Altera

Updated Mar 15, 2014

Altera Chairman, President, and CEO John P. Daane

John P. Daane

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Rewarding hardwork, company direction unknown

Intern (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Altera as an intern for more than a year

Pros-Really intelligent people
-Fun work environment
-Good low level management

Cons-Senior management has no idea what the company direction is.
-Keep changing goals.
-Laid off people without reason

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out what you want to do ... make up your minds.

Great tech and opportunities with some annoyances

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Altera full-time for more than 8 years

ProsAll of the problems we work on are cutting-edge, so there's always something new - so new that lots of people get to publish their work in journals.

There's always more work to do than there is time, which might seem bad but it means that if you automate your current job away, you have nothing to fear since there will always be another valuable project for you to work on.

There's a lot of room for creativity, and with some persistence you can get new projects going. People also move around frequently, with entire teams sometimes changing their mandate from one area to another. At least from a technical perspective, it's easy to get unstuck if you get bored. You can even switch from high-level software to next-generation hardware design - there aren't many places with that kind of flexibility.

ConsSoftware engineering hasn't always been valued as much as "getting things out the door," because we're ultimately about selling hardware, and the software has to be ready to do that come hell or high water. As a result, some of the code quality has suffered over the years. Similarly, our testing and building infrastructure is sub-par. Both of these appear to be improving but there's a way to go.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncouraging people to be more efficient is nice, but technical leadership and investment are needed as well.

Ok for new graduates - Stay away if you value growth in your career

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Altera full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe compensation in Toronto is good and new graduates get to do interesting work

ConsIf you value your career and are looking for a dynamic and creative place to grow, then you should definitely avoid this place.
Advice to new graduates: Don't stay here longer than a year or two.

Review

I worked at Altera

ProsWell managed. horizontal environment and somehow visibility on the things going on the executives.

ConsVery conservative.Still you can not have work/life balance

Superficial. No real experience even if you look for it

I worked at Altera

ProsI think you can end up making a few good friends at Altera. Also they seem to pay well.

Cons1) They have no real work anymore. If you come here expecting to learn something, rest assured you will plateau in only 4 months and will be stuck with making presentation slides, debugging 30 years of horrible code, and spending 50% of your day in unnecessary and useless meetings.
2) Very unhelpful staff: Since they know they have no work, any employee who has done something significant in the past will guard that accomplishment with his life, and will never divulge the inner workings to anyone. They are all afraid of being laid off and are all stuck to their comfort zone. I have heard "I don't know the answer" more times than I cared to count, only to find that same person giving the answer out in a formal meeting. They show no willingness to show a new employee the ropes or to answer their questions.
3) Horrible management: Irrespective of department, management always wants to cut corners and give the minimum possible functionality that a customer would like. They do not entertain their employees' willingness to think out of the box and add value to the software. They simply go "I don't think the customer will need any more than that, just code it up and lets move on". They have a broken testing infrastructure, which is why their software is extremely buggy and customers always come back with tons of complaints. Most of these complaints go unresolved.

The only people that will defend this company are people who were there during the days of its inception, when there actually was some real work to do. New employees: avoid Altera like the Plague !

Good and bad. Bad parts can drive you nuts

I worked at Altera full-time

ProsPeople are smart here. You can't bet on that. And continual improvement is not just corporate speak, it's the reality of everyday work at Atlera. If you go into the right job you will learn a lot.

ConsGuidance by management can be spotty depending on your manager. Pressure to perform during your ramp up can be intense. Upper management seems completely detached from what the rank and file are doing. Also extremely cost conscious, to the point that people might use the world cheap.

Quality is not a goal. At times amateurish products are shipped as a result.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can only squeeze so much blood from a rock. If you don't invest resources in your people and in equipment, you are never going to produce quality products.

Altera Toronto Rocks

I have been working at Altera full-time for more than 10 years

ProsEverything about the office is pretty good. Pretty good salary, location, work, people. Nice office too. I've really enjoyed my time here.

ConsEvery once in a while headquarters seems to do something random.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix product planning! Also, increase the travel budget a bit - we're fairly isolated in Toronto and the message here is "don't travel unless you're dying".

Excellent learning experience

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Altera as an intern for less than a year

ProsExcellent salary
TTC pass
Good location in downtown
Free breakfast once every month

ConsWork can get boring if you don't like to deal with hardware.

Great execution, poor innovation

Member of Technical Staff Design Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Altera full-time

ProsYou learn a great deal of excellence in execution, good pay and benefit

ConsNot for someone whose passion is innovation

Altera is Awesome

Design Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Altera

ProsVery friendly people. very helpful and awesome community.

ConsThe job is very demanding and the workplace is very fast paced. If you're a smart person it's for you.

Worked for Altera? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Altera reviews and ratings in Canada — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Altera CEO John P. Daane. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Altera employees.