AroundCampus

Updated 11 December 2014
3.5

AroundCampus President John O'Brien
John O'Brien

Pros
  • You really learn a lot about yourself and how hard you work because this is the whole internship (in 14 reviews)

• The training program in Chapel Hill allows you to meet lots of other students from across the country (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Long Hours: You are required to work 40 hours per week (in 25 reviews)

• In the area I was in it was hard to sell because the product isn't as well known (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Great opportunity

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Training is top notch but very tough. Will learn lots of skills that will help you further your career. If you are very successful the job can be very lucrative. You will get out what you put in.

Cons

Very tough when you actually begin selling in your market. Some customers will pretty much downgrade you to the point of depression. Many objections are hard to overcome.

Keep it up. Its not easy to train 600+ college students every summer and still be successful.

Excellent!

Former Employee - Sales Representative in New Orleans, LA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in New Orleans, LA (US)

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This is commission-based, but it is an amazing test of your skill and will help to guide your career path. They also have a career fair during an amazing training session in North Carolina and gives a good opportunity to network.

Cons

This involves long hours and low pay; and sometimes your experience varies depending on your teammates.

Good experience

I worked at AroundCampus full-time

Pros

Awesome training week, good experience with sales, customer service, etc.

Cons

Door to door sales, rejection, driving around in own vehicle, this job is good if you plan on staying in sales.

Low pay but a great resume builder

Former Employee - Intern in Eugene, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Eugene, OR (US)

I worked at AroundCampus full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Looks great on your resume
    Learn a lot about sales
    Work with fun people your age
    Payed training in UNC is fun

Cons

Low Pay
    Not a lot of help from management
    Success could be determined by your territory your group chooses

Difficult, but learned a lot and got a lot of experience.

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You are able to work closely with a sales team and bounce ideas off of each other. Furthermore it teaches you to become comfortable in an uncomfortable situation and become more extraverted.

Cons

The job itself is tiring and draining. You are doing door to door sales so you hear a lot of "no's." It seems the company is confused about their own culture. Many managers switch between the role of manager and that of a friend.

Invest less in the interns and the selling and more in the product. The product was very difficult to sell because it was not moving with the times and innovative.

Most challenging yet rewarding--great management.

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Santa Cruz, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Santa Cruz, CA (US)

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome management and team/friends, get to meet business owners and make friends, get to be very independent. Learning a lot from rejections/meeting people.

Cons

Internship--so not a lot of pay. Sometimes negativity from people can discourage you since there are a lot of rejections. If you work really hard you'll get more out of it.

Excellent learning experience

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Fresno, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Fresno, CA (US)

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Outstanding management and they are constantly striving to uplift the interns in times of low productivity. In the few months of this internship you will learn more than an entire year in the classroom.

Cons

Gas is going to kill you! Although it is a paid internship, it doesn't do much to offset all the miles you will put on your car.

It's alright

Current Employee - Sales Team Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Team Leader

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-professional experience
    -training program
    -leadership skills
    -networking
    -references
    -looks good on resume
    -sales experience
    -career opportunities

Cons

-this is the hardest product to sell, no one wants it. I feel like I am cheating people out of their money
    -long hours
    -must do work on your own time in the evening ( a lot of work ) to be successful
    -you basically will not make any money, in fact I have actually lost money on this internship
    -cold calls
    -training is unorganized
    -renewals hate our product and they have been sure to let everyone know
    -you are responsible for your own taxes
    -your weekly pay is taken out of any commission that you earn leaving you with basically nothing

-pay for gas, or at least pay minimum wage, or maybe even a new set of tires
    -be more organized
    -start the internship before campus special beats us to every business in town
    -the planner is dying out, come up with another option

Depends on how hard you apply yourself.

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You really learn a lot about yourself and how hard you work because this is the whole internship. Nobody is going to be with you babysitting you throughout the job. It all depends on what kind of work you put in. If you work really hard, you will get the return. Once you are comfortable in the field, the internship can get fun especially since you are literally just talking to new businesses and new people everyday.

Training was a pretty big part of why I decided to take this internship. Flying a week out to UNC Chapel Hill was awesome. Everybody that attended training all had the same mindset: have fun. Training was mainly memorizing scripts and presentations in the day time and free time at night.

15% commission; work hard, get paid. You get a $200 in advance every week. Make sure you understand they pay before accepting this internship.

Everybody in the company is willing to help and very nice.

Cons

After just a week of practicing a script at training, you are pretty much just expected to go out and sell.

Your typical day will just be going business to business talking to the decision makers of businesses.

Training was unorganized and just messy. They've been around for 40 years or so now, management should probably figure out how to get everybody to/from training properly.

THE TRAINING DAYS ARE LONG. You have to meet up every day at 8am, presentations until 1 hour lunch at 12pm, then training sessions until around 5pm, dinner break for about 2 hours, meet back up with region and more training until whenever the session would be done ( around 10pm). We are talking about 8am to 10pm with 3 hours of break for around 6 days and no pay.

There is an issue with semester schools and quarter schools or there's a problem with bigger schools and smaller schools. If a smaller school doesn't have that many sales reps, or they need more time to break out of that sales shell, it'll be pretty hard to recover sales since there are competitors in the college advertising market. Usually the managers typically will help out the bigger schools first so smaller colleges will neglected until the problems arise.

