Aegis Living
www.aegisliving.com Redmond, WA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Aegis Living Reviews

Updated Mar 03, 2014

Dwayne Clark

Pros:
  • "Aegis is made up of a family of co-workers making life better for each other, residents and families"
    in 6 reviews
  • "The work environment is such a positive experience"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "It's a lot of responsibility to provide the best care and service for seniors which requires having enough employees to give their 100% every day"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Their more distant properties from the home base in Seattle don't reap the rewards of having access to upper management"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Beneath the surface

I have been working at Aegis Living full-time

ProsYou can feel good about what you're doing for others. The team members, for the most part, are wonderful people. There is very little micro managing. Corporate events are fun.

ConsThe hours employees put in are many and there is no reward for hard work. Executives aren't open to ideas and suggestions for improvement. Much of the sentiment expressed seems to be just for show.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let the culture that's been built slip away

Marketing Director

Marketing Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Aegis Living full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking with the elderly. Busy, challenging (not boring!), Very hard working group of peers - I found them to be inspiring. Everyone works hard and hustles!

ConsGenerally speaking, LOTS OF EMPLOYEE TURNOVER. Not good for residents and harder to do your job as a Marketing Director (can't build trust with families).

Very competitive/cutthroat. If you don't cut their mustard, they let you go very quickly (sometimes without so much as a warning). I wasn't fired for the record, I left on my own volition, but I saw many MDs around me let go and it created a lot of fear/disillusionment. MDs can be the scapegoat for EDs.

As they grow, they don't seem to notice that their values are becoming increasingly compromised. The kool aid is diluted! Corporate seemed to turn blind eye to GMs that fill up building, but don't treat staff well.

Last, but not least, I hated offering promises to families of loved ones about fabulous activities, which were immediately cut when census dropped. It was disheartening not to deliver. Penny pinching practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne of the most successful GMs was a bully behind closed doors and practices unethical behavior.

I love the residents.

Lead Medtech CNA (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aegis Living full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe residents who live at Aegis are what keeps me there.

ConsThey do not hire qualified people,which doubles the work load for the qualified employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise the pay and raise the expectations for performance.The standards for training new hires is very poor.
Recently, Aegis hired a person right out of cna school. He was trained by a person who had been with Aegis for two weeks. He was promoted to lead with exactly one month experience as a cna while management overlooked other better qualified employees. So the blind are leading the blind and management does not care. Duane Clark does not care about anyone but himself and his bank account.

Very disappointing experience. Residents and family members should be top priority.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Aptos, CA (US)

I worked at Aegis Living part-time for less than a year

ProsPleasant work surroundings, beautiful and clean environment. Residents and family members are great. Staff overall are very nice and polite.

ConsCommunication between management and staff is lacking. Staff including management at times behave as if they are in a regular workplace not a place where people live. Poor scheduling by management and not enough care managers for the residents. Residents needs and family members concern often disregarded by upper management. Upper management many times exhibit unprofessional behavior and make negative comments about a resident or family member to other staff members. Life Neighborhood lacking in activities and only a few care managers seem to understand the importance of engaging the residents. Residents for majority of time watch tv which is turned up too loud while care managers text or eat.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to orient a new employee with the facility and introduce them to staff on their first day. Be proactive rather then reactive. Communicate with staff and spend more time engaging residents when they are in the lobby or when there is entertainment. Residents needs and concerns should be a higher priority then getting a meal from the kitchen or making sure that their are fresh flowers in the lobby. I really respect Dwayne Clark and his blog really resonated with me as I have always had a genuine care and respect for seniors. I don't think Aegis of Aptos is a good representation of Aegis as a whole.

A dream caree

Director of Marketing (Current Employee)
Bothell, WA (US)

I have been working at Aegis Living full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAegis living is an employee first company which offers all of its employees an amazing and challenging work environment with excellent benefits and wages, opportunity for advancement and the opportunity to grow a career in a rewarding and positive industry.

ConsThere are no downsides with Aegis!

Excellent and rewarding work environment

Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Aegis Living full-time

ProsTruly outstanding company culture from top to bottom, very focused on providing care and conscious of it's mission. While Aegis is run with a very healthy focus on the bottom line and the health of the business, there is a pervasive sense of what and who the work we do is truly for. This can be a tough industry to work in, with a lot of conflicting motivations, but Aegis navigates these potential conflicts of interest between care and profit very well, because the management and ownership continually expresses and lives the values of the company.

Cultural fit in new hires is a big deal here and I think that goes a long way toward keeping the place so positive and friendly. Easily the most positive work culture I have ever been involved with.

ConsSome frustrations with unrealistic expectations, having eyes bigger than our pocketbooks.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to reinforce the cultural aspects of working at Aegis. This is truly a differentiator and can't be allowed to decay over time. Understand the benefits of keeping the culture alive outweigh the costs.

The best job I ever had that isn't a job at all. It is giving and receiving, every minute of the day. I'm blessed.

Marketing Concierge (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Aegis Living full-time for more than 3 years

ProsResidents, families and team mates make up the fabric of my work life. Each one as giving as the next.

ConsCan't take the residents home with me!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being the down to earth people you are. You make everyone feel like they fit in and are important.

Count yourself blessed to work for such a life changing company!

Business Office (Current Employee)
Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Aegis Living full-time for less than a year

ProsWaking up each day knowing you have another opportunity to love, encourage and serve residents, families and fellow employees.

ConsWhen a resident passes away....they become an extension of our own family

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to love and reward the care managers, they are the heart of the company

Great company to work for

General Manager (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Aegis Living full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat corporate office, very supportive Executive team. great values and culture. opportunity for growth. great peer group. company really cares about all levels of staff. great team to be part of in the community where I work.

Consno cons that I know of

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the great work

Love working with elderly

Hostess (Current Employee)
Laguna Niguel, CA (US)

I have been working at Aegis Living full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAble to work a flexible schedule

ConsNo negatives at aegis of Laguna Niguel

Advice to Senior Managementnothing negative at aegis of Laguna Niguel

Worked for Aegis Living? Contribute to the Community!

Aegis Living Videos

Aegis Living – Why Work for Us?

With 30 senior housing communities in three states, it is our great privilege to share in the lives of our residents, and we’re honored to learn the wisdom each person has developed over a lifetime. As a leader in… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aegis Living reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Aegis Living CEO Dwayne Clark. All 77 reviews are posted anonymously by Aegis Living employees.