Altera

Altera Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Altera Chairman, President, and CEO John P. Daane

John P. Daane

Pros
  • Average work load and work life balance as a design engineer(in 28 reviews)

• You have the opportunity to work on interesting, cutting edge technology(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Still you can not have work/life balance(in 8 reviews)

• Not much options for career advancement(in 13 reviews)

Great workplace, smart engineers

Senior Design Engineer (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Prosdowntown office, professional work environment

Conswork can be overwhelming at times

Facilities Operations Intern

Facilities Operations (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

Prosgreat people and working environment

Consnone, nothing, was a great experience to intern heee

Altera Penang is a great place to work. Workload can be high in some area.

Information Technology (Current Employee) Bayan Lepas (Malaysia)

ProsGreat teamwork, little or no office politics. Good opportunity for career development. Compensation is good is you are a star performer - you get good RSU & Bonus on top of basic salary.

ConsWorkload can be high in some areas. Compensation is average for most people. Employee with average performance of below do not receive RSU or bonus. Turnover for employee with 5 years or less experience is high perhaps due to compensation.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great work/life balance

Advanced Design Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsThe growth factor is huge for FPGA industry. The work environment is great. The career path is good. You get a great chance at working with something that is new. Pressure is there only when you are close to a deadline. So work/life balance is great. You get a great scope for self development in the field of Digital design.

ConsSometimes due to office politics work slows down. For me personally this has very very rarely happened.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some great employee "know each other" events so that people can get to know persons from some other teams.

Watch your back!

ProsInteresting technology and ambitious business goals.

ConsExtremely political work environment. The middle level managers are driven with just one goal: do what ever it takes to save oneself from being laid-off. The top-level management runs the company by instilling fear in the employees. Employees are constantly and overtly under the threat of having their jobs outsourced to the Altera's branch in Malaysia. Its a very unhealthy work environment unless you are someone who thrives in adversarial state.

Its an OK place

Design Engineer (Current Employee) Hampton, NJ (US)

Prospay & leave are good

Consbeauracratic and too slow to implement some great ideas

A good, financially sound, mature tech company, in a difficult world

ProsVery challenging work, great benefits (Health, vision, dental, others), compensation is fair (I guess, but that's why I'm looking on Glass Door to see how it compares), opportunities for moving around within the company do exist. Work/life balance is pretty good. Campus in San Jose has pretty good perks.

ConsOffice politics (same anywhere), decisions made by committee, slow to react to market shifts, data driven decision making, etc. More recently, political correctness has gotten in the heads of management to the point of being a distraction.

Interesting research-oriented problems to work on; Great group of engineers to work with.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsExtremely talented group to work with. Great opportunity to challenge yourself with several research-oriented projects.

ConsProduct/segment roadmaps are unclear. Unsure of growth potential of company.

Too much politics, too little life

Test Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsGet my paycheck, OK health benefits, good gym and cafetreria on site

ConsNo career opportunities on technical side, too much politics
    Neither senior nor first line management is responsible for their actions; the blame is _always_ on the people down the corporate ladder
    Big disconnect between your contribution and your reward, after several years of getting a penny for stepping up I'm ready to move on

Very bad Culture, Lot of department politics, bad experience, rat race everywhere, NOT worth IT

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

Pros- fpga is a niche area due to which altera has somehow survived.

Cons- Its who you know and not what you know
    - If you know people higher, you get promoted to Management even without the right skills
    - Wrong people in leading positions of the company who don't have any experience
    - Lot of politics between departments, RAT race is always on, No collaboration
    - No good products, lot of product issues.
    - The 28nm was a total disaster, 14nm has high hopes but no delivery

Advice to Senior Management- Hire people with the right experience
    - When you promote people make sure they are right for the job
    - Managers need to have the right experience, Many Altera department have managers with no skills

Worked for Altera? Contribute to the Community!