Alfred Angelo Bridal

Updated 26 January 2015
Updated 26 January 2015
2.2

Vincent Piccione

Pros
  • Co-workers are great, fun place to work (in 4 reviews)

• Family owned loyalty but corporate consistency and professionalism (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • District Manager plays one associate and or manager against the other which creates a lot of drama (in 7 reviews)

• The company and upper management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Eveything about this place is bad except getting to know your co-workers.

Current Employee - Bridal Consultant in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Bridal Consultant in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Alfred Angelo Bridal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My co-workers were great. Most of them anyway. Alfred Angelo doesn't really screen who they hire.

Cons

Terrible pay. Terrible management. Outdated, slow computer system. You don't get commision until the merchandise you ordered for the customer arrives, which could range between 1-4 months. If you quit you don't get your incoming commision. Employees are definitely undervalued. And again, management is a joke and horrible. All the way up to the top. They went on the show "Undercover Boss" and promised to make all these changes, like immediate commision and updated computer system. That was over a year ago and we just got confirmation that neither of those changes will be made. It was all for publicity of course. Not for helping the employees at all. Don't waste your time with this job. If you really want to try working in bridal try the other bridal chains or boutiques. I know most of them pay much better.

Take better care of your employees. They are the ones bringing in the money. They sell the dresses and provide the customer service. They do the hard work yet are paid the least and greatly undervalued. The rate at which employees come and go is unbelievable and so fast. This reflects quite badly on you. Yet I believe you prefer it that way because you don't have to worry about pay raises or anything like that. Give the employees their commission at the time of purchase rather than 4 months later. Also give your employees that quit for whatever reasons their incoming commission. There is no excuse for them not to get the comission they worked for. Make sure your people are taken care of.

Supportive environment, plenty of support from management

I worked at Alfred Angelo Bridal part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working environment, Commission, lots of sales support and incentives.

Cons

Not meeting sales goals is pretty rough. Lots of calling brides who don't want to be called.

Trust your Bridal Stylists on what brides want as far as follow ups. We spend the time with them and get to know their personality and we can tell who doesn't want to be harassed into a purchase.

Worst experience, unprofessional and out of date.

Former Employee - Bridal Consultant
    Former Employee - Bridal Consultant

I worked at Alfred Angelo Bridal full-time

Pros

I cannot recall any positives while being employed with this company. Employees were unfairly treated, no benefits were offered even for full-time, etc.

Cons

This company claims it has a great culture and is family owned, but on the contrary, there is little to no culture. In my couple of years with the company, I witnessed numerous people (from high-level managers to entry-level consultants) get fired without a second thought. Many of whom worked for several years with the company. Also, it is not at all family owned, the original owners (Piccione) recently sold the company and now possess little power in executive decision making. Also, the turn-over rate is the highest I have ever witnessed within the retail industry, due mainly for the low wages. All of these factors have had a crippling effect on the company, and it is now on the decline.

Furthermore, the worst part of being a consultant is that the company withholds all commission until customers physically pick-up merchandise, even if they agree to pay in full. I have made huge sales where it has taken longer than 6 months to receive any commission from! Also, once you leave the company, you no longer entitled to any of the sales you have made over the past few months! The company creates a loophole in which they can take advantage of their employees and never lose.

I was also disturbed to witness how poorly this bridal company treated its customers, and how cheaply all their products were made. I saw first hand several gowns come in, after taking 3-4 months to supposedly be made from scratch, with appliques missing, bead work falling off, rips in the fabrics, and even stains. It was an embarrassment to have to fabricate some excuse to my good clients as to why their dresses they just spent sometimes upwards of $2000 on is not brand new, in mint condition and ready for their wedding day. Also, this company would frequently take orders for wedding dates that it could not fulfill since sales were so bad. This would create a lot of confusion since there was extremely poor communication between all departments. Several times a woman, who rush ordered her dress (an extra $100-$200), would not get her gown until the day before wedding and it would not be properly altered to fit her.

Over the years I noticed how the prices are increasing and the quality is decreasing. Also, the designers are older and out of touch with current bridal trends. It becomes an extremely challenging, if not impossible task to attempt to sell a non-designer dress, that is poorly constructed to someone when there is so much competition within the bridal industry.

I experienced working with a variety of managers due to the high turnover. And overall, they are were very unappreciative of their staff and created a very hostile environment for the consultants. There was a lot of professionalism, favoritism and stealing of sales was encouraged, which is even addressed within the company commission outline. If you worked hours with a client and have followed up with her repeatedly, but if she happens to buy on a day you are not working, the sale will go to the person present, who did nothing to aid in ensuring the sale. Thus, this policy created a lot of competition and drama among employees, and an overall poor professional experience. I never felt more unsupported in an effort to provide excellent service for my clients than at this company, with managers who only cared about numbers.

