Airy Labs Reviews

Andrew Hsu
1 Rating

worst work experience ever

I have been working at Airy Labs

Pros

smart and driven teammates who cared about each other
    free food for the first few months

Cons

It's a sweatshop run by a family who believed in slave driving employees.

The company is dying - yet the family blamed all the employees "hired the wrong people".

Employees should have spoken up much earlier instead of enduring all the hardship and abuse for so long.

The whole family screwed up the company and they owe an apology to all 30+ former employees. Stop blaming employees because the whole world has learned the truth by now.

Everything that is wrong with Silicon Valley

I worked at Airy Labs

Pros

-The team. I am honored to call my former team members my friends. Talented, witty, humble, and genuinely passionate people.
    -I learned a lot during my time there. There was always a new challenge to tackle.
    -The purported mission.
    -I think that all of the departed employees will land on their feet, and that their Airy Labs experience will have helped them get there and appreciate all of their future successes even more.

Cons

There aren't a lot more examples to give that haven't already been said. This company and its downfall represents some of the biggest problems in the tech industry today. There is too much of a focus on buzzworthy topics (e.g., "games," "education," "neuroscience") and young founders without any proof of concept or ability to lead. It's unfortunate that this drama has dragged out so long. If any investors are reading this, please listen to what we have told you.

The company is beyond repair. For your own sake, and the sake of the remaining employee(s), it's time to move on. Find what you are truly passionate about, and don't just make a money or fame grab. Stay humble.

Good goal, inexperienced management

I have been working at Airy Labs

Pros

Very helpful, cheerful and awesome coworkers
    Educational games, way better than random mafia games
    Good location
    Good office space and resources
    free bagels and coffee
    High standards of design

Cons

low pay
    poor management
    art is approved by people with no/minimal background in art
    90% Asians?
    new hires interviewed by fresh graduates/inexperienced employees

Hire a manager who has experience managing startups

Inexperienced leadership

I worked at Airy Labs

Pros

Was able to work with an extremely talented team who were all from the top of their fields.
    Was able to gain exposure to the industry and learn more about the start up world.

Cons

Management was very inexperienced and did not articulate the goals and vision of the company very well to the employees.

Extreme micromanagement and discouraged communication between teams was a detriment to productivity.

Parents involvement in management and organizational structure inhibited any work from getting done.

Figure out the company's vision, revenue structure, and competitive advantage before re-entering the industry. Allow employees to do what they do best and motivate them through inspiration rather then fear.

Poor management and expectations

I worked at Airy Labs

Pros

The idea is amazing and hearthwarming. The execution - poor.. Not surprised the company is going south~ I wish they (the management) were more open to suggestions and didn't run the company like a sweatshop - its proven it doesn't work. They might get funds to keep going, but their best fund is the talant that believes in the idea and works hard... Treat your workers with respect and make them happy - things will go much better!

Cons

The execution - poor - Can't expect people to renounce their life and familly...

It was an experience.

Former Employee - Former Employee
    Former Employee - Former Employee

I worked at Airy Labs

Pros

The magement team reminded me of my parents. They were tough, but they cared about my health and showed random bouts of affection (buying snacks, ice cream). They asked for a lot, so I was constantly focused and I think I became more diligent as a person while I was there. I definitely noticed a change in my habits - I did things as soon as I thought to do them, rather than putting them off until later.

I loved my coworkers. They're great, funny people, and are fun to hang out with.

Cons

That being said, the management were unlike parents in that they definitely didn't love us. They asked for work hours that are probably normal in the country they're from, but are not okay here. I don't think they adjusted for culture difference. That's how I'm choosing to look at it, anyway. The time and efforts they asked their employers to put in did not align with the pay they handed out (somewhat understandable as they are a young start-up) or with the appreciation they showed.

I wish they would understand that everyone who joined did so because Airy Labs holds a wonderful vision. We employees were/are there to help them work toward this vision because we believe in it too. The employees are definitely not in it for the money. Many of us sacrificed family time we can never get back to build their vision, which we made our own. The ones who couldn't take the work load left right away. It'd be nice if the ones who stayed were shown more appreciation and human kindness.

Please, please don't be too proud to let go some of your old school values. We want you to succeed. But we're human and we have other needs, too. Your entire life may be with the company, because your family is in it, but ours aren't. We are already dedicating an insane amount of our lives to something that, in the end, benefits you more than it does us. Please, please listen to other opinions.

Great Potential Not Being Managed Properly

I worked at Airy Labs

Pros

The original company goals are admirable
    The employees are smart and fun, extremely talented
    Great location
    Great ideas and creativity amongst employees, but need to be better cultivated
    Individual tasks relevant to job description are fun and challenging.

Cons

No PTO whatsoever--> quick burnout
    Management treatment and administration policies vary widely from employee to employee
    Lack of communication and clear vision on part of CEO/management
    No sense of balance between work and personal life, extremely intrusive.
    Needs more focused art/design direction.
    Tasks are heavily micro managed
    CEO's roles are spread way too thin; seems to be from lack of trust in senior staff

You need to believe that your employees will work hard and passionately regardless of your over management. Refocus company goals and solidify team direction and product design.

Very different than how it looks from the outside

I worked at Airy Labs

Pros

Chance to take on different roles
    Get to see company being built from the bottom
    Challenging tasks
    Get to work with smart idaelistic coworkers

Cons

No PTO and forever on "crunch time" (12+hrs everyday)
    No work life balance or respect for employees personal lives
    The founder's parents watch everyone like hawks to make sure everyone is working all the time
    Very sad to see smart coworkers get burnt out and disillusioned

There are very smart people in airy who can do much better if they arent micromanaged
    You might get better results from happy employees instead of trying to make everyone work and work all the time

Poor Management

I worked at Airy Labs

Pros

Work with talented team with plenty of experience under their belt.
    You believe in the goals of Airy Labs in the beginning.
    Management tries to provide basic accommodations but that does not make up for poor management.
    Good office location.
    Personal chef (you pay a % of the meals) and yoga instructor.

Cons

Management is split between the CEO and his father. That is not necessarily a con however it makes communication difficult if both needs to be present. Logically speaking it is better to deal with one competent leader.
    No light at the end of the tunnel. When can schedules be scaled back to just 10 hours?
    Personal and team meetings held after normal working hours regularly.
    You feel as though you are constantly "on call". No work and personal life separation.
    You can easily become unhealthy due to lack of sleep and exercise and therefore lose motivation to continue. Burn out.
    System of nearly nightly evaluations.

Decisive leadership in business and sympathy for the human condition.
    I wish Airy Labs the best.

Intense but rewarding

I have been working at Airy Labs

Pros

Early stage startup, tons of stuff to do
    Team is really smart and I think we're doing something very worthwhile
    What we're working on is very exciting and there's tons of potential for changing how kids learn, plus an enormous market for it.

Cons

It's hard work and a lot is expected out of you - you're expected to produce every day and there's pressure from the management to deliver; it's being run like a classic startup, and we're in the office for a long time every day - not much work life balance at this stage.

Keep on focusing our games on the educational mission because that's what so many of us joined for; don't lose it!

Airy Labs Photos