Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland)

www.applied.com

Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland) Reviews

Updated 24 January 2015
Updated 24 January 2015
2.9

Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland) CEO Neil A. Schrimsher
Neil A. Schrimsher

Very good company to work for.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Spartanburg, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Spartanburg, SC (US)

I have been working at Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits; decent pay; excellent co-workers; good schedule.

Cons

Not for everyone. You must like slower paced work environment that sometimes can be stressful.

A company in transition.

I have been working at Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland)

Pros

Many of the people who work there are really nice. great benefits, location and free parking.

Cons

Old school boys club. Poor work life balance. Way behind in the cutting technology race. Management doesn't encourage feedback from their people. The company just converted to SAP and the transition hasn't been easy. Poor training opportunities.

Make sure management gets continuous leadership training. HR needs to implement and anonymous pipeline to management where feedback can be given without fear. Better training across all lines of business. Encourage work life balance with working remotely and flexible hours.

Just "Eh"

I worked at Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland) (more than a year)

Pros

Corporate office was a friendly and relatively relaxed work environment. Associates were generally open and approachable. Great location close to downtown Cleveland. Decent opportunities and flexibility if you are looking to build a career in sales. Not a bad place to be if you are just starting out.

Cons

Rampant nepotism! A large portion of managers are both unqualified and unable to lead the departments/projects they are responsible for because they were promoted by "friends". This leads to a really uncomfortable and often frustrating work environment. Associates are the type to complain but never actually raise concerns or issues to the people in charge - most departments are full of "yes" men who then rant about how difficult everything is during happy hours or lunches.

Nearly impossible to get new ideas/projects off the ground. There seems to be an unspoken understanding that most associates just come to work to collect a paycheck, so if you are an energetic person with ideas and drive you will run into roadblocks...constantly.

Very "old-school" in the way the operate. Benefits and salaries are not at all competitive with other companies in the area.

Promoting from within is a great thing as long as the employees are qualified or at least properly trained to take on their new roles. Lackeys will only get you so far.

Great Place to Work

I have been working at Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a great organization with many options for career growth and diverse learning experiences. The facility is clean, provides free parking, and has a cafeteria onsite. I work with friendly people who always offer assistance and advise. The company has a customer service focused culture and promotes the wellness and family values most people seek. The work is challenging and rewarding.

Cons

The location is downtown in midtown.
    The industry is very competitive.
    The brand is not well known outside of industrial segments.

Continue to share direction and strategy to all levels of the organization

IT Department is mostly filled with clowns

I worked at Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland)

Pros

Free Parking, Good Cafeteria, Transportation

Cons

Office Culture, Office politics, Corrupt managers

Kick out the useless parasites leeching the company for decades

IT sweat shop with clueless management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH (US)

I worked at Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland) full-time

Pros

Nice facility. F.ree downtown parking

Cons

They pay the low end of the salary scale regardless of your experience. If you like working evenings and weekends then this is the place for you. I moved on and am making $40K more per year now and haven't woked an evening or weekend since.

Great company to work for!

I have been working at Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland)

Pros

Great benefits low turn over, Nationwide employer, upward mobility, education with different industrial products

Cons

Bonus based off of center performance, not individual efforts,

Don't Try To Be Exceptional

I worked at Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's good for a paycheck. Two weeks vacation a year isn't too bad. I got along with people I worked with. It's almost impossible to get fired, you really have to try.

Cons

Don't try to be exceptional. Don't go above and beyond. Don't do favors. Once you start doing more than anyone else, they'll expect it of you on a regular basis. They won't pay you for it either. These people have never heard of merit based pay.

They consistently get behind in the receiving department, then try to coerce everyone else to pull overtime to catch up, even threatening mandatory overtime.

They have a pay increase (yeah right) once a year. They say you can get up to a 5% increase but they cap it at 3%.
    You can't get a raise any other way. I asked for a raise once, and with my numbers and accuracy (highest in the DC) I thought that I was worth a little more than what they were paying me. The response I got was "We don't do that here."

Same goes for advancement. If you want a promotion, you have to wait for someone to die.

The benefits are dwindling steadily. The new CEO Neil Schrimsher, has decided that if the sales departments don't meet corporate's projected numbers, everyone else gets screwed. They made Millions in a fiscal year, but not as many millions as they wanted, so they took away profit sharing.

The people who do the grunt work in the sweltering DC's are the lowest on the totem pole and the last group of people that anyone considers. Most of these people show up every day and work hard for pay that is not equivalent and little to no respect.

Pay people for what they do. The guys doing the highest numbers should not be making the same as the guys who stand around and watch them work.

Treat your employees with respect. Show that you appreciate them. DO NOT take them for granted. YOU WILL lose them.

Awesome company - very customer and employee focused

I have been working at Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland) full-time

Pros

Customer focused, Employee focused, Supplier focused. New ERP system a big investment and a very good choice.

Cons

Large company with typical red tape. New ERP system a plus but also a learning curve. Lean run and managed company.