Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland)

www.applied.com

2.5

Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland) CEO Neil A. Schrimsher
Neil A. Schrimsher

Just "Eh"

I worked at Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland) (more than an year)

Pros

Corporate office was a friendly and relatively relaxed work environment. Associates were generally open and approachable. Great location close to downtown Cleveland. Decent opportunities and flexibility if you are looking to build a career in sales. Not a bad place to be if you are just starting out.

Cons

Rampant nepotism! A large portion of managers are both unqualified and unable to lead the departments/projects they are responsible for because they were promoted by "friends". This leads to a really uncomfortable and often frustrating work environment. Associates are the type to complain but never actually raise concerns or issues to the people in charge - most departments are full of "yes" men who then rant about how difficult everything is during happy hours or lunches.

Nearly impossible to get new ideas/projects off the ground. There seems to be an unspoken understanding that most associates just come to work to collect a paycheck, so if you are an energetic person with ideas and drive you will run into roadblocks...constantly.

Very "old-school" in the way the operate. Benefits and salaries are not at all competitive with other companies in the area.

Promoting from within is a great thing as long as the employees are qualified or at least properly trained to take on their new roles. Lackeys will only get you so far.

IT Department is mostly filled with clowns

I worked at Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland)

Pros

Free Parking, Good Cafeteria, Transportation

Cons

Office Culture, Office politics, Corrupt managers

Kick out the useless parasites leeching the company for decades

IT sweat shop with clueless management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH (US)

I worked at Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland) full-time

Pros

Nice facility. F.ree downtown parking

Cons

They pay the low end of the salary scale regardless of your experience. If you like working evenings and weekends then this is the place for you. I moved on and am making $40K more per year now and haven't woked an evening or weekend since.

Great company to work for!

I have been working at Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland)

Pros

Great benefits low turn over, Nationwide employer, upward mobility, education with different industrial products

Cons

Bonus based off of center performance, not individual efforts,

Don't Try To Be Exceptional

I worked at Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's good for a paycheck. Two weeks vacation a year isn't too bad. I got along with people I worked with. It's almost impossible to get fired, you really have to try.

Cons

Don't try to be exceptional. Don't go above and beyond. Don't do favors. Once you start doing more than anyone else, they'll expect it of you on a regular basis. They won't pay you for it either. These people have never heard of merit based pay.

They consistently get behind in the receiving department, then try to coerce everyone else to pull overtime to catch up, even threatening mandatory overtime.

They have a pay increase (yeah right) once a year. They say you can get up to a 5% increase but they cap it at 3%.
    You can't get a raise any other way. I asked for a raise once, and with my numbers and accuracy (highest in the DC) I thought that I was worth a little more than what they were paying me. The response I got was "We don't do that here."

Same goes for advancement. If you want a promotion, you have to wait for someone to die.

The benefits are dwindling steadily. The new CEO Neil Schrimsher, has decided that if the sales departments don't meet corporate's projected numbers, everyone else gets screwed. They made Millions in a fiscal year, but not as many millions as they wanted, so they took away profit sharing.

The people who do the grunt work in the sweltering DC's are the lowest on the totem pole and the last group of people that anyone considers. Most of these people show up every day and work hard for pay that is not equivalent and little to no respect.

Pay people for what they do. The guys doing the highest numbers should not be making the same as the guys who stand around and watch them work.

Treat your employees with respect. Show that you appreciate them. DO NOT take them for granted. YOU WILL lose them.

Awesome company - very customer and employee focused

I have been working at Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland) full-time

Pros

Customer focused, Employee focused, Supplier focused. New ERP system a big investment and a very good choice.

Cons

Large company with typical red tape. New ERP system a plus but also a learning curve. Lean run and managed company.

An entire life career... Many positions.... I am looking for a new job now!

Current Employee - Customer Service in Deer Park, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Deer Park, TX (US)

I have been working at Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland) full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Can get good experience if you apply yourself and learn on your own. Great products. A for "attempted" effort with new SAP system. Really good inter-company logistics.

Cons

No accountability, no one makes sure associates are given timely reviews and compensation for performance. Poor performers continue to adversely affect service to the customers without consequences. Too much playing. No higher management involvement. Outside sales do not sell because of lack of support from inside sales. No training available.

Really? Not even worth the time. Thats why they get the big bucks. Its not rocket science.

OK

Former Employee - Programmer in Cleveland, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Programmer in Cleveland, OH (US)

I worked at Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

very good manager. made a lot of close friends at work. could work a pretty traditional 7am - 4pm day with very little overtime.

Cons

I had a very good manager, but many of the other high level folks in IT were very average.

they placed very little value on employees trying to better themselves (Graduate school, for example). In fact, one former CIO once said in a mtg...and I am paraphrasing here....'Tell all your employees that just because they get an MBA, does not mean they get a raise'. he was missing the point entirely. those individuals that get those advanced degrees are exactly the people you want to keep. many of them (although, not all) are the leaders of the future. I have seen so many companies take talented people for granted. In fact, when I left Applied Industrial, I got a raise of more than 20%. This was not an anomaly. Many other folks that I know, who also moved on from AIT, had the same experience.

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As an account manager, you are given the keys to manage your territory as you see fit. As long you are filling out sales reports and keeping your numbers up, no one will hover over your shoulder.

Cons

Very hard to build a territory from scratch. When competition is at your prospective customers' doorsteps, you need to add value to your product. It is very difficult to open, secure, and lock an account in if you just have price on your side. Price can always be beat by someone else.

I recommend to pay employees industry standard salaries or you will lose essential personnel keeping the company afloat.

It was a great experience and I learned a lot.

Pros

They are very professional in their approach to business.

Cons

Politics and bureaucracy. A bit elitist.

A little less talk and a lot more action.