AroundCampus

Updated 21 November 2014
3.5

AroundCampus President John O'Brien
John O'Brien

Pros
  • You really learn a lot about yourself and how hard you work because this is the whole internship (in 14 reviews)

• The training program in Chapel Hill allows you to meet lots of other students from across the country (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Long Hours: You are required to work 40 hours per week (in 24 reviews)

• In the area I was in it was hard to sell because the product isn't as well known (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Life Changing Opportunity!

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Ann Arbor, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Ann Arbor, MI (US)

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-network with local business in your campus community
    -learn the resposibilities and gain knowledge of operating a local business
    -real world experience that you cannot get anywhere else
    -learn how to become a salesperson and gain marketing skills
    -immense personal growth through this internship, regardless of success
    -strong community and support system built within team work
    -paid internship, guaranteed salary and beyond this is up to you how much you make (based on sales)
    -you can control how much time (i.e. success) you want to put into the summer

Cons

-challenging and demanding at times
    -emotional highs and lows of the sales process
    -requires strong organization skills, strategy, persistence, and personability
    -sales is not always a natural process for all, can be much harder for others

Best experience you can get while in college

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The training you are put through. They fly you out to UNC Chapel Hill for a week long sales training conference. You meet people from all over the country and network a ton. Their connections to outside companies as well is perfect for after graduation

Cons

The content you sell is rarely used, so as far as morality goes, it is hard to tell someone to spend $1000 with you.

Incredible Internship Opportunity

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Slippery Rock, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Slippery Rock, PA (US)

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Learned a lot from training
    Great job experience
    Received a lot of help/encouragment from management
    Looks great on a resume

Cons

Internship, not a lot of pay
    Sometimes its a tough sell and you need to stay motivated

Keep up the great work

Toughest Internship Out There...but Beyond Worth It

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Memphis, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Memphis, TN (US)

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Extensive training in Chapel Hill, NC. As a marketing major, I learned more during this week than in most of my classes.
    I set my own schedule. Management comes to town weekly to provide coaching but I'm allowed the freedom to go out and schedule my own meetings and be my own boss.
    I wasn't left on my own, though, after training because I could call my manager anytime (day or night) and he helped me out.
    Really useful getting to meet different business owners and get to know how they run their businesses.
    Daily webinar with the president of the company.
    The Career Partners reaching out with job opportunities (or if you find a job with someone else your manager will help you get a job)

Cons

Rejection is tough...I had to meet with businesses 5-6 times before they would say yes.
    When I heard my sales goal, it seemed impossible...but once we broke it down among my teammates and the days/weeks of the summer...it became clear just how possible it was.
    All of the career partners are sales jobs

Summer Intern Experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The training program is a five day extensive sales academy that prepares you as best it can for the business to business cold calls you will be preforming on a day to day basis all summer. The training and then implementing it helped me grow personally and professionally.

Cons

The AroundCampus Product could use some work. I didn't believe in the product I was selling.

Find a way to improve the product, so that the companies using it actually see results.

Hard work but worth it

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Memphis, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Memphis, TN (US)

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The overall experience was super challenging but it also helped me to gain some real world work experience. The training week was so fun but still prepared me for the job. Taught me a lot about how to conduct myself in business meetings and my interview skills really benefited.

Cons

Its a hard hard job. Also they don't allow you to have any vacation days (which in the summer is kinda a big deal for family time) and the pay was not explained as well as it could have been.

Try to understand that towards the end of the summer, you've almost run out of businesses to talk to and in some areas a "Hard No" can't be turned into a yes.

Internship ONLY for sales people

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Yeah, if you are a sales person, this is the perfect internship for you. They treat their interns very well. They will pay all expenses during internship training.

Cons

They say this internship help all majors. It's a big lie. If you are marking or PR, run. Companies will start contacting you only for sales. They will ignore the rest of your experience in your resume.

Challenging Internship

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great Experience, Very hard summer internship. You have to be motivated to be in this internship or you get nothing from it. The people you meet are amazing!

Cons

Internship- the pay isn't good unless you are selling a lot more than expected of you.
    In the area I was in it was hard to sell because the product isn't as well known.

There needs to be more AroundCampus Reps in the schools during the year to fire up the App to make selling over the summer more successful

Good first internship, lots of hardwork

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Ann Arbor, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Ann Arbor, MI (US)

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Not micromanaged, lots of freedom, improve confidence, expand network

Cons

Under paid, long hours, business owners were generally disinterested

"Only take this internship if you don't have any other paid internship options"

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Training
    - You get trained at UNC-Chapel Hill for a whole week. They teach some valuable info. about sales. There are hundreds of interns from all across the country that attend. I made a lot of friends from other schools in my region, who I still talk to six months later. The training probably made it worth it to do the internship. The first and last nights of training are basically a big party.

People
    - There were three other interns at my school. We all got along extremely well. By the ended of the summer, we were more of friends than co-workers. We continuously made fun of the underachieving product together.

- If you are going to start your career in sales, you will get some good experience from this. It will give you stories to tell in future interviews.

Cons

Pay
    -The pay is very low. $200 per 40 hours a week, you do the math. You can make 15% commission on top of that, but only a selection few will ever hit the type of numbers to start making commission. You also have to pay for your own gas. You can't afford this internship unless your parents give you good financial support. I'm very fortunate to have been lucky enough that. Overall, the pay is better than Campus Special though.

Product (Where do I start?)
    Usage:
    - Students don't use, or know about the mobile app. Also, they don't use the coupons in the planner. I talked to plenty of past customers. EVERY person who had a coupon/ coupons in the planner in the past had single digit redemption. ACG teaches you to counter these rejections by telling them to make a coupon with a better deal. How do I tell them this when their coupon was giving away free stuff? Overall, this is just in my college town (20,000 students. Other markets that depend on college students for business could be different).
    Distribution: At least at my school, the student organization that distributes the product doesn't even pass out all of the planners. I still see them laid out in the College of Business, untouched months later.
    Mobile App:
    - I showed all these local business owners this newly updated mobile app coming out this school year. Today, it's almost November and it's still not out.
    Perception: Any established business owner already knows the company and hates the product. Almost every sale my co-workers and I had was to a new business, who hadn't heard of the product before. They also give you accounts from the year before that inside sales couldn't resign. Yeah, those don't really go too well.
    Prices:
    The prices of an ad are outrageous. In my market, a quarter page ad in the consumer guide was $1,000. What kind of college student uses a consumer guide? You're obviously just going to google it.

Management
    - Management will lie to customers to make a sale. Also, the office in NC is extremely unorganized. They don't really know what they're doing. I'm not going to get specific with that.

- You really need to make an effort to gain exposure to the product. At least in my market, no one knows about it or uses it.
    -I felt like I ripped off any business owner I sold to. 99% of them will not benefit from buying the product.
    - Hurry up and update the mobile app. It's sad that it was a main selling point over the summer and it's not even updated yet.
    - If you paid interns more, they might be more motivated. When interns find all of the new customers for the company, you should compensate them for that.
    - The ACG needs to make some serious changes if they want to be successful. Campus Special already had a higher market share in my territory at least. Now that Chegg bought them and will re-brand them as "Chegg Campus Deals", the ACG will probably lose more of their market share.
    - Most of these crazy good reviews on Glassdoor are definitely written by the company
    - Johnny O is the man though.

AroundCampus Response

Nov 20, 2014President

Thanks for taking the time to post such a thorough review. I'm sorry the summer did not play out the way you would have hoped. Reading through other reviews your experience seems to be isolated ... More