Amazon.com

3.3 3,276 reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos

Jeff Bezos

(2,283 ratings)

Pros
  • Good opportunity to learn a lot in a particular area of software development(in 101 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here(in 306 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel(in 540 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company(in 125 reviews)

3,276 Employee Reviews

Great place for work, Aggressive environment

ProsIf you love technology.
    If you want to learn and learn, want to take individual responsibility and ownership.

ConsWork life balance is bad. Very aggressive working culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat engineers like humans not robots.

Great experience

Associate (Current Employee) Chennai

ProsPlenty of opportunities to obtain leadership experience Great people around. I have found my personal growth to be immensely satisfying. Senior management is very helpful in terms of mentoring.

ConsWork pressure is high. Compensation and benefits are not that great considering the amount of time spent in working. OT is rarely paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease don't be diplomatic.

the overall experience was very good and looking forward to build my career in Amazon.

Applications Engineer (Current Employee) Chennai

Prosthe best thing about amazon is flexibility to work and obviously the perks.

Consyou should be keep on learning and develop your self to compete inside company.

Advice to Senior Managementthe important things are maintain a good and highly professional environment inside company.there should be enough opportunity inside company for growth for high performance employee.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome place to work with amazing people

Software Development Engineer In Test (Current Employee) Bangalore

ProsSuper talented people, great amount of opportunities to learn

ConsNone as of now.................................

Great Experience working at amazon

Quality Assurance Engineer II (Current Employee) Bangalore

Pros1. Complete ownership of the product
    2. Good Leadership principles, which if you follow can achieve many things
    3. Good pay
    4. Can learn so much about Software Development, architecture and processes
    5. Great freedom at work. No Rules and regulations

Cons1. Expected to work all through. No time for relaxation
    2. No other cultural programs at work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat going.

Good Place to start your career.

Prosculture, projects, pay, benefits, talented people

Conswork life balance, long hours

Amazon is the future

Software Development Engineer II (Current Employee) Bangalore

ProsProduct breadth, opportunity to develop and learn is huge. You can work in whatever you are interested in. There is a great website. Then there are high performance/scale services which are core part of business. Then there is AWS, hardware, kindle and the list goes on.
    It's generally easy to switch teams and moving to other roles is encouraged.
    Mostly smart people around.
    Compensation is competitive and great potential of stock is a silver-lining on the top of that.
    Just loving the company and work.

ConsSometimes work could be hectic but that's ok. Some managers are political & bad but many are good. Again few teams do not do great work but just operations or maintenance so be choosy.
    Don't expect great facilities as it's very frugal company but essential benefits are comparable to other good companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementJeff Bezos is a true visionary & genius. One thing that differentiates him is he is constantly watchful. He is making the company innovate. Customers are loving it and most products are generally more successful then other companies.

Full of learnings - Good pay but you need to take your growth in your hand

Site Merchandiser (Current Employee) Bangalore

ProsLearnings
    Innovation
    Excitement
    The company will give you great opportunities to own up new things especially if you are on a senior role.

ConsStructure
    Slow Growth
    The lower the leveling bar you are, it will be difficult for you to grow and make everyone happy. It is a highly opinionated company and of course at the end, opinion of the seniors matter.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork-life balance

Strong company values and work ethics under challenge by Inept 'Indian' Senior Management

Quality Assurance Engineer II (Current Employee) Bangalore

ProsFlexible in terms of the kind of work you want to do, team change , work timings etc
    Leadership principles are great. If you really follow them , you tend to really improve overall
    Ownership, accountability and responsibility is huge but it actually gives you a 'proud' or a 'wow' moment.
    You are trusted and given all necessary freedom to demonstrate your skills.

ConsSenior Management. Almost all are very political and do not have any vision.
    You have to learn the art of buttering and being hypocrite to succeed or even 'survive'
    Work life balance is pathetic
    Personal commitments are not respected
    If you choose to be in this company, chances are high that you will become extremely money minded , will learn politics and several other bad practices
    Though the bar is high while recruiting, company does not respect people/employees. They are just treated like robots
    Slow career progression . Senior management are all busy in their own career progression. They even over-hire and construct an army of people to push themselves up to the next level. More commonly seen in India of course!
    Management and even some peers are ill-mannered and harsh in their communication. They probably need to learn professionalism, specially the ones who are long term Amazonians.

Worst of all- Couple of India centric teams in Bangalore run the company as if it's their family business. Not that they care for the product so much but they tend to hire misfit 'Family members' into the team and place them at senior positions , which is often demotivating and unethical.

Advice to Senior ManagementProbably, Amazon needs to micro manage a little more - specially the senior management in India. They are ruining the culture and the brand name. It is only the strong policies that are still holding it.

it was good .

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore

Proscomplete ownership, work culture is good

Consmore operational work. Much depends on your team

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!