American Red Cross

American Red Cross Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

American Red Cross President and CEO Gail McGovern

Gail McGovern

Pros
  • Many of the employees are good people who really want to make a difference(in 21 reviews)

• It was also very good to know that I was helping to save lives every day just by going to work(in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • I understand they are "non-profit" etc, but that's still not an excuse(in 27 reviews)

• Too much upper management that sometimes does not know your job function which creates problems(in 24 reviews)

The American Red Cross used to be a very meaningful place to work

Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsThe best thing was being able to work across multiple counties with really smart, passionate people, doing work that made a real difference in peoples' lives.

ConsThe Bay Area Chapter was reorganized by the National Organization, which dismantled the excellent programs and systems functionally in place. It's been chaos ever since. The reorganization continues, three years later. There is almost no one left with any Red Cross history and knowledge, and the new (mostly young) people hired have little to no experience, and the wheel is reinvented over and over. It is very sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe American Red Cross historically was never about revenue, revenue, revenue. It is not a good thing you have done, and continue to do. I left because I wanted to make a real difference. I did not want to be a salesman.

American Red Cross Talent Acquisition Program Associate responded to this review

Jul 11, 2014

We thank you for your review, and are sorry to hear about your experience. Although our recent restructuring was a difficult decision, it was a necessary move in order to remain viable in the rapidly ... More

I had a great experience learning from some very wonderful people who like to give back to their community.

Disaster Specialist (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

Prosworking with wonderful people every day.

Consbeing away form home for 3 week disaster service leave.

Great Experience

Co Coorindator Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH (US)

ProsEveryone was very helpful the job was a delight.

ConsNot enough hours given to walk in volunteers due to others coming in for court appointed volunteer work.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Red Cross is an amazing place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsFlexible scheduling, upbeat people, feel-good company, great work-life balance, strong values and missions and overall a great experience

Consa lot of changes occurring depending on where you live, its hard to know what jobs will be there and which ones won't

Case Review

Case Reviewer (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

ProsTies to the USA and saving lifes

ConsPerks, values, training and office culture

Jul 11, 2014

We appreciate your review!

Great Mission

Field Office Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsLoved the mission of the Service to the Armed Forces

ConsPoor compensation of salary for demands of the job.

Great place to work for.

Intern (Former Employee)

Pros- Strong team spirit
    - Great passionate people
    - Good training

Cons- Long hours during disaster times

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the benefit.

Great to work for a company with a mission.

Quality Assurance Associate (Current Employee)

ProsIt is so gratifying working for a company that has a mission to help people. I work in the blood services sector, and while it is highly regulated, hearing the stories of the lives that have positively affected and changed as a result of receiving the blood products helps drive what I do. Salary is competitive and the health benefits are very good in comparison with some other companies.

ConsDue to financial concerns the company is consistently downsizing, so there is a concern with job security right now.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more proactive to regulatory requirements & quality standards rather than reactive to FDA observations.

Wonderful Place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsMaking a difference in peoples lives every day. The people are wonderful and work very hard.

ConsA lot of turmoil going on as they make changes to the structure of ARC

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to employees as peers

manage disaster services program in a large chapter

Director (Current Employee) Anchorage, AK (US)

ProsWorking with people dedicated to the same mission of alleviating suffering. The Fundamental Principles are pretty incredible. In general, people are pretty great to work with-- Division level support has been great for the chapters and region. Volunteer-led organization

ConsWe have extremely high turnover in our chapter because of lack of compensation, inability to "climb the ladder," and people simply moving on after gaining skills here.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider a development plan to keep talent growing in the company. A lot of colleagues have left for higher paying jobs with FEMA and State Emergency Management-- we need better compensation, a tighter community to show the Red Cross really is the best place in this field to work. Consider those at chapter and regional levels more when implementing change.

Jul 11, 2014

We thank you for your detailed and constructive review and appreciate your praise for our people, mission, and principles. We agree that in order to retain our employees, they must be fairly ... More

Worked for American Red Cross? Contribute to the Community!