AroundCampus

AroundCampus Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

AroundCampus President John O'Brien

John O'Brien

Pros
  • You really learn a lot about yourself and how hard you work because this is the whole internship(in 12 reviews)

• The training program in Chapel Hill allows you to meet lots of other students from across the country(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance, you're expected to put in long hours(in 20 reviews)

• Hard hard hard job, basically no pay, advertising is outdated and hard to sell(in 10 reviews)

Great resume builder

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA (US)

Pros- Get to meet with new and interesting people everyday
    - You determine your success
    - Great training program
    - Awesome career partners, leading to many job opportunities
    - Team based approach

Cons- Low compensation
    - No mileage or gas reimbursement
    - Long days
    - Not enough tools provided to effectively track prospects

Advice to Senior Management- The training program is tremendous, keep it up
    - If the correct tracking tools are used, sales would be doubled at a minimum

Very challenging, but EXTREMELY rewarding!

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsIt's not your typical internship, you get full hands-on experience and it helps you not only professionally, but helps you grow personally as well. This internship opened up so many doors for my future and I know I wouldn't have these career options otherwise.

ConsThe Summer days can be hot, you will hear no, but at the end it's all worth it. You truly get what you put into the job.

Great start to a sales career

ProsExpenses paid sales training in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Great networking opportunities with career partners. All of the hard work pays off when it comes to looking for a career in sales.

ConsIt can sometimes be a pain to have to constantly bug the same businesses after they've said no 5 times. Paper advertising is the hardest type of sales, and it really takes a lot of motivation. My market was small and so was my territory which made it harder to sell.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This was a great place to intern.

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsYou get to work by yourself for most of the day. Management was very helpful. Really looks good on a resume. Team bonding was very strong. Opportunities to move to a new market when you're done with the current one. All expense paid trip to NC. You get out what you put in.

ConsCompensation is low. You put a lot of miles on your car, and it gets really hot.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe up the compensation or do something to help with gas

One of the most life changing, incredible, challenging and rewarding experience I have ever done.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Fun, young, energetic management team
    -All of the sales managers and the President himself have done the internship, so they know exactly how to coach and mentor us
    -Hands on, real life sales experience that you can't find at any other internship
    -Great support system throughout the summer, the Regional Managers visit you in each market and do ride alongs and go on sales calls with you
    -Career Partner Network with great companies who actively seek to hire our interns, I had 5 companies reach out to me to discuss full time opportunities after I completed the internship
    -Morning webinar led by the President every single morning to fire up the teams

Cons-It definitely comes with it's challenges but interns that put in the time and effort will see success throughout the program

Advice to Senior Management-Don't change a thing, I still keep in touch with my regional manager and he is responsible for a large amount of personal and professional growth over the summer and my last year as an intern

Terrible Conditions, Horrible Managers

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsSome recruiters have been impressed by my internship experience with UD

ConsBarely get paid, you're hardly making any money by the time you account for all the gas you have to pay for, companies don't want or need the product so you're basically being told no constantly, bosses play favorites and are inexperienced, quick turnover, all around horrible summer, expect you to work overtime for no pay

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvertise the app and get people to start using it, because the app views are terrible and businesses haven't ever heard of it

Means well..lacks organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLearned management and communication skills. Helped me to be more upfront and courageous to confront businesses.

ConsInvested a lot of time, money and effort to something that wasn't really rewarding. Experience would have been better with a more organized regional manager.

Lacked goals

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Tampa, FL (US)

ProsGood training and builds character

ConsRipped off businesses, bad rep

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more honest

Career Enhancing Opportunity

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Muncie, IN (US)

ProsGREAT outside B2B sales experience
    Fantastic training program
    Career opportunities
    Cold and Warm calling experience
    Networking
    Management (top to bottom)

"Being an outside sales intern with UD was the best decision I've made in building my professional career. The Sales Foundation Academy is an unmatched training program. The real world sales experience is eye-opening and allows you to get a taste of the industry. The coworkers, managers, and clients you are able to network with over these 3 months are connections that can benefit you over a career. If you work hard, get organized early and stay persistent, you have the opportunity for a memorable summer!"

ConsNo gas or meal reimbursement
    Pay slightly lower than you expect

If you aren't willing to go "all in" and commit to a long, hot, and tough summer, then this may not be for you. It will require 110%, but is WELL worth it when you push through it!

Advice to Senior ManagementThe directory is great for the faculty, but the students don't use it. Keep investing in the planner and AroundCampus mobile app. Work on developing new and innovative platforms to continue connecting college towns to their markets.

I gained so much experience and received great support every step of the way!

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsGreat, happy, fun people in a team environment. I couldn't believe they sent us to a week-long training program, I knew nothing little about sales before taking this internship but have a career in it now. I made great friends here, even with my manager who gave great support along the way.

ConsIt was a challenging experience, and I made a decent amount but wouldn't do it for the money.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you!

Worked for AroundCampus? Contribute to the Community!