Apple Reviews in Toronto, ON

3,789 Reviews

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
2,060 Ratings

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 238 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 204 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance and handling any customer issues as well as the long hours (in 233 reviews)

• could be physically tiring due to the long hours of walking and standing on concrete floors (in 143 reviews)

More Highlights

22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Cautiously Wonderful

Former Employee - Administrative Specialist  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Administrative Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You'll meet fantastic people with creative energy and fair compensation.

Cons

Learn to pat yourself on back as Leaders will often overlook your good work.

Learn to appreciate every employees hard work, and not just the ones who propel you towards a bonus. We didn't come here for that. We came for a different experience. Challenge. Be unique and innovate with the rest of the company.

WHAT'S IT LIKE WORKING AT AN APPLE RETAIL STORE : 2014 EDITION

Current Employee - Specialist  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

* STOCK PLAN + BENEFITS IS GREAT ( PROBABLY THE BEST THING ABOUT BEING EMPLOYED THERE )
    * PAY IS BETTER THAN OTHER RETAIL JOBS OUT THERE
    * PEOPLE YOU WORK WITH ARE ACTUALLY DECENT, KNOWLEDGEABLE & HARDWORKING PEOPLE
    * YOU WILL LEARN ALOT OF TECHNICAL INFORMATION ABOUT COMPUTERS, IPHONES, ETC

Cons

I've been working for Apple Retail for a very long time and everything sure has changed ; NIGHT AND DAY differences from back then.

Since the earlier days, it was all about enriching lives. Taking the time, making sure the customer had all the attention you can give them without being rushed into your next appointment . Nowadays, its all about enriching their pocketbooks and numbers ! Here are the core CONS that you will encounter ; Let me break it down :

• A billion dollar company that LOVES to have short staffing. Apple refuses to put enough people on the sales floor. Ive seen frustrated customers wait impatiently for someone to help them purchase a computer yet THERE'S NO SALES PEOPLE TO HELP and they storm out of the store pissed off instead !! Yup ! There goes that sale ! Way to go APPLE !!!!!

• Everyone wears blue shirts . Its hard to distinguish who the technicians are and who the sales people are . a unified color of the shirt simply means EVERYONE IS EXPECTED TO PRETTY MUCH DO EVERYTHING no matter what position you have. Job Description ? There is NO SUCH A THING IN APPLE RETAIL . ( read on )

* GENIUS BAR / FAMILY ROOM ( aka the technical support area ) is all about NUMBERS. You are put on a queue where you are seen by a technician. You basically have 10-15 minutes with this customer and YOU MUST MOVE ON TO THE NEXT. Most stores require you to have an appointment booked ahead of time, and recently, its become standardized that ALL APPOINTMENTS MUST BE TAKEN. The genius bar is now cleverly crafted with new stations that ' get you started ' . No appointments ? sure just sit down and a technician will take a look and see if they can do the task for you. This basically allows more traffic to come through and more appointments to be taken. ( btw management WE'RE NOT STUPID !!! ) Work has been quadrupled to the point you are running around with your head about to fall off ! This department would work so well but the management will not put enough people to help out throughout the day ! The worst part about being in this department is breaks and lunches are always never taken on time !!!! You will basically end up hating your co workers for taking too long in their interactions or for them to refuse to help out because they are doing computer repairs. It just flat out SUCKS . This is the worst level of stress you will receive in the store . There's not a day I come home from work, not only physically exhausted but MENTALLY abused from all the things you go throughout the day ! l

* THE CREATIVE STUDIO ( aka one to one training ) will test your PATIENCE .

You will teach 70-80 year old customers who just purchased a computer and will end up coming back for repeated sessions for the next couple of weeks because they cant remember their passwords !

If you are extremely patient, well good luck cuz you're going to need it real badly when you're in this role !!!! Id say a good 10% of the sessions you will get are actual decent individuals who can grasp and learn what you teach, the other 90% will just be useless people who are just basically wasting their time ( AND YOURS IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT ) .

