Arup

Arup Reviews

Updated Jul 05, 2014

Not yet rated.

Greg Hodkinson

Pros
  • Generally management is concerned about work life balance and do a good job in communicating that to the employees(in 12 reviews)

• Get the opportunity to work on some very interesting projects(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • There is fake sense of work life balance(in 4 reviews)

• The firm seems to have issues getting rid of poor performers(in 4 reviews)

Satisfying & knowledge rich internship

Structural Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsGood Knowledge sharing
    Professionalism in work place
    Friendly people
    Big shot in the industry
    Great place to intern

Consaverage pay not enough lucrative

Advice to Senior Managementtry to keep working environment more happy

Great people, great company

Structural Engineer (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsAt Arup, you have the opportunity to work on the most amazing projects in the industry. The people are brilliant, your ideas are valued, and you feel like you can actually make a difference.

ConsIt's a big company, and there's a bit of bureaucracy in terms of promotions, staffing, paperwork, etc. The hours can be a bit tough at times too, but they ebb and flow.

Amazing for grads (or Directors)

Environmental Scientist (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe graduate training scheme is as good as it gets in the industry. The project and international travel opportunities are abundant and renumeration was above average with regular incremental increases.

ConsEnormous amount of very mediocre middle grade staff (senior / associate) in the most crucial 'shop front' positions, however support appears to be lacking. All the good (and sensible) grads get chartered quickly, then leave. The directors watch their pensions and profit share grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more to retain graduates and make directors more accountable.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Friendly Working Environment

ProsIt was an enjoyable place to work and people were very friendly. There is a large variety of projects and you can find yourself with unexpected but interesting opportunities.

ConsThey do not do a very good job of clearly setting forth their expectations for individual employees and the yearly goals set can be highly subjective and ambiguous. Also, when the company hit hard times it started letting people go in ways that just skirted the edge of the law. I am sure that they were entirely legal in how they were carried out but just barely.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet clearly attainable and straightforward goals so employees can see a clear pathway forwards within the company.

Review

Structural Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGreat company to work and great reputation

ConsToo much mobility of staff

Positive experience, but glad I moved on.

Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosgood brand within the engineering space, good development opportunities for those willing to stick with the slow pace of progression

ConsTope management take too long to make decisions and essentially look after themselves during a downturn. need pay more junior employees better to keep the top talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook after your graduates

Good oppurtunity for a graduate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVariety of Projects, scope of work

ConsWork-Life Balance, Relatively low salary

Will give you back as much as you put in

Structural Engineer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsHigh profile projects, a diverse range of work and people, relaxed atmosphere. Everyone up to high-level directors stay involved in the design process, and there are no 'stupid question's in Arup. You work in small teams on your specific projects, and so can take real ownership of your work... but you can ask the whole firm a question if you get stuck - and someone will always know the right answer. We have a strong set of values we continue to stick by, and are employee-earned so can control our own work.

ConsNot the best salaries in the industry, but makes up for it by providing an enjoyable days work most days. You can easily get sucked into the culture of working late, but people do it out of choice because they want to make their work better - no-one has this forced upon them.

Great place to intern

Intern (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsExcellent work. I was able to get involved in hands on projects at a very exciting stage in their building development. There was also a very good office culture where everyone worked very closely together.

ConsAs an intern, there was a period where my direct boss was sick and during that time, I didn't have anything to do as the internship was lead purely through her.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on a more comprehensive internship program for younger students.

Great company but too many horrible young engineers

ProsGreat benefit plans high prestige. Great project a and social activities for all those young graduates. Honestly I can't stand them as they like to form their social circle and ignore the rest.

ConsYou can make it or break it. I've seen many ppl work their butts off but still can't mange to move up. You either good or not. Don't blame your slowness on your skin

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Worked for Arup? Contribute to the Community!