Alfred Angelo bridal

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Alfred Angelo Bridal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun working with brides, love the gowns, employees are great

Cons

Upper management pushing to meet sales deadlines, not good pay, everything an extra for brides and bridesmaids, they should eliminate all the middle men spending money on flying upper managers all over instead of giving pay increase to associates too many bosses to answer to if you do not meet numbers by end of month you get chewed out not good policy also brides are buying gowns online and not shopping in stores

Try to make each store manager and personnel a part of team stop complaining about numbers

Not worth the stress

I have been working at Alfred Angelo Bridal part-time

Pros

The people are great. Helping women get ready for the best days of their lives is very fulfilling.

Cons

There is no room for advancement, the pay is awful and you don't get your commission until at least four months later. Employees are required to sell so much to customers but we get nothing back from the company. Managers get bonuses if we make monthly goals but the stylists are paid barely enough to survive.

Start compensating your employees according to how hard we are expected to work!

Out Of Date

I worked at Alfred Angelo Bridal part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Can't say that I have any

Cons

Long weekend hours
    Managers almost never gave me breaks--even when I told them I thought I was close to passing out
    Terrible Commission structure

Get better computers

Magical

Current Employee - Stylist in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Stylist in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Alfred Angelo Bridal full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very exciting helping brides find their dream gown .. opportunity to move up / career

Cons

work every Saturday and most Sundays ..

get updated computer systems .. put money back into stores appearance

Pretty good company to work for

Current Employee - Store Manager in Birmingham, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Birmingham, AL (US)

I have been working at Alfred Angelo Bridal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Treats employees well. Family owned business

Cons

Hard to get a raise. Not a very good bonus.

worst job at the worst company with liars for managers

Former Employee - Sales Girl
    Former Employee - Sales Girl

I worked at Alfred Angelo Bridal part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The ONLY pro is helping the bride and her family and bridal party during a very special time in their lives

Cons

Horrible store & district management. Terrible pay for what is expected. The pay is at the level for someone working at Forever 21 who comes and goes punching a time clock. The responsibility and accountability is of the level of a Sales Account Executive at any respectable company with regard to sales goals and accessory sale mandates. Stylists are required to sell preservation kits to brides and are criticized and penalized if they dont. The store is so dirty & we have to clean the walls (they won't repaint) and the carpet is filthy. I hate seeing barefoot brides and babies crawling on this carpet.... Can't trust management. Sales goals unrealistic and unattainable. Commission not paid unless the bride pays for and picks up her gown. If she cancels the dress order, you don't get paid on the money the bride paid to order her dress. The company keeps all her money and you are out of a commission. The store manager does not support or defend her sale people and she tells the district manager lies to make herself look good, because, after all, nothing is her fault. The district manager says whatever she has to in order to settle down an employee, and she never follows up with any action on what she says she will do. I don't know why she even bothers to come visit our store. She spends all of her time on the phone or in the back room. She is too above getting to know her employees. She and the manager just sit back there and eat or gossip. Sales people are extremely competitive and will do whatever they can to steal a sale or take someone's turn for a customer and the manager doesn't care as long as the sale is counted towards her weekly goal. No reasonable/logical assignment of sales people to new customers. We are supposed to call a bride three times and follow up by email if the bride doesn't answer her phone. We are required to pester these brides to get them back in the store. They left the store without buying something for a reason people!! Salespeople have a minimum of 5 to 10 return appointments per week or you can get written up. (We barely get 10 new customers during the week..hahaha) We are supposed to get the name, telephone number, address and email of every customer who walks in the door, even if they just want to look around or pick up a catalogue. I guess it is to artificially create customers. This just makes people suspicious--why do they have to give out their personal information just to look around The district manager says it is so we can track them. People who want to look around do not want to be tracked...do you? The manager has a chicken little the sky is falling way of managing her employees and customers. The bride is supposed to be the focus, but the manager makes it all about herself. That Undercover Boss stuff was just fake. If the company has all that extra money, why don't they pay us instead of inflating their ego on tv? That president drove a pretty nice car and he gave away alot of money..except for the black guy that supposedly got to spend some time drawing dresses. I supposed they picked out the lesbian and the gay guy to show their support for gay marriage--that sells more dresses to more people. I work for Davids now...I heard bad things about them when I worked at Alfreds, but at least they are good to us and the pay is so much better

clean house and pay attention to the people that sell your stuff...you might have a big paycheck or drive a fancy car but you don't have a clue about what its really like with real customers and you think your sales people are disposable hourly come and go workers we have to build trust with a bride. Something management obviously will never build with their sales people