Act-On Software

Updated 30 January 2015
3.8

Raghu Raghavan

Best Marketing Automation Company

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Roseville, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Roseville, CA (US)

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Cutting edge technology that brings proven results - delivering strong ROI for clients. Heavy customer success model, both large and small clients receive white glove service. Awesome culture, rapidly growing, fast paced environment.

Cons

Reader beware of negative reviews of under-performing sales reps - This is not a typical sales job where you float along and "get by" missing goals. Act-On is the fastest growing marketing automation company in the world and requires Top Talent in every role. If you are truly motivated to be your best while finding ways to improve professional development and driven to help businesses leverage a great SaaS platform to achieve their goals, dive-in.

Great place to work with amazing people. Fast-paced 'find-a-way' attitude permeates the organization.

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Superior product and people in an environment of growth. Great company benefits/pay/culture. Very 'Customer-Centric' attitude from the top down and management certainly practices what they preach.

Cons

This is a fast-paced environment- and defiantly not for everyone. The people I am surrounded by are all the 'best-of-the-best', and I think this can be misinterpreted as 'unfair' if you are not acclimated to a high-growth based environment.

Keep going- and thank you for the incredible product in such a growth industry.

Regional Sales Manager more than six months

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time

Pros

I actually look forward to work each day.. Act-On is a genuinely fun place to work. This is not manufactured fun like my past jobs at big software companies, The local office doesn't have ping pong or Foosball like other Act-On locations... We have laughs, gongs, high fives. . I have my down moments when a sale goes bad, or I'm hung up on for the second time in a day. But .that's no different than any other sales job. In fact the focus on performance and pressure to perform is pretty mild. The most pressure I feel is from other sales people.

I work in the newest Act-On office. The management is always busy, so you have to get used to very direct answers and an occasional expletive for punctuation.. Not rude, just very direct. You always know where you stand. But I think they would stand in front of a bullet for me .I get the feeling that the management really cares about all of the employees.

At first, I was a little worried about the job. Beginning with the temporary office, flip flop wearing, out-of-state manager, helter- skelter work pace and the scary number of new people being hired.

I'm not worried any more. I can absolutely see this as a long term career.

Cons

The office is small and loud. We have 20 people within 30 feet, of each other, all talking on the phone at the same time. Well, It is unnerving and it takes a while to get comfortable with the constant chatter. I'm looking forward to our flashy new office. I hear it's much bigger.

Hire more managers and slow down on hiring new sales people. All signs point to the hiring process speeding up.

This is the absolute best company that I have ever worked for! 5 start work environment!

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everyone in the office is great to work with and will help out at any time. The money is amazing! Snacks and food stocked at all time. You can play ping pong and bags at any time. Management is 5 star!

Cons

It takes some time to ramp up and get going. If you want to be extremely successful you do have to put in more than 8 hours a day on average.

Management is amazing. I've been here a year and a half and never had one issue with management. There is no micromanagement and you are allowed to do your thing.

Act-On Software Job Review

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great Culture, hardworking people and a lot of opportunity for success. The company gives you the tools to be successful and make good money.

Cons

Just like any start up there are transition periods, but nothing that is uncommon in the software field.

This job is 100% what you make it!

I have been working at Act-On Software

Pros

Great team atmosphere. They really seem to hire both on skill and culture as our office gets along really well as a whole. Management is willing to help you and do anything for you but you must be proactive in engaging them. This company let's you sell how you want to sell. If you are doing well, you will never hear anything but praise no matter if you are making 100 dials or 10 dials a day. Management was VERY upfront about their expectations prior to me being hired. I knew exactly what I was getting into. Great place to come in and make an impact that benefits both this growing company, and your own bank account!

Cons

The only con really is this is sales in a high growth atmosphere. That means some 50+ hour weeks. I've seen other reviews that mention 60+ hours and that is just sour grapes. Since they let you have so much freedom, it's on you to use your time wisely. Finally, this company has grown extremely fast. That means some managers are in their first role in management. It puts more responsibility on the individual to learn on their own with the resources we have. If you need someone to constantly monitor you and tell you what to do, this is not the place for you!