* The customers, especially the pissed off ones,can be a handful. Be prepared for an earful. Most are nice but majority are prissy, stuck up people who will EXPECT you to bend over and squeeze them in to have their iphone fixed ahead of everyone else. This would only be alleviated if the company actually put more people on the sales floor/ technical support areas so that the employees wouldn't get stuck in escalations

It is August 2014 and from my point of view ; Apple Retail has changed drastically . its not the same fun place I remember it used to be . If you think im bullshitting ; I've witnessed about 8 people from the genius bar resign over the past few months , and that says alot where the company is heading !

Quality in the service is disappearing, FAST. Its all about Q U A N T I T Y folks !!!!!!!!!

Quantity of how many appointments employees can take + Less Staffing = HUGE BONUSES FOR MANAGERS

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU THINK TWICE ABOUT WORKING FOR APPLE RETAIL ..ESPECIALLY NOWADAYS?

Consider yourself warned.

I'm already looking for a way out . its just a matter of time.

Your employees are not idiots . Limiting the amount of staff per shift may give you guys bonuses/raises/incentives/etc --- but be advised that you will continue to lose more quality workers as this continues to go on.

Soon, I will be one of them .

You have no idea what we go through to make your stupid numbers and queues meet.

Apple retail is a nice job to have if you have your own side business. Don't even think about move up to corporate

Current Employee - Family Room Specialist  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Family Room Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than a year

Pros

Meeting a lot of cool people.

Cons

Too many talented employers but too many less intelligent managers. I mean it.

to who? to Tim Cook? I like him but I want Steve back. Please bring him back to us.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of possibilities

Current Employee - Genius  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Genius in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Apple full-time for less than a year

Pros

The best part about working for apple is its People and culture

Cons

The worst part is working Retail hours and weekends

Inventory Specialist

Current Employee - Inventory Specialist  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There is always something new happening at Apple, whether it is a new product launch or some other new process/initiatives, so the work is always interesting. Since they hiring process is very thorough most of the employees that do get hired are great people to work with. And while some would disagree I would consider the compensation an benefits to be very competitive.

Cons

There are very limited avenues for career progression, especially for those not interested in becoming a store manager. Managers have the ability to make exceptions for customers that you rarely get the same answer from different managers as they all are just making decisions on the fly as there is very little structure to their decision making. Sometimes there is too much focus of having the "Apple" attitude that those who do get the majority of the work done are seen as under performing as they aren't being "Apple" enough.

There needs to be more opportunities for people to build careers where they aren't stuck in the same position for 5+ years or else they will just keep leaving once they finally realize there is nowhere for them to go.

Great Place - Great people

Former Employee - Specialist  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Apple part-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome group of people. lots of talent. family oriented.

Cons

Gets too busy. can get stressful and overwhelming during busy seasons

Keep up the great work

Bittersweet, hard to maintain work life balance

Former Employee - Family Room Specialist  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Apple part-time for more than a year

Pros

Product discounts. Candidates hired tend to be very Smart

Cons

Lack of employer empathy towards subordinates

Employes need more reasons to stay with be company

Its ok

Current Employee - Mac Genius  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Mac Genius in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay when you reach top

Cons

Glass ceilings the limit. Once you get there... thats it

Mix of positive and negative - position is

Current Employee - Apple Solutions Consultant  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Apple Solutions Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible(ish) hours; decent salary + commission structure; pride in getting to say you work for Apple; decent employee discount for personal and friends/family; relative freedom in this position as you work largely on your own.

Cons

Have to work weekends all the time; management doesn't truly listen to concerns about traffic and general business, they just want more sales and don't care how you get them; if store traffic is down so is your commission (generally);

Stop forcing ASCs to treat their role as if it's their own business - they have no control over most of what happens in the retail store they are placed in (Best Buy or Future Shop) and are little more than glorified trainers/sub-managers. Listen to your employees when they talk about traffic, demographics and other concerns - don't just brush it off saying it's the same everywhere. Guess what? It's not.

Not even an iPod shuffle

Former Employee - Genius Administrative  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Genius Administrative in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Apple full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Amazing People
    -Great for resume
    -Keeps you on your toes
    -Always in the know of new technology

Cons

-Company and Management do not care about you
    -Small space, alot of people
    -No incentives

Try to learn about the technology...don't be afraid of the floor..come out if the office.

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!