Acquia

Thomas Erickson

Best Career Move You'll Ever Make

Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Acquia full-time for more than a year

ProsThe passion and intelligence at this company is unbelievable. My time here has been like getting an MBA (I have my M.S. and I have learned more in my 2 years at Acquia than in my 5 years in college)

When I came to Acquia I thought I was hard working. The people at Acquia have redefined my definition of hard work, and it has brought out the best in me and has taken me to a new level. You've never see so many dedicated and fun people in one company.

ConsThis company can be challenging for people that look at their work as a job and not a career. To be successful here you’ve got to be committed to the success of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementI’ve had an incredibly positive experience with management and consider many of the employees my role models.

Great experience but growing pains still exist

I have been working at Acquia

ProsThe community and culture created by the employees is fantastic. The opportunity to get in to a rapidly growing company, pre-IPO, should inspire many. You get a very tangible sense of customer satisfaction.

ConsAs Acquia is still growing and finding its feet, there are a lot of internal decision making processes that are not yet ironed out. Employee advocacy and feedback could be improved.

Great people, horrible management

Sales (Former Employee)
Reading, England (UK)

I worked at Acquia full-time

ProsAcquia EMEA had some great people. Unfortunately middle/senior management pushed them all out. Nice office but not great location for acquiring and retaining talent. The tech and support side of things run very smoothly. Great people there and middle management there knows what it takes to keep people happy both on the customer side and employee side of things. Wish I could say the same of sales. Also, really believe in the product and the passion of those working to improve it.

ConsVery cut-throat culture for the sales team. The "you're only as good as your last quarter" mentality has never been as true as here. And even if you do well but don't play their political games you stand the chance of being given the boot. You're not encouraged to think for yourself at all. The weather in the UK changes less than process, procedures and structure at Acquia (Not to mention employees). This was literally the worse job I ever had but with the highest potential. If only they would get their act together.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise senior management in the US to take a very close look at what's happening in the EMEA office. With the high level of staff turnover for more than a year and a half now they must realise that the problem lies more with management than with the sales team. People don't even get the chance to finish their ramp-plan before getting pushed out. You'll never have a fully functioning sales team if you don't provide the proper training or push them out before they even had a chance. You need to get a proper sales structure in and stick to it. Listen more to your employees as they are at the frontline with your customers. They hear the a

Awesome Experience

I have been working at Acquia full-time for more than a year

ProsMoving really fast. There's a lot happening which makes it a very interesting employer. Technically very challenging when you are an engineer. Also as a client advisor there is not a single day you are not challenged. Not your average software job!

ConsDue to the speed of growth, there are some pains and structures that are not always very clear.

Drinking from the Fire Hose

Technical Account Manager (Current Employee)
Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Acquia full-time for less than a year

ProsHigh profile clients, The absolute best technical knowledge in the industry, bar none, very FUN oriented corporate culture. Great pay and benefits. Client Advocacy is a primary focus.

Tom Erickson is a very motivated and inspiring CEO. In fact, all of the upper Management has been nothing, if not interested in cultivating excellence in their employees.

I LOVE this job.

ConsProcess is constantly evolving... it is hard to keep up with the changes. The company is rapidly growing... so it feels like it is always a little understaffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course. Remain responsive to your team, as well as your clients.

One hell of a ride.....

I have been working at Acquia full-time for less than a year

ProsI've worked in a number start-ups and by far this is the most exciting. If you've done the whole pre-IPO thing a few times you learn to sniff out the DNA of those few companies that have the potential to really shake things up.....become disruptive I believe is the term.

Acquia is fast moving, entrepreneurial, challenging, focused and for the most part...Winning!

ConsIts fast, fast, fast....you cant possibly grow a business this quickly without the a few teething problems. There are problem in every organisation and Acquia is no different. I am however glad that our problems are driven by demand for our services and not by lack of opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the recruitment bar high.........

Nov 17, 2013

Wow. Excited to have team members like you. As I have mentioned, the ride at Acquia is not for everyone, but you seem to really enjoy the pace. As for teething, some times I think of it like a ... More

Great Culture. Company really cares about its employees

Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Acquia full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat company culture - more so in the HQ. Senior management seems to genuinely really care about its employees and are really approachable. 'Fun' start-up culture. Lots of opportunity to learn. Hard work recognised and appreciated. Very nice people in general to work with.

ConsSometimes too many people get involved in a single project which slows it down, but I guess we do have the slogan 'jump in and own it'!

Nov 17, 2013

I really appreciate you taking the time to complete this review, and am pleased you like being part of the team. I agree that our intensive focus on customer success and the DNA of "jumping in ... More

How to be successful in sales - Acquia will teach you how!

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Acquia full-time for less than a year

ProsFantastic sales training program for driving the sales cycle, understanding the vast suite of products and what it takes to be a top rep in the technology sales business. Best training I've ever been through and would highly recommend to my peers.

ConsIf your goal is to be successful and grow as a salesperson then this is the place for you.

Sep 29, 2013

Thanks for this note. Great to see your perspective on the investment we make in our people, given that it's also a high pressure environment focused on success for the individuals, their teams and ... More

4 years and going strong

I have been working at Acquia full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI've been with the company for 4 years now. As a Sr. manager within the organization, I tell people all the time - this is absolutely the best group of people I have ever worked with. People are honest, ethical, work their tails off and collaborate very well. I truly enjoy my co-workers, the space, and the culture at Acquia.

ConsSometimes tough to turn off, but it is part of being a part of a fast growing, exciting company. It "comes with the territory."

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on hiring based upon cultural fit - single biggest contributor to the great company we have built.

Sep 17, 2013

Thanks for the post. Building a market changing offering takes extreme amounts of effort and Acquia appreciates the work that you and the others have done. As one of the longest serving Acquians ... More

Great place to work

Technical Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Acquia full-time for more than a year

ProsFocus on communication, no person left out, diversity, awesome learning opportunities

ConsFast pace, always changing, senior management separation, lack of follow through

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on accountability, use more personality training across the board, implement peer review based incentives that are not a popularity contest

Aug 09, 2013

On behalf of Michael Krause ..

Thanks for your review. I’m glad you feel Acquia is a great place to work. Part of what makes it a great place for learning is the pace, which as you point out
... More

Worked for Acquia? Contribute to the Community!

Acquia Videos

Acquia – Why Work for Us?

Acquia is where great digital experiences begin. Our digital innovation platform empowers market-leading enterprise organizations to move at the speed of the web, providing agility, integration and resiliency… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Acquia reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Acquia CEO Thomas Erickson. All 24 reviews are posted anonymously by Acquia employees.