Alvarez & Marsal

Add Photos

Alvarez & Marsal Co-Founders & Co-CEOs Tony Alvarez II & Bryan P. Marsal

Tony Alvarez II & Bryan P. Marsal

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Flexible, high-paying, and entrepreneurial firm that continues to grow.

Senior Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Alvarez & Marsal full-time for more than a year

ProsVery flexible, informal and entrepreneurial work environment. Compensation is better than any comparable firm. The firm has really been growing in the last few years, and out-dated back office tools are being upgraded significantly.

ConsWorkload can be very slow at times. There are occasional internal squabbling over which group is going to be allocated a project.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. The firm could use additional directors and senior directors to provide a better allocation of work.

Inconsistent

I have been working at Alvarez & Marsal full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are some smart people, and some interesting engagements. Lots of opportunity to work with former industry operators, some of whom are very good. Good work/life balance. Nice people for the most part.

ConsMany senior resources are of very poor quality, lacking basic consulting skills. This can make projects very frustrating for those with a consulting background. I would advise undergrads and recent MBAs to go elsewhere, as you can't be guaranteed to learn a consulting skillset at A&M.

There is a very heavy sales culture, which leads to overselling and often to underdelivery. There's a lot of talk about putting clients first, but management cares exclusively about the top line. .

The senior-most leadership at A&M is extremely conservative. It is an old-boys club, and this seems to make meaningful career advancement difficult to impossible.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on client value, not sales. Cash-oriented compensation model based on restructuring legacy is illogical. Improve overall quality at SD/MD level, it can't just be about their rolodex. Revise career path model.

Great firm, but not easy to build a career

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Alvarez & Marsal full-time

ProsGreat brand in restructuring/turnaround/performance improvement

ConsPoor resource management; many silos

Depends who you work for

Senior Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Alvarez & Marsal as a contractor for less than a year

ProsFree soft drinks and snacks.

Cons- Contract-to-perm is really just contract: I was told during interviews my position was new, only to find out I was replacing the previous contract person. At first I was given almost nothing to do for two months despite repeated requests to help or for projects. I wanted to tear my hair out, the days were so slow. Two months in, HR tried to recruit me via my personal email FOR THE SAME POSITION I WAS CURRENTLY IN. Whoops. Two days later I was told my contract would not be renewed, with no explanation for why. Then (without my having to ask) I was given plenty to do, and told I was doing a great job, until the end of my contract.
- Although I faithfully and honestly recorded my hours the entire time I worked there, when I received my final check, it was inexplicably six hours shy of the actual time I worked the last half-week. If anybody felt I was being in any way dishonest with my timesheet, I wish we could have had a conversation about it before they changed my timesheet, because I worked every one of those hours.
- They pay monthly, not bi-weekly, which is a real drag.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour "no #%@!" policy is a good one, now make it happen. I had the impression my colleagues were as miserable as I was there.

Arthur Andersen recreated?

Partner (Former Employee)

I worked at Alvarez & Marsal full-time for more than 5 years

Proswell known player in restructuring and PE

Consinsider and family dominated more than you would expect

Advice to Senior Managementbring in more outsiders

Work in consulting, not in corporate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Alvarez & Marsal full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you're a consultant, you're probably working with bright, talented people who have come from all over to work with other bright, talented people.

ConsThe loyal and lazy are treated with impunity. The loyal and hard-working aren't rewarded as they should be. Getting buy-in for corporate projects can be a nightmare.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the visionaries be visionary. Don't settle for mediocrity.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great Experience and $$, Bad Attitude and Work/Life Balance

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Alvarez & Marsal full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat Compensation
Smart co-workers and bosses
Projects can be interesting
Can learn a lot, be exposed to a lot
Project teams vary, so you get to work with different people and styles
Travel, if you like it

ConsHours can be unreasonable for long periods of time (depending on project & team)
Work can be tedious and boring (depending on project & team)
Travel, it gets old being away from home more days than not
Management has an attitude, important to be part of the good old boys club
As time goes on, there is more and more deceit - with the client, with the clients advisors and amongst ourselves, etc - it's tough to keep the story straight when working with people, and it makes for an uncomfortable environment
Cut-throat atmosphere amongst peers, a culture where putting others down can help you get promoted
The culture and values they say they believe in (family first, not pumping hours...) are not actually there in practice

Self Managed and Disciplined

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Alvarez & Marsal full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStaff are expected to be fully self-managed and able to conduct the firm's business in front of client's at all levels. Being "technical" is not frowned upon, but embraced at all levels in the firm.

ConsThe compensation model doesn't accomdate for years where billable collections do not exceed the salary threshold to qualify for bonus.

Good work environment, highly competitive

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Alvarez & Marsal full-time for more than a year

ProsGood staff, highly trained and competent. Business was up and down when I was there, but could be very busy at times. Potential to advance and make good money if you do a great job.

ConsHighly competitive environment for staff and employees. Could see potential for people trying to be too competitive over getting jobs and credit.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand the thoughts of employees and work to maintain a positive environment. Offer more and better opportunities to grow through more training/classes.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Smart people, engaging work, up-and-coming firm.

Senior Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Alvarez & Marsal

ProsWith growth of the firm being more recent, it is a pretty entrepreneurial place to work. People are very bright and seem to work well together. A&M is flexible to personal situations and people feel like the firm has their back. Firm really seems to be diversifying their services, which can lead to new experiences.

ConsNot much back office support (can be a good thing!). Other typical consulting firm pressures/annoyances, but that is what you sign up for in this industry. Really, I am proud to work at A&M.

Worked for Alvarez & Marsal? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Alvarez & Marsal reviews and ratings in New York City, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Alvarez & Marsal CEO Tony Alvarez II & Bryan P. Marsal . All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Alvarez & Marsal employees.