AmeriGas

Updated 25 February 2015
3.1

AmeriGas President & CEO Jerry E. Sheridan
Jerry E. Sheridan

Pros
  • Great people as far as peers and the next level of management up (in 4 reviews)

• The overtime hours, depending on the route, can be substantial and add a tidy sum to the paycheck (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for advancement, pay isn't that great and the "raise" they give you every year is a joke - 1-3%, yeah way to keep up with that cost of living (in 3 reviews)

• Work-life balance does not exist in this company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

I loved everything except the mix up that the had to let me go

Former Contractor - Customer Payment Options Representative in King of Prussia, PA (US)

I worked at AmeriGas as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for,great benefits and atmosphere.

Cons

There upper and lower management does not communicate well.

Don't start temp to hire Positions and not communicate between upper and lower that the position was promised to an employee in the future. It would have been great to have a long term opportunity with you all.

Large Company, many options, know your goals and they will help you.

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Hazelwood, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Hazelwood, MO (US)

I worked at AmeriGas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company has many benefits. Best of all is PROFIT SHARING!!! This is the only company that I have ever worked for that offers this.

Cons

My opinion is that they understaff, which; makes the job harder than it should be. I delivered forklift cylinders. My state does not allow on-site fueling. So after deliveries were made we(the drivers) had to unload our trucks, refill the cylinders and reload the trucks. The work load was terribly distributed among drivers. They have cameras in the trucks(not at all locations).

Open the door to the "Open Door Policy" even more. Remove customer growth off the drivers. They have enough to do. Get away from the fear of a Union. Unions are great for both company and worker. Create a base starting pay for drivers regardless of the type of driving.

Worst company ever worked for

Current Employee - Local Truck Driver
    Current Employee - Local Truck Driver

I have been working at AmeriGas full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have had\ too many jobs in my life. This is by far the worst company I have ever worked for, bar none. From the top management on down, there is little regard for the safety of the employees, little regard for the needs of the customers. The top management have never driven a truck or dragged a hose in all kinds of weather. You are a statistic. College grads with far too little practical experience judge you and set the criteria. DO NOT EVER ACCEPT A JOB WITH THIS COMPANY. And this is the best I can say.

Cons

Read everything in the pros and multiply it ten fold and you have the cons in this company. I am embarrassed to be the face of such incompetence and lack of caring for the customer. I will be leaving as soon as I have fou nd the right job for me. If you are desperate for a job, don't work here. Collect food stamps, go on welfare. Just don't accept this torture.

Spend one month with a driver in February in a truck pulling a hose and doing all the manual labor. Work all of the hours required of the drivers including over the DOT limit. When that driver is on call at night, go with him and do all the labor. If you are still with the company at the end of that month, start basing your decisions on your experience and not your feeble education.

Good Company

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at AmeriGas as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

They really try to keep up the morale of employees. Free pizza and hoagie day once a month and plenty of other small perks throughout the year. It's a good clean environment and most of my coworkers were pleasant.

Cons

Almost everyone starts as a temp and then can be offered a permanent position if they perform well. Bad thing about being a temp is some people are hesitant to teach you anything because they think you'll be leaving in a few months, which turns out to be true a lot. I enjoyed my time here and I learned a lot from those who were willing to teach.

Create more permanent positions so people will want to stay.

What is portrayed is not what you'll get.

I worked at AmeriGas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with some great people.

Cons

Underlying mantra is, "We can't raise the price on a customer we don't have."
    MANDITORY overtime. No regards for family life.

Listen to your employees; they are your front line.

Good start

I have been working at AmeriGas full-time

Pros

Good managers that are there to help you move up in the corporate world.

Many different departments to advance to.

Cons

Healthcare benefits seem a little below average.

Fair Employer- Great Company

I have been working at AmeriGas full-time

Pros

Pros:
    1. FANTASTIC people/employees.
    2. Flat organization - there is no problem interfacing with those one, two, or three levels above you.
    3. National organization- opportunities coast-to-coast.
    4. Opportunity to work on interesting projects and suggest business strategies to your superiors.

Cons

Cons:
    It is true the propane industry is shrinking, although there are ample ways/other areas for growth- just look at what some competitors like NGL and FerrellGas are doing. AmeriGas will realize this soon enough and be the better for it. Yes, employees are being asked to work harder, but I am sure that is true at other public companies as well.

I would make an effort to know as many people at the FSC as possible. They will see your leadership firsthand and the company will be the better for it.

CRR/Super-user

Former Employee - CRR
    Former Employee - CRR

I worked at AmeriGas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

outstanding company with great benefits and values.

Cons

Acquisition of company with lesser values

Don't mess with a good thing, when something is working stay on course.

Pretty good after 32 years service

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at AmeriGas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good chance for promotions if you do your job right

Cons

Leadership leaves something to be desired. Worst part of job is having to work all the time.

Be a little more generous with employees by cutting down on so many executive "board meetings" and such at LUXURY vacation spots like the Carribbean