Altera

Altera Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Altera Chairman, President, and CEO John P. Daane

John P. Daane

Pros
  • Average work load and work life balance as a design engineer (in 28 reviews)

• You have the opportunity to work on interesting, cutting edge technology (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Still you can not have work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Not much options for career advancement (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Great workplace, smart engineers

Senior Design Engineer (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Prosdowntown office, professional work environment

Conswork can be overwhelming at times

Facilities Operations Intern

Facilities Operations (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

Prosgreat people and working environment

Consnone, nothing, was a great experience to intern heee

Altera Penang is a great place to work. Workload can be high in some area.

Information Technology (Current Employee) Bayan Lepas (Malaysia)

ProsGreat teamwork, little or no office politics. Good opportunity for career development. Compensation is good is you are a star performer - you get good RSU & Bonus on top of basic salary.

ConsWorkload can be high in some areas. Compensation is average for most people. Employee with average performance of below do not receive RSU or bonus. Turnover for employee with 5 years or less experience is high perhaps due to compensation.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Watch your back!

ProsInteresting technology and ambitious business goals.

ConsExtremely political work environment. The middle level managers are driven with just one goal: do what ever it takes to save oneself from being laid-off. The top-level management runs the company by instilling fear in the employees. Employees are constantly and overtly under the threat of having their jobs outsourced to the Altera's branch in Malaysia. Its a very unhealthy work environment unless you are someone who thrives in adversarial state.

Good journey so far..

Senior Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsUnique mid-size company with mature processes and financially best managed company.
    Conservative culture

ConsToo much short term (minded) focus and approach. Growing pain (still operate as small company (~1B) as opposed to 2B/3000 employees.

Its an OK place

Design Engineer (Current Employee) Hampton, NJ (US)

Prospay & leave are good

Consbeauracratic and too slow to implement some great ideas

Great work/life balance

Advanced Design Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsThe growth factor is huge for FPGA industry. The work environment is great. The career path is good. You get a great chance at working with something that is new. Pressure is there only when you are close to a deadline. So work/life balance is great. You get a great scope for self development in the field of Digital design.

ConsSometimes due to office politics work slows down. For me personally this has very very rarely happened.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some great employee "know each other" events so that people can get to know persons from some other teams.

Worst Company to work for

Senior Member of Tech Staff (Former Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsCompensation is good for some people.

ConsDo Management understand the business of making chip?

If you were in Jail you would not have to watch your back this much- Horrible Director and above leadership

Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsStrong balance sheet and niche market. Strong barriers to entry. Samrt people and most are very talented

ConsThere are unrealistic expectations, Pay is lower than market and overlap with Malaysia causes long days and no work-life balance. Many senior managers do not understand business drivers and stack rank employees to fit a bell curve. Strategic investment is not made to move company forward. I don't think you can cut your way to prosperity. The titles wehre people are hired into are much lower than other companies. For instance a manager here would have the same respnsibilities as a Director somewhere else.
    Attempting to hire for Diversity which means Females and other underrepresented groups- Seems illegal to me as you are not supposed to focus on Age, Gender, Color, Etc..
    Many occurances where senior managers and above are not knowledgeable and seek opportuities to stab you in the back.

Also the yoga classes and wellness fairs are nice when you are not working through lunch every day sort of a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees and make small increases in headcount to scale with growth. Ditch the stack ranking. You have an advantagous psition but if you are shortsighted the opportunity may slip or you will have product issues like at 28nm. I understand as a public company there are guidelines but when you have more cash on hand than google and almost as much as Apple why do you put so much burden on the employees

A good, financially sound, mature tech company, in a difficult world

ProsVery challenging work, great benefits (Health, vision, dental, others), compensation is fair (I guess, but that's why I'm looking on Glass Door to see how it compares), opportunities for moving around within the company do exist. Work/life balance is pretty good. Campus in San Jose has pretty good perks.

ConsOffice politics (same anywhere), decisions made by committee, slow to react to market shifts, data driven decision making, etc. More recently, political correctness has gotten in the heads of management to the point of being a distraction.

Worked for Altera? Contribute to the Community!