American Eagle Outfitters

3.4
1,034 Reviews

American Eagle Outfitters Interim CEO Jay Schottenstein
Jay Schottenstein

Pros
  • There are lots of fun incentives for employees and a great discount on products (in 160 reviews)

• Great employee discount that you are able to share with family and friends (in 81 reviews)

Cons
  • They even made one girl cry because she "wasn't getting enough credit cards" while she was on register (in 90 reviews)

• Work life balance is terrible with no rules to regulate hours between shifts (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

I have worked with this company for 4 years and can't picture working anywhere else.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters

Pros

Friendly and upbeat atmosphere among coworkers, fast pace, room for growth within the company, and above all, great clothes for a great price.

Cons

Unpredictable customers are always a challenge. This job does require flexibility in hours. Some days you'll get some home early and some days you'll get called in.

Find multiple A players so specific associates don't become burned out.

I love it here!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very generous employee discount, fun, up-beat atmosphere, flexible with school schedules.

Cons

Some management is better than others, pay should be more if a worker is more experienced/shows hard work.

Pay more experienced workers better.

fun company!

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

friendly environment, look forward to going into work, works with your school schedule, the brand is easy to stand by because the quality of their jeans (and only jeans) are made to last!

Cons

Growth is limited, bosses can be very immature because they're surrounded by young workers, hard to get hours... sometimes I'd only get 4 hours in a week and I put out the most credit cards which is what get you the hours!

Overall good experience.

Former Employee - Crew in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Crew in Charlotte, NC (US)

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters (more than an year)

Pros

Enjoyed working here true family atmosphere very good employee benefits was challenging yet fun

Cons

often was more than three managers on duty which led to a lot of miscommunication

Possibly create a head manager on duty and then have assistant managers a lot of miscommunication and disorganization happened due to this fact

Working at AE was positive overall.

Former Employee - Sales in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-I enjoyed working with management and my co-workers, very accepting people.
    -Personally had a lot of growth in learning how to relate with people, even if they don't want to speak with you or listen to store promotions.
    -Still keep up with some co-workers today, though none of us work there anymore.
    -Enjoyed learning about retail, and how to sell to targeted audiences.

Cons

-Training was informative, but I wish there would have been more real life examples of what to do in each position in the store. For example, there was something stolen from the front on my first day of work, and I wasn't sure whether to follow them, how to identify them, or what to do in that scenario.
    -Wish there had been more opportunities for promotion.

Company culture and values are evident, but try to emphasize these in training more. Additionally, think of real-life scenarios to teach new people in training.

good experience as a sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (more than an year)

Pros

good experience if you plan to stay in retail, teaches you about different aspects of the retail industry

Cons

they don't give you many hours, they have something called "call in" shifts which you have to wait around for a call to see if they need you or not

My experience at American eagle outfitter is rewarding!

Current Employee - Key Holder in Chesterfield, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Chesterfield, MO (US)

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Discount
    -Internship opportunities
    -Flexibility with school

Cons

-Late hours
    -sometimes hard work goes unnoticed

I would suggest giving keyholders a monthly bonus if we make plan because we are doing the exact same job as the assistant managers.

college summer job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's nice that they hire seasonally. However they will only schedule you minimum hours until you have worked there several months.

Cons

Because they thought I was 'pretty' they would place me at the front of the store to greet people rather than learn to use the register.

Great Place to Work

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work environment, easy tasks

Cons

Super late nights, double standards

Great company

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work life balance. The culture of American Eagle provides a climate of mutual respect and open communication. The company treats and values employees as people instead of numbers.

Cons

During the holiday time, the work schedule can get hectic but manageable. There is not anything negative to say about the company.

American Eagle Outfitters Photos