AmeriCorps

Updated 18 November 2014
3.6

AmeriCorps Director Rosie K. Mauk
Rosie K. Mauk

Pros
  • Non-profit based projects in numerous different states (in 23 reviews)

• toward student loans, and meet others with similar interests (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • living within the budget set by the living stipend (in 17 reviews)

• I was a member of AmeriCorps state through a very disorganized non-profit (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing experience

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time

Pros

I learned so much during my year, I don't even know what to say. My horizons here broadened considerably, I made really good friends, and it looks so so good on a resume. You learn a lot about non-profits and NGOs, and a lot of really useful skills like gardening, construction, carpentry, first aid, etc.

Cons

Don't join expecting it to be easy, and don't think you're going to change the world either. The work can be physically demanding and monotonous, but you really are making a difference.

Great for those in transition.

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

AmeriCorps was perfect for me after I finished school because it allows you to do something you're passionate about while receiving a steady (though very, very small) stipend. So, you can still support yourself while doing what you love. The education stipend you receive at completion is an added bonus, which helps balance out the low pay.

Cons

AmeriCorps members can sometimes be seen as interns, and get doled out busy work. Just depends on what company you're working for. It can also be really a huge commitment in light of the compensation.

N/A

A place for personal growth

Former Employee - Jumpstart Tutor in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Jumpstart Tutor in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Constant training programs, scholarship benefits for students, great alumni network, great opportunities around the nation. Great experience working with teams and community building

Cons

Meeting the hours requirement for some institutions may be difficult when balancing school and work. Definitely do the full year program and avoid doing it within a shorter time frame if possible, i.e one semester

I am currently serving- one year total.

Current Employee - AmeriCorps* Vista in Kalispell, MT (US)
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps* Vista in Kalispell, MT (US)

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone will have a different experience, but mine has been amazing. My supervisor is fantastic and flexible with my schedule. I love serving my community. It's great for your resume and the education award is nice if you plan on continuing your education (or pay some existing loans).

Cons

The only downfall I have experienced is the living allowance. My loan company isn't helping in any way so that's been difficult.

The most stressful yet rewarding experience of my life. It was my privilege to serve with excellent and admirable people

Former Employee - AmeriCorps NCCC Team Leader in Sacramento, CA (US)
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps NCCC Team Leader in Sacramento, CA (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent training and compensation. Provides so many opportunities to experience America in such a unique way.

Cons

Challenging to lead, live, and work with the same team of people for 10 months.

A fantastic opportunity for young, service-oriented leaders

Former Employee - NCCC Team Leader in Vinton, IA (US)
    Former Employee - NCCC Team Leader in Vinton, IA (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a team leader I had the opportunity to lead a group of young people in disaster response operations. We were literally one of the first teams on the ground for the response to Hurricane Sandy. We collaborated with many state and federal agencies and I can honestly say that while many while have different experiences, no other year of my life has yielded such tremendous growth.

Cons

You will be living on a minuscule budget, making a small living stipend, gain access to an unremarkable scholarship, live life cramped with the same team of people nearly 24/7 if you choose to join the NCCC program. I miss it regularly.

Allow room for your team leaders to resolve problems outside of the tried approaches. While a relationship with the unit leader is important, it is the relationship with the team of corps members that says the most.

I had a valuable experience working with AmeriCorps that was a great way to prepare myself for applying to graduate school.

Former Employee - Blue Mountain Action Council in Walla Walla, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Blue Mountain Action Council in Walla Walla, WA (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

Education award
    Team building
    Experience in a field that interested me
    Volunteer service

Cons

Living stipend was difficult to live on

Idealist

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great experience if you want a career in direct service. Your are connected with a lot of like minded people and can build relationships within the non-profit community.

Cons

Direct service can eventually lead to burn out. Once you decide that you'd like to explore other options one may find that their experience can be hard to taylor to other positions.

Provide more wide ranging professional development opportunities so members aren't pigeon holed.

'Improving' volunteer organizations seeking temporary skilled labor.

Former Employee - VISTA Summer Education Associate in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - VISTA Summer Education Associate in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

AmeriCorps works to improve other volunteer and charity organizations, so there are a wide varieties of opportunities to impact good causes through Americorp. For subsidized volunteering, the living allowance is good, and there is an additional education award for students or those with student loans.

Cons

There may be significant differences in the position as described by recruiters, in training, and in reality. An indirect capacity planning position for the Boys and Girls Club, became direct implementation of an undeveloped education program and contributing to general operations duties, with nominal attention to reporting on metrics which were irrelevant to this particular program. The allowance is less than a wage, and overtime and occasional private vehicle use are expected and uncompensated.

Accurate descriptions in recruiting will improve the qualifications of employees for positions. While job descriptions need not be comprehensive, they should not be coordinated with the organizations involved so as not to be misleading.

VISTA with regrets

Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Partnered with great non-proft organizations

Cons

No CNCS, state office, or alumni support

check in on your sites

AmeriCorps Photos

Fire Team 10 Mural The Funky Bunch Commandos (Photo thanks to Flickr user sundaykofax, available under by v2.0)

+ Add Photo