AroundCampus Reviews

Updated 22 April 2015
249 reviews filtered by

Life Changing Opportunity!

Current Intern - Outside Sales Representative in Ann Arbor, MI (US)
    Current Intern - Outside Sales Representative in Ann Arbor, MI (US)

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-network with local business in your campus community
    -learn the resposibilities and gain knowledge of operating a local business
    -real world experience that you cannot get anywhere else
    -learn how to become a salesperson and gain marketing skills
    -immense personal growth through this internship, regardless of success
    -strong community and support system built within team work
    -paid internship, guaranteed salary and beyond this is up to you how much you make (based on sales)
    -you can control how much time (i.e. success) you want to put into the summer

Cons

-challenging and demanding at times
    -emotional highs and lows of the sales process
    -requires strong organization skills, strategy, persistence, and personability
    -sales is not always a natural process for all, can be much harder for others

Toughest Internship Out There...but Beyond Worth It

Current Intern - Outside Sales Representative in Memphis, TN (US)
    Current Intern - Outside Sales Representative in Memphis, TN (US)

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Extensive training in Chapel Hill, NC. As a marketing major, I learned more during this week than in most of my classes.
    I set my own schedule. Management comes to town weekly to provide coaching but I'm allowed the freedom to go out and schedule my own meetings and be my own boss.
    I wasn't left on my own, though, after training because I could call my manager anytime (day or night) and he helped me out.
    Really useful getting to meet different business owners and get to know how they run their businesses.
    Daily webinar with the president of the company.
    The Career Partners reaching out with job opportunities (or if you find a job with someone else your manager will help you get a job)

Cons

Rejection is tough...I had to meet with businesses 5-6 times before they would say yes.
    When I heard my sales goal, it seemed impossible...but once we broke it down among my teammates and the days/weeks of the summer...it became clear just how possible it was.
    All of the career partners are sales jobs

Incredible Internship Opportunity

Current Intern - Outside Sales Representative in Slippery Rock, PA (US)
    Current Intern - Outside Sales Representative in Slippery Rock, PA (US)

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot from training
    Great job experience
    Received a lot of help/encouragment from management
    Looks great on a resume

Cons

Internship, not a lot of pay
    Sometimes its a tough sell and you need to stay motivated

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

Best experience you can get while in college

Former Intern - Sales Team Leader
    Former Intern - Sales Team Leader

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The training you are put through. They fly you out to UNC Chapel Hill for a week long sales training conference. You meet people from all over the country and network a ton. Their connections to outside companies as well is perfect for after graduation

Cons

The content you sell is rarely used, so as far as morality goes, it is hard to tell someone to spend $1000 with you.

Summer Intern Experience

Current Intern - Sales Associate
    Current Intern - Sales Associate

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The training program is a five day extensive sales academy that prepares you as best it can for the business to business cold calls you will be preforming on a day to day basis all summer. The training and then implementing it helped me grow personally and professionally.

Cons

The AroundCampus Product could use some work. I didn't believe in the product I was selling.

Advice to Management

Find a way to improve the product, so that the companies using it actually see results.

7. Hard work but worth it

Former Intern - Sales Representative in Memphis, TN (US)
    Former Intern - Sales Representative in Memphis, TN (US)

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The overall experience was super challenging but it also helped me to gain some real world work experience. The training week was so fun but still prepared me for the job. Taught me a lot about how to conduct myself in business meetings and my interview skills really benefited.

Cons

Its a hard hard job. Also they don't allow you to have any vacation days (which in the summer is kinda a big deal for family time) and the pay was not explained as well as it could have been.

Advice to Management

Try to understand that towards the end of the summer, you've almost run out of businesses to talk to and in some areas a "Hard No" can't be turned into a yes.

Great Internship Opportunity

Current Intern - Inside Sales in Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Current Intern - Inside Sales in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, great learning opportunity, and a great atmosphere makes this a top place for someone who is interested in getting into sales and needs some experience.

Cons

Some of the tasks can be a little mundane sometimes. However, you are essentially helping out the bigger executives to make money so whatever you do is really important to the company.

If you work hard, it really pays off

Former Intern - Outside Sales Representative
    Former Intern - Outside Sales Representative

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-You learn a lot about sales and if you want to do it.
    -You get to work with peers who do the same job all over the country.
    -Management is always willing to help.
    -The envirnment is fun, you go to a week long training in North Carolina and it's all paid for...great food.
    -If you do good, and show that you tried, you will 100% get recruited from large companies all over the U.S. after you graduate.
    -If you work hard and can keep going after hearing no 100 times you will be succesfull. The only reason interns didn't do good was because they would give up and only make about 5-10 sales calls in the end because the job is draining.
    -Management is young and fun. All of the regional supervisors (they overlook all the interns) have done the internship before so they can all relate to some point.
    -After my internship I got recruited by 3 major companies and they all offer a very high salary and promising movement within the company.

Cons

-You work a lot, and dont get payed that much. $200/week.
    -You drive around a lot and don't get compensated for mileage.
    -Most business owners do not see the value in the product. (in my market) I made around 30+ cold calls a day and I would say that 90% of them resulted in rejection.
    -They set weekly/summer goals that seem impossible at some schools.
    -I kepy in contact with a lot of interns and they didn't like the intership, some really did though. The ones who worked hard made a lot of money because once you hit a certain dollar amount you do receive commission.
    -You get a list of renewal sales, businesses that payed for advertising the year before, and they are hit or miss. I didn't renew one coupon the whole summer becuase the business owners never saw one come through the door.

Advice to Management

-You might need to tweek your product in some markets. Most of this businesses had already done the advertising and said it didn't work.
    -I asked probably 20 of my friends if they ever used or heard of the directory/planner and no one knew what I was talking about.

10. Internship ONLY for sales people

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Yeah, if you are a sales person, this is the perfect internship for you. They treat their interns very well. They will pay all expenses during internship training.

Cons

They say this internship help all majors. It's a big lie. If you are marking or PR, run. Companies will start contacting you only for sales. They will ignore the rest of your experience in your resume.

This is a great company!

Former Intern - Sales Representative in Dayton, OH (US)
    Former Intern - Sales Representative in Dayton, OH (US)

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The sales training that you receive for internship is life changing. This experience will help you learn how to deal with adversity and challenge you to function efficiently, in many different business settings.

Cons

The time commitment is quite demanding. This internship will definitely take up most of your summer. Also, the pay is low!