Apple

4,000 Reviews

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
2,210 Ratings

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 246 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 215 reviews)

Cons
  • Time off needs to be requested well in advance making work/life balance a challenge (in 252 reviews)

• Work can be very demanding with long hours depending on the group you are in (in 151 reviews)

More Highlights

An amazing experience

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Cupertino, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Cupertino, CA (US)

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I got to work with some of the smartest people in the world on really tough problems, and got to really contribute; my work shipped in an identifiable way - which in such a large company was an amazing thing. The energy of working at Apple was addictive, not to mention the fact that everyone (family, friends) were in awe of you working there.

I briefly worked at Google after leaving Apple, and my god, it was a stark difference. At Apple everyone focused on product; everyone knew that what they did made a difference and poured their hearts and souls into every day there. At google... not so much. Projects were cancelled regularly and people just didn't care; whether your product shipped or not, Google still got paid from advertising, so hey - why bother sweating it?

Cons

There was a LOT of work, but I was absolutely happy to do it. Brainwashing? Not really, more just making the most of the opportunity in front of me. Opportunities like this don't come around every day.

When I started, it was very management light. We got to move incredibly fast and make decisions mostly ourselves. By the time I left there were layers upon layers of program managers and the hiring bar was noticeably lower. That tends to spoil things for everyone.

New projects at apple feel like startups with unlimited resources and no investors to pander to... ie, spectacular... but after a few years of success, the structure calcifies and though it's still a good job, it's not the same rush.

Compensation (RSUs etc) was great at the start, but kept going down every year whilst the company made more and more money; this just felt wrong when you were working 70+ hours a week.

You really need a super-clueful CTO who isn't involved in the politics - someone who can cut through the crap and ensure your VPs aren't outmaneuvering you. You effectively had one, but sadly he is no longer with us.

Amazing work, terrible work life balance

Former Employee - Manufacturing Intern in Cupertino, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Intern in Cupertino, CA (US)

I worked at Apple as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

As an intern I had the opportunity to work on projects I did not think I would be permitted to anywhere else. The trust that was placed in me as an intern to execute on a critical project definitely allowed me to grow immensely through the experience

Cons

Terribly demanding work. I was working 60 - 80 hours a week and between late night work calls, and unreasonable deadlines I found myself quite exhausted by the end of the experience. It varies from team to team but while other interns were enjoying the California weather an experiencing the area I was consistently working 10 - 12 hours a day.

Everyone that works there is very smart and efficient. Just hire more people. Teams are TOO lean and that is the main reason why most people leave after a couple of years.

Great people and products.

Current Employee - At-Home Advisor in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - At-Home Advisor in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have amazing benefits and are very understanding if things come up. They hold their products high and expect the customers to get top quality help. There is a lot of metrics to adhere to, but the customer is always the top priority.

Cons

Promotions don't really make sense. They aren't necessarily looking for the best talent to promote first, but they do have opportunities for advancement.

Please look at those with more experience and good metrics and help them to get promoted especially if their peers are getting moved up with less experience and metrics.

Great company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is my dream job, couldn't even imagine anything better.

Cons

There are no cons and I don't think there will be any

Great place

Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Edison, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Edison, NJ (US)

I worked at Apple part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place. Great people. Great store.

Cons

None here, other than the lack of benefits for being "part-time" but working 40+ hours per week.

Wish they would create more full time opportunities and not take advantage of part time employees.

Payment Specialist

Former Employee - Payment Specialist in Cork (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Payment Specialist in Cork (Ireland)

I worked at Apple full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fantastic atmosphere, good culture, interesting people, challenging work

Cons

No Cons, seriously. Positive work place

And amazing place to work with good pay and good benefits

Current Employee - Redzone Specialist
    Current Employee - Redzone Specialist

I have been working at Apple part-time (less than an year)

Pros

great team with many awesome products which makes it exciting typical day at work consists of managing the flow of repairs. Communicating with customers about their repair status.
    Thus far I have learned the paradigm of Apples' customer service while obtaining a deeper understanding of the management style.
    The hardest part of the job is delivering difficult news to customers about repairs or the status of their device.
    I most enjoy interacting with customers. Teaching someone something new about their personal equipment is quite rewarding

Cons

lack of promotion, senior management can vary

Good work environment, decent pay for retail

Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in The Woodlands, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in The Woodlands, TX (US)

I worked at Apple part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun and upbeat working environment
    Good opportunity for advancement
    Resources for self-learning and personal growth
    Good company culture
    25% discount on most Apple brand items

Cons

Promotions can be based on favoritism
    Managers and employees continue to work there after their passion is gone
    Strict attendance policy with no exceptions allowed (seen lots of good employees fired)
    Steve Jobs no longer CEO

If one of your top salespeople has poor attendance due to circumstances outside their control, see if any exceptions or changes can be made to keep good employees.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Pasadena, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Pasadena, CA (US)

I worked at Apple part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Was able to explore my interests with different positions in the store, able to hold a variety of roles

Cons

Definite responsibility cap if you are only part time, had to work holidays

Continue your great work!

Work experience

I worked at Apple as a contractor

Pros

Awesome company, great working environment with lots of opportunity to interact and receive feedback from colleagues as well as higher ups. Collegiality was the rule rather than the exception. They seemed to understand

Cons

My tenure was short term because of certain personal situation that had nothing to do with the company but necessitated my moving on. I would return in an instant if given another chance and the situation in my personal allows for it. Nothing negative to consider, it was a great place to work.