AroundCampus

AroundCampus Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

AroundCampus President John O'Brien

John O'Brien

Pros
  • You really learn a lot about yourself and how hard you work because this is the whole internship(in 12 reviews)

• The training program in Chapel Hill allows you to meet lots of other students from across the country(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance, you're expected to put in long hours(in 20 reviews)

• Hard hard hard job, basically no pay, advertising is outdated and hard to sell(in 10 reviews)

Negative Internship Experience

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsI had a great team that I worked with every day. We got along fairly well by the end of the 12 weeks. The training in NC was pretty fun too.

ConsFirst of all, even though the training was in a fun location, it was very time intensive. You were expected to put in overtime and stay up until 3 am despite a usual 6 am wake up time- all would be fine, but the training was without pay. Next, I felt like management promoted lying to any potential customers to get any sort of sale, which I took negatively. The market I worked in didn't quite take to the product but they would not take no for an answer. Also it was essential to put in more time after our allotted 9 hours a day, without any overtime being paid. The weekly base pay also was not nearly enough because of all the money spent on gas and other things. I essentially made no money last summer and this internship was a mistake in my opinion.

A Summer to Remember

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsYou learn a lot. You learn to be independent and to step outside of your comfort zone. You learn how to deal with people (clients) and how to be more professional. Training at North Carolina was a fun experience.

ConsIt was not for someone who is weak and easily breakable. you experience so much frustration in this job. actually, it would be an everyday thing.

Advice to Senior Managementpromote your product better to its users. the students don't even know what it is.

Sales Rep

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat learning experience and had a lot of opportunities after with career partners

Conslow pay, product is tough too sell, poor communication with the home office.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Future Career Opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prospersonal growth, management, future career opportunities

Conspay could be increased for amount of travel

Beware of AroundCampus, formally known as University Directories

Sales Team Leader (Current Employee)

Prossales experience, good resume builder but only for saying how you overcame challenges

Conshorrible compensation, no benefits, drive around city all day don't compensate for gas, unprofessional managers

Advice to Senior ManagementI would really note all the positive and negative comments on here. If this internship was as good as some of the reviews are saying, there wouldn't be nearly as many negative reviews as on this page. I would be very careful when applying to this internship because while interviewing they keep it very general so you don't know what you're getting into. Almost more than half my team quit before the internship was over. So make sure to keep ALL reviews in mind

Too much work, not enough pay

Full-time Summer Sales Intern (Current Employee)

Prosgood experience opportunity for someone that doesn't really need the money.

Cons-only get paid $200/wk , visit over 30 businesses each day, but you have to pay for own gas in car.
    -training is draining & overly scripted sales

Advice to Senior ManagementPay student interns more because the money is definitely needed.

Great company to establish an excellent foundation in sales.

Sales Team Leader (Former Employee)

ProsIt is 100% sales what you put in determines what you get out.
    Very rewarding experience and training that is known in the sales world.
    Great for college undergrads that want to experience what sales is like.

ConsCompensation for interns could be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat training and compassion for interns

Sales Associate

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsCompany gives you great training and you will receive a lot of opportunities from their corporate partners. Lots of opportunities to move up within the company.

ConsCan be discouraging when you first get out into the field and begin working. Product is considered over priced for many of the businesses.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds more price fluctuation

Advertising Sales Rep

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsExpense paid trip to training at UNC-Chapel Hill
    Met a lot of new friends from all over the country
    Great experience
    You get out of it what you put in

ConsA lot of work and time
    Not easy
    Be ready for rejection
    Have to cover your own expenses

Great overall experience

Sales Team Leader/Sales (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

Prosexcellent training opportunities
    great team based structure and support
    younger regional management which makes them more approachable. (all have been through the internship)

Consmost business owners aren't interested in student customers
    the pay is not great considering you have to drive all over Atlanta 5 days a week

Worked for AroundCampus? Contribute to the Community!