Apple

Apple CEO Tim Cook

Tim Cook

(1,550 ratings)

3,096 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great benefits package if you're lucky enough to get full-time"
    in 182 reviews
  • "Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers"
    in 177 reviews
Cons:
  • "work life balance and handling any customer issues as well as the long hours"
    in 157 reviews
  • "could be physically tiring due to the long hours of walking and standing on concrete floors"
    in 127 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Specialist

Specialist (Former Employee)
Corte Madera, CA (US)

I worked at Apple part-time for less than a year

ProsThey are positive people and believe in treating everyone with respect including their customers. their approach to customer service is great and you rarely be in a position were you are the bad guy. The knowledge and benefits for just part-time employees are great and is the ultimate job to have during college. very easy to change hours and swap shifts.

ConsTraining for new software and devices are always on the go and really never get an understanding of the updates and software changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementDuring busy times management seem to go crazy and lose the positive up beat vibe. I think during these times specialist's and others need them to stay calm. I think sometime there in such a rush to serve the customer they forget about the people that actually deals with them and provides them with the service.

Great first job

Mac Specialist (Apple Store) (Former Employee)
Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Apple part-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery busy environment, where you get to engage with a diverse group of customers. Benefits are definitely nice for retail. Overall, there is a great internal community and potential for growth.

ConsManagement can be hit or miss, but that is expected in retail.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward and retain those who go above and beyond, and have a deep passion for the company.

An awesome Work at Home opportunity

Tier I Technical Support Advisor (Former Employee)
Columbia City, IN (US)

I worked at Apple part-time for less than a year

ProsLoved the discounts and the people that i worked with there, i would love to work with and hang out with any one of them again.

ConsNot able to get full time hours all the time, (hired in as part time not full time off the jump), and the lack of desire to allow you to help across multiple platforms if you had the knowledge like i did, (laptop and cell/tablet)

Advice to Senior ManagementMy Manager Geoff George was awesome. Nothing to add there.

Fun, but somewhat frustrating.

Tech Support (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apple part-time for more than a year

ProsGood salary. Good benefits. The opportunity to work with decent people. Management, that (so far) is uniformly bright, and pretty easy to work for. Easy going, (in some respects) corporate culture. It is like any job, though, follow the rules, and you will have no problems. The problems start when you don't reach your assigned goals, and metrics. The metrics for At Home Advisors are not overly strict, nor impossible to meet. All you have to do is show up, do the job according to established practices ( and trust me, once you start doing that, it gets a whole lot easier, and your metrics are met......). The company is fun to work for, you get gifts every quarter (nice Apple-branded clothing, high quality commuter cups, and water bottles. Sometimes you get silly things as well, but that's just part of the fun of working there.) The training for At Home Advisors is about 5 or 6 weeks long, and it is kind of tough. It's not impossible, but it's not easy either. The overall atmosphere is fun, and it's fairly easy going as well. Working from home also has the benefit of being away from office gossip, and office politics. In addition there is the employee purchase plan for Apple devices, and, all kinds of discounts on other stuff as well. Apple builds their support around "empathy", and building a relationship with the customer, so they feel as if they are getting personal service from you. It's a good thing, too. I have done tech support in the past, both face-to-face and over the phone. Apples formula for doing things, while hard to get used to for the cynical, is really an effective way of dealing with customers. There is also plenty of opportunity to advance, and move into a full time gig. Also, your manager is their to support you. All of the managers I have had, have been involved, encouraging, and supportive, but there is no "hand holding". You are expected to take what you have learned, and help customers. Now, don't mistake that as meaning you are on your own with no support. Quite the opposite. There is tons of support, but once something is given to you to do, you are expected to complete it, or accomplish it in the agreed upon way. There are no excuses. Your manager is there to support you, help you sharpen your skills, and give you some best practices. All of my managers came up through Tech Support, going from Tier 1 to Tier 2, and then moving in to Team Managers. They have been there, they know how it works, and their knowledge is what will help you get to the next level.

ConsConstant Team Leader changes. I am now on my 4th team manager in 18 months, all of them have been good so far, but, it does get a bit old Hours and scheduling can be a bit crazy, you have to bid your shifts properly, so you get what you want. One day per weekend is required, and that is your 8 hour day. You are generally kept at 20 hours a week. If you take the benefits, (in my case it's for my entire family) anywhere from 25%-50% of your paycheck is gone. Benefits, however, are good. Customers... oh, the customers.... They can be draining.. Some of them are literally emotionally involved with their device. I kid you not. I have had customers crying because their Apple product is broken, and not working. Many of the customer, in fact, the majority of them, are intelligent, and given to following instructions. But, as with any other call center job, there will always be the difficult ones.

I wish I could have moved into my office

Full-stack Developer (Former Employee)
Mountain View, CA (US)

I worked at Apple as a contractor for less than a year

Pros- Everything you've heard about Apple; easygoing and supportive culture mixed with technical awesomeness.
- YMMV, but my particular manager was very smart and supportive in his own way.
- Free apples
- Good restaurant at ridiculously low prices
- Commuter buses from SF
- Everyone was pretty much guaranteed to be at or near the top of their game, somehow this led to a pleasant environment where you were not questioned, but simply allowed the full range of motion in order to succeed. In other words, the opposite of micromanagement.

Cons- I got there too late to work in the same company as Steve Jobs

Advice to Senior ManagementIntranet resources are valuable but scattered, consider making them all easy to find.

Good

I have been working at Apple

ProsVery good company good work and you get paid for what you do

Consnone i can find yze

Great company

Genuis Administrative (Former Employee)
San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat company, takes care of their employes, great retirement plans

Conslong hours, not too much work/life balance. experience depends on your manager

experience is highly team dependent

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Palmdale, CA (US)

I have been working at Apple as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat company to work with. the company has a great atmosphere and my co-workers are friendly and understanding. apple promotes teamwork and creativity.

Consthere are no cons because this is a good place to work at, there are no there are no cons

And the extroverts shall inherit the earth...

Mac Genius (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPlenty of room to move around, but like one of managers once told me, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Things vary greatly from store to store, and I've had the benefit of working with caring, creative, gifted people.

Cons"Ambiguity," as they call it. Constantly inundated with peoples troubles every time their iPhone does something unexpected. Not knowing what you'll be doing on any given day until seconds before you clock in. You're telling people bad news. Not all of them are going to take it so well.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo some, talk less and listen more. To all, observe, observe, observe. Then act on those observations.

It's Retail, after all

Creative (Apple Store) (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat, innovative company. Exciting and leading-edge products and services.

ConsApple is built on the shoulders of the little people...who are trampled in the mud.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn a thing or two about technology. You're not folding blue jeans any more.

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Apple reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Apple CEO Tim Cook. All 3,096 reviews are posted anonymously by Apple employees.