Aflac Reviews

Updated 17 October 2014
3.1

Aflac Chairman and CEO Dan Amos
Dan Amos

Pros
  • set your own hours, unlimited income potential (in 21 reviews)

• Management is very engaged with making sure that employees maintain a good work-life balance (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits, no base salary, the bosses will lie about everything (in 28 reviews)

• lack of initial support - but it's like any 100% commission job: "you reap what you sow" (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

HUGE turnover...they hire anyone with a pulse.

Former Employee - Independent Agent in Mesa, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Independent Agent in Mesa, AZ (US)

I worked at Aflac as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Not many...I guess make your own hours. Many people that started here YEARS ago are successful. Times have changed.

Cons

No base pay...100% commission...HUGE turnover...they pretty much hire anyone with a pulse oversaturating the market. Very few reps here last more than a couple months. Many business you contact have already been contacted by 2 or 3 reps recently. You either sink or swim here. It sucks because so many people quit and give up. They should offer a small base to start you off otherwise be prepared to wait tables at night while you finally start closing deals. I was encouraged by my boss to totally disregard "No soliciting signs" at businesses which so many have now you pretty much have to cold call and make an apt then see someone.

Slow down on the turnover. Stop oversaturating the market (Phoenix, AZ) with reps. Aflac has become a joke amongst job seekers.

Excellent Products

Former Employee - Benefits Consultant
    Former Employee - Benefits Consultant

I worked at Aflac as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Potential to make six figures if you can last 5 years or more or know an owner of a large company in you warm market.

Cons

Can't speak for other offices but the management is constantly being pressured to meet goals which in turn makes them very stressed in office where I was. Stress passed on to rookies and makes for high turn over in agents.

Expect to gain some experience, but don't expect to get paid for it.

Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in La Grange, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in La Grange, IL (US)

I worked at Aflac as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere and plenty of room to get work done.

Cons

No formal HR Department or structure.

Do not hire interns to do your dirty work.

Sales Rep and a lot of cold calling

Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Aflac as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Aflac lets you make your own hours, you can work from home, work part-time, whatever. There is generally a good sense of camaraderie in the office and happy hours

Cons

The people are very unprofessional, likely because they hire pretty much anyone that interviews for them. There is very little investment in the individuals even though there are a lot of "trainings" for you to participate in. Don't get involved if you can't work for a year to build your book for almost no pay.

Get some better people and get more organized. Maybe you'll invest more in people if the people are good.

Enjoyable but ultimately unrewarding two-year career experience

I worked at Aflac full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good training, supportive management team.

Cons

As with most insurance/benefits companies, payment is based purely on commission.

They offered great resources and training.

Former Employee - AFLAC Field Sales Agent in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - AFLAC Field Sales Agent in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at Aflac full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The office was run very professionally. They provided training, on-going assistance, feedback, personal mentoring and resources.

Cons

It's all cold-calling. If you are out-going and willing to build a network, this may work for you. As a second career for an older person who is not a good salesperson, it may not be for you.

Don't take on almost anyone who walks through the door.

Good company. Good products. I cannot recommend working for them, if you need to pay any bills during your first year.

Current Employee - Associate in Birmingham, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Associate in Birmingham, AL (US)

I have been working at Aflac full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I believe this is a decent company. It has very good insurance products, and I use these products for me and my family. They pay their claims.

Cons

I burned through all of my savings trying to keep afloat here. The training was minimal/next to none. My district coordinator pushed his associates to get out and sell appointments before anyone had a knowledge of any of the products. My district coordinator is very fickle, and has a "what have you done for me lately" attitude.
    I am usually a very positive person, but I regret to say that I there are far more cons to working here than there are pros. I definitely would not make a recommendation to any of my friends or acquaintances to work here.

Put value and emphasis on training for new associates.

Former employee

I worked at Aflac

Pros

Good commission structure - if you can sell

Cons

Considerable lack of training and support - I made $0.00 the whole year I worked for them. If you are experienced and don't need an immediate income, they are okay to work for, but if you are looking to support a family, go elsewhere.

Keep your promises to support and continue training associates.

Too Much Information, Not Enough Training

Former Employee - AFLAC Field Sales Agent in Ottawa, IL (US)
    Former Employee - AFLAC Field Sales Agent in Ottawa, IL (US)

I worked at Aflac full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible work hours. I didn't really get a great sense of the company itself. It is typically the representatives of the company that gives a sense for the business.

Cons

Role Playing & Field Training should have been used for training. My Management was over an hour away from me & did not want to make the drive. The information piled onto new recruits was overwhelming & difficult to sift through. Management sent people to my zip code (which was supposed to be protected) 65 miles away from them to work my leads list that I made up while I was training. By the time training was done, my leads told me that someone from my Managers area just stopped by a couple of days prior. They were working my warm leads while I was paying for a hotel & spending my time & money to be trained (while not being paid for training).

I worked for Combined Insurance prior to this & AFLAC would benefit from role playing & investing paid training into their recruits. They may keep more agents that way. The plans for AFLAC were OK, but some were really high premiums unless you signed the whole Company, not just individuals. In those cases, your Manager would take over & you would not get the sale anyways.

Account Manager

I worked at Aflac full-time

Pros

Assisting people who trust your better judgement.

Cons

Using your own car for traveling to account holders