ArcelorMittal USA

ArcelorMittal USA Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

ArcelorMittal USA President and CEO Mike Rippey

Mike Rippey

Pros
  • Great internship program and mentorship for young engineers starting in the steel industry(in 7 reviews)

• Great benefits, good pay, good learning opportunity(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Management is very bad, big turnover rate, Poor experience(in 5 reviews)

• Very little to no opportunity for career advancement for non-Operations, non-engineering support staff(in 3 reviews)

Great employer that allowed for

Environmental Engineer (Former Employee) Riverdale, IL (US)

ProsI worked at a smaller ArcelorMittal facility, which made project implementation and improvements much easier, and also allowed me to have direct influence over HSE decisions. There was less bureaucracy, and I had a direct line to plant management, and was able to form good relationships with the bargaining unit workforce.

ConsThere was limited funding directed to our facility, which required you to get creative with money spent, or devise revenue practices. This could also be viewed as a bonus, as it actually allowed us to implement more recycling/reuse programs to generate revenue.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere were a few managers who were dead weight and needed to be changed.
    Also, those managers who were great at their jobs were rewarded by picking up the slack for the managers who didn't do their own jobs properly. It is sure to cause burn out.

Good starting out job, lots of orientation.

ProsGreat internship program and mentorship for young engineers starting in the steel industry.

ConsNot all experiences were as good as mine. Some interns report being very bored and having nothing to do

Engineering Internship, stay clear of these rats

Mechanical Engineer Intern (Former Employee) Burns Harbor, IN (US)

ProsEngineers in the plant are all very smart and willing to help you. They are friendly and work on some pretty cool projects with you. Even middle management is friendly and willing to reach out to you for help and assistance on projects.

ConsHR is a bunch of lying rats. The turnover rate in their associate engineer program is astonishing and instead of looking at themselves as the problem they simply blame certain schools they recruit from. Everyone hates their jobs, the long hours, being on call 24/7 and the locations are in the middle of nowhere. Wasted a summer with this company. The union guys are stubborn and don't care what management has to say. They've been doing their jobs for 40 years and think they know everything. Every department blames another and no one is on the same page. Place is dangerous; I got emails almost every week about someone dying in some AM plant.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire. Quit. Move on. Let some young blood flow through the company. The old guys running the show are washed up and way too into the politics of who is going to be the next plant manager. Big deal, grow up and do your job.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have worked here for the last 40 years. We have gone through many changes. I should have at least 4 more years left.

Mechanic Welder/Administrative (Current Employee) East Chicago, IN (US)

ProsThe work has been steady for the last 40 years for me. Started as a mechanic than a mechanic welder now in administrative position the last 5 years.

ConsMore money has to be spent on keeping this place running. I really think that upper management is not keeping Lakshmi Mittal informed. I find it hard to believe he doesn't know what really is going on.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell Lakshmi what condition his investment is really in.

Good place to work as an engineer with plenty of opportunity and helpful people.

Project Engineer (Current Employee) East Chicago, IN (US)

ProsCurrently the mill is understaffed from an engineering and labor force standpoint. Therefore, there is plenty of work to do and anyone will let you work on any project if you desire to do so. Very old school technology but upgrades are previlent. Good bonus structure and excellent benefits! Your hours worked will soely depend on your department. Some engineers work 8 hours/day with no opportunity for overtime, while others work closer to 10 and occasionally more with overtime offered (only after 12 hours/day). Also, plenty of field work, you will not be stuck behind a desk all day here.

The people are also good. I have had nothing but a good experience from the union labor force. Always very friendly and willing to help. Some guys (and gals) are rough around the edges but deep down they are hard workers and that is what this company needs more of. Some enginers in my department are so overworked they do not like to talk much, but like I said work load will vary from dept to dept.

ConsSome areas are deplorable to work in. Don't be afraid to work out in the freezing cold or blistering heat because the job will take you out there at times (possibly 5-25% of your week depending on job title). This is an old mill and many areas are not updated. Wear your safty PPE and you will be just fine.

Managers are so bogged down that they are not very in touch with thier workforce. Most people work on what they feel like so some days can be unmotivating.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk with your people more (weekly updates, one-on-one meetings). I know some managers do this but most are too busy...

Just started working here. Great company! Monessen,PA

Laborer (Current Employee) Monessen, PA (US)

ProsThe best health insurance around! Pay is good for this line of work. Received raises in an appropriate timeframe, unlike other companies! Great Benefits. Great coworkers and supervisors. Great safety training! I am only 33 and this seems like a good stable job and this company is great to work for, I would like to eventually retire from this job in 30 some years. Everyone looks out for each other safety wise!

ConsDangerous work. I work on the coke oven batteries. You always have to be aware of whats going on(as with any job) but this is more dangerous. The environment is Hot! All of the work is outside!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work! I dont know any of the management personel, but I (and other employees) Would eventually like to see profit sharing or incentive in Monessen,PA.

Maintenance Planner

Planner (Current Employee) East Chicago, IN (US)

ProsGood Pay, great benefits, opportunity

Consscheduling conflicts with departments, difficult to get items purchased without going through a lot of hoops due to corporate purchasing philosiphy

Good first job

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

Pros-Experience with large scale operations
    -Pretty good benefits and bonus structure
    -Many nice people at this company
    -Work life balance is pretty great for the entry level employees, working on the weekends is almost non-existent if you can stay on task during the work week
    -Ability to quickly take on responsibilities
    -Many opportunities to develop a career

Cons-IT systems are dated and make it challenging to do in depth analysis
    -Resistant to change
    -Limited vacation time
    -No long term vision
    -Not very challenging for an average college graduate
    -Disconnected from upper management
    -Pay is pretty good for a first job but you'll quickly be doing things that deserve higher compensation without receiving the monetary recognition

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about what you want to accomplish within the next five years. Not everything is about saving money on unit costs. Making improvements to systems and procedures could pay dividends long term.

It'll do for now, but not staying long!

Maintenance (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsGreat health insurance( for now anyways). Seemingly steady work for now, but mills shut down all the time so who knows. Paid holidays.

ConsLazy co-workers with zero pride in their work. ZERO room for advancement. Low pay rate for experience needed to become a maintenance person here. To make a comfortable living in this area, you must work 60+ hrs/wk. No sick days.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure a way to get rid of the dead weight.

not that great

Intern (Former Employee) Middletown, PA (US)

Prosinteresting things to see on how some of the products are made. Better to see things in real life.

Consno direction / training. Everybody was too busy with their own work. Leader showed no leadership

Worked for ArcelorMittal USA? Contribute to the Community!