Put in formal management training for new managers to help them ramp up faster. You've done a great job in the past several months to refocus on your valuable employees, please don't stop.

Trust the negative reviews as they are spot on...

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people in general
    Fun energy and vibe initially
    Good for about 3 months if you need an in between job.
    Easy interview process.

Cons

They will probably crash and burn as turnover is really bad.
    Everyday has no work life balance is like working a typical sales job end of the quarter.
    Where there is smoke there is fire. Plenty of negative reviews on here to show a trend of place that does not truly value their reps. Read through them as you will spot a few similar points.
    Favoritism is huge as you do not have a territory. The senior selected reps get all the big agencies and just sit back making money.
    The 80/20 rule is big at Act-On. 80% not making it while 20% (favorites) hit their number.
    This is an outbound sales call center where smiling and dialing is the name of the game.

If you want to be a cutthroat company then by all means keep at it. Eventually you are going to have a hard time finding real talent and not just people who were selling cars before Act-On. Quit posting fake 5 star reviews on here as anyone seeking a job sees right though it.

Hard Work, Great Rewards

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have been in sales for many years and have experienced both the good and the bad. Act-On is one of the best places I have worked. They work long hours and there is always a focus on hitting your numbers and working hard. But along with that, they treat you with respect and reward you for your efforts. Rewards include nice paychecks, bonuses, trips, and options. I knew going into sales that it would be a grind, but that doesn't scare me AS LONG AS I GET PAID! I have seen negative reviews on here about the hours and the stress. I work long hours, not because they MAKE ME, but because I am the type of person that will do whatever it takes to exceed my quota and make that money. The environment and people that I work with are awesome. Free food, ping pong, and incentives make it a great place to work.

Cons

Again, the hours can be long and there are days when I feel like I am winning, and others when I feel like I am not. I have to remember that there will be ups and downs, but that is what big boy sales is all about. It is a roller coaster, but as long as you win more than you lose you will be successful. It is not a job for the 8-5 time clock guy. There will also be times when I need to be doing things from home. I wish I had more of a work-life balance, but overall I am happy.

Please even out the amount of kudo's you pass out with the amount of failure updates. Trust me, we know when we are not performing and we are trying to work on it.

Don't take a Sales Job Here

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Company Meals twice a week and they let you drink at work...that is seriously about it.. Truly a Good Product.

Cons

Fear for your Job on a daily basis, churn em and burn em here. If you are part of the "In" crowd, and kiss butt, they will throw you deals from reps that have just been fired, if you work hard but don't kiss butt, you get nothing except criticism on how you should be working harder.. 10-12 Hour Days, If you miss your number for 1 quarter you are on the chopping Block. They send you to training to learn a stupid "Gap Chart" that most offices tell you not to use when you get back anyway, you spend an entire week learning about a Gap chart and literally NOTHING about Product, Competition, How to Demo the product etc... Training was a complete waste of time and had me no more prepared to sell Act-On than someone off the street. Once your back from training it's 80-100 calls a day to crap leads (ironic because they are a company that is supposed to help companies get better leads) of people that will never buy the software. No sales territories, so you are at the mercy of the lead spinner and what you can self source. In the East, they have a girl who they promoted to manager, who flat out lies to customers, gets them to sign and then they de-book a month later once they realize the BS she sold them..Yet, they high five away and act like she is the chosen one. I can't stress enough the constant fear of getting fired. I'm afraid to attend a family funeral because they will get mad that I am not there that day. No opportunity to work from home..0 Work/Life Balance...Growing much too fast to support their reps..When you are a seasoned sales rep and working 10-12 hour days and still not closing business after making hundreds of calls on a weekly basis, there is something wrong. Only a small percentage of Reps are hitting Quota, and most are seasoned reps or have relationships with Agencies that feed them business. Very hard to be happy and successful at Act-On IMO. How can you be strategic if you are just smiling and dialing crap leads all day?

Too Much to list... But mainly, revamp your training program to actually teach people about the product so they can be successful in the role. Stop firing people and start looking in the mirror.