Acquia

Updated 3 December 2014
4.0

Acquia CEO Thomas Erickson
Thomas Erickson

What Tom Erickson is doing on Glassdoor is OUTSTANDING!

I have been working at Acquia

Pros

I'm not going to comment on the company. Rather, I'm going to point out that the fact that Tom Erickson, the CEO, takes the time to craft a personal and specific response to every Glassdoor review, positive or negative, is highly unique and truly outstanding. Most companies don't even respond to reviews, and when they do, it's a BS boilerplate response crafted by the HR team. Tom should be applauded for recognizing the power of social in the workplace and the impact reputation has on a company's ability to both recruit and ultimately, succeed in the market. KUDOS Tom!!!

Cons

I see no cons worth mentioning in the context of this review and the point I'm communicating.

See above. Keep doing it, Tom!

Dec 08, 2014CEO

Wow. Did not expect this. I am glad you appreciate my responses. I learn a lot from each of the posts, positive or negative, and try to ensure we reinforce the positives and correct the ... More

Fast paced

I have been working at Acquia

Pros

You are never the smartest person in the room

Cons

Extremely fast pace working environment

Nov 20, 2014CEO

A couple of facts for sure. Thanks for your post. The pace is certainly not for everyone and it's not easy to be >550 people and still growing >40% a year. Yet, many thrive and we'd love to ... More

Exceptional culture, people and a FUN market

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Acquia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Exceptional culture. People are encouraged to collaborate freely, and speak their mind in open forum. A more recent focus on diversity is awesome as well.

- Smart people. The smartest group of people I've ever had the pleasure to work with.

- FUN market. What our customers build is simply awesome, and we help them transform their business - which is awesome too. It's much different than working at a company who sells "black boxes".

Cons

- Hard to be disconnected, but yet the culture is very flexible. People work long hours, but are encouraged to take time for family, flexible hours, or difficult commutes.

- If you work in Burlington, there's not much around the office. Makes for a more difficult social life within work - but the recent announcement of moving to Boston should fix that!

- Simplify the messaging, and stay focused on customer success. The maniacal focus on customer success although painful sometimes is very much so appreciated by customers.

Oct 27, 2014CEO

Thank you for your comments. I certainly appreciate getting different perspectives of what it's like to be part of the Acquia team. It's not for everyone, but clearly you have found a home. Thank ... More

Micromanaged Fast Growing Company

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Acquia full-time

Pros

The guy who created Drupal is there, and the company has the best Drupal talent in the market. Their Professional Services team can't be beat and the in-house tech team is very talented. They also have a very impressive client list.

Cons

It's the most micromanaged company that I have every experienced. There are meetings about meetings to get updates to the updates, and it's never enough. The micromanagement is a terrible waste of time and shows a lack of trust in the employees.

The goal all along seemed to be focused on an IPO. It never felt like things were growing organically. Always felt like the Board wanted specific results to get to the IPO, and the Management would micromanage based on the Board's expectations. They were really putting the cart before the horse.

Merge with or buy Phase2. If Acquia had a development arm they would have a monopoly on the Drupal market.

Trust your hiring process. If you hire properly you won't need to micromanage as your employees will be capable of doing the job you are paying them to do.

Focus more on your product than you do the IPO. If you do what you're supposed to the IPO will happen.

Accept that you are a business and not just a profitable arm of this open-source community. Offer Development services.

Oct 27, 2014CEO

Thanks for the comments. I see you worked in sales, so I'll reply with that context. I am confused by a couple of your comments, including "never felt like things were growing organically". We ... More

Intern

I worked at Acquia as an intern

Pros

Great Atmosphere and great coworkers

Cons

Can be distracting at times to get work done

Nov 20, 2014CEO

Thanks for your note. We love our interns and it seems like you enjoyed yourself. Hopefully you also learned some things as we try to make it a rewarding experience as you get ready to begin your ... More

Incredible People, High Profile Customers, Lots of Learning

Current Employee - Customer Support in Burlington, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Burlington, MA (US)

I have been working at Acquia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people who work here are brilliant and fun to work with, and the culture here is amazing and very laid back. People are allowed to express their minds without reprisal, and we are encouraged to think outside the box and take chances when we have ideas we want to explore. Flexible vacation and sick days. CEO and most of the Exec Team are very approachable and usually fairly open to ideas and constructive criticism (within reason), and progress is always being made to improve office life and working conditions.

Cons

There is limited room for advancement in most departments, which is somewhat understandable since you can't promote everyone, but it would be nice if they were more candid about that. If you do find your way into a new position, it can be a struggle to get more money unless you're a rockstar and/or irreplaceable. Expect an uphill battle on either front.

