Amegy Corporation

Scott J. McLean

Co workers were nice.

Teller (Former Employee)
Spring, TX (US)

I worked at Amegy Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsStable job, you can count on your schedule to stay the same. Off all Holidays.

ConsBoring, you have to wear panty hose, it feels like you are in a library.

Great company to work for.

Bank Teller (Former Employee)

I worked at Amegy Corporation part-time for more than a year

ProsThe Managers are great with their employers and make it a fun environment to work in. I enjoyed my time working here.

ConsSelling can sometimes be difficult especially in motor bank, and they tend to push you on selling.

Personal Banker

Personal Banker II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amegy Corporation full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat co-workers; fun place to work

ConsLimited opportunity for advancement; unclear career paths.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore diversity in upper echelons of management.

Ok starter bank

Teller III (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amegy Corporation part-time for more than 5 years

ProsHigher starting rates for new hires.

ConsBlatant favoritism when promoting employes, blatant discrimination in not promoting employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove into the current millennium .

Great Company

Teller II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amegy Corporation full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat work life balance, exposure to upper level management

ConsSo so benifits, out dated systems

Would recommend

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amegy Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Good bank with positive reputation in the commmunity
-Good work/life balance
-Better than average bank products
-Trustworthy senior management
-Competitive salary (for new hires)
-Genuine interest to promote from within and develop employees
-Good training programs

Cons-Worst benefits around
-Outdated technology. MS-Dos was the most efficient banker tool and the systems frequently break
-Small, capped incentive programs

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the benefits affordable or worthwhile to have. In my opinion, people in an entry level spot (tellers or backoffice) cannot possibly afford these services.

Try to take care of the employees you are trying to develop. When employees get promoted (let alone multiple times), a standard 5% increase generally puts them well below market salary and can lead to multiple subordinates making more money than their boss. This compensation plan makes it difficult to retain top talent because they can make significantly more money by going to a competitor for a similar position.

Mangers that want you to excell

Teller III (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Amegy Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMangers that support their staff and work with them to help them better themselves and get further in their carrerrs. The salary is also very competitive and Tellers typically get paid more at Amegy than they would at other banks (even the big banks)

ConsSome of the Managers can be petty and try to screw over other branches in order to help their branch out.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be more of a united front and less silly bickering among the Branch Managers and Assistant Managers. While we have branches that all have different goals we all work for the same company and should work together not against each other.

Do your research before applying

I have been working at Amegy Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThere are some great people employed there that are willing to share knowledge and experiences and not be threatened that a individual will steal their job. Unfortunately, those individual are sparse throughout the organization.

ConsUnfortunately, very much run by and still practices the "good ol' boy system" Extremely poor pay with poor benefits to match

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire the good ol' boys and modernize the company into the 21st century. Tenure does automatically suggest quality. Sometimes a tenured individual can simply be taking up valuable space, contributing nothing great, hindering another valuable asset in the form of an employee.

Good place to start a career in banking

Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at Amegy Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLife / work balance is great, people are easy to work with, lots of opportunities for growing your professional network and starting a banking career.

ConsOwned by Zions Bancorporation which slows down Amegy. No real synergies from Zions' footprint, pretty much a stand alone separate entity.

Don't work for lockbox.

Lockbox Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Amegy Corporation part-time for more than a year

ProsCo-workers: The one redeeming quality about this job is there are some really nice people there unfortunately it's a double edged sword because for everyone good person there are a slew of mean, conspiring, gossiping, petty, middle aged woman.

ConsGrowth/Promotion Potential:
Lockbox is a terrible place for growth if you're not a sycophant and even then you're only moved up enough to be a direct underlying of management, which still takes 8+ years. Their are employees who have worked there for 10+ years with minimum promotion even when they're deserving because they aren't exactly a favorite because they may be more boisterous or vocal in a respectful manner about problems and concerns (which is encouraged by management, obviously to weed out those with potential and integrity.
Communication:
Communication is so poor with management nobody listens when it comes to a solution that you proposed to improve production until it's too late to solve. Problems are tossed to the side when it involves the managers selected few and HR doesn't help with issues with management because they're in cahoots and management is very "cliquey."
Turnover:
This job has a high turnover rate if an employee isn't quitting they're being terminated and that goes for management as well. They'll say the company is doing well and we won this award and the next but it's all a farce because a week later they'll say they need to reduce manpower and give packages to "low performing employees" or hours have to be cut. Then we suffer because there's high volume and not enough workers which in turn keeps you at work in some departments until late at night. Their solution to that is hiring numerous people who they barely train, training is terrible and they just have you shadow a few people for a few days and throw you out into the lion's den, and the team still suffers in this stagnant environment.
Management:
By far the biggest issue management changes with the season, one day you're in the next day you're out, management is a clique who use one another for safety when issues with their employees are finally called out which is seldom. If one doesn't like you none do, the environment is very high school. If you have a discussion with neighbors and they don't like either of you they'll rearrange seats and have sophomoric meetings about talking and how it needs to stop but they know we are adults so they don't want us not to talk but keep it to a minimum, while they cackle with each other and other employees. Management wants to be friends with certain employees and don't know how to differentiate between personal and professional relationships and they have made many victims of confidentiality breaching. They discuss other employees and their personal business on the floor and have separate meetings between full time and part time employees. Overall, they need the most improvement.
       Amegy really needs to look at the lockbox department and make major changes it's the worst department to work for and you see many faces come and go. There have been enough red flags alerted to upper level management that things need to change and hopefully they do.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop setting up unnecessary meetings pretending to be interested in the employees job culture and issues with management and do nothing but make empty promises of change.

Worked for Amegy Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amegy Corporation reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Amegy Corporation CEO Scott J. McLean. All 32 reviews are posted anonymously by Amegy Corporation employees.