Apple

4,267 Reviews

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
2,377 Ratings

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 246 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 215 reviews)

Cons
  • Time off needs to be requested well in advance making work/life balance a challenge (in 252 reviews)

• Work can be very demanding with long hours depending on the group you are in (in 151 reviews)

More Highlights

Company genuinely cares about you!

Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Stamford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Stamford, CT (US)

I worked at Apple full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Great benefits
    - great work environment
    - great salary (especially for retail)
    - lots of peer support
    - lots of management support
    - lots of learning experiences and resources
    - opportunity for advancement
    - opportunities for "career experiences" in corporate roles, for retail staff (underutilized, apparently. go for it!)
    - you become really good friends with your peer group, or maybe even family!
    - Amazing sense of belonging and community
    - great stepping stone to new career, if that is your choice

Cons

- Too much "drinking the kool aid". WAY too much. I hope this is an apt metaphor: Imagine you have an 8oz cup in your hand. They pour a 64oz pitcher of Kool-Aid into your 8oz. cup. Then they pour a pitcher of sugar into the same cup. You get diabetes. The amount of company propaganda is absolutely astounding and excessive to point of being absolutely ridiculous, wherein you feel like a caricature of yourself wearing this blue shirt. This is coming from me, a lifelong Apple fan since 1987 (the year I started using computers).
    - FAR too much bashing of anything that isn't Apple. Apple has now decided as a company, to compare itself to Samsung and Google, etc etc. It used to decide not to compare itself to anybody. This shows everywhere from development to retail attitudes.
    - Willing isolation from and ignorance of the rest of the world of technology. Apple exists in a bubble, and those within the bubble are blissfully unaware that any other technology is relevant and useful. I heard one employee say that Microsoft Office is going the way of the dinosaurs. Nobody called him out on this. What dream world is he living in Isn't it better to learn Apple's technology in a way that helps it workably coexist with other technology? This is equally as important as learning the Apple ecosystem, which, yes, in itself is amazing.
    - Training is too general, not specific enough to help sharpen one's technical skill set on a consistent basis.
    - No ongoing training program to keep your technical skills sharp and up to date. Instead, they offer "Pathways", which is meant to improve your social skills. Great! But isn't that why they hired us to begin with? You have to search Apple's technical reporting system for relevant known issues, which is fine but if you don't (and a lot of techs don't) you usually find out what those are when a customer has a problem and you don't know the answer. One person who happened to look at iDesk might know the answer, but if they're not available, you may end up giving the customer the wrong solution. The signal to noise ratio of important, specific information is a total mess.
    - "I can't believe they re-arranged the lockers. I'm thinking about quitting now." Everyone joins in agreement. Really, guys? C'mon. Again, as I mentioned in my point about the Apple "bubble", the perception of reality can be largely distorted. Management has to work REALLY REALLY hard to bend over backwards for every little thing. So how much energy do they have left over to make sure their techs are up to date, or that sales staff knows their specs and has good ways of explaining tech to non-tech people? Apple is very big on managing expectations for customers (great, actually!) but could do a lot better to manage expectations for employees. Maybe this would improve management's time and ability to fix some more important issues.
    - Far too many points of contact for customers. A customer may end up talking to between 4 and 8 different people who may end up telling them lots of conflicting things. Either communication needs to improve in the store or the number of contact points needs to decrease somehow.

My feedback section was long, I realize, but it's because I genuinely care about Apple as a company and would love to see things improve in real, tangible ways where the signal to noise ratio is considered for retail as much as it is considered for its products and services!

Consider and analyze the cons I wrote above and communicate them with your market leaders! How successful IS Pathways, really, for example? Everything has to be given a chance to work, of course, but I think maybe corporate doesn't get enough constructive feedback from its retail stores for fear of being perceived as not having put enough effort into making these things work.

Regardless, I loved working for Apple and would absolutely return given the need and/or opportunity.

One of the best Silicon Valleys at present

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA (US)

I have been working at Apple full-time

Pros

Apple currently offers competitive salaries and benefits, interesting projects, smart colleagues and a comfortable workplace.

Of note is Apple's contribution to the 401(k) plan. For the first two years, the maximum matching contribution is 3%, but increases to 4.5% after two years of tenure and to 6% after fives years of tenure. Other employers such as Oracle and (before the Oracle acquisition) Sun offered only a 3% maximum matching contribution. And the Apple matching contribution vests immediately, unlike for example HP where the matching contribution vests only after three long years; incredibly, HP will confiscate its matching contribution if you leave HP for any reason prior to three years. Apple won't.

Also, Apple's medical insurance is top-notch, easily besting for example the medical insurance of HP. With HP's lowest-deductible health plan, a $3,000 MRI will cost you $750 out of pocket ($500 deductible plus 10% of $3,000 less the $500 deductible) whereas with Apple the MRI will cost you nothing out of pocket. Apple's medical insurance is among the best that I've seen in Silicon Valley, and rivals that of Oracle and Sun.

Cons

My only complaint is that Apple is hiring so rapidly into my department that we all have to share an office with another employee. Perhaps when we move to the new "spaceship" campus I'll get a private office.

Keep doing what you're doing.

They really have a balanced approach to taking care of employees

Former Employee - Apple At Home Advisor
    Former Employee - Apple At Home Advisor

I worked at Apple part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Training was awesome, the team members really work together. The training is ongoing and the job can really be satisfying. The convenience and the benefits are great as well

Cons

Business requires a flex schedule. The schedule may change at any time and the hours can vary as well as the days.

Excellence is your daily bottom-line

Current Employee - Apple Retail - Expert in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Apple Retail - Expert in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A remarkable group of people, of all walks of life, all age groups, ethnicities, education and experience work together very hard, every day. The real challenge is to stay true to yourself -- the very reason why you were hired -- while polishing your knowledge and developing a broader emotional intelligence. The structure built in to insure you do great is there. You need to ask if you need help, stay put, never give up, strive to better yourself, because the company will be there to support you. Choose your mentors, become a mentor to others. Make sure you stay generous of your talent, give something back in return for what you receive, every day.

Cons

Ever-changing schedules can be hard to combine with a very full family life, or a full-time student load. There is a great career development path, but it must be fulfilling a business need relevant to the retail location where you work. Fast-track-style careerists may get frustrated.

Regularly-scheduled time off the sales floor to access those learning experiences, complete a certification etc.

This is the place to be if you care about user experience.

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best colleagues in the business. This is a great opportunity to work with some really fantastic, dedicated people, who genuinely want to use technology to make the world a better place.

Cons

Sometimes there can be bureaucracy and management sometimes does not listen to the opinions of the rank and file. When crunch time hits, it can be all-consuming.

Fun if you follow the rules

Former Employee - Genius Administrator in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Genius Administrator in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great culture, wherever you go you will gain a family

Cons

hard to move up if youre not liked

be open minded, stop micromanaging

Best job ever

Current Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Apple part-time (less than a year)

Pros

It couldn't be a better company

Cons

So far, I've had no problems.

They do a good job being available.

Excellent Employer

I have been working at Apple

Pros

Good work environment. Excellent collegues

Cons

I don't see anything wrong to mention here.

Most Comprehensive Training and Development

Current Employee - Applecare At Home Advisor in Cape Colony, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Applecare At Home Advisor in Cape Colony, NC (US)

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Apple ensures all of their employees develop in leadership, business, and technological mindset.

Cons

Not enough time in the day to learn and do ...

Continue to embrace all employees by applauding and recognizing their accomplishments. Continue to push us into the stars and leaders we are all called to be.

Learn for life

I have been working at Apple

Pros

Best place to work for

Cons

Too long commute time from SF