ArcelorMittal USA Reviews

3.3
ArcelorMittal USA CEO ArcelorMittal USA Andy Harshaw
Andy Harshaw
1 Rating

Pros
  • Great internship program and mentorship for young engineers starting in the steel industry (in 9 reviews)

• Excellent work-life balance, good benefits, and great co-workers (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little to no opportunity for career advancement for non-Operations, non-engineering support staff (in 3 reviews)

• There's an exceptionally high turnover rate especially among young people due to the culture, work/life balance,etc (in 4 reviews)

1. Consultant

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA

Pros

Intelligent, professional people are everywhere

Cons

Steel is not a sexy industry

Advice to Management

Keep supporting the front line workers

2. Great Employer

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good work environment, great benefits.

Cons

Large corporation, sometimes decisions for the whole are necessarily the best for individual operations.

Advice to Management

Keep your finger on the pulse of the middle management employees

3. A barely tolerable work environment

Current Employee - Associate Mechanical Engineer in Coatesville, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Mechanical Engineer in Coatesville, PA (US)

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best reason for working at the Coatesville plant is mainly the people. They've been the most enjoyable part of the job. Good benefits, very safety aware. pretty approachable management

Cons

Union shop means tensions can rise for various reasons. Areas seem constantly understaffed and under-supported. Emergencies mean rearranging your schedule around work - could lead to 20+ hours days or multiple weeks with no day off.

Advice to Management

Provide more continual feedback to employees besides a once a year, 20 minute sit-down

5. great company in terms of benefits and good coworkers atmosphere; pretty slow on some decisions that take for months...

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA

Pros

good atmosphere, good benefits, good coworkers

Cons

slow decision making, long response time

Advice to Management

improve IT

6. Intern with little to do

Former Intern - Associate Engineer in Cleveland, OH (US)
    Former Intern - Associate Engineer in Cleveland, OH (US)

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

There are some great people, friendly and kind who you will have the chance to work with. This is a highly efficient mill with new technology and new steel grades coming into it. There are opportunities to be a part of some very cool advancements in the industry.

Cons

There isn't a lot of distinguishment in compensation or treatment between those who work hard and those who scrape by doing scarcely any work. Also, the union culture sometimes prevents efficiency in production by enabling two or three individuals to share work which could easily be performed by one.

Advice to Management

Seek to get all employees more equally involved in and dedicated to the company. Perhaps change the current compensation strategy to be more dependent on employee performance reviews.

7. AM/NS Calvert - Be cautious!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calvert, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calvert, AL (US)

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was great, the best co-workers I've ever had! Good training classes/programs.

Cons

Very poor management. Employees that do not do their share of work and miss a lot of time are allowed to get away with it, while really good employees who work hard and never miss work take up the slack and do not get recognized for it. Too many audits after company takeover last year, and after a few months went by after the buyout the extreme changes started coming. I was harshly interrogated for two hours and then put on suspension for 3 weeks for something that I did not do and they never had proof (because it didn't exist) but lost my job anyway for "violation of company policy" but they could not tell me which policy. This all came from the corporate office and our local HR department knew nothing and could give me no information. Consulting a lawyer. The bad thing is that I absolutely loved my job and always received high reviews, never missed work, and have very high work ethic. This was devastating and out of the blue! The way this was handled is absolutely horrific!

Advice to Management

Get a backbone and stand up for your employees who you have always trusted and know are good ethical workers!!

8. great learning opportunity, industry experience

Former Intern - Metallurgical in Indiana Harbor, IN (US)
    Former Intern - Metallurgical in Indiana Harbor, IN (US)

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

excellent mentorship as an intern, reasonable amount of freedom to work independently

Cons

intern living arrangements, interrelations between engineers/hourly

9. Great Experience

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA

Pros

I worked here for a summer and it was a great experience, everyone was nice and helpful. I learned a lot and the pay was good for a summer internship.

Cons

Sometimes there was a lot of down time especially when there is an outage, and sometimes people would be stressed out when there was something wrong in the mill.

Advice to Management

Compensation was great and opportunities were there for improvement

10. Good company

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA

Pros

Good opportunities to grow and implement projects

Cons

management can be hard to deal with sometimes

11. Moments of satisfaction sprinkled with overwork and frustration.

Current Employee - Technical Services Engineer in Burns Harbor, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Services Engineer in Burns Harbor, IN (US)

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA

Pros

Lots of highly skilled and knowledgeable coworkers to learn from and to help guide you along your career.

Cons

Frustrating upper management decisions and almost no ability to induce change among the union work force. Long hours with minimal comprnsation, even after repeated attempts to garnish help or an increase in salary.