Advance Auto Parts

Updated 21 November 2014
2.8

Advance Auto Parts CEO and Director Darren R. Jackson
Darren R. Jackson

Pros
  • If you know nothing about cars you can learn a lot (in 14 reviews)

• Good benefits, fellow employees are good to work with (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't seem to show enough appreciation for store employees (in 68 reviews)

• Detached upper management who would rather use fear through sharklike district managers than encouragement (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing.....!

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts

Pros

Great detailed information about auto parts, I ll be visiting you more frequently, here is
    very interesting information.

Cons

No Advice...because u dida great job in every work.

PleasePostRegularly.............!

Company Used to be a Much Better Place to Work.

Former Employee - Salesperson in Lexington, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Salesperson in Lexington, KY (US)

I worked at Advance Auto Parts part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on the store you work at you will either love it or hate it. The store that I worked at was great, management, everyone. The company also like to promote within, except the district managers. Before they fired all the other managers in the district and replaced them with former managers from Best Buy it was an awesome part time job. I worked here all through college and had a good time, decent money for a part time job.

Cons

With new management, hours dropped, we were short staffed, and were expected to sell way to much. There was an unrealistic amount of training videos to watch with the less than 40 hours a week that is considered full time. The one thing I hated about working here was when people had unrealistic expectations of you when they bought something. Some people would get mad because we wouldn't put a light bulb in for them.

Focus more on employees, higher wages, and better hours for full time workers.

Advance is a decent place, but management from DM to AGM need to be more professional

Current Employee - Retail Sales, MVR, Key Holder in Charleston, WV (US)
    Current Employee - Retail Sales, MVR, Key Holder in Charleston, WV (US)

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hours are great for someone looking for a part time job to either make additional ends meet, or just to have some extra cash.
    Overall day to day operations are normal.

Cons

GM shows favoritism for employees that are basically "the managers pet". GM would rather point finger to non essential employees over holding key employees to higher levels that their title holds the accountable for.

Train your GM's better. Show no difference between your day and night shift crews. Stop stereo typing the tasks, for example taking the trash out is the night crews job. If the trash can is full, or the restroom needs to be cleaned and a team member during the day has free time, then do it. We are a team, stop treating the day crew differently from the night crew, we all are working toward the same goal, make the company profitable.

Good company objectives, bad management.

I worked at Advance Auto Parts

Pros

I enjoyed helping customers find the parts they needed for their car(s). The other employees were pleasurable to work with.

Cons

The job was stressful, as there was often a language barrier (the area featured many Spanish-speaking people and I only speak English).

Hire better managers who actually care about their job.

Unappreciative

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you have experience, the POS and parts lookup systems are basic so a transition won't be difficult. Many locations to work at.

Cons

Was told by a district manager that "...this company isn't for you" because I had many years of management experience and parts knowledge. "If you want to get paid for your experience and knowledge then this company isn't for you." I knew then the reason for the vast underpayment of the staff and why the staff was adequate at best...

One of the few companies that I worked for that even part time people don't earn ANY vacation time. Pay people based on their experience and merits and you will receive a better quality employee.

Have had much better employers then Advance.

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the employees in the store are basically good hard working people.

Cons

Middle Management is by far the worse in my 25 year career! Nothing even close.

Future Growth

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for upward movement if your planning to start a career here. Company looks to challenge their team members to grow in their specialties and improve on their weak points.

Cons

Some restrictions with running the business as you wish from a GM perspective, 50 hour per week salary can be tough at times. Vacation time is capped at a certain point.

Culture is moving in a positive direction to be more interactive and collaborative.

Alright place to work for.

Current Employee - Retail Parts Pro in Eldorado (Argentina)
    Current Employee - Retail Parts Pro in Eldorado (Argentina)

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great customers. Has its moments

Cons

Low pay. Long hours with little time off.

Great Journey

Current Employee - GM -District Manager
    Current Employee - GM -District Manager

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Been in business for more than 80 years and continues to do the things to make sure we will be around for at least the next 80 years

Cons

Health Benefits are tough for everyone, AAP needs to find a way to make ours better

Continue to listen to the Field and make great choices to make us the best

Decent company to work for, but be ready to work and work hard

Former Employee - Team Member in Hampton, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Team Member in Hampton, VA (US)

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, decent on-the-job training. Great discounts for team members. Decent benefits
    I was at a store that had a tight team. Whether needing someone up front at the registers, assisting a customer on the floor, outside doing a battery or conducting inventory we covered each other. It all depends on store management.

Cons

Stores are consistently understaffed. So get ready to work. Work hard and work fast.
    This is due to the way corporate requires sales vs work hours in order to schedule additional hours. Corporate (not including DM's) only sees numbers and do not view the customer as the priority.
    The store I worked at rarely ever had more than 2 scheduled after 6pm (even on a Friday/Saturday night).
    If a customer needed a battery install that would leave only one in the store which was not only a customer service issue but a safety issue as well. There were nights when me and another team member had 5-7 customers in line at 7pm. This is what corporate lacks to observe. Ensuring the customer is satisfied instead of being rushed so a TM can get to the next customer.
    There appears to be a large rift between corporate and the stores. DM's seem to be corporate puppets lately.

Accept recommendations at the store level. Listen closely to GM's and TM's. After all they are working the front line. They see the customers needs.
    Give leeway for DM's and GM's to allow for additional hours for scheduling. Reduce corporate spending and invest at the store level (including additional workforce scheduling). Update the POS and Ignite systems (which was supposed to be completed last year).

Advance Auto Parts Photos