Aflac Reviews

Updated 12 September 2014
3.1

Aflac Chairman and CEO Dan Amos
Dan Amos

Pros
  • You can set your own hours, work from virtually anywhere, and there is unlimited income potential (in 20 reviews)

• Management is very engaged with making sure that employees maintain a good work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary or ramp up funds to help beginners, training is not so great (in 24 reviews)

• lack of initial support - but it's like any 100% commission job: "you reap what you sow" (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Too risky

Former Employee - Benefits Associate  in  Raleigh, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Benefits Associate in Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at Aflac full-time for less than a year

Pros

As a newcomer, there is lots of training, a welcoming atmosphere, and a competitive environment to inspire you to make sales.

Cons

If you're too young to have a book of business already, you're wasting your time. Most of their techniques are based on people you already know. As a transplant to the area, I made cold calls 98% of the time. Potential clients will get your hopes up, then cancel at the last minute. After months without a sale, I attempted to recruit an individual and presented my supervisors with an untapped market of unemployed individuals to reach out to and was told I could profit from each person that became an employee. The supervisor ignored the former and forgot about the latter.

Respect the efforts of your employees, especially if it's their only chance to make an income.

Weak Training is an Understatement

I have been working at Aflac for more than a year

Pros

Could come and go as pleased. No real accountability.

Cons

Made $9k first year, and was an award winner for consistent production...you do the math. They charge reps for the ducks, btw.

Don't hire kids out of college, it's just not a place for young folk to cut their teeth.

Good interning experience for the short term, but not recommendable for a full time position

Former Employee - Health and Accident Insurance Producer  in  College Park, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Health and Accident Insurance Producer in College Park, MD (US)

I worked at Aflac part-time for less than a year

Pros

Aflac offered numerous incentives, which were unrealistic for interns to achieve; including 5-8% commissions for interns per health insurance policy interns sell to each business.
    The pro would be gaining experience in how insurance is sold and cold calling potential customers.

Cons

Inadequate employee training, high turnover, pay only by commission and the feeling that management didn't care too much about new hires. Essentially, us interns were thrown to the wolves after a week of training and required to do a lot of cold calling with no success.

Management really needs to consider investing more time and interest into training new hires and teaching the essential skills of hooking and selling potential insurance clients.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Roller coaster

Former Employee - Associate  in  Rapid City, SD (US)
    Former Employee - Associate in Rapid City, SD (US)

I worked at Aflac as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

It is your own business, you work as much or little as you want.

Cons

It is not as easy as they make it sound.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Aflac full-time for more than a year

Pros

commission is limitless
    free of micromanagement
    flexible schedule
    you are your own boss

Cons

cold calling
    prospecting
    hard selling
    no base pay
    commission only
    they will hire anyone

Instead of hiring everyone for the sole purpose of receiving your quarterly bonus, try hiring based on talent and skill. Aflac might not have such high turnover is a base pay was implemented.

Not A Job For Most

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

The sky is the limit if you can actually do the job. Minimum supervision. Set your own schedule.

Cons

Dog eat dog. Aflac contracts 100s of associates in your area to flood the market with associates. Management encourages associates to support each other, but really associates mainly support the managers by helping them to win trips and bonuses. 98% fail. The 2% make very good money. There is no real help to succeed past your initial training. If you produce numbers that help the managers, then they will help you. While you are independent Aflac does have a management structure that you must deal with. Once you are successful you can ignore management most of the time. If you are struggling they will try to get you to quit. For every 100 who start, only 1 or 2 remain after 24 months.

Aflac as a company needs to hire the managers instead of having independent ones. Management needs to be consistent. Management should have the highest ethics ( right now it's all about the earnings). If you want clients to see a professional face on the associates, then managers need to be professional. Contract fewer associates. Train those you contract. Reduce the turnover. Clients see the "new faces" coming in their doors. Some clients see new associates every annual enrollment. That is not good for anyone.

Turn and burn agents lack of training

Current Employee - Independent Agent  in  Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Independent Agent in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I have been working at Aflac full-time for less than a year

Pros

Potential for income is limitless if you do not want a family life.

Cons

Lack of training for new agents

Train and some income from corporate for those who are willing to give 100% for a lifetime of financial security.

I was a independent sales rep

I worked at Aflac

Pros

Freedom, pay for your own gas, pay for your own license, pay out your pocket for everything

Cons

Long time inbetween commissions, management will steal accounts

Turned loose with no training and set up to fail.

Former Employee - Independent Agent  in  North Platte, NE (US)
    Former Employee - Independent Agent in North Platte, NE (US)

I worked at Aflac as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

You have a lot of freedom to work your own schedule and earnings potential is uncapped if you have the discipline to do the work.

Cons

The was very little training and support, at least from the district office that I was associated with. They just kind of turned me loose and I often was not even able to reach the District Sales Coordinator if I had a question. They just hire as many people as they can and see who sticks because since it is 100% commission from day 1 and they don't take any real time to train you, the turnover does not cost them monetarily. They also turn to many people loose in the same area and you end up all working the same potential customers.

Take the time to hire the right people and train them properly. It may cost a little more in the beginning but it will pay off in the long run.

Not for everybody...

Current Employee - Associate  in  Tacoma, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate in Tacoma, WA (US)

I have been working at Aflac as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

The company is hands-down the most ethical insurance company I have ever run across and have always been proud to represent them.

Cons

The sales structure leaves MUCH to be desired. Virtually no admin support unless you hire one yourself. Creates inconsistency in businesses experience. Commission only... that can be a pro and a con...LOL

Provide admin support at the regional or district level that is available to the sales force

Worked for Aflac? Contribute to the Community!