Alfred Angelo Bridal Reviews

Updated 26 March 2015
72 reviews filtered by
2.2
Vincent Piccione

Pros
  • Co-workers are great, fun place to work (in 4 reviews)

• Family owned loyalty but corporate consistency and professionalism (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • District Manager plays one associate and or manager against the other which creates a lot of drama (in 7 reviews)

• The company and upper management (in 5 reviews)

Good Company...Most of the Time

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Grand Rapids, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Grand Rapids, MI (US)

I have been working at Alfred Angelo Bridal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun work environment when you have a good team. So rewarding to help a bride feel beautiful and confident, and to be a part of her wedding process. Commission based, so it's nice when you have a great connection with a bride, you'll often work with her bridesmaids, mother/mother in law, flower girls, etc. Loved seeing the constant flow of new designs! Stores carry multiple sizes of every dress, so you don't have to shove a size 10 into a size 4 sample and make her feel self conscious.

Cons

Can be a very catty environment - lots of girls in a competitive sales scenario. Corporate is heavy handed with rules. Lots of shipping issues that were impossible to resolve.

Advice to Management

Offer more support to ASM/SM dealing with difficulties like shipping delays or difficult customers. Repeatedly telling someone "sorry there's nothing I can do" does not make for happy customers. Quit the rule that we have to cut up dresses that are discontinued or flawed - be socially responsible! Have the dresses shipped back to corporate to be repurposed (fabric, beading, sashes), or partner with a charity who accepts wedding dress donations.

Stressful, not worth the pros.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Alfred Angelo Bridal

Pros

If you are getting married or a bunch of friends are getting married in the future, you get a 15% or 20% discount on your dress (not really that great in my opinion, but helps on the small salary you will make). You get retail and sales experience and a LOT of personal and phone critical confrontation practice (see cons) with upset customers, which is actually handy and beneficial in sales. You also learn a great deal about selling techniques and how to decipher who is going to really buy and why/why not. It did make me a tougher sales person in the long run. One of the best parts, you get to make women feel beautiful. Plus, you learn a ton about weddings (it may scare you away from even having one though)!

Cons

So many cons. Hours are terrible, especially for a manager. They stretch the manager's super thin and over work them, because they are salaried. And paid TERRIBLY, making it not worth losing every weekend to work. Bridal consultants get crappy pay (takes months for them to see commission come through), so there's an extremely high turn-over. You are always hiring and when busy season gets here you take who you can get. There's no room for advancement really because district managers stay in their position for ever and I don't believe their are many regional manager positions. When I was there they had us on brutal and borderline abusive phone conferences once a week at least as managers trying to shame us into selling more (news flash, sometimes it's the product and not us). It's extremely stressful job and environment. Thanks to the show Bridezilla's everyone thinks they have to have perfection and can act like a spoiled, rude princess. I got yelled at usually daily by customer's, hence the critical confrontation skills. Me and my old manager still talk about how we have nightmares about this job.

Advice to Management

Pay better, especially for the city you are living in. Treat your management better and listen to them. I know they got rid of the wicked upper management lady that was there when I was, but there was always a disconnection from upper management (above district manager). It's a family owned company, but it acts really stuffy and cold. My hope was to move up in the company, even to work for corporate, but no one knew how to guide me to get there or offered to help make it a career.

Dont consider employment here.

Current Employee - Management in Boardman, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Management in Boardman, OR (US)

I have been working at Alfred Angelo Bridal

Pros

Great meeting people and picking out their wedding gowns

Cons

Poor upper management. No raises ever. Was with company for over 6 years. Bonus structure was terrible. No positive feedback.

Advice to Management

District manager very demanding. Couldn't take vacation had to work every weekend. I have 4 kids and missed out on so much but she was off every weekend. Dont work for this company

Uncomfortable

Former Employee - Former Manager in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Former Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Alfred Angelo Bridal full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The bonus you could make was great.

Cons

The staff fighting over brides. The staff having melt down along with the brides. The company not sending dresses on time. The upper management would not let call customers back for issues that stores are nt allow to make. Bridal season from January to April was awful.
    Alway on call.

Advice to Management

Give store management the approval to run the business and make decisions.

Eveything about this place is bad except getting to know your co-workers.

Current Employee - Bridal Consultant in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Bridal Consultant in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Alfred Angelo Bridal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My co-workers were great. Most of them anyway. Alfred Angelo doesn't really screen who they hire.

