Apple

Apple CEO Tim Cook

Tim Cook

(1,550 ratings)

3,096 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers"
    in 163 reviews
  • "Great benefits, awesome staff, lots of people to pick up shifts if you don't want to work"
    in 158 reviews
Cons:
  • "work life balance and handling any customer issues as well as the long hours"
    in 142 reviews
  • "sometimes long hours because of product launches, but thats the best part of apple"
    in 121 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Paradise of jobs

Product Design Engineer (Current Employee)
Cupertino, CA (US)

I have been working at Apple full-time

ProsApple offers crazy benefits, and competitive salary. By competitive I don't mean a couple grand more in a year, I'm talking about a 2X / 2.5X salary. This place is a sea of knowledge. Never seen a more dedicated group.

ConsWork life balance may be a bit tricky, people work their butts off here and surprisingly, at least for me, I don't ever mind stay a few hours late, because I am treated well and can't go 10 feet without running into something incredible.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost managers I have met are doing an excellent job.

One of the Best Jobs I have ever Had

AppleCare At-Home Technician (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Apple part-time for more than a year

ProsThere are so many benefits that come with this Job. Never have I had a job that provided so much for me. As a college At-Home advisor I was given flexible hours and full benefits when I worked only 20 Hours a week.

ConsThe job is very demanding. The metrics that you have to meet are very competitive. During holidays there is a high demand for overtime

Great security, great corporate culture

Apple Genius (Current Employee)
Cupertino, CA (US)

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood job security, room to grow within company, great coworkers and team members

ConsRetail hours are all over and difficult. Customers can be draining.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to communicate with each other better.

Best Retail Job But It's Still Just a Retail Job

Family Room Specialist (Current Employee)
Glendale, CA (US)

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPlenty of career development opportunities and support. Dedicated time allocated each month for self-guided training.
Benefits are good; many healthcare options, matched 401k contributions, discounted stock options, etc.
Discounts available on Apple and 3rd party products.
Great managers and co-workers (depends on store though). Usually a very positive atmosphere.

ConsIt's a retail job with retail hours and slightly above average retail pay.
Discounts aren't particularly deep and Apple makes a tidy profit from its own employees' purchases.
Compensation doesn't match the skillset and knowledge required. FRS role is a blend of Genius and Creative whilst getting paid the same as a part-time entry-level Specialist.
Specialists who are routinely selling $100k+ of goods per quarter will never earn even $40k annually. You definitely wont be able to afford a mortgage. You'll probably be grateful to afford rent within 5 miles of an Apple store. Just thinking about it will ruin your day.
Apple is no longer allowing employees to specify a preferred weekend day off, so you get to pick a day off Mon-Thurs and hope you don't work all weekend.
You're dealing with the public all day, some of whom have no sense of responsibility (or sense at all).
Too many people fighting for too few higher-paid positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementApple Retail is crucial to Apple's success, yet the compensation does not provide an incentive for talented individuals to stay more than a couple of years before 'real world' opportunities lure them away to enjoy better hours at twice the pay.
Apple talks big about work/life balance but the reality is grim. I'm looking elsewhere so that I can spend more time with my family, and earn enough so we're not living paycheck to paycheck.

Excellent company with great benefits

Education Inside Sales (Current Employee)
Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 5 years

Prosincredible perks, amazing insurance, gym, cafeteria, education benefits

Consmy job has no career path, effectively stuck. New management deeply affecting commissions. Very bad policies of cutting large deals and managing commissions down.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove effective caps and large deal cutting! un-silo our department and share resources from retail.

Interesting work environment but it's not for everybody

Technical Support Agent (Former Employee)
Elk Grove, CA (US)

I worked at Apple as a contractor for less than a year

ProsApple does alot of team building and tries to recognize it's workers in many ways that make for a feel good environment. It's nice they have a cafe inside their offices so you don't have to leave work and drive away to find lunch.

ConsDoesn't tend to pay enough to support a life outside of work. I realize that a company is in business to make money, but workers need to have a the financial ability to have a decent life outside of work. It is also in the best interests of a company like Apple to have employees that can afford a decent vacation once or twice a year. The business model today seems to be a never ending revolving door for contract based employees that are only allowed to stay so long before they must leave for at least six months.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise your pay standards. Imagine trying to support a family on the base you pay your contractors.

Overall good experience, limited mobility inside

Apple Family Room Specialist (Former Employee)
Grand Rapids, MI (US)

I worked at Apple full-time for more than a year

Pros-Excellent Benefits
-Huge team to work alongside with
-Excellent Employee Discounts/Perks
-Great Resume Boost

Cons-Very difficult to receive promotions
-Too many managers for concise communication
-Over promise, under deliver on many conversations (Personal experience not necessarily status quo)
-Sit and spin progress

Advice to Senior Management-Concise communication, smaller management teams
-More opportunities offered for corporate experiences, certifications, and cross team learning (local stores and even international)
-Easier transparency/HR resources for retail staff

You have a chance to work with exceptional people. You can also gain a significant amount of skills.

Inventory Control Specialist (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExceptional people, flexible schedules, competitive compensation

Consgrowth is limited, penalties for workers not performing up to standards are non-existent,

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the workers who genuinely care about the company. Those with a passing interest will not help sustain a healthy working environment.

Great place to grow and meet amazing mentors.

Creative (Apple Store) (Former Employee)
Aventura, FL (US)

I worked at Apple full-time for more than a year

ProsCareer advancement is possible, personal and professional growth programs, good compensation, fast paced.

ConsIt IS one of the busiest places you'll ever work at.

Specialist

Specialist (Former Employee)
Corte Madera, CA (US)

I worked at Apple part-time for less than a year

ProsThey are positive people and believe in treating everyone with respect including their customers. their approach to customer service is great and you rarely be in a position were you are the bad guy. The knowledge and benefits for just part-time employees are great and is the ultimate job to have during college. very easy to change hours and swap shifts.

ConsTraining for new software and devices are always on the go and really never get an understanding of the updates and software changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementDuring busy times management seem to go crazy and lose the positive up beat vibe. I think during these times specialist's and others need them to stay calm. I think sometime there in such a rush to serve the customer they forget about the people that actually deals with them and provides them with the service.

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Apple reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Apple CEO Tim Cook. All 3,096 reviews are posted anonymously by Apple employees.