Apple

4,077 Reviews

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
2,253 Ratings

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 246 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 215 reviews)

Cons
  • Time off needs to be requested well in advance making work/life balance a challenge (in 252 reviews)

• Work can be very demanding with long hours depending on the group you are in (in 151 reviews)

More Highlights

A great place to work, but you have to be strong

Former Employee - Engineering Project Manager in Cupertino, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Engineering Project Manager in Cupertino, CA (US)

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastic technical challenges, brilliant people, complex and important problems to be solved. The benefits are great, of course, and the prestige both during the time you work there and even afterwards on your resume are significant benefits. If you like serious intellectual challenges, and the opportunity to do something that makes a difference in the world, this is the place for you. I think the compensation was very fair compared to other companies, and those people who really are rock stars really get very well compensated.

Cons

The culture (in engineering) is a tough one, hard on people who aren't at the top of their game. I think that Apple actually is a pretty high integrity place in general, but in my experience there certainly used to be a very strong political nature. This is always true in any organization with a lot of people, of course, but at Apple there was a certain sloppiness about allowing bad managers without a strategic plan to continue to survive and do damage far too long just because they were good at making their bosses feel good. Maybe this was just the case in the group where I worked. Maybe this has changed since Tim Cook has taken over.

Find more ways to actually measure the quality of the managers. Do more evaluation of the value and worth of the managers as seen by the people reporting to them. This is for two reasons 1) It helps upper levels recognize managers who are hated by their people 2) It helps upper levels recognize managers who are adored by their people. There have been cases where managers were fired even though their people thought they were great, and the groups then fall apart completely. There have been cases where the managers were completely hideous but were great at managing up, so their people were tortured for ages. Of course, the bottom line is that productivity suffered badly in both cases.

At home advisor

Former Employee - Apple At Home Advisor in Quantico, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Apple At Home Advisor in Quantico, VA (US)

I worked at Apple

Pros

The coworkers were the best. Training was engaging and positive energy consistently flowed throughout. Awesome medical benefits and great employee discounts.

Cons

Mandatory overtime hours, tons of training modules to cover. Must be a fan and owner of Apple products to understand the complexity of troubleshooting these products.

Managment selescted the right people to conduct their training. My particular trainer was outgoing, engaging and was extremely passionate about Apple. You don't see this often in employees. Good job in picking that one!

An amazing experience

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Cupertino, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Cupertino, CA (US)

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I got to work with some of the smartest people in the world on really tough problems, and got to really contribute; my work shipped in an identifiable way - which in such a large company was an amazing thing. The energy of working at Apple was addictive, not to mention the fact that everyone (family, friends) were in awe of you working there.

I briefly worked at Google after leaving Apple, and my god, it was a stark difference. At Apple everyone focused on product; everyone knew that what they did made a difference and poured their hearts and souls into every day there. At google... not so much. Projects were cancelled regularly and people just didn't care; whether your product shipped or not, Google still got paid from advertising, so hey - why bother sweating it?

Cons

There was a LOT of work, but I was absolutely happy to do it. Brainwashing? Not really, more just making the most of the opportunity in front of me. Opportunities like this don't come around every day.

When I started, it was very management light. We got to move incredibly fast and make decisions mostly ourselves. By the time I left there were layers upon layers of program managers and the hiring bar was noticeably lower. That tends to spoil things for everyone.

New projects at apple feel like startups with unlimited resources and no investors to pander to... ie, spectacular... but after a few years of success, the structure calcifies and though it's still a good job, it's not the same rush.

Compensation (RSUs etc) was great at the start, but kept going down every year whilst the company made more and more money; this just felt wrong when you were working 70+ hours a week.

You really need a super-clueful CTO who isn't involved in the politics - someone who can cut through the crap and ensure your VPs aren't outmaneuvering you. You effectively had one, but sadly he is no longer with us.

Great place

Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Edison, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Edison, NJ (US)

I worked at Apple part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place. Great people. Great store.

Cons

None here, other than the lack of benefits for being "part-time" but working 40+ hours per week.

Wish they would create more full time opportunities and not take advantage of part time employees.

Fun place to work in , everyday is a challenge.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA (US)

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Food,atmosphere and CODING!.We get free time everyday to go out and take a break

Cons

Life at apple is full of stress, teams are always competitive for better performance

Reason I left

Former Employee - Technician At Genius Bar in Tacoma, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Technician At Genius Bar in Tacoma, WA (US)

I worked at Apple part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits for full time and part time enployees are the best I have ever seen.
    Hourly pay is above average for retail companies.
    Time goes by fast

Cons

Stressful, many hours needed to be available in your schedule.
    Very hard to get a day off for students during the holiday season.

Hire more employees so they can cover each other shifts. (Part time)

Good work environment, decent pay for retail

Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in The Woodlands, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in The Woodlands, TX (US)

I worked at Apple part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun and upbeat working environment
    Good opportunity for advancement
    Resources for self-learning and personal growth
    Good company culture
    25% discount on most Apple brand items

Cons

Promotions can be based on favoritism
    Managers and employees continue to work there after their passion is gone
    Strict attendance policy with no exceptions allowed (seen lots of good employees fired)
    Steve Jobs no longer CEO

If one of your top salespeople has poor attendance due to circumstances outside their control, see if any exceptions or changes can be made to keep good employees.

concierge

Former Employee - Concierge in Pasadena, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Concierge in Pasadena, CA (US)

I worked at Apple

Pros

So many benefits. Parking, transportation, stock options, and now health.

Cons

demanding customers that are eroding the companies core values little by little.

Don't hire outside people to be managers that come from Best Buy, Circuit City, Radio Shack, because they start using their selling "tactics" on customers that come to apple.

Amazing Family of Coworkers

Current Employee - Allocation Execution Specialist in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Allocation Execution Specialist in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Apple as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The best part of this job are the people. Our group is so dynamic, comes from all walks of life and yet cohesively works together to get things accomplished. We are the touch point that ensures orders are no longer an intangible number in the system, but a tangible product on it's way to the customer. Whether dealing with online orders or orders for big box retailers, we make it happen.

Cons

The job requires dealing with a lot of numbers and you need to have a keen eye for detail.

Apple was the best company I have ever worked for in my entire life.

Former Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in Towson, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in Towson, MD (US)

I worked at Apple

Pros

The freedom to be your genuine self, the comfortable atmosphere, great benefits/discounts, and the people you work with are so amazing.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say.

Try to find a way to promote people who really want it, not somebody who is just your favorite.