Cons

Terrible pay. Terrible management. Outdated, slow computer system. You don't get commision until the merchandise you ordered for the customer arrives, which could range between 1-4 months. If you quit you don't get your incoming commision. Employees are definitely undervalued. And again, management is a joke and horrible. All the way up to the top. They went on the show "Undercover Boss" and promised to make all these changes, like immediate commision and updated computer system. That was over a year ago and we just got confirmation that neither of those changes will be made. It was all for publicity of course. Not for helping the employees at all. Don't waste your time with this job. If you really want to try working in bridal try the other bridal chains or boutiques. I know most of them pay much better.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees. They are the ones bringing in the money. They sell the dresses and provide the customer service. They do the hard work yet are paid the least and greatly undervalued. The rate at which employees come and go is unbelievable and so fast. This reflects quite badly on you. Yet I believe you prefer it that way because you don't have to worry about pay raises or anything like that. Give the employees their commission at the time of purchase rather than 4 months later. Also give your employees that quit for whatever reasons their incoming commission. There is no excuse for them not to get the comission they worked for. Make sure your people are taken care of.

Supportive environment, plenty of support from management

Former Employee - Bridal Stylist

I worked at Alfred Angelo Bridal part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working environment, Commission, lots of sales support and incentives.

Cons

Not meeting sales goals is pretty rough. Lots of calling brides who don't want to be called.

Advice to Management

Trust your Bridal Stylists on what brides want as far as follow ups. We spend the time with them and get to know their personality and we can tell who doesn't want to be harassed into a purchase.

Worst experience, unprofessional and out of date.

Former Employee - Bridal Consultant
    Former Employee - Bridal Consultant

I worked at Alfred Angelo Bridal full-time

Pros

I cannot recall any positives while being employed with this company. Employees were unfairly treated, no benefits were offered even for full-time, etc.

Cons

This company claims it has a great culture and is family owned, but on the contrary, there is little to no culture. In my couple of years with the company, I witnessed numerous people (from high-level managers to entry-level consultants) get fired without a second thought. Many of whom worked for several years with the company. Also, it is not at all family owned, the original owners (Piccione) recently sold the company and now possess little power in executive decision making. Also, the turn-over rate is the highest I have ever witnessed within the retail industry, due mainly for the low wages. All of these factors have had a crippling effect on the company, and it is now on the decline.

Furthermore, the worst part of being a consultant is that the company withholds all commission until customers physically pick-up merchandise, even if they agree to pay in full. I have made huge sales where it has taken longer than 6 months to receive any commission from! Also, once you leave the company, you no longer entitled to any of the sales you have made over the past few months! The company creates a loophole in which they can take advantage of their employees and never lose.

I was also disturbed to witness how poorly this bridal company treated its customers, and how cheaply all their products were made. I saw first hand several gowns come in, after taking 3-4 months to supposedly be made from scratch, with appliques missing, bead work falling off, rips in the fabrics, and even stains. It was an embarrassment to have to fabricate some excuse to my good clients as to why their dresses they just spent sometimes upwards of $2000 on is not brand new, in mint condition and ready for their wedding day. Also, this company would frequently take orders for wedding dates that it could not fulfill since sales were so bad. This would create a lot of confusion since there was extremely poor communication between all departments. Several times a woman, who rush ordered her dress (an extra $100-$200), would not get her gown until the day before wedding and it would not be properly altered to fit her.

Over the years I noticed how the prices are increasing and the quality is decreasing. Also, the designers are older and out of touch with current bridal trends. It becomes an extremely challenging, if not impossible task to attempt to sell a non-designer dress, that is poorly constructed to someone when there is so much competition within the bridal industry.

I experienced working with a variety of managers due to the high turnover. And overall, they are were very unappreciative of their staff and created a very hostile environment for the consultants. There was a lot of professionalism, favoritism and stealing of sales was encouraged, which is even addressed within the company commission outline. If you worked hours with a client and have followed up with her repeatedly, but if she happens to buy on a day you are not working, the sale will go to the person present, who did nothing to aid in ensuring the sale. Thus, this policy created a lot of competition and drama among employees, and an overall poor professional experience. I never felt more unsupported in an effort to provide excellent service for my clients than at this company, with managers who only cared about numbers.

Alfred Angelo bridal

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Alfred Angelo Bridal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun working with brides, love the gowns, employees are great

Cons

Upper management pushing to meet sales deadlines, not good pay, everything an extra for brides and bridesmaids, they should eliminate all the middle men spending money on flying upper managers all over instead of giving pay increase to associates too many bosses to answer to if you do not meet numbers by end of month you get chewed out not good policy also brides are buying gowns online and not shopping in stores

Advice to Management

Try to make each store manager and personnel a part of team stop complaining about numbers

Not worth the stress

I have been working at Alfred Angelo Bridal part-time

Pros

The people are great. Helping women get ready for the best days of their lives is very fulfilling.

Cons

There is no room for advancement, the pay is awful and you don't get your commission until at least four months later. Employees are required to sell so much to customers but we get nothing back from the company. Managers get bonuses if we make monthly goals but the stylists are paid barely enough to survive.

Advice to Management

Start compensating your employees according to how hard we are expected to work!

Out Of Date

Former Employee - Bridal Stylist

I worked at Alfred Angelo Bridal part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Can't say that I have any

Cons

Long weekend hours
    Managers almost never gave me breaks--even when I told them I thought I was close to passing out
    Terrible Commission structure

Advice to Management

Get better computers