American Cancer Society Reviews

Updated 29 August 2014

3.1

American Cancer Society CEO John R. Seffrin
John R. Seffrin

Pros
  • Each day you feel like you are making a difference in the lives of others (in 31 reviews)

• A few incredibly creative people; salary; benefits; work/life balance (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • We work when the volunteers can help us, so work life balance can be difficult (in 49 reviews)

• No work life balance and low pay for amount of work/hours required to work (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

I love my job!

Current Employee - Account Representative - Partner Relationships
    Current Employee - Account Representative - Partner Relationships

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fantastic work life balance opportunity. Every day you get to make a difference in the lives of current and future cancer patients and caregivers. It feels great to know you are working to make the world a better place instead of a company's bottom line. No day is ever the same!! Truly the best job I have ever had!

Cons

The company is quite conservative with the "good ol' boys" club at the top. It is seems when someone who is a bit more progressive and ready to take us in to the next century of fighting cancer at the c-suite level, they convienently are "no longer with the company". Nevertheless, the compensation could be a bit more competitive and there is overall lack of investment in employess (tuition reimbursement, advancement, etc).

My advice to management is to stop PREACHING that your employess are your biggest assest and start SHOWING us! Invest in us!! You may be surprised that turn over will decline and stability in certain market shares will be restored. Furthemore, to eliminate cancer in the next century we must start thinking and acting more progressively. Manage the company like a forturne 1,000 corporation not a non-profit! And lastly, stop with the politically correct language when addressing staff. We are much smarter than I feel you give us a credit for. We can read through the lines! Being transparent is speaking honestly and direclty not spewing p.c. jargon to redirect our concerns.

Great organization

I have been working at American Cancer Society

Pros

Amazing cause and great company to work for.

Cons

Can't think of any negatives.

Good place to work so far, been her for about a month.

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

My interview process was quick. Phone interview on Tues and then Face to Face on Friday. Was offered the psoition in about two weeks, that included a holiday. They worked with me on my start date. My team is great, great location.

Cons

Should offer discounted parking or free parking for employees..

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great organization, noble mission, difficult times

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

The people and the relationships you build here are wonderful; there is something truly special about working with an organization that saves lives and has the opportunity to make such positive change on this disease

Cons

The changes that the organization is going through are creating a lot of challenges for the people that work and volunteer for ACS. The organization seems to have lost its focus.

Focus on your people first - everything else will follow

Served as Unpaid Intern, for school credit

Current Employee - Event Planning Intern  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Event Planning Intern in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at American Cancer Society as an intern for less than a year

Pros

If you have a passion for Cancer research, this company is easy to work for. I serve under a wonderful woman who is the community event coordinator, and it is very fun to be around her, and working all toward a single goal.

Cons

The company itself is very much so behind the times. The office does not have wifi and makes it tough for interns to bring in laptops to work.

Great!

I worked at American Cancer Society as an intern

Pros

Very professional and rewarding experience at ACS

Cons

i didn't find any cons within the company

Personally satisfying, honoring both parents who died from cancer

Former Employee - Store Clerk  in  Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Store Clerk in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I worked at American Cancer Society part-time for more than a year

Pros

Got to purchase gently used designer clothing at low prices, less an employee discount

Cons

No room for advancement, difficult personalities among the volunteers, inventory often sub-par

Work harder on getting better donors

Online Chair Committee Member

Current Employee - Online Chair Member  in  Grand Rapids, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Online Chair Member in Grand Rapids, MI (US)

I have been working at American Cancer Society for less than a year

Pros

Cancer affects almost every person in this country. The American Cancer Society is a organization dedicated in finding early detection and the cure for cancer. As a volunteer for the organization, you will feel that you are doing your part in finding the cure. There are a wide array of opportunities to participate/volunteer for the cause. Start a fundraising team or join the committee are just a couple ways to volunteer.

Cons

The website is in dire need of an overhaul. As a volunteer, it should be user friendly to help organize & coordinate the local Relay for Life. It has great information, and provides resources that is very beneficial but user interface is clunky and it very easy to get lost within the site.

Large Non-Profit

Current Employee - Community Relationship Manager
    Current Employee - Community Relationship Manager

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

Volunteers are amazing. If you love being able to dive into issues surrounding cancer research, explaining how and when donations go into life-saving research and some really freaking cool science, go for it. It makes volunteers feel that much more appreciated.

Lots of travel.

Cons

Lots of travel, highly flexible work hours and schedules.

Middle management needs much more training.

Several decades of knowledge toss aside as waste

Former Employee - Rocks In Backpack - High Plains Division
    Former Employee - Rocks In Backpack - High Plains Division

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Loved the overall benefits while working there. When something came up, you were able to leave and settle up later with little issues.

Cons

Restructure was more cleaning house than seeing overall what was needed for organization. Building plane in midair isn't really a good idea. When you build a worthwhile house, you don't start with the roof. Throwing away talent that had been providing for several decades doesn't leave good taste in mouth when all is said and done.

It really would have been nice if you had learned from your initial mistakes during the restructure instead of repeating them over and over again giving other companies access to your great talent pool that knew how to fix problems instead of creating more of them. Calling your support staff rocks in backpack really didn't make us happy, but it really didn't seem to bother you and what you did.

Worked for American Cancer Society? Contribute to the Community!