Additionally, several departments are consistently understaffed as Acquia searches for more talent to keep up with our growth, vacations, and the occasional departure, so that can lead to a consistent middle-to-high level of stress, especially for departments with fewer people.

For most of us, though, the Pros that come with working here vastly outweigh the Cons. It's just good to know them up front.

Things have constantly been improving here over the past 2 years, and there are so many exciting changes and improvements on the horizon. Please continue to support these initiatives and push for them to be completed as quickly as possible without sacrificing their quality.

Please also consult more frequently with lower-level employees to candidly discuss their concerns and recommendations. There are a lot of great ideas floating around to improve efficiency and morale, but they rarely seem to make it through the "filters" in middle- and upper-management, and when they do, no time is allocated to work on them because of limited staffing and higher priorities.

Oct 27, 2014CEO

Excellent commentary. Thanks. Very pleased you like it at Acquia, you're clearly the type of individual with this thoughtfulness that can help us continue to improve our company. You bring up a ... More

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Burlington, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Burlington, MA (US)

I have been working at Acquia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great values.
    - Lots of star players on every team, very inspiring.
    - Tons of commitment to our customers and products. "Jump in and own it!"
    - Progressive vacation and sick policies, mutually respectful "do your job well and enjoy your time off" attitude.
    - Very flexible to telecommuting, at least in my department.

Cons

- Way too much to do ALL the time, can feel overwhelming.
    - You're responsible for your own work/life balance. You can work yourself into the ground if you are not careful.

Keep it up.

Jul 09, 2014CEO

Very excited to see that you enjoy being part of the Acquia team! There's no doubt we have tons of stuff to do as we try and change the way enterprises think about innovation around their digital ... More

Ready, Set, GO!

Current Employee - Sales in Burlington, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales in Burlington, MA (US)

I have been working at Acquia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can feel the momentum in Drupal adoption in the enterprise. This is going to be big..

Leadership in every department is phenomenal. Culture comes first here and it shows in many ways - community service opportunities, company Red Sox games, open door policies with leadership, food trucks, etc.

Be ready to ride this roller coaster with a community of people that want to WIN!

Cons

Training for new hires can be better. It is something they are actively working on and investing in. Be prepared to leverage those around you to learn more.

Continue to invest heavily in our new hires to prepare them to succeed here.

Jul 09, 2014CEO

Thanks for your comments! I think it's going to be big also! Sales is a constantly changing world at Acquia as we evolve our model to optimize for verticals, new products and the mid-market ... More

Incredible opportunity - seize the moment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Acquia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Acquia is an incredible place to work and an amazing opportunity for employees. It has very mature sales operations and marketing processes as well as a great professional services and support team. Prospects are plentiful and the demand for the products and services is very high. Customer satisfaction appears high.

Employees are passionate, intelligent and a pleasure to spend time with and they have a great can-do attitude across the globe. The leadership team is very experienced and approachable and the open door policy is refreshing. They are willing to listen to ideas and suggestions and you feel empowered to make decisions and own things.

With the momentum of open source and Drupal and the rise of the importance of digital within Enterprise organisations, Acquia is definitely on track to grow and grow and if you seize the moment and are along for the ride, you'll be handsomely rewarded!

Cons

As with any growing company, there are some issues and problems that crop up but they are becoming less and less and the ones that do are more day to day operational ones that any business experiences.
    The pace is hectic and you can feel pushed and pulled in all directions. You need to be organised to cope with the demands but that's how any work hard, play hard company operates.

Aug 05, 2014CEO

Thank you for your post. I'm very pleased that you like the opportunity at Acquia. We're constantly trying to figure out how to hire faster and better to alleviate the stresses of hyper growth ... More

Great company!

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Burlington, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Burlington, MA (US)

I have been working at Acquia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You'll work with very smart people in a fast paced environment. There is plenty of opportunity for career advancement. Hard work is recognized and rewarded. This company isn't perfect but it is going places.

Cons

Work life balance is difficult to achieve considering the pace of growth and general pressures placed on employees. There are sometimes clashes between sales and marketing and long time Drupal community members but they are being managed. The company is trying hard to establish its own culture and identity but too often it is a tech-startup cliche (ie. nerf guns, foosball, beer pong). At least it is trying and is full of great people. I'm confident that these issues will mostly be worked out over time.

You've got a great thing going on! Stay focused. Invest in Drupal itself to make it the dominant platform for the web. Don't forget the SMB market. Keep investing in marketing but consider quality over quantity. Don't be afraid to be blunt and real about things that aren't going well.

Jul 09, 2014CEO

Some great advice here. Perhaps you managed to give our marketing team some advice, as our discussion yesterday about our Q3 plans reflects your statement above. Come by and talk to Tom W and see ... More