AmeriCorps

Updated 17 September 2014
3.6

AmeriCorps Director Rosie K. Mauk
Rosie K. Mauk

Pros
  • You get a lot of training that will prepare you for another non-profit or government job (in 22 reviews)

• toward student loans, and meet others with similar interests (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • The mediocre living stipend is not enough to live on, you have to have another job to support yourself (in 12 reviews)

• I was a member of AmeriCorps state through a very disorganized non-profit (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Life changing experience

Former Employee - National Civilian Community Corps Member  in  Sacramento, CA (US)
    Former Employee - National Civilian Community Corps Member in Sacramento, CA (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I was given the opportunity to travel the country, gain new skills, and work with like minded people. I gained a wealth of new skills in a short amount of time. They provide training, support and education.

Cons

You are not compensated very well. You receive a very modest stipend (they do pay for food, work based travel, and living expenses). The education award is not very much and is taxed if you don't use it correctly (overtime as opposed to all in one go), you will lose most of it to taxes. The working conditions are not necessarily glamorous and you may experience things you don't want (sleeping in tents for weeks at a time, sharing a bedroom with 4 other people). It's a rigorous experience and you really need to prepare yourself for it. (But it's totally worth it!)

Very rewarding experience while attending college

Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA  in  Sarasota, FL (US)
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Sarasota, FL (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time for less than a year

Pros

Extremely satisfying experiences, great opportunity to help improve local community, ability to work idependently, and offers grants for education

Cons

Working environments can be challenging (in my case, I worked with many children with behavioral problems), compensation is little, and sometimes can get "stuck" without much guidance

AmeriCorps: Project 4-H CAPITAL

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at AmeriCorps part-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent training. Wonderful values. Education Award. $600 stipend per month for 1/2 time. $1200 per full time.

Cons

Low compensation for the quality of education we provide for children (thought I do understand why).

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Learning Experience-- depends entirely on your nonprofit site

Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in New York, NY (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time for more than a year

Pros

I learned a huge amount in just one year and am much more confident in myself professionally. I was well supported and encouraged at the social service nonprofit where I spent the year, and accomplished a great deal.

Cons

As everyone so far has mentioned, the living stipend is not enough to live on and the benefits are nonexistent. In addition, the online resources for VISTAs are not particularly useful. The organization is vast and bureaucratic, leading me to rely entirely on the nonprofit I was placed with for support rather than Americorps itself. I do recommend Americorps if you have the resources, but be sure that the nonprofit you are going into is prepared to treat you as a de facto employee rather than a "volunteer."

It's not about the money

Former Employee - Site Coordinator  in  Bellingham, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Site Coordinator in Bellingham, WA (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

You are able to get a great position without having that much experience in the field, training, education award, flexible hours, you are able to take vacation if you make up your hours, health care coverage,

Cons

Stipend is at the poverty level- it's almost impossible to live on the stipend I had to get a second job and I was exhausted because I was working a full time and a part time job.

Increasing living allowances, and make sure non-profits are following the AmeriCorps practices

Corps Member

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

End of service Education Award, Work experience

Cons

Pay, hours, lack of professionalism

Careful where you serve, but great learning opportunity!

Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best reason to serve as an AmeriCorps VISTA member is the incredible job experience in a nonprofit setting. There is no way that I would have been given such a high level position in such a large organization if I hadn't gone through VISTA. I learned a huge amount about working in a nonprofit and working with volunteers. There are a lot of career growth opportunities and there is a lot of support for VISTAs in most communities.

Cons

The biggest challenge I faced was that I didn't have enough work to do to occupy my time. Often, VISTA supervisors aren't sure exactly what to do with "their" VISTAs, so it may take time to find a rhythm and find your place in the organization. Another con to keep in mind is the low stipend. Technically, you are considered a volunteer, but you do receive a poverty level stipend - usually just enough for you to scrape by wherever you're living. Also, you are not allowed to work a second job or earn money outside VISTA. Be sure to pick your organization carefully when applying, because while there are certainly good positions out there, there are also many that will not result in a good experience.

VISTA year service

Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great experience, great look on resume, doorway to public service, non-competitive eligibility for federal jobs one year after your service ends, get to actually help people in need, work with and meet the greatest people.

Cons

one year commitment with poverty-level stipend pay while being prohibited from outside income in any capacity. many different levels of oversight from all over the country and frequent check-ins. being limited to one project only can be socially isolating at particular sites and makes networking much harder.

Dedicating your time to service

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member  in  Knoxville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Knoxville, TN (US)

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time for less than a year

Pros

Americorps is great way to start post-grad life without making an extended commitment to a company or place. While in Americorps, you qualify for student loan forbearance or are eligible for an educational grant which you can use for furthering your education. In my experience, Americorps will help to set you up with a living situation and roommates.

Cons

You receive an almost unlivable monthly stipend. Also, there is very little direction between Americorps and the site supervisors that manage the programs.

Challenging but fulfilling.

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member  in  Greenfield, MA (US)
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Greenfield, MA (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Changing the world feels good. A good program will also give you great professional development. I'm not sure that I actually *got* really good professional development, but I also wasn't sure what I was looking for. Food stamps are pitched as a pro, however, the con is that you can't get unemployment when your term is up.

Cons

Long hours (sometimes 50hr weeks), low pay (less than 1k a month). Their health plan left a lot to be desired, and I hear it wasn't great even AFTER the ACA changed how we do health coverage. In any event, I went with state indigent health care instead.

I didn't expect to get rich doing AmeriCorps, but I also felt like to some extent, we were overworked beyond my expectations.

Worked for AmeriCorps? Contribute to the Community!