American Cancer Society

American Cancer Society Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

American Cancer Society CEO John R. Seffrin

John R. Seffrin

Pros:
  • "Each day you feel like you are making a difference in the lives of others"
    in 29 reviews
  • "A few incredibly creative people; salary; benefits; work/life balance"
    in 24 reviews
Cons:
  • "We work when the volunteers can help us, so work life balance can be difficult"
    in 45 reviews
  • "No work life balance and low pay for amount of work/hours required to work"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

If you have the right job, it works ...

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMany of the staff are bright, focused, and passionate people who have a personal interest in the mission. The recent Transformation is creating opportunities for new blood (external applicants) to replace those who are burned out or unqualified. Benefits are good as is support if you know the right people to go to.

ConsThe organization is in chaos due to the transformation and will likely not stabilize for a few years. Pockets of excellence exist and poorly run units do too. Work life balance for some roles is non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that this kind of change creates chaos and remove as much pressure from staff as you can. They will still work hard for you. Put field staff on work groups. Lower executive salaries -- it's not good to have non-profit leadership be in the 1%.

A time of professional learning and growth

Program Manager (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 5 years

ProsValues employees and recognizes and tries to positively utilize employee knowledge, skills and abilities. Managerial support

ConsAt times, expectations are not clearyly defined. Feels like the focus is revenue generation and the public health message is getting lost.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive equal focus public health and revenue generation

ACS: Always Changing Something - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Marketing and Communications (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 10 years

ProsYes, we had to change. If we hadn't, we'd have imploded. We have done a good job of remaining focused on our mission. It does feel like we'll have more direct lines of command.

ConsWe still have people in leadership roles who do not connect through all ranks. Example - while preparing for National Volunteer Week, the Society Talk program featured top leaders talking about their experiences with volunteers. It seemed doubtful that those leaders worked "on the ground, in the field" with the same types of people most of our staff work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany of our positions now seem to have fewer opportunities for advancement within the same job family. It's easy to feel a bit "stuck" in a role.

"Very nice people and opportunity"

Summer Research Intern (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at American Cancer Society as an intern for less than a year

ProsWorked in their now defunct summer research program. It was a great opportunity to gain research experience and get to know scientists in the field. The people in the lab that I worked in were very nice and always willing to teach me and walk me through things. ACS program coordinators were supportive and offered great advice and support.

ConsThe internship was a wonderful opportunity, but I wish that the selection of sites to send interns was more in tune with our personal interests than random placement.

Great opportunity to make an impact in the lives of others

Senior Manager Hospital Systems (Current Employee)
Fresno, CA (US)

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat opportunities to make a direct impact in the quality of life of patients who are fighting for their life. Excellent networking opportunities. Knowing that the work you are doing is having an overall impact in global healthcare is very rewarding.

ConsThe overall organization needs to be more inclusive and diverse to reflect its communities. .

Advice to Senior ManagementDiversity training is essential in the overall success of the organization, Diverse, culturally competent Multi-language staff are necessary in all field offices.

Happy with this organization.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at American Cancer Society

ProsGreat place to work with excellent benefits.

ConsGreat place to work with excellent benefits.

I believe in the mission of this organization, but if it weren't for that, I would have left in the last year.

Senior Manager, Relay for Life (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI believe in the mission of the American Cancer Society. I have a great staff team who also believe in the mission and work very hard to keep the ball moving forward. I also enjoy watching our volunteers grow and develop. ACS offers decent benefits and flexible time off policies.

ConsWith all of the changes in leadership in the past year, there are many people in their current roles who are great people-managers, but they have very little working knowledge of the strategy for which they're responsible. These leaders really should be listening to the field - and taking a regular pulse, so that decisions that are made do not make it impossible for field staff to do their jobs effectively. There is a HUGE break-down in communication and by the time changes trickle down to the field level, everything becomes rushed and this is creating more stress on our staff and our volunteers. We are losing trust from our volunteers. There is no recognition for loyal staff; I received no acknowledgement, whatsoever, when I hit my ten year anniversary with the organization earlier this year. I didn't expect any big fanfare, or a gift, but a simple note or even an email would have been nice.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease invite FIELD LEVEL STAFF to join teams that are making decisions at a National level about changes to policy or the way we do things. Some of the changes being rolled out really make no sense at the field level, but because of the complete lack of communicatoin between the field and the decision makers, it is becoming more and more difficult and stressful to get our jobs done! Also, If we aren't 100% sure we can have something done by a certain date, then share the date that we ARE definitely confident it can be completed/shared. In any other corporation, this is a standard, but it seems our standard has become quite the opposite. Just tell us the truth - and stick to what you promise! We have all learned that if Corporate Center promises something in three weeks, we should not count on getting it for at least 4-5 weeks. We are losing the respect and trust of our staff and volunteers, more and more. Also, give us back our face-to-face trainings budget! Our events are suffering and will continue to do so, without an avenue for proper trainings - both for staff and volunteers.

Fullfilling

Senior Manager, Hospital Systems (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI love working for an organization that makes a difference in people's lives. Much of our work is done through/with volunteers which is very rewarding.

ConsThere are departments that struggle with work/life balance. During our recent transformation, and continuing today, positions posted outside of the organization may be compensated at a higher level than an internal hire. I do not feel this is supportive of staff and it sends a bad message.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to each other. After Transformation, with a much smaller and more focused Division leadership group, It seems that communication between strategies is still a challenge. Compensate your exisitng staff at the same levels that you hire from outside. It is cheaper to keep staff than replace staff.

Worked as an epidemiologist for 1.5 years and learned a lot.

Epidemiologist (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than a year

Pros1. People are very easy to work with. They are nice and supportive.
2. Have unique opportunity to work with data from large cohort studies.
3. Well paid.

ConsOutside cooperation is limited.
Really no big complains so far.

Great place to work

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time

ProsFantastic cause, an organizationt that truly does a lot of good for a lot of people. Great benefits including time off package and pension plan.

ConsSenior leadershup can be micro-managing at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou hire great people - trust them.

Worked for American Cancer Society? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Cancer Society reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for American Cancer Society CEO John R. Seffrin. All 347 reviews are posted anonymously by American Cancer Society employees.