American Cancer Society

Updated 14 October 2014
3.1

American Cancer Society CEO John R. Seffrin
John R. Seffrin

Pros
  • Each day you feel like you are making a difference in the lives of others (in 32 reviews)

• A few incredibly creative people; salary; benefits; work/life balance (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • We work when the volunteers can help us, so work life balance can be difficult (in 50 reviews)

• No work life balance and low pay for amount of work/hours required to work (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Great friendly staff

Former Employee - Volunteer in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at American Cancer Society part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great mission, good people wanting to help people

Cons

over worked, a lot of goals that do not get completed

Administrative Assistant

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work environment is exceptional. Everyone is Positive and Team Orientated. Great Customer Services

Cons

No Cons. Great place to work 5 days a week.

Keep doing what you are doing. It works!!

A Great Place To Work

Current Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at American Cancer Society as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The New York City location is centrally located. The offices are bright, large and airy. I'm only seasonal, but I've found my colleagues to be friendly and open. The managers are easy to talk to and always there if you need them.

Cons

I'm seasonal and I have not been there that long, so I really do not have any cons.

Keep doing what your doing. I've been in the workplace long enough to know when management is doing a good job and when management is doing a bad job. Management at ACS is doing a good job.

Thirty five year, full time staff person working in Health Initiatives

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My work began as a mission-focused staff working with hundreds of community volunteers and other health organization partners. The organization was grassroots based and included survivors and families, public health and oncology professionals, public policy volunteers and community collaborators.

Cons

The organization had and continues to have numerous organizational transitions in its approach to be relevant in today's cancer world.

N/A

Great mission; long hours

Current Employee - Specialist, Relay for Life
    Current Employee - Specialist, Relay for Life

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The American Cancer Society has a great mission; a person can be very proud to work for this organization. There are many opportunities for training and a lot of collaboration between departments.

Cons

Long hours are expected for staff, often causing burnout and high turnover. Salaries have not increased in a few years but job roles have gotten more time consuming.

Salary for most needs to be reviewed. ACS has less employees since transformation which means more work for everyone, but salaries have not increased.

The American Cancer Society is a great place to work and help people battling cancer.

Current Employee - Communications
    Current Employee - Communications

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company stresses work-life balance. Gives employees ample time off, to take care of your family. Leadership is very supportive.

Cons

Everyone is expected to help fund raise for the Society, but because it does so much in the community this is not very difficult.

Great Company - Great Mission

Former Employee - Community Relationship Manager
    Former Employee - Community Relationship Manager

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people - both coworkers and volunteers are amazing. The mission of ACS is so important and so many work so hard to find a cure. The work is rewarding. Great opportunities for advancement. I loved working here.

Cons

Work-life balance can sometimes be challenging.

Set more realistic goals and don't punish employees for the state of the economy.

Great Place to be an Employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Almost everyone here is passionate about the mission. It's a large enough organization that you'll have the opportunity to do a lot of things if you're interested. You'll work with some of the smartest and nicest people around. The offices are in a beautiful, centrally located building downtown. The org is very loyal to its employees and vice versa.

Cons

As someone who came in from the consulting world, it can be frustrating to deal with the lack of urgency that some employees have. There are strong organizational silos that lead managers and directors to look after their turf at the expense of the overall organization. I.T. is probably the worst at that. Their systems only exist to support the business, but you often wouldn't know that by the way they dictate terms to the business.

The building has our name on it but houses other companies, too. Work with building owners to ban smoking anywhere on the property. I know multiple people who say they see smokers outside of "our" building and think we're an organization full of hypocrites. Employees have no access to stairwells and time limited access to escalators. This discourages walking up and down stairs, which is one of the easiest things we can do for our own health during the work day. More integration, less silos. The loyalty to employees is great, but the sense that many employees have that they're completely safe in their jobs leads to that lack of urgency I mentioned. Underperforming employees should be let go when they consistently fail regardless of their tenure or politics.

Not the best experience

Former Employee - Donation Specialist in East Lansing, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Donation Specialist in East Lansing, MI (US)

I worked at American Cancer Society part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hourly wage & training were good

Cons

Lack of hours, micromanaging & solicitation

Show employees where donations are actually going

MSABC

Current Employee - MSABC Telemarketer in Santa Ana, CA (US)
    Current Employee - MSABC Telemarketer in Santa Ana, CA (US)

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

Great experience if you need practice on telemarketing.

Cons

Horrible management. Poor office culture. Company has gone through too many transformations and has led to poor office morale.

Stop micromanaging.