Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland)

www.applied.com
  www.applied.com

Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland) Reviews

Updated 8 October 2014
Updated 8 October 2014
2.6

Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland) CEO Neil A. Schrimsher
Neil A. Schrimsher

Great company to work for!

I have been working at Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland)

Pros

Great benefits low turn over, Nationwide employer, upward mobility, education with different industrial products

Cons

Bonus based off of center performance, not individual efforts,

Don't Try To Be Exceptional

I worked at Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's good for a paycheck. Two weeks vacation a year isn't too bad. I got along with people I worked with. It's almost impossible to get fired, you really have to try.

Cons

Don't try to be exceptional. Don't go above and beyond. Don't do favors. Once you start doing more than anyone else, they'll expect it of you on a regular basis. They won't pay you for it either. These people have never heard of merit based pay.

They consistently get behind in the receiving department, then try to coerce everyone else to pull overtime to catch up, even threatening mandatory overtime.

They have a pay increase (yeah right) once a year. They say you can get up to a 5% increase but they cap it at 3%.
    You can't get a raise any other way. I asked for a raise once, and with my numbers and accuracy (highest in the DC) I thought that I was worth a little more than what they were paying me. The response I got was "We don't do that here."

Same goes for advancement. If you want a promotion, you have to wait for someone to die.

The benefits are dwindling steadily. The new CEO Neil Schrimsher, has decided that if the sales departments don't meet corporate's projected numbers, everyone else gets screwed. They made Millions in a fiscal year, but not as many millions as they wanted, so they took away profit sharing.

The people who do the grunt work in the sweltering DC's are the lowest on the totem pole and the last group of people that anyone considers. Most of these people show up every day and work hard for pay that is not equivalent and little to no respect.

Pay people for what they do. The guys doing the highest numbers should not be making the same as the guys who stand around and watch them work.

Treat your employees with respect. Show that you appreciate them. DO NOT take them for granted. YOU WILL lose them.

Awesome company - very customer and employee focused

I have been working at Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland) full-time

Pros

Customer focused, Employee focused, Supplier focused. New ERP system a big investment and a very good choice.

Cons

Large company with typical red tape. New ERP system a plus but also a learning curve. Lean run and managed company.

An entire life career... Many positions.... I am looking for a new job now!

Current Employee - Customer Service in Deer Park, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Deer Park, TX (US)

I have been working at Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland) full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Can get good experience if you apply yourself and learn on your own. Great products. A for "attempted" effort with new SAP system. Really good inter-company logistics.

Cons

No accountability, no one makes sure associates are given timely reviews and compensation for performance. Poor performers continue to adversely affect service to the customers without consequences. Too much playing. No higher management involvement. Outside sales do not sell because of lack of support from inside sales. No training available.

Really? Not even worth the time. Thats why they get the big bucks. Its not rocket science.

OK

Former Employee - Programmer in Cleveland, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Programmer in Cleveland, OH (US)

I worked at Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

very good manager. made a lot of close friends at work. could work a pretty traditional 7am - 4pm day with very little overtime.

Cons

I had a very good manager, but many of the other high level folks in IT were very average.

they placed very little value on employees trying to better themselves (Graduate school, for example). In fact, one former CIO once said in a mtg...and I am paraphrasing here....'Tell all your employees that just because they get an MBA, does not mean they get a raise'. he was missing the point entirely. those individuals that get those advanced degrees are exactly the people you want to keep. many of them (although, not all) are the leaders of the future. I have seen so many companies take talented people for granted. In fact, when I left Applied Industrial, I got a raise of more than 20%. This was not an anomaly. Many other folks that I know, who also moved on from AIT, had the same experience.

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As an account manager, you are given the keys to manage your territory as you see fit. As long you are filling out sales reports and keeping your numbers up, no one will hover over your shoulder.

Cons

Very hard to build a territory from scratch. When competition is at your prospective customers' doorsteps, you need to add value to your product. It is very difficult to open, secure, and lock an account in if you just have price on your side. Price can always be beat by someone else.

I recommend to pay employees industry standard salaries or you will lose essential personnel keeping the company afloat.

It was a great experience and I learned a lot.

Pros

They are very professional in their approach to business.

Cons

Politics and bureaucracy. A bit elitist.

A little less talk and a lot more action.

Typical slum employer

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland) full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits were decent considering how in the hole health care has gone.

Cons

Management has their noses stuck far up the hind ends of regionals. Company only cares about who is kissing whose rear end. No loyalty. Longevity means squat. Watch your back.

Those in corporate should pay attention to what really goes on at branch level. Might get happier employees who care about their jobs.

AIT provides a job, not a career.

Current Employee - Customer Service Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Sales Representative

I have been working at Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland) full-time

Pros

It is a decent entry level job that exposes you to working first hand with customers and provides you with a concept of business as a whole.

Cons

Management rarely does what they say they will do. The company often pays less than the cost of living. They give you a plan for your future upon employment, but the plan slowly deteriorates as time goes on. There is a huge disconnect between corporate and branch levels as well as poor morale among employees, which leads to customers not being taken care of. After seeing multiple branches across the US, it is a common trend to see both veterans as well as new employees completely dissatisfied with the company.

Encourage your employees by letting them know when they are doing a good job and show them that they are valued (every day encouragement, incentives, etc). Management needs to work on standing behind what they say. The customers will be much better taken care of if Applied employees enjoy where they work and know they are working for a company that values their efforts.

Good Company but could be great!

Current Employee - General Manager in Cleveland, OH (US)
    Current Employee - General Manager in Cleveland, OH (US)

I have been working at Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland) (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company is in transition with new senior management and has great potentials once those 5 & 10 year plans are put in place. Great people around the country working in the field. Great product lines to compete with competitors.

Cons

Senior management needs to improve strategies and make changes so it can maintain current associates, loss of too many strong associates has made it difficult to develop accounts and markets.

CEO & CCO should take a look at current senior officers and strategies, need to open their minds to new business opportunities. Look into the reason why so many strong associates are leaving to competitors. Need to come down from the glass tower and speak with field to hear and solve problems. It is very difficult to grow business when you can barely manage current business with so few staff members at the branch level.