Ameren

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ameren President & CEO Warner L. Baxter

Warner L. Baxter

Was great at the beginning, but as I got older and made more money it really went down hill fast.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsThey offer great benefits, a 401k and a pension.

ConsThey don't value people of experience, they prefer younger employees who they can pressure into a constant "value added" tenure. Always have to prove your worth, you are only as good as last month, and if they don't have future plans for you then you are made out to be stupid and worthless....old. The few that made it into upper positions are set, but those who haven't are devalued and shoved out the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach, you spent so much money on Project Unfreeze and don't live by it's principles. You need to realize everyone's strengths and utilize them, don't try and shove them into the same mold as everyone else.

engineering

Engineer (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

Prosgood company great benefits. i would recommend it for sure.

Consi just started i don't know much.

Great Company, better people

Associate Analyst (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsAmeren is a great place to work, not only for the very competitive salary and benefits, but because it is full of enjoyable personalities to work with. In my first year at Ameren I haven't found a single unpleasant person.

ConsI think the only real con of Ameren is that it is very deeply seeded in Seniority. It doesn't feel like I will be abe to move up as fast as I would like based on just merit.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company structure is very hierarchical, and I feel like a more flat structure would allow ambitious, and skilled employees to climb ranks faster, and provide their immense value more effectively.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

management sucks

Telephone Customer Service (Current Employee) Jefferson City, MO (US)

Prosthey pay you a ton of money for doing nothing

Consthe rules change from day to day

Advice to Senior Managementdoes no good to offer management advice, they are smarter than everyone else.

Great Pay, but stressful

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

ProsCompany Values, Co-workers, Salary, Benefits, leadership changes have made it a better more diverse and fair, place to work...enjoyed helping customers understand the company and their services. perks all the time, awesome work environment. parties food days...etc

ConsWork-Life balance, with forced Overtime, was hard to plan for family, social, or other events outside of normal work hours. There is very little room for promotion, you may get opportunities to be apart different team or aspects of customer service but upward mobility is very competitive

Human Resources filled with managers with no bench strength.

Human Resource Associate (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsBenefits, vacation and pension are excellent. I would recommend to a friend based on compensation and benefits only. Wasn't enough for me to stay.

ConsManagement in HR more concerned with their "titles" than what they produce. Inconsistent hiring practices. The on-boarding processes are unprofessional -- no one can answer questions related to benefits or other employee perks.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlim down the layers of management. Also, get industry leaders in HR that know fair hiring and will model it. Modernize hiring and interview techniques. Hire more support staff!

Good company but far from being an Industry Leader.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsVery good health benefits, compensation was good. Work life balance was great.

ConsWay too many layers of Management, Slow to change, Unwilling to take risks or be proactive.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a definite lack of willingness on the part of upper management to actually "manage" the business. Operating like an old utility will only get you so far. Too many times have I watched opportunities roll past due to indecision. To make matters worse there is no accountability for those bad decisions.

Great Benefits, terrible employee development

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsAmeren has great employee benefits: domestic partner benefits, matching 401K and employee discounts and services. Work flexibility is decent for the most part for management employees. Pay is decent, but could be better. The company has made great strides in increasing public image and employee branding and culture.

ConsMovement in the company is uncommon. It is easier to make a lateral move than to advance your career. The strong focus on diversity is more polarizing that it is uniting. Hires and transfers seem to be made based on image rather than skill.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees about what matters to them rather than listening to what the business world says should be important to employees.

Slow & Steady

Ameren Leadership Team (ALT) (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsGreat benefits and work/life balance

ConsLittle to no career growth, difficult culture if you did not grow up in the company, performance has very little impact/recognition

Infrastructure Specialist

ProsThe medical benefits are good. I cant think of anything other Pros

ConsPoor working environment and poor hours. Work environment is like you will work these hours and do off hours work or ...leave. So you should keep your resume updated. You cannot trust what management tells you. This has been a long standing theme at Ameren. If management tells you one thing, expect just the opposite. Senior management is looking to fill their pockets only. IT should just contract out all of the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign. Or wait...let's find a company to buy you out and 'clean house.'

Worked for Ameren? Contribute to the Community!