Apple

4,003 Reviews

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
2,212 Ratings

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 246 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 215 reviews)

Cons
  • Time off needs to be requested well in advance making work/life balance a challenge (in 252 reviews)

• Work can be very demanding with long hours depending on the group you are in (in 151 reviews)

More Highlights

24 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I loved a lot of things about Apple, but at the end of the day it was just another retail job.

Former Employee - Red Zone Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Red Zone Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Apple part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people you work with are fun, kooky, and the real beauty behind the work. You learn a lot and are exposed to what retail can be in a luxury style environment. There's no commission for this job and lots of encouragement and resources to expand your customer service skills.

Cons

There is a LOT of favoritism among managers, and from what I saw it wasn't performance based, but rather how well you could kiss butt. This was just at a store level but I know there was lots of frustrations in management at my store, because of a lack of support for them, so it was a very rocky road for some.

To upper retail management: support the managers. To store management: those that ask for responsibility and are not trying to kiss your butt still deserve consideration.

summary

Former Employee - Associaste in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Associaste in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Apple as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

free computers and other stuff

Cons

tshirts are way too tight

Cautiously Wonderful

Former Employee - Administrative Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Administrative Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You'll meet fantastic people with creative energy and fair compensation.

Cons

Learn to pat yourself on back as Leaders will often overlook your good work.

Learn to appreciate every employees hard work, and not just the ones who propel you towards a bonus. We didn't come here for that. We came for a different experience. Challenge. Be unique and innovate with the rest of the company.

WHAT'S IT LIKE WORKING AT AN APPLE RETAIL STORE : 2014 EDITION

Current Employee - Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

* STOCK PLAN + BENEFITS IS GREAT ( PROBABLY THE BEST THING ABOUT BEING EMPLOYED THERE )
    * PAY IS BETTER THAN OTHER RETAIL JOBS OUT THERE
    * PEOPLE YOU WORK WITH ARE ACTUALLY DECENT, KNOWLEDGEABLE & HARDWORKING PEOPLE
    * YOU WILL LEARN ALOT OF TECHNICAL INFORMATION ABOUT COMPUTERS, IPHONES, ETC

Cons

I've been working for Apple Retail for a very long time and everything sure has changed ; NIGHT AND DAY differences from back then.

Since the earlier days, it was all about enriching lives. Taking the time, making sure the customer had all the attention you can give them without being rushed into your next appointment . Nowadays, its all about enriching their pocketbooks and numbers ! Here are the core CONS that you will encounter ; Let me break it down :

• A billion dollar company that LOVES to have short staffing. Apple refuses to put enough people on the sales floor. Ive seen frustrated customers wait impatiently for someone to help them purchase a computer yet THERE'S NO SALES PEOPLE TO HELP and they storm out of the store pissed off instead !! Yup ! There goes that sale ! Way to go APPLE !!!!!

• Everyone wears blue shirts . Its hard to distinguish who the technicians are and who the sales people are . a unified color of the shirt simply means EVERYONE IS EXPECTED TO PRETTY MUCH DO EVERYTHING no matter what position you have. Job Description ? There is NO SUCH A THING IN APPLE RETAIL . ( read on )

* GENIUS BAR / FAMILY ROOM ( aka the technical support area ) is all about NUMBERS. You are put on a queue where you are seen by a technician. You basically have 10-15 minutes with this customer and YOU MUST MOVE ON TO THE NEXT. Most stores require you to have an appointment booked ahead of time, and recently, its become standardized that ALL APPOINTMENTS MUST BE TAKEN. The genius bar is now cleverly crafted with new stations that ' get you started ' . No appointments ? sure just sit down and a technician will take a look and see if they can do the task for you. This basically allows more traffic to come through and more appointments to be taken. ( btw management WE'RE NOT STUPID !!! ) Work has been quadrupled to the point you are running around with your head about to fall off ! This department would work so well but the management will not put enough people to help out throughout the day ! The worst part about being in this department is breaks and lunches are always never taken on time !!!! You will basically end up hating your co workers for taking too long in their interactions or for them to refuse to help out because they are doing computer repairs. It just flat out SUCKS . This is the worst level of stress you will receive in the store . There's not a day I come home from work, not only physically exhausted but MENTALLY abused from all the things you go throughout the day ! l

* THE CREATIVE STUDIO ( aka one to one training ) will test your PATIENCE .

