American Cancer Society

American Cancer Society Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

American Cancer Society CEO John R. Seffrin

John R. Seffrin

Pros:
  • "Each day you feel like you are making a difference in the lives of others"
    in 29 reviews
  • "A few incredibly creative people; salary; benefits; work/life balance"
    in 24 reviews
Cons:
  • "We work when the volunteers can help us, so work life balance can be difficult"
    in 45 reviews
  • "No work life balance and low pay for amount of work/hours required to work"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

If you have the right job, it works ...

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMany of the staff are bright, focused, and passionate people who have a personal interest in the mission. The recent Transformation is creating opportunities for new blood (external applicants) to replace those who are burned out or unqualified. Benefits are good as is support if you know the right people to go to.

ConsThe organization is in chaos due to the transformation and will likely not stabilize for a few years. Pockets of excellence exist and poorly run units do too. Work life balance for some roles is non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that this kind of change creates chaos and remove as much pressure from staff as you can. They will still work hard for you. Put field staff on work groups. Lower executive salaries -- it's not good to have non-profit leadership be in the 1%.

ACS: Always Changing Something - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Marketing and Communications (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 10 years

ProsYes, we had to change. If we hadn't, we'd have imploded. We have done a good job of remaining focused on our mission. It does feel like we'll have more direct lines of command.

ConsWe still have people in leadership roles who do not connect through all ranks. Example - while preparing for National Volunteer Week, the Society Talk program featured top leaders talking about their experiences with volunteers. It seemed doubtful that those leaders worked "on the ground, in the field" with the same types of people most of our staff work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany of our positions now seem to have fewer opportunities for advancement within the same job family. It's easy to feel a bit "stuck" in a role.

Happy with this organization.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at American Cancer Society

ProsGreat place to work with excellent benefits.

ConsGreat place to work with excellent benefits.

Fullfilling

Senior Manager, Hospital Systems (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI love working for an organization that makes a difference in people's lives. Much of our work is done through/with volunteers which is very rewarding.

ConsThere are departments that struggle with work/life balance. During our recent transformation, and continuing today, positions posted outside of the organization may be compensated at a higher level than an internal hire. I do not feel this is supportive of staff and it sends a bad message.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to each other. After Transformation, with a much smaller and more focused Division leadership group, It seems that communication between strategies is still a challenge. Compensate your exisitng staff at the same levels that you hire from outside. It is cheaper to keep staff than replace staff.

"Very nice people and opportunity"

Summer Research Intern (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at American Cancer Society as an intern for less than a year

ProsWorked in their now defunct summer research program. It was a great opportunity to gain research experience and get to know scientists in the field. The people in the lab that I worked in were very nice and always willing to teach me and walk me through things. ACS program coordinators were supportive and offered great advice and support.

ConsThe internship was a wonderful opportunity, but I wish that the selection of sites to send interns was more in tune with our personal interests than random placement.

Great place to work, however several opportunities to improve staff and volunteer experience.

Income Development Specialist (Current Employee)
Des Moines, IA (US)

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible Schedule - can schedule personal appointments when need to and make up time
Great PTO/Holiday benefits
Very Rewarding
Work with very dedicated and passionate volunteers
Great resources for cancer patients and their families

ConsDoesn't have a team feel as everyone works with outside volunteers in their own realm of work.
Leadership opportunities seem to be limited to the larger offices.
Amount of reporting continues to increase event though there are tools in place to capture the information (managers are asking for multiple forms to be filled out)
Workload has a tendency to be overwhelming for one staff parter.
Event staff is over loaded with territory responsibilities - which makes the work/life balance difficult to maintain at a healthy level which equals in turnover of staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage national campaigns to be more proactive for advance planning/soliciting of donors.
Create communications that allign us as on organization especially when it comes to campaigns across the nation.
Really look at the work life balance and realistic responsibilities of one staff partner.
Work with management to help their employees meet their professional goals within the organization.
Would be great to create a support set up where the admins are more of assistants working on the events instead of administrative support.

Great opportunity to make an impact in the lives of others

Senior Manager Hospital Systems (Current Employee)
Fresno, CA (US)

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat opportunities to make a direct impact in the quality of life of patients who are fighting for their life. Excellent networking opportunities. Knowing that the work you are doing is having an overall impact in global healthcare is very rewarding.

ConsThe overall organization needs to be more inclusive and diverse to reflect its communities. .

Advice to Senior ManagementDiversity training is essential in the overall success of the organization, Diverse, culturally competent Multi-language staff are necessary in all field offices.

Great Company

Cancer Information Specialist (Former Employee)
Austin, TX (US)

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time for more than a year

ProsYou know you're really helping people at ACS.
Great values & training.

ConsCancer really sucks. Just saying.

Unrealistic expectations - too much internal fighting for dollars

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat mission - great programs and services. Great ability to mobilize volunteers for the cause. Good health benefits and the ability to work from home if necessary/flexible work schedule is great.

ConsToo many different departments all fighting for the same dollar for THEIR goal. Goals are set unrealistically high thereby making the staff member work 12 hour days sometimes to try and meet these lofty - unattainable goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more realistic with staff about goal setting. Consider work/life balance. I worked there for 7 years and my salary really didn't increase by much - if at all over that time frame even though I had great performance evaluations. Recognize those who do stay long term. When I celebrated my 5 year - I expected at least a card or email. But received NOTHING. Employees do not feel valued - on top of being burnt out - and so they leave.

Great place to work

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time

ProsFantastic cause, an organizationt that truly does a lot of good for a lot of people. Great benefits including time off package and pension plan.

ConsSenior leadershup can be micro-managing at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou hire great people - trust them.

Worked for American Cancer Society? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Cancer Society reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for American Cancer Society CEO John R. Seffrin. All 346 reviews are posted anonymously by American Cancer Society employees.