American Red Cross Reviews

Updated 27 August 2014

2.9

American Red Cross President and CEO Gail McGovern
Gail McGovern

Pros
  • Many of the employees are good people who really want to make a difference (in 22 reviews)

• It was also very good to know that I was helping to save lives every day just by going to work (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • I understand they are "non-profit" etc, but that's still not an excuse (in 27 reviews)

• Too much upper management that sometimes does not know your job function which creates problems (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Great mission! Not so great execution!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Everyday your heart will sing about the incredible difference that you're making in the world. It's astounding, the level of impact and reach to communities and people in need. The work we do makes a difference.

Cons

Layered with red tape; stodgy, complicated and cumbersome systems; lots of silos; lots of starting and stopping; lots of plans are made only to abort them about 3 months; lots of nepotism and politics - must fit into the click; lots of rounds of layoffs; extreme lack of innovation and training

No need. Management has made it clear that they don't want to hear from lower level staff.

American Red Cross Response

Aug 14, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your high praise for our mission and the difference we make in the community.We also thank you for addressing your concerns about day-to-day difficulties in ... More

Uncertain Future of Blood Services

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working with people who are dedicated to the mission of the organization - caring, kind, and compassionate. Decent benefits (used to be better in prior years). Fair amount of time, money, and effort spent on keeping employees happy and engaged (until a year ago).

Cons

Bureaucracy, large amounts of red tape involved for the organization to make any significant changes resulting in loss of market share and flexibility. Subsequent decreased revenue leading to massive reorganization which has stretched on for much longer than necessary, leaving much job uncertainty for remaining employees.

Do not implement plans or changes unless (A) they are thought through all the way, and (B)

red cross

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent co- workers; belief in what the mission of the company does.

Cons

non-profit organization employment stability varies

Charity begans at home i.e your employees

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience at the American Red Cross is challenging. Change and restructure will allow efficiencies.

Current Employee - Coordinator, Collection Staff Timekeeping  in  Lansing, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Coordinator, Collection Staff Timekeeping in Lansing, MI (US)

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time for more than a year

Pros

The American Red Cross is a nation-wide organization known nearly everyone. Assisting in the restructure is rewarding.

Cons

It is difficult to work with some of the negative staff, and those who do not wish for change.

Treat everyone fairly. Compensate employees based on their abilities and what they do not how long they have worked for the organization.

Red Cross

I have been working at American Red Cross

Pros

It's really fun to train and volunteer with ARC.

Cons

I do not have any to list.

None

A great place to work with lots of room for advancement.

I worked at American Red Cross for more than 10 years

Pros

Many different areas to work in. Benefits and retirement are good. Personal accommodations to achieve a good work-life balance.

Cons

Moderate amount of turnover and changes to procedures. High volume and fast paced. Pay scales are a bit on the low end

I am fresher to work with my knowledge for our organization growth

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Oslo (Norway)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Oslo (Norway)

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Yearning good salary ,prove my knowledge as the best as possible,good entertainment and work hard for company growth through enjoy our environment....

Cons

NO words to tell about cons yearning money and extreme growth of our life style is not fall down

Give a chance to me to prove my knowledge for our organization and encourage the knowledge of each job seeker, not based on fresher and experienced one....

Alright place, people can be hit or miss, terrible pay

Former Employee - Disaster Specialist  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Disaster Specialist in New York, NY (US)

I worked at American Red Cross as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Some of the people there are very smart and clearly know what they are doing. There is definitely room to move up because there is a high turnover rate.

Cons

Lower management is just idiotic. There is a lot of office gossip and definitely no personal boundaries.

Hire new people and definitely re-structure. You need some younger faces and views.

I was a volunteer with The American Red Cross for over five year on The Disaster Relief Team.

Former Employee - Volunteer Specialist  in  Lansing, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Volunteer Specialist in Lansing, MI (US)

I worked at American Red Cross as an intern for more than 5 years

Pros

I was able to expand personal knowledge through hands one on one, classes and group trusting those around me volunteering most of all building a relationships ever if your with the clients a short amount of time. I no only gave myself but more so received more from them (the client) whitch I was not expecting. I plan on going back as a Red Cross Volunteer very soon on the sam

Cons

You give of yourself so much emotionally at first an did not expect to not only give psychically but for me most of all in make shift homeless shelters the emotion I experienced. Very little promotion opportunity pay wise. So you still need to have a income outside of The American Red Cross. In doing so I was not able to give all of myself as I would have liked. Even so it is a wonderful learning opertunity to not only give of yourself surprisingly recieve from those who are the clients also.

To continue the training classes less book paper wise more hands on. But what a wonderful company.

Constant layoffs and change. Great mission, great people.

Current Employee - Senior Director  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Mission, people, committed to helping people.

Cons

Donors give money for disasters but not for salaries and buildings. no job security or career development funds.

Turn your volunteers and staff into fund raisers for the fire house. Tell the story better to the American public that we need funds for salaries and presence.

Worked for American Red Cross? Contribute to the Community!