American Red Cross Reviews

Updated 28 October 2014
2.8

American Red Cross President and CEO Gail McGovern
Gail McGovern

Pros
  • Many of the employees are good people who really want to make a difference (in 36 reviews)

• Helping People in disasters, having a company vehicle to take clients to the doctor (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance (it's required that you still check and respond to emails while on PTO) (in 17 reviews)

• I understand they are "non-profit" etc, but that's still not an excuse (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

The incompetant leading the unwilling to do the unnecessary

Current Employee - Disaster Program Manager in Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Disaster Program Manager in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people with many having a selfless attitude
    More informal work environment and dress code
    Make lots of contacts in Emergency Management and local government

Cons

VERY low pay
    VERY long hours with VERY unreasonable expectations
    High turnover, been here less than a year and 4 people have quit out of my office alone
    Executives make 6 figure salaries with bonuses while most of the management level work horses earn closer to 35k so there is a massive pay gap
    No opportunity for advancement and no raises.....ever
    Often times they will hire outside the organization rather than promote their own
    Aside from house fire cases, we only really provide services that arent really needed like handing out water to firefighters
    EXTREMELY disorganized...Ive never ever seen an organization that doesnt even know what vehicles they have or where they are
    They claim to have "service to armed forces" as a primary mission, but charge PTO days for military training, so as a reservist, Im on average 3 days in the hole every year before I even make my PTO days.
    Dont plan on training when you get to your job. Most of us got thrown in with no guidance whatsoever
    Volunteers tend to be self centered and you have to stroke their egos to get them to do anything or they threaten to quit

Stop being greedy, create a pay scale like the federal government, train the people you bring in, have some loyalty to your employees, and be realistic in your expectations

Great Cause, Challenging Workspace

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You feel great at the end of the day when you work for a global cause like the Red Cross. There is never a dull day (if you are doing your job right), and compared to many government or private sector institutions, you can make a difference quickly and get projects rolling without the usual red tape (don't get me wrong - there is still some).

Cons

The best and brightest employees tend to obtain high proft (i.e for profit / competitive jobs). My personal experience was that a lot of staff and big hearts, and even awesome ideas, but often lacked the skill, confidence and work ethic to get the job done. I was also slightly concerned about the overly social portion of the office - chatter doesn't always lead to results. You will be living on a smaller salary when working for a non-profit (which is understandable) - so make sure that you love your job and remind yourself of the great cause behind each project.

Have a backup plan. With recent budget cuts, there is a certain instability within the organization which leads to a "territorial" atmosphere with the inability to solve or settle on project solutions. Also - meetings - these were the most ineffective meetings I ever attended. If you are in a management or influential role, I suggest taking the opportunity to minimize meetings and promote productivity.

Great place to make and impact

Current Employee - Health and Safety
    Current Employee - Health and Safety

I have been working at American Red Cross as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is friendly and wants to work there. I volunteered in a California location. There are always multiple projects going on. There are many people involved who just want to make a difference.

Cons

There does not seem to be much room for growth or working up the ladder for someone who is looking for a full-time, paid position. Red cross benefits a lot from its volunteers/interns and part time workers.

Ok organization

Current Employee - Donor Recruitment Representative in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Donor Recruitment Representative in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is very good for the work involved.

Cons

management need to understand employees are important also

Great place to work when its financially stable

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great variety of people to work with! It's like a second family away from home. Great pay, PTO and benefits. Great mission to work for.

Cons

It's not financially stable as of right now. No balance of work/life.

Great Organization, hard work - you have to be passionate about helping people to be satisfied

Former Employee - Chapter Executive
    Former Employee - Chapter Executive

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At the end of every day, I was proud to do the work I do. PTO policy is fair, but with the light staff it's hard to get off work. With the current restructure, a lot of people are losing their jobs. However, I will say that it is for the right reason. Management doesn't make $$$,$$$ while lower level make nothing. Merit is based on performance

Cons

Pay. A lot of long unpredictable hours, working in a smaller chapter has many challenges with used "hand-me-down" equipment. Put it this way, it's 2014 and 90% of our computers are not wireless.

way too many pointless reports and phone calls. I spend hours completing the same report in a different format. Utilize what tools we do have. However, with the direction the org is heading, I see a lot of that happening. I would like to see more lower level positions and fewer high level positions. Decentralize some of the decision making.

Great Company

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time

Pros

This is a Great company to work for. The fact that each day you could play a major part in saving someone life is Awesome!

Cons

This is a Great company to work for. The fact that each day you could play a major part in saving someone life is Awesome. No Cons to report.

My Years With The American Red Cross

Current Employee - Receptionist in Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have loved working for the American Red Cross. My co-workers have become family to me, and I love the mission of the Red Cross

Cons

I am my own challenge. I expect the best from myself and when I slip I feel like I have let down my Supervisor and the Red Cross. There are no cons working at this wonderful non-profit.

Keep being who you are. You have trained me well, have been patient beyond compare and will always be a part of my heart.

Grant from Federal Government to NJ Workforce and Development

Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator II in Ocean, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator II in Ocean, NJ (US)

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was unemployed and received a grant from the Federal Government to work 6 months at The American Red Cross, Jersey Coast Chapter, Ocean, NJ. Employed in the Development Office. Learned what is involved behind the scenes.
    How much work is accomplished by the many volunteers. This was a temporary position because of Sandy.

Cons

I was sad when my grant ended.

Great mission and overall successful, but always teetering on the edge of dysfunction.

Current Employee - Director in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is an organization that really makes a difference. Provides real value to the community. A good place to advance if you take initiative.

Cons

Always cash poor. History of bad decisions during the last several decades. Reactionary rather than proactive.

Corrective actions during the last couple of decades are too much gimmick, and not enough deep, cultural change. Mandates come from Headquarters but lose their intended effect by the time they are applied to line staff. ARC needs to build an effective bridge between the vision of senior leadership and the multitude who actually perform the work. I recommend building a broad team of liaisons at the supervisor and department lead level (this is the point of cultural traction). Inspire them, provide them training/tools to influence their peers, and commission them to spread the vision(s). I realize this has been done before, but it has not been sustained, monitored and reinforced. It should be like waves on a beach- unceasing. Wave after wave of inspiration, hope, and group identity: Exceptional customer service, efficiency, employee excellence, quality. Deep in every person's heart is a desperate desire to be on a winning team. Make them believe they are the best, and they will be the best.

American Red Cross Photos