American Red Cross

Updated 16 December 2014
2.8

American Red Cross President and CEO Gail McGovern
Gail McGovern

Pros
  • Making a difference in recipient lives and promotes diversity (in 37 reviews)

• Helping People in disasters, having a company vehicle to take clients to the doctor (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance (it's required that you still check and respond to emails while on PTO) (in 19 reviews)

• Upper management almost constantly changes operations and organizational structure (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful People/Lousy Management

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people who work for the ARC are caring and committed, It was true joy to come to work and know that I would not face office politics, gossip, etc. The ARC has made enormous strides in the last few years to bring blood collection and blood product manufacture operations up to date.

Cons

Upper management almost constantly changes operations and organizational structure. These changes have resulted in massive layoffs and a work force that is continually off balance and insecure.

Pick one way to do things and stick with it. Don't keep adopting the Next Big Thing; this practice keeps employees nervous and unhappy.

A company currently undergoing restructuring

Former Employee - Supervisor in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at American Red Cross (more than 10 years)

Pros

I stayed as long as I did because of my coworkers. Many have come and gone, but I always enjoyed my time with them.

Cons

The Red Cross is a failing business due to decreased blood demand and trying to get back on track financially. Many cuts have left most of Biomedical understaffed and overworked. There is a plan that should succeed but for what is already very low pay per position, many good staff are going to leave if they haven't already.

Great!

Former Employee - Collections Technician II in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Collections Technician II in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great if you love to travel and work with different people every day.

Cons

Management doesn't know what they are doing.

Get your heads on straight and realize that people need a proper work/life balance

Disaster Service Volunteer-Sandhills Chapter

Current Employee - Disaster Specialist in Sumter, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Disaster Specialist in Sumter, SC (US)

I have been working at American Red Cross as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

The Red Cross provides a great opportunity to work with like minded individuals who are passionate about service and helping others. The chapter I worked with in particular would go above and beyond our limitations to make sure our clients were well taken care of. Even though we only had 3 paid staff in our office, NOBODY was ever treated like they werent important. We have volunteers as young as 16 and as old as 82. These ladies and gents truly are the epitome of serving our fellow men and women.

Cons

Dysfunction and constant region/area realignments leaves the office in a rut at least once every quarter(3months). One quarter this position will be here the next quarter it could be gone and the individual in that position will have no idea what hit them. So many times around the same time periods we'd have a lot of meetings to go to or conference calls just to confirm who'll be back and/or who wouldnt. Luckily nobody has been cut from our office but the fear here is always there.

Don't change your passion.

ARC Biomed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ (US)

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent Mission with amazing employees

Cons

Non Profit Organization-nationwide-too many layoffs recently

Believe in the mission, employment experience depends on department and supervisor

Former Employee - Manager in Wilmington, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Wilmington, NC (US)

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The mission to help people in need and teach people how to prepare for an emergency. When people are prepared for the unexpected, recovery from the disaster is quicker and can save lives.

Cons

As in any company the employment experience depends on who you report to. Some supervisors are true leaders and some supervisors are simply a boss. We follow leaders because you respect them. Bosses are followed because you have to. Depending on who your supervisor is will depend on your satisfaction with the job.

When a supervisor has a high turn over rate, investigate why.

Good job, lack of communication

Current Employee - Collections Specialist II
    Current Employee - Collections Specialist II

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You are paid well, room for advancement, good benefits, I work in blood services and the donors are wonderful, job has a purpose.

Cons

Employees aren't disciplined for poor work ethic, being unprofessional or treating other employees poorly. You have job security because people who have been there for a long time can get away with just about anything and keep their job. Management would rather pacify you by saying they will fix something, but it never gets done. As a result, morale is poor and there is quite a bit of turnover. Work-life balance in non-existent. If I didn't have so many years invested and wouldn't take a huge cut in pay, I would have left years ago.

Listen to your employees when there is a problem, there would not be so much turnover. Communication could be greatly improved.

Great

I worked at American Red Cross full-time

Pros

Nice work - life balance training

Cons

none at all, great company

none and none good people

The organization does great work...Blood products are vital, disaster Services are life changing and the clients are wel

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Blood products are vital, disaster Services are life changing and the clients are deserving and thankful.

Cons

No advancement opportunities, low pay, too top heavy and often positions are filled by what's most convenient rather than what is most appropriate.

Take care of those who perform well and listen to their needs.

Worked as an Intern in Burlington VT

I have been working at American Red Cross

Pros

Great cause, outreach within community is great

Cons

Needs more college students. this isn't necessarily their fault though, but it would help the company greatly expand the level of help

I didn't work too much with management as this was a marketing class project internship

American Red Cross Photos