Not worth it

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I will try and say something nice here...

-Gain Experience: as much as it absolutely sucks you do gain experience. It helped me land a job for after the program was over. The guy who interviewed me at my new job could not believe I actually did what I did (because it is so terrible). Also, once you are done with this, most jobs will be a breath of fresh air to you.
    -Sales foundation (kind of): since this is the bottom of the bottom for sales jobs (all cold calling with an outdated product), you are learning very quickly how frustrating sales is. You constantly told no. However, if you want to go into sales you do learn basic sales skills such as how to build professional rapport, territory and time management, prospecting, how to find the right decision marker, and how to close down accounts.
    -Set you own schedule (can also be a CON depending on the type of worker you are): extreme self motivation is very important. And I mean extreme. You only see your team (co-workers) twice a day at morning and afternoon meetings for 30 mins. The rest of the day you are ALONE and do not have a set structured schedule provided by the managers telling you where to go, what to say, etc. That is up to you. If you like tasks and structure, do not take this job. It is one of the many reasons I did not like it. It never really felt like a job to me.

Cons

Let me try and keep this short

-Cold Calling: you come in with zero leads. NOT A SINGLE ONE. You try and divide your town up into territories amongst your team members the best that you can and hope for the best. You walk into 30+ businesses a day looking for someone who can make a decision on advertising with the platform to present it to them. It is very hard a lot of times to find or get in contact with the decision maker. You are literally a door-to-door solicitor. In fact, many places have no soliciting signs. I was told by management SEVERAL TIMES to go into these places anyways. Really? That is just disrespectful, bad business, and speaks volumes about this company in my opinion. Cold calling like this gets exhausting, especially if you have to walk around a lot in 90+ degree weather in hot clothes.
    -Compensation: YOU are the one who makes all the money for this company. YOU are the one who works 40+ hours a week to bust your tail for them. How do they thank you? With a nice $200/week check. Do the math, its around $4 an hour. They like to say "Well, we are one of the few paid internships!" Yes, well most companies do not fully rely on their interns for all of their profit. Most internships are very project based and solely for the purpose of gaining experience. The company is not dependent on the intern.That is why most of them are not paid. However, this is a different situation. In this case the company is VERY dependent on the interns. WE are the ones making you all of your money. PAY US MORE. It is absurd and people should be pissed.
    -"Scamy" vibe/ cheesy motivational tactics: Constant pumping of motivational videos and quotes and dumb cheesy sayings. Do not buy into it. They know you are a work slave for them and try and mask it with this. It just reinforces the "scam" vibe that the company has to me.
    -Training: Aka summer camp for freshman orientation. This is what that week felt like. I was older than half of the managers there and was talked to like a 16 year old at camp. It was very unorganized, and just flat out annoying. Someone on here described it as a "pep rally to get hooked into their scheming ways" and that is very accurate. It almost felt like a week long brainwashing session. It was very spooky almost to see a lot of people get so into it. They make you memorize a script (which you quickly ditch out in the field because a rehearsed scripted sales person is very weird and not efficient) and I would literally walk around the dorm at 2am and see people in the hallways, stairwells, etc reciting it to themselves over and over. It was like a weird brainwashed mental institution. Thankfully, I never brought into any of it. It also felt like a weird evangelical "come to jesus" conference. So many testimonials about how wonderful AroundCampus is. Enough of the comparisons, you get the point here (hopefully).
    -The product: Ad space in a college day planner/directory. They also have a website and app that nobody has ever heard of (at least in my market). The majority of business owners in your territory are smart enough to see that this is not a great way to advertise and will honestly tell you so. It is hard to battle their objections when you AGREE with them deep down. The company likes to act like every business needs this platform. Many businesses are straying away from print advertisement as they feel it is outdated. Students do not use the planners/directories much anymore at all. Lots of business owners will ask their student workers and customers if they have ever used one or seen one. Guess what the answer is 99% of the time? "Nope". Multiple times semi-interested businesses owners ended up telling me no after doing this. Smart on their part honestly.
    -Market Dependent: This is a BIG one. Almost all of the top performing markets were all smaller college towns where the local businesses DEPEND on the college around them for business. In larger city markets, this is not the case at all. In some towns, the businesses do not care about the college, especially in large tourist cities. Management was not very understanding of this and would just say that "every market has objections". While this is true, some markets have it way worse than others. This platform does not work everywhere. Accept it.

Honestly, while it is a decent way to learn the foundation of sales and gain some experience, it just is not worth it. The cons much outweigh the pros. So many people quit during the summer, management is annoying at times, and the company simply just does not have good ethics. I witnessed management be flat out RUDE to owners at times when trying to fight their objections. That is the AroundCampus way! "Everyone needs this product and you are dumb if you do not buy it!" All it did was push them away further. Good luck using that sales tactic in the real world.

Please eliminate under performing markets. There are markets that consistently under perform. After years of this, have you maybe ever even thought that this could be the market? That this product does not succeed everywhere? Take a look at your top performing markets and compare them to the ones that do poorly. PULL OUT of the under performing ones. Do not continue to stay in them and keep blaming the poor performance on the interns. That is not good business at all. Instead, enter markets that are similar to top performing ones. JUST AN IDEA.