You will teach 70-80 year old customers who just purchased a computer and will end up coming back for repeated sessions for the next couple of weeks because they cant remember their passwords !

If you are extremely patient, well good luck cuz you're going to need it real badly when you're in this role !!!! Id say a good 10% of the sessions you will get are actual decent individuals who can grasp and learn what you teach, the other 90% will just be useless people who are just basically wasting their time ( AND YOURS IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT ) .

* The customers, especially the pissed off ones,can be a handful. Be prepared for an earful. Most are nice but majority are prissy, stuck up people who will EXPECT you to bend over and squeeze them in to have their iphone fixed ahead of everyone else. This would only be alleviated if the company actually put more people on the sales floor/ technical support areas so that the employees wouldn't get stuck in escalations

It is August 2014 and from my point of view ; Apple Retail has changed drastically . its not the same fun place I remember it used to be . If you think im bullshitting ; I've witnessed about 8 people from the genius bar resign over the past few months , and that says alot where the company is heading !

Quality in the service is disappearing, FAST. Its all about Q U A N T I T Y folks !!!!!!!!!

Quantity of how many appointments employees can take + Less Staffing = HUGE BONUSES FOR MANAGERS

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU THINK TWICE ABOUT WORKING FOR APPLE RETAIL ..ESPECIALLY NOWADAYS?

Consider yourself warned.

I'm already looking for a way out . its just a matter of time.

Your employees are not idiots . Limiting the amount of staff per shift may give you guys bonuses/raises/incentives/etc --- but be advised that you will continue to lose more quality workers as this continues to go on.

Soon, I will be one of them .

You have no idea what we go through to make your stupid numbers and queues meet.

Apple retail is a nice job to have if you have your own side business. Don't even think about move up to corporate

Current Employee - Family Room Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Family Room Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Meeting a lot of cool people.

Cons

Too many talented employers but too many less intelligent managers. I mean it.

to who? to Tim Cook? I like him but I want Steve back. Please bring him back to us.

Lots of possibilities

Current Employee - Genius in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Genius in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Apple full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best part about working for apple is its People and culture

Cons

The worst part is working Retail hours and weekends

Inventory Specialist

Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is always something new happening at Apple, whether it is a new product launch or some other new process/initiatives, so the work is always interesting. Since they hiring process is very thorough most of the employees that do get hired are great people to work with. And while some would disagree I would consider the compensation an benefits to be very competitive.

Cons

There are very limited avenues for career progression, especially for those not interested in becoming a store manager. Managers have the ability to make exceptions for customers that you rarely get the same answer from different managers as they all are just making decisions on the fly as there is very little structure to their decision making. Sometimes there is too much focus of having the "Apple" attitude that those who do get the majority of the work done are seen as under performing as they aren't being "Apple" enough.

There needs to be more opportunities for people to build careers where they aren't stuck in the same position for 5+ years or else they will just keep leaving once they finally realize there is nowhere for them to go.

Great Place - Great people

Former Employee - Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Apple part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome group of people. lots of talent. family oriented.

Cons

Gets too busy. can get stressful and overwhelming during busy seasons

Keep up the great work

Bittersweet, hard to maintain work life balance

Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Apple part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Product discounts. Candidates hired tend to be very Smart

Cons

Lack of employer empathy towards subordinates

Employes need more reasons to stay with be company

Its ok

Current Employee - Mac Genius in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Mac Genius in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay when you reach top

Cons

Glass ceilings the limit. Once you get there... thats it