Almost Family

Updated 16 November 2014
2.2

Almost Family Chairman and CEO William B. Yarmuth
William B. Yarmuth

Regular Home making agency.

Former Employee - Home Health Aid in New Haven, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Home Health Aid in New Haven, CT (US)

I worked at Almost Family part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Office staff seems to care enough about clients being taken care of.

Cons

Employees almost never get up to full time hours, no such thing as reviews, raises, etc. Travel time is only counted as payable if you travel for half an hour or less, so if you travel for 35-45 minutes in-between clients, you won't get paid for it. Overall, this is not a position for someone trying to maintain a household - you just can't live off of 20 hours a week at $8 an hour.

RN

I have been working at Almost Family

Pros

large company. nice coworkers. don't really have much else in terms of pros. i guess having a job is a pro. free parking in my area.

Cons

high turnover. unreliable referral sources. bottom of the barrel patients. no computers for clinicians. mediocre pay. poor benefits. no leadership.

not enough hours available...just prn

I have been working at Almost Family part-time (more than an year)

Pros

you are able to pick and choose which patients and families you work for. every one is very friendly amd most are helpful

Cons

always have to pay close attention that you are being paid the correct wage they always have issues with payroll. after losing a full time 40 hr week case due to pt getting better, not very concerned with more hrs

Senior Advocates not committed to anyone or anything

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middleburg Heights, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middleburg Heights, OH (US)

I have been working at Almost Family (more than an year)

Pros

Ability to maintain a flexible schedule

Cons

NO training: NO supplies: NO recognition: NO positive feedback: NO proper equipment provided; NO appropriate
    client information given to field staff: NO salary increases; NO support for staff by management: Office moral is
    negative. Office management is UNAWARE of company policies. Certainly NO CELEBRATIONS of any kind
    All employees are expected to make this job their sole priority in life, while only working PRN.

Follow your own policies and procedures
    Compensate your employees at a fair wage.

Horrible

I have been working at Almost Family

Pros

There are absolutely no pros for employees or clients of this company

Cons

Horrible management, extremely low pay with no raises, this company will pay top management million dollar bonuses but most employees go 4 to 5 yes without even a cost of living increase, these people are greedy and could care less about their employees or clients

You can't give advice to greedy people with no conscious

Enjoyable...have worked here for over 5 years. I guess happiness varies by location.

Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Lake Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Lake Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Almost Family as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, pleasant staff, good pay. I have been a therapist for over 20 years. We take good care of our patients and I can't tell you how many courtesy visits I have done and gotten paid for while the company did not....because a patient needed something.

Cons

Medicare is the challenge for me, not almost family. The requirements become more strict so the paperwork is more. I am prn so I do hear the benefits are expensive...but my husband's insurance almost doubled again this year as well and that doesn't have to do with his employer...that's new healthcare. It is a large company and decisions are made by those higher up...not always easy.

Worst job experience ever!

Current Employee - Overworked in Clifton, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Overworked in Clifton, NJ (US)

I have been working at Almost Family full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are really no pros to working for this company unless you are looking to work like a slave six days a week.

Cons

The company has no values, the employees are not valued and the patients are definitely not valued. There is no consistency in the workplace and everyone is their own boss. As for personal growth, there is NONE.

The company needs real people who care about the actual patients. All management is worried about is how many patients are coming on service and how much money they can get from the case. NO such thing as Patient Care.

very disorganized structure

I have been working at Almost Family full-time (more than an year)

Pros

some really good clinicians to work with, peers help each other

Cons

salary adjustments don't happen, requesting time off nearly impossible even though at hiring there is talk of how important work/life balance is important. The norm is working 50+ hours per week, all on paper, no corporate oversight in evidence.

Pay your salaried people their base pay, please do not ask your staff to take personal time to make up a weeks pay when low census is not the fault of the employees.

DPS

I worked at Almost Family full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of work, straightforward policy and procedure, family atmosphere in most local offices but not at corporate level. Tells you what they think you want to hear.

Cons

AFam buys smaller HHAs to dismantle and discredit. After that is done they came in and clean management out. Incredible lack of caring to the person. Then they try to prevent you from seeing your friends that work there and tell them not to talk to you. Amazing loyalty (not) to the employee. Money is their greatest concern not for the employee...ever.

Practice what you preach...do unto others as you would have them do into you.

Account Executive

I worked at Almost Family

Pros

This is as close as it gets to employers knocking on your door. If a job ad is being distributed by e-mail, the employer is reaching out. These could be sent to, and come to you through, Career Services, your academic department, advisors, clubs, you name it.

Cons

None, really. It's just a form of information and communication coming to you. Even if a particular job/career fields is not of interest, use it to learn about what is out there.