Amazon.com

3,944 Reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,671 Ratings

Pros
  • You can definitely learn a lot in short spam in Amazon as they make you work a lot (in 118 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 352 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 636 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 145 reviews)

More Highlights

Beware of this trap called 'Amazon' !! Don't screw up your professional, personal and healthy lifestyle !!

Former Employee - Senior Process Associate in Chennai
    Former Employee - Senior Process Associate in Chennai

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

For all those who are aspiring to join Amazon and those who are newly joined, these are my advices. Please don't get overawed by the facilities they offer like AC cabs, beverages, food coupens, laptops, water bottles, goodies etc. These are certain things which your previous organizations might not have offered you. But there will come a stage where you will realize that these were offered to you so that you think great about the company and work really really hard and sincere forgetting your personal life completely. And if you don't have an understanding life partner he or she might even divorce you, for you will be glued to your laptop always.

Cons

I worked for Amazon for a period 2 years on continuous rotational shifts. I was so happy to receive a laptop when I joined. Later I understood I am expected to login to it even after I return home from office. In those 2 years, I slogged for atleast 14 hours, 6 days a week and accomplished so much, which a normal person would have accomplished only in 4 or 5 years. You will become like a robot and will still be boasting on facebook and whatsapp about the cool things that Amazon offer you. But you will face the biggest shock of your life when out of no where you will be asked to sign a document called PIP (Performance Improvement Plan) and made to put down your papers. This happened not only to me but also 6 more people in my team. Your career life will be screwed up completely and so will be your personal life and health.

Does Jeff Bezos have the guts to sign a PIP document himself ? If so many employees are put into PIP for non performance, is that not an indication that the organization is also non performing ? In that case, the CEO should also take up the PIP challenge. Let him take up the PIP challenge and prove himself first. My key takeaways from Amazon are only high diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Please note that I did not have even traces of these health issues before I joined Amazon. Great job Amazon for screwing up the lives of Innocent and hard working Indians.

it was hard interview

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer IIo in Hyderābād
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer IIo in Hyderābād

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good package and i suggest it to every fresher to try for it and get selected and if selected they provide high salary and very good incentives

Cons

hectic work and you should work in rotational shifts mostly on night shifts

ZERO work-life balance; OVER work load; BAD management ; NOT systematic

Current Employee - Leads Analyst in Hyderābād
    Current Employee - Leads Analyst in Hyderābād

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work really hard & contribute max to the company - Your contributions will not be taken into account for business impact but, you might be promoted very quickly. Leadership doesn't care about the business impact, all they care about is their targets & junk data analysis.

Cons

First of all, the employees are literally overloaded with work all the time & unrealistic targets. Most of the employees for most processes work more than 9 hours (which is illegal) and don't get paid for over time every single day. work-life culture sucks too because employees hardly find time to interact or have fun in the company despite the lavish gaming consoles & despite the sense of humor each one has in the because of stupid management.

Work for the company & not for your personal growth. Do not overload the employees and set realistic targets and try to get them done in a nice manner without being rude. Make sure to bring the team together & not divide the team by impartiality & negligence & greediness of your personal benefits and growth.

Business Mantra: Get pressure-cooked work for less salary

Current Employee - Visual Design Associate in Chennai
    Current Employee - Visual Design Associate in Chennai

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1) Learning: Working under pressure will let you lean a lot of stuff.
    2) Corporate experience: You will have a corporate experience and how it works. But you will swear after not to work in any corporate again.

Cons

1) False hope/goal: manager will set false hope or goal (which, once achieved will give you minimal hike, or another goal)
    2) Management: It sucks (most of them are from BPO background without any sound knowledge of the process they lead). Which was not the case till end of 2012 (and it was regarded as a fun place to work for).
    3) Volume vs. Quality: They prefer volume over quality. All they want is productivity.
    4) Salary: Very low than it's competitors.
    5) Colleague Competition: 2013 HR made a clear goal of competition among the colleagues. So it's not more a team work. But how to step on other and then grow. I do not think this idea comes from jeff Bezos.
    6) HR: The HR supports all manager decisions and don't give heed for any associate say. They are not employee advocate but compliance driven.

How can a manager lead a subject when they do not have any knowledge about the subject!

And your Chennai office is full of these fads.

Good place for interns!

Current Employee - Associate in Hyderābād
    Current Employee - Associate in Hyderābād

I have been working at Amazon.com as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Fun working place.
    Mobility in the organization is high

Cons

Work can get tedious sometimes

A good place to work

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

No major restrictions in working environment

Cons

Long term growth of the employee is nil

Amazing

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company work is always fun here

Cons

none as of now totall satisfied

Work hard. Have Fun. Make History.

Current Employee - Investigations Specialist II in Bangalore
    Current Employee - Investigations Specialist II in Bangalore

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Great work environment.
    - Good pay.
    - Overtime pay.

Cons

- No work-life balance. Excessive overtime recruited.
    - Lack of respect for tenured employees.
    - Politics and unnecessary involvement of HR-BPs.

You know whats wrong, start fixing things.

great experience

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

good environment to work with

Cons

takes a lot of effort to grow

Great place for work, Aggressive environment

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you love technology.
    If you want to learn and learn, want to take individual responsibility and ownership.

Cons

Work life balance is bad. Very aggressive working culture.

Treat engineers like humans not robots.