American Eagle Outfitters

Updated 20 August 2014

3.5

American Eagle Outfitters Interim CEO Jay Schottenstein
Jay Schottenstein

Pros
  • There are lots of fun incentives for employees and a great discount on products (in 129 reviews)

• Great employee discount that you are able to share with family and friends (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • For one the poor sales associates hours are based off of how many credit cards they get (in 80 reviews)

• Work life balance is terrible with no rules to regulate hours between shifts (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

Amazing discount
    Great work environment
    Friendly co-workers

Cons

They hire lots of employees and then schedule very little hours, on average 4 hours a week, sometimes more, sometimes not at all. It makes it tough for us employees as we then have to get second jobs and then have to work out the availability, and if they then don't schedule us still in the time slotted, its a bit frustrating.

Don't hire every outgoing person that walks through the doors unless its Christmas! We all agree and talk about how nice it would be if you guys didn't hire so many employees and just scheduled more hours for each one :( That way we can know our stock much better as well if we are in more often!

Friendly environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Ysidro, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Ysidro, CA (US)

Pros

Great work environment, Employee discount 40% solid and sometimes extra discounts on seasonal items. Easy tasks, great customer service training.

Cons

Changing schedule, not much career path, not easy to get to a management possition.

It is always great when you know there's a possibility to have a promotion.

Really fun part-time job while in college!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA (US)

Pros

Fun environment, company values, co-workers, opportunity to grow within company.

Cons

not too flexible during the holidays, but then again, what retail store is around that time?

Management in my store was great! As far as leadership goes, maybe better training for those who are in charge of floor sets. A team can only be do so much without guidance.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Always striving for the top

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

Pros

American Eagle is always striving for top performance, but the company also strives to implement cutting edge technology. Through partnering with shop kick and providing stores new iPods and iPads, American Eagle is known for their customer and sales focus.

Cons

Communication between home office and the stores is sometimes choppy especially with regards to shipment receipt.

Help your stores grow profit by setting up a daily phone call letting stores know exactly how many hours are coming in shipment that day. Yes each store has access to the shipment receipt schedule, but most of the time stores get more than what shows up on the schedule.

Fun job if you have the right staff!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Corpus Christi, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Corpus Christi, TX (US)

Pros

I work with a great staff. Everyone is super nice which makes the job less boring. The discounts are good too. Every time they do a new floor set I get 60% percent off on new items and everything else is the regular 20% off discount. If you love to shop at American eagle then you would really enjoy being able to get new clothes for a ridiculously cheap price. Plus the job is really easy!

Cons

If you aren't outgoing this may not be the place for you. You are constantly having to mention rewards cards and credit cards to customers even as a sales associate on the sales floor. I know the company just wants to give back to the customers with the rewards but it turns most people off. Some people are happy you bring t up but most just want to be left alone while they shop. And I could see how this job could suck if you don't have friendly coworkers to crack a joke with.

I would chill out on the rewards cards and credit cards. I know you just want to "give back" to the customer and offer them services but it really just comes off like you are trying to suck as much money off of them as you can. A lot of people get annoyed from being asked if they want a rewards card or credit card. I don't think you should set a goal for how many rewards cards you think the store needs to get. I think it causes unneeded stress on the employes. I think you should still offer the services just don't force it on people, because that's what it seems like your doing by setting goals.

Good Part-Time Job for College or High School Students Unless Your Looking for Management

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Muncy, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Muncy, PA (US)

Pros

*Friendly Co-Workers
    *EXTREMELY FLEXIBLE hours
    *Easy to talk to your manager and assitants

Cons

*Hire to many people, therefore giving poor hours for part time
    *Will a lot of times call and tell you the 'cut' your shift for the day

Hire fewer people and give more hours to the employees that deserve it based on performance.

Fast paced, fun, and hard work

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Johnstown, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Johnstown, PA (US)

Pros

Laid back dress code, awesome discount, being part of the Aeo family, lots of company provided tools to motivate associates (contests, wall of awesome, etc)

Cons

Terrible payroll ladder, too much to do not enough coverage to do it, hard to move up to SM because lack of open positions and lots of competition when they do open, no room for raises

Consider taking budget cuts from somewhere other than the stores payroll. We need the hours to make you money! Don't let excellent ASMs leave due to lack of promotions/raises

Laid back, easygoing, pleasant work environment.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Kingston, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kingston, NY (US)

Pros

The discount! 40% off, even as just a part time sales associate.

Cons

In my opinion, too customer awareness, to the effect of almost annoying.

good money, DM and RM sucks

Pros

Great Money, Company Culture is Amazing

Cons

RM and DM are the worst in the world, they promote a store manager who cant pass a LP Audit or keep a team for longer than year to Area Manager?

Get ride of RM and Dm

Live your life, love your job.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Lakeland, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lakeland, FL (US)

Pros

The best thing about working here is how friendly most of the customers are. The second best thing is how you're scheduled-- once you learn how to do your job, you're going to be pulling tons of hours. If you do something well, you will be recognized for it. The employee discount is very generous. You'll most likely make a lot of friends working here and it's been a great first job, especially if you're looking to really go into fashion. It makes for great experience selling and learning about retail.

Cons

The managers will scare you. They will intimidate you. It's terrifying- but if they didn't, you wouldn't know what you were doing. Another problem would be the pushing of the credit card. Company policy is three no's before moving on, and I think that's a bit much. The training was hasty, rushed.. you learn pretty much everything on the floor. It's like being tossed from a moving car.

For the most part, I think management is magical. The only thing would be how hard they are on their employees through their first couple months. I definitely went home crying a few times.

Worked for American Eagle Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!