Amgen

Amgen Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Amgen President & CEO Robert A. Bradway

Robert A. Bradway

Pros
  • With many tight deadlines, work life balance is available but not easily obtainable (in 67 reviews)

• It has great benefits in their retirement plan and then have a great matching 401K plan (in 73 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work/life balance and no career development towards their employees (in 17 reviews)

• Culture does not promote decision-making at lower management levels (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Amgen Finance - historically been good career development, future TBD

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

ProsApplies to Finance only: Good performers have been able to rotate jobs every 2-3 years and get promoted on a decent schedule. Relatively informal atmosphere.

Amgen overall: decent pay, good bonus program (really good for Directors & above). 10% 401K matching is nice.

ConsApplies to Finance only: Much harder to get promoted beyond Senior Manager. Only one internal promotion to VP in last 10+ years, rest are external hires. 4 or 5 CFOs in last 7 years.

Amgen overall: definitely in "productivity" mode, CEO even talked about layoffs are likely coming, hard to focus on the real jobs at hand. If you leave near Amgen, you'll likely have to move if you change companies because there are not many other options without a long commute.

Advice to Senior ManagementApplies to Finance only: Need to develop a track to VP internally. How can you have no internal promotions to VP in a company this size?

Amgen overall: Need to weed out the lazy people who just hang on here because they like living in the area. They are taking away opportunities for the up and comers.

Great science company to work for

Principal Engineer (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

ProsGood pay and benefits. It's a great campus to work for.

ConsStrapped to a position. It's difficult to move from within.

Great place to learn and be involved with the overall process

ProsCompensation/benefits are good, used to have great people to work with.

ConsMicro Management and top heavy. Too many EVPs/Directors to name. little to no professional growth possible anymore. Too much bureaucracy, decision making heads, no growth and constant looking over your back

Advice to Senior ManagementTry thinning the herd from the top, not enough people to do the work but way too many who think they should decide who does it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No career advancement

Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

ProsGreat total rewards and compensation.

ConsLittle to no opportunities for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementGive staff a chance to move up.

Contracting-Excellent Work Experience

ProsAmgen is on the cutting edge of technology and business processes. Staff have been very welcoming and don't treat contractors like second class employees .

ConsVery difficult to transition contracting into Full time perm position

Going to be stronger than ever

Executive Director (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

ProsGood science
    Nice campus
    Can't beat the weather

ConsHard to get things done
    Can't trust anyone

Great experience working with some amazing folks!

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

ProsGreat culture - no micro-management! Just accountable for your deliverables!! The PMO was amazing!! learnt a lot of professional PM related methodologies!

ConsYou are just another Contractor! The perm employees get all the benefits!!

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about mopre perm ops?

Graduate Summer Intern

Graduate Summer Intern (Former Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

ProsIncredibly great internship! Well charted out project,truly knowledgeable colleagues and a great work environment.
    - Collaborative work culture
    - Wonderful work/life balance
    - Challenging work
    - Lots to learn

ConsNo specific cons,really. The Thousand Oaks location is huge and that maybe a con for some,if working at a large office campus is not your preference. But overall,great work environment!

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the finest management folks I have ever met. Very open,very supporting,very encouraging! I hope to be as humble and competent as them in my career.

Striving to keep sight of patients and science while accelerating growth in a changing health care world.

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsPeople: Smart, inquiring, caring, committed. You learn something new every day, some of it better than sci-fi.
    Benefits. This company takes care of its own. Support staff like HR, Comp, Payroll give an unbelievable level of individual support for a company this size.
    Cost discipline.

ConsSense of instability: "What's next?" Some staff concerned that the company is trying to move TOO fast...

Advice to Senior ManagementPatients.

Intense atmosphere with excellent benefits

Project Manager (Former Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

ProsThe campus in Thousand Oaks is without question, beautiful and the area a great place to live. The overall benefits are what you would expect from a large corporate employer with added on campus perks. There was a time when Amgen attracted talented people and many are still there, so one is mostly surrounded by smart folks.

ConsThe culture is intense, and that is no understatement. The hierarchy is like no other within the industry, very much a top down organization focused on the bottom line.

Worked for Amgen? Contribute to the Community!