Alaska Airlines

www.alaskaair.com

Alaska Airlines Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014
Alaska Airlines – US – “A Flight Departing from Honolulu”

Alaska Airlines – US – “A Flight Departing from Honolulu”

Alaska Airlines President & CEO Bradley D. Tilden

Bradley D. Tilden

Pros
  • The flight benefits was the best part of the job (in 13 reviews)

• I love the Travel Benefits of this job, the other flight attendants that I fly with, and all the exciting towns we go (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Very odd shift work and starting pay is low (in 6 reviews)

• Poor pay and horrible schedules all based on seniority (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun job overall

CSA (Current Employee) Anchorage, AK (US)

ProsGreat coworkers. Nice travel benefits. Works well around my family but I have been there a long time. Much better than a desk job, always busy. (sometimes too busy)

ConsBusy and often understaffed. Having to work with the public can be a challenge at times. Very odd shift work and starting pay is low. Always new things to learn which can be both good and bad. Flights are full, harder to fly standby.

customer service agent

Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsGreat people to work with

ConsGreat company to work for. No regrets

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great people and culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsAlaska has a cadre of loyal, long term employees which speaks well of the company. The culture is generally open and collaborative which makes it easy to come to work every day. They use the PTO model instead of dividing the world into vacation and sick time. Bravo.

ConsLess than market compensation.is the biggest drawback, but less so in IT. Travel benefits make up for that though.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. Running a *profitable* airline these days is something to brag about!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company

In Flight Supervisor (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsI've been with Alaska Airlines for 10 years and in the airline industry since 1977. Alaska has a terrific culture, small company feel and a diverse workforce. Very happy to be part of this great team!

ConsAdvancement is limited due to small number of available leadership openings given the size of the company.

Great company

Flight Attendant (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsLove the travel benefits. Sitting on the beach is great!

ConsPay isn't the best. Going to lame places or having to fly on your day off can be the worst.

Love the people I fly with

Flight Attendant (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsI love the Travel Benefits of this job, the other flight attendants that I fly with, and all the exciting towns we go. Everyone is happy! Sitting on the beach with 24 hours to spend isn't so bad.

ConsI feel like I am away from my family too much. Getting woke up at 3 am by crew scheduling saying you to need fly at 5 am isn't all it is cracked up to be. Not only does it wake up me but my family as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish they would be more family oriented. When you do call in sick crew scheduling isn't compassionate or understanding. It makes you second guess the company.

Hero to zero

ProsGood flight benefits. Some nice people in many customer faced departments. The company is really customer friendly, but what really counts (safety) is lacking.

ConsMiddle /Upper Management are stupid and have no credibility with their employees or the FAA. Have many fines and investigations for non-conformance. Safety and reporting problems is smoothed over with a huge turnover in the department with replacement by unskilled engineers. The VP of maintenance is expecting a major accident and is critical of engineering for good reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would clean house in engineering managers ( and many lame engineers) and believe the maintenance management/mechanics are very good. Keep up the smily face in the rest of the company.

All depends on the department you work in.

Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsAlaska has some very good people with great values and an enjoyable spirit.

ConsSome bad folks in mid level positions make work difficult at times with people leading by trying to instill fear in their employees. Some of the magic that Alaska once had has been lost in recent times in some departments. Others remain true to the corporate culture and values.

Advice to Senior Managementwork on getting the right people in the right roles. if you say you are people focused, that goes beyond the frontline CBA covered work group, those people are people too and should not be overlooked.

This company values length of employment more than actual work done.

Software QA Engineer II (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsMost employees are very nice.

ConsIt's very hard to move around in the company because there's so much favoritism. It's emphasized internal candidates will be treated differently, but their application process filters out internal candidates. So it's very hard to move forward without knowing the right people.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to start recognizing current employees. The lack of attention has been causing many current employees to start looking for advancement elsewhere.

Great Company

Flight Attendant (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsYou o not have to work long hour days, you get nice layovers, compensation package is great, and its a great place to be a flight attendant

ConsNo really a con I see

Worked for Alaska Airlines? Contribute to the Community!