American Greetings
corporate.americangreetings.com Cleveland, OH 5000+ Employees

American Greetings Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014
American Greetings – US – “Outside view”

American Greetings CEO and Director Zev Weiss

Zev Weiss

Pros:
  • "Job Flexibility, Work Life balance, Lunches and organized events within the company"
    in 9 reviews
  • "flexible hours, on your own, and if you love organization then this is the place for that"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Lots of senior management promoting growth and innovation, but the business itself does neither"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Most upper management positions are held by individuals who have been with the company 20"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Former creative developer for AG properties

Creative Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Greetings full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFormer president (open sexual harassment, psychological bullying) left the company. Ability to work on a variety of projects. Ability to taken on many roles, being a small department. It may be considered a good place to start out to gain experience.

ConsNepotism. Little advancement opportunities, unless considered a favorite. Work can be tedious. Employees are often micromanaged. Changes to ideas and designs often based on subjective criteria, not what is the best idea. Not creator driven, more management driven. Revolving door of employees. Frequent layoffs. An entire AGP team was laid off, or chose to leave soon after, under current management. None of the laid off employees were brought back, and none of the people who left want to return (draw your own conclusions). Experience and talent here tends to be secondary to shallow criteria of wanting more youthful candidates with lower salaries (draw your own conclusions). If you are laid off or choose to leave, there is no other similar employment in the Cleveland Ohio.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess micromanagement. More trust. Value diverse opinions. Less favoritism. Value and keep talented, experienced, and dedicated employees.

Just your average corporate company.

Brooklyn, OH (US)

I worked at American Greetings full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat employees and managers, cafe, starbucks, brand recognition

ConsSometimes chaotic atmosphere, lots of "budget" cuts and outsourcing, disconnected departments

Former AS for AG

I worked at American Greetings

ProsSet your own schedule, meeting and working with diverse employees and clients, strong corporate structure, company perks (company car/cell phone), relocation assistance

ConsOutside of ASIT program, not strong continuous training for AS...some geographic territories are too large (300+ accounts)...not all territories are the same, may take over territory that has major issues but only have a limited amount of time to fix.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure every new AS goes through the ASIT program

Horrible Place to work if you actually WANT to earn the money they pay you.

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at American Greetings full-time for more than 3 years

ProsJob Flexibility, Work Life balance, Lunches and organized events within the company

ConsPeople are undisciplined and/or fresh out of college. They behave like kids in the job environment often times swearing and talking about their nights out drinking. Employees would rather play ping pong or have an organized lunch paid for by the company rather than work. Deadlines were never met, projects were always over budget and they never actually followed any kind of method for project lifecycle. The company and it's employees are fractured and the various departments do not work or communicate with each other. This costs money!! Additionally they do not stop useless spending.

Advice to Senior ManagementStandardize your project approach. Adopt one type of methodology for project delivery. Get rid of your "AG Interactive" Department completely. They don't do anything beyond what you already have staff for in your coporate IT departments. Hire more seasoned prefessionals. Look at internal spending costs such as printing signs and running chairman awards and reduce those. And for the love of GOD do a final lay-off where you clean house and then focus on rebuilding!!

I Love Working Here...

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Greetings full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat company, would like to retire from here in 15 more years.

ConsNone. Greeting card industry is kind of slow growth right now due to Facebook, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work.

Young culture, old methods

Cleveland, OH (US)

I have been working at American Greetings full-time for more than a year

ProsVibrant workplace, very good people to work with for the most part, company encourages gaining different experience

ConsAntiquated systems (slowly being phased out), many wasteful meetings, some favoritism in promoting

Area Supervisor in Training

Area Supervisor In Training (Former Employee)

I worked at American Greetings full-time for less than a year

ProsIt's a job and right now it's hard to find a job
You get a company car, printer, laptop and office supplies
You don't sit at a desk all day

Cons-The mangers I worked with wanted to put me through 6 months of training in 1 month and blamed me for not learning fast enough when their plan didn't work. They hired me knowing I didn't have a sales/merchandising background.
-Area Supervisors manage the people who stock the card shelves (merchandisers). Merchandisers quit regularly because the job requires too much for too little pay. Who would want to manage a bunch of people who are quitting or thinking about quitting?
-I was told to eat while driving instead of taking a lunch break.
-I interviewed in November and didn't hear back. I emailed several times, all the way into March. It turns out that the woman who interviewed me switched departments, so they had to start the whole process over for me again...in April. After one of my face-to-face interviews, I was driving out of the parking lot and the interviewer called me and wanted me to come back in to talk to her. The interview was very disorganized.
-I was given 36hrs to decide on my offer even though I had another offer from another company. Not bad, but prospective employees might want to know this
-I didn't get to interview with the manager I actually spent most of my time with. If I had interviewed with that person, I don't think I would have accepted my offer.
-During training, I had to learn how to stock the cards. I would do this for 9 hours. I had to start wrapping bandaids around my fingers because I would get bloody hands from all the paper cuts.
-This job requires you to be alone in rural areas with just a store manager and a few employees sometimes. I felt unsafe several times. Some Dollar Store managers can get creepy in the back room.
-I'm so thankful I quit this job before I was relocated. American Greetings treats their Area Supervisors in Training terribly.
-I no longer buy American Greetings products.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more Area Supervisors because they have way too much responsibility right now. Pay the merchandisers more money and allow them more hours to do their jobs.

You have to love your job to stay here.

Keyholder/Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Glen Burnie, MD (US)

I have been working at American Greetings part-time for more than a year

ProsEasy managers and work environment

ConsExtremely low pay, no benefits package.

Started off great! Just don't get injured on the job!

Part Time Merchandiser (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Greetings part-time for less than a year

ProsCan pretty much work your own hours and days.

ConsLow pay, not enough allotted hours for some stores especially ones that always need to be straightened out plus the work you are suppose to do for that week in the store.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf an employee is injured on the job American Greetings should make sure they are able to get proper medical treatment and paid wages until they can return to work without having to fight for them with your workers comp, insurance company. Having your employees suffer without medical treatment and not get paid while they are out of work because the claim was denied for bogus reasons and taking weeks to battle it out with your insurance company is inexcusable.

Good place to work

I worked at American Greetings

ProsGood culture and support of the arts, a gallery to show and sell your work, nice amenities and a big cafeteria.

Consthe company has frequent corporate reorganizations which result in many people getting laid off which is unfortunate and creates unease.

Worked for American Greetings? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Greetings reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for American Greetings CEO Zev Weiss. All 179 reviews are posted anonymously by American Greetings employees.