AmeriCorps

Updated 16 October 2014
3.6

AmeriCorps Director Rosie K. Mauk
Rosie K. Mauk

Pros
  • Non-profit based projects in numerous different states (in 23 reviews)

• toward student loans, and meet others with similar interests (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • living within the budget set by the living stipend (in 16 reviews)

• I was a member of AmeriCorps state through a very disorganized non-profit (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Perfect Resume Builder

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

I had an awesome experience and gained some great contacts working with Americorps in Los Angeles. You truly feel like you're making an impact in the community.

Cons

The stipend is absolutely horrible so if you need help paying the bills this is not a good option. Additionally, the hour expectations balanced with a school schedule make it difficult to maintain another job.

I realize this is a government entity so it is impossible to gain too much more money, but if possible a stipend increase or additional benefits is needed to allow the students to survive.

Great opportunity for college students

Former Employee - Intern in Terre Haute, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Terre Haute, IN (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work hours will not conflict with school hours. Americorps provides excellent opportunities to learn how to lead individually and how to cooperate with large groups of people. Students will learn valuable skills such as grant writing, how to work with various groups of people, multi-tasking skills, and will have hundreds of hours to devote to community service and non-for-profit projects within their community.

Cons

Outside requirements may be time consuming. The application process is about 40 pages long and requires 3 references to write and send in to the student's application office for Americorps. Not all schools participate in Americorps. The program I selected provided me with a monthly allowance and by the end of my service term, I received a $2000 grant which helped greatly with school housing fees.

Generally the program is overlooked by a superior and actually run by grad students. It is easy for your supervisor to get caught up in other projects, so, the student must be very organized and time-conscious.

Would do it again.

Current Employee - Literacy Tutor in Mount Vernon, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Literacy Tutor in Mount Vernon, WA (US)

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Saw the impact I made, loved the students I worked with.

Cons

Stipend pay is not enough to live on.

Great program

Not a bad way to spend a year or two

Former Employee - Education Team Member in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Education Team Member in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Health insurance, meaningful work

This position included full medical insurance (I can't remember if dental and eye was included). I was placed in an elementary school where I worked as a teaching assistant during the school day and then administered the after-school enrichment program, which consisted of 1 hour of homework followed by activities and athletics.

Cons

Stipend, no room for growth, long hours (8-6)

The stipend given bi-weekly was $1600/month. Post-tax I took home about $680 every 2 weeks. It's not much money, but I knew that going in. This is a 1 or 2-year gig where you'll need to find something else afterward. You don't need a college degree to be considered, so it's something you can do part-time while in school if that's what you're looking for.

AmeriCorps Project Coordinator

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time

Pros

Project Management Experience, leadership opportunity, ability to improve and make a difference in your community.

Cons

Pay, ability to leverage the position to a full-time opportunity.

Americorps VISTA

Current Employee - Youth Outreach Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Youth Outreach Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at AmeriCorps as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great mission! Would love to work there again!

Cons

There truly are none! It was a blast!

Great organization to serve with at anytime during high school, undergraduate, or graduate school

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

Great way to fulfill passion

Cons

Beware of organization that have money management issues

Stay member oriented

Great opportunity for me, but not for everyone.

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Prescott, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Prescott, AZ (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work above your pay grade--in individual placement, Americorps members often are entrusted with a level of responsibility and control over their domains that is difficult to get right out of college. The educational award is more than I would have paid of my student loans or saved for grad school otherwise.

Cons

The pay is abysmal, and your experience is greatly influenced by which agency is in charge of your Americorps program and by which non-profit you're placed with.

CNCS: dial back the incentives not to fire Americorps members. As far as I understand, orgs that place Americorps members lose funding if they scale back the number of members they have placed. The result is that people who are basically unemployable get shuttled from one non-profit to the next instead of being fired, and it reflects badly on national service members.

Americorps Jumpstart Corps Member

Former Employee - Jumpstart Tutor in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Jumpstart Tutor in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Coworkers were fun, friendly, and diverse.
    Offered training sessions and allowed us to formulate lesson plans per students' needs

Cons

Hard to coordinate with supervisor, as I worked part-time while in college.
    Class visit times were limited.
    Strict rules about how to interact with our students

Rewarding but extremely trying experience

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor

Pros

You will help a lot of people. The program I did was in Raleigh, NC with Workforce Development. Mainly assisting people with computer use. A lot of grateful customers that really appreciate your time. Service projects are fun and allow you to really get involved with the community you're in.

Cons

Specific to the "Access JobLink" Program: Little guidance and supervision (Depending on specific worksite), Considered an "Employment Advisor" but training included half day on Resume writing and interviewing which was not enough. Requires more patience than you might have. Working with a State Gov. entity and Private Company where money seems to be the main motive, rather than actually helping people find work.

Spend more time training members on skills required to be an Employment Advisor. There needs to be better communication between Program Manager and Site Supervisors and defined responsibilities for members so everyone knows their role.

AmeriCorps Photos

Fire Team 10 Mural The Funky Bunch Commandos (Photo thanks to Flickr user sundaykofax, available under by v2.0)

+ Add Photo