Aflac

Aflac Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Aflac Chairman and CEO Dan Amos

Dan Amos

Pros
  • You can set your own hours, work from virtually anywhere, and there is unlimited income potential (in 20 reviews)

• Management is very engaged with making sure that employees maintain a good work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary or ramp up funds to help beginners, training is not so great (in 24 reviews)

• lack of initial support - but it's like any 100% commission job: "you reap what you sow" (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Know what you're getting into if you're doing sales

Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsGREAT PAY, if you can persevere and are good at sales

Cons100% commission, extremely reliant on building momentum

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your sales office managers to be open and honest during the interview process

Positive and enriching experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Columbus, GA (US)

ProsTop-level, globally recognized and respected brand. Top management is willing to listen to ideas and in many cases try new approaches.

ConsCorporate headquarters is in a lovely small town in southern Georgia, but this may not be a good fit for some people. The corporate culture is extremely conservative, and while being risk-averse is a good attribute for a financial services company it can sometimes result in progress coming at too slow a pace for outside factors.

Advice to Senior ManagementMight do a better job attracting and retaining talent if there was an option to be based out of other offices in larger markets.

Accounting Specialist

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAflac is a company where they have mastered appreciating their employees and from all levels of management. If a company wants to know ways to encourage a positive atmosphere within their corporation, they will most definitely need to talk to the people of Aflac. Outstanding job!

ConsIt is nearly impossible to think of a con. This company just offers a lot of benefits for their employees. It is definitely the heartbeat of Columbus, GA.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rather linear experience as an Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Got to see what really goes on behind closed doors and how workers make their sale pitches over the phone
    - People are fun and down to earth.
    - Watched management give in-company presentations to educate and share experiences/know-how
    - Company isn't focused on stellar intelligence or amazing backgrounds. They simply want people that can sell. Straight and simple.

Cons- Prepared presentation packets for sales representatives but never attended meetings with clients.
    - Daily tasks were similar: arranging brochures, making copies, organizing excel files
    - Wasn't able to learn much and wasn't paid.

Advice to Senior Management- Would be nice to shadow a sales representative during business meetings.
    - The no-pay aspect is rather unattractive as well.
    - Lunch was also up to us (which is understandable through the job description) but it would've been nice to be treated at least once as a company.

Terrible place to work

Intern (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsI honestly cannot write any pros about this employer because it is a terrible place to work. They claim that you will make so much money working for them but that is a lie. The turnover of employees there is very high. In fact, when I came for the first day of my internship, no one has been there for more than a month, and most people were new just like me.

ConsThey do not pay you a single penny until you sell one of their policies (which nobody in their right mind should want to purchase because those policies are complete trash). They give you a script and a list of phone numbers and tell you to make 300 calls per hour (out of these 300 calls, you will be hung up of 100 times, and the other 200 numbers would be disconnected).

Advice to Senior ManagementJust shut the place down, it is worthless.

You don't own your own business...........liars

Associate (Current Employee) Richmond, VA (US)

ProsGood products and good paying claims. Name recognition.

ConsRecruiters promise big money and owning your business to get people to sign on. Lowest commissions in industry. Coordinator positions go to the yes people and biggest rats.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of all the commission based coordinators. More and more make a living off screwing the associates. You have people with no insurance background getting contracts as coordinators. Listen to your vets before you lose them all. Recognize letters of record from veteran associates, they have the relationships with the accounts not the coordinators. Higer professional management to run states and regions with a salary so they will do things right and with ethics. Treat people in the field the way you treat people in Columbus.

All the Show no action

Independent Agent (Former Employee) Central Valley, NY (US)

ProsYou are your own boss to a degree.

ConsBasically, if you are not in a financial position to have no money coming in while you sit on the phone and go door to door everyday, then this is not the job for you. Even though they boost in the interview and when your hired how your District Manager is there to help you close deals, they are not. I provided leads to two managers that I did not want to directly contact, both managers never followed up with me never told me if they contacted the lead and if anything happened with it. The give you a rope and let you hang on it by yourself, then after two years if production is down they threaten to cut you. Which they did and then three months later send a bill for 50.00, which when you have no money coming in, don't know how they want that paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou spend at least 1 million in advertising which has to result in people calling in interested in getting policies, how about passing those on to new agents starting out giving then a source of income off the bat, instead of slapping new agents on the back and sending them on their way,

Very difficult to make money.

Intern (Current Employee) Silver Spring, MD (US)

ProsNice people. Trained us pretty well.

ConsThey mislead you in a sense. Very tough to make money starting out. Expect to build little bit to your credit card balance. . DO NOT start cold. You will get no where.
    Your job is not safe because all employees want to do is hire more employees. More people come in then come out so the market is over saturated with sale people. The local companies begin to actually hate you. Make this job your last option if anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive entry level positions and hourly wage.

To many Chiefs

An Independent Agent Representing Aflac (Current Employee) River Ridge, LA (US)

ProsGood claims payment
    Good Customer Service

ConsI have had over 20 Regional Managers in 18 years.
    Managers threaten to take your groups if you don't do what they say. Veterans are expected to do business like a new Agent. Too many reports are required and overwhelming. Lots of turnover of new agents who come in and write bad business and give Aflac a bad brand reputation.

Advice to Senior ManagementIndependent Agents are being treated as if they were employees instead of self employed. Too many demands from District and Regional Managers with no compensation.

Lots of Spin - Not alot of Follow Through

Marketing (Current Employee) Columbus, GA (US)

ProsMarketing is never boring. The company encourages community service and continuing education in most departments.

ConsThey make promises about career advancement that they don't keep. Lots of reorganization and management changes. Promotion of unqualified, inexperienced people with lots of initials after their names, but no substance. Lots of distrust.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's no point in passing along advice. No one listens.

Worked for Aflac? Contribute to the Community!