American Eagle Outfitters

3.4
1,005 Reviews

American Eagle Outfitters Interim CEO Jay Schottenstein
Jay Schottenstein

Pros
  • There are lots of fun incentives for employees and a great discount on products (in 160 reviews)

• Great employee discount that you are able to share with family and friends (in 81 reviews)

Cons
  • They even made one girl cry because she "wasn't getting enough credit cards" while she was on register (in 90 reviews)

• Work life balance is terrible with no rules to regulate hours between shifts (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

As a previous employee at AE, I must say it has been by far the best retail job I have worked. I have worked at quite a few retail stores in my years of retail, and AE is just the greatest thus far.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/Stylist/Jean Expert in Markham, ON (Canada)

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time

Pros

The management team was by far the best reasons to coming into work everyday. AE was my second home. I could leave late at night and want to return so early in the morning with a smile on my face. Andrea Davis, the store manager made my days very memorable working at AE. Also, the atmosphere and my workmates fall second to making AE an amazing store. Everyone was so upbeat and positive constantly! Everyone motivated each other to work harder and strive to be the greatest employees to provide exceptional customer service.

Cons

The only challenges to working at AE is within thyself. There was always room for improvement and you could only get better at your job. The challenges I faced were within myself, just learning to push myself harder, and have more faith in my work ethics.

Andrea Davis was the best choice to be put as Store manager at American Eagle at the Markville Mall. If it were not for her today I would not be where I am now. I worked at AE for about almost a year and in that short time span I drastically changed and became a much stronger sales associate. I am now working in the gift shops on board Holland America Line as a sales associate and some of the tactics being used on board I am already familiar with them from AE. AE definitely prepared me a whole lot and I could not have asked for anything else. I will never hesitate to going back to working at AE, especially under Andrea Davis.

A great place to start to get retail experience.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Montclair, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Montclair, CA (US)

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pros of working as a sales associate would be the discount employees would receive on clothing.

Cons

Not getting enough hours during the week.

Diverse Location

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters

Pros

Okay starting pay, you get to meet a lot of people, fun but serious managers

Cons

some managers can pick favorites

Great place to work, good pay, positive atmosphere, and fun people.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Manchester, NH (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Manchester, NH (US)

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Starting pay above minimum wage which is good for retail associate. Great discount. Reasonable expectations. Room for advancement. Open ability to communicate with upper management.

Cons

Some managers (not my store) seem afraid to get rid of people even if they are obviously hindering other associates' performance.

loved my co wokers

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (less than an year)

Pros

the employee discount is great if you become a jean expert

Cons

short shifts, and lots of on call shifts

American Eagle review

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Naperville, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Naperville, IL (US)

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very straightforward job, great discount!! Enjoyed working here! Friendly managers!

Cons

Had to greet customers for 8 hours on Black Friday once...not pleasant

Love my store, hate corporate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Carbondale, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Carbondale, IL (US)

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Managers at my store are always amazing. They were always OK with days off, understanding about emergencies, friendly, never talked down, were willing to teach me anything I needed to learn, free with reference letters, and just all around amazing people. I don't think I could imagine a better set of managers. The incentives during the summer and holiday seasons were always amazing as well. I would win anything from free jeans, to jewelry, to cups, to any item under a certain price.

Cons

One of the main challenges was with the upper management, aka district managers and higher. They were never friendly when they came, always talked down, and seemed like they just wanted to scare us. They even made one girl cry because she "wasn't getting enough credit cards" while she was on register. They also have a tendency to say that they're coming, but never show up.

Upper management: I would just say to get to know your employees. You will go so much farther and your stores will perform so much better if you associates think that you're rooting for them, instead of trying to scare them or get them fired.

Great company

Current Employee - Anonymous in Webster, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Webster, MA (US)

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Outgoing and personalized company. Very customer focused.

Cons

The pay as an associate is bare minimum.
    The hours are barely reaching the time able to take a break.

Definitely up the hours.

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in East Lansing, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in East Lansing, MI (US)

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great staff and company. Discount is amazing!

Cons

Annoying week-by-week schedule and getting a sub can be tricky.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (more than an year)

Pros

fun, friendly, great way to learn to work with all kinds of people. If you show that you want to work, management usually will notice and it will be easy to get more hours if you want them, just be friendly and busy when you work.

Cons

some of the hours are random, if any at all for the week depending on your location. management tends to change alot

be friendly and nice to your workers, show respect if you want them to work hard for you.

American Eagle Outfitters Photos