Ashford University Reviews

Updated 27 August 2014

2.5

Ashford University President Richard L. Pattenaude
Richard L. Pattenaude

Pros
  • The company offers relatively good benefits (in 26 reviews)

• Pay and benefits-good enough to sustain you while you actively seek different employment (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • It is a sales job regardless of how they spin verbiage (in 15 reviews)

• Of those, more than 100 were Admissions Counselors (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

University Advisor

Current Employee - University Advisor  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - University Advisor in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Ashford University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great stepping stone for first time job out of college. Good pay with opportunity to advance.

Cons

Lack of understanding from top management. Micro management at it's best! If you like to fear your position on a monthly basis then this is the place for you!

Only good if you're desperate for cash/benefits while you actively look for other jobs

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Ashford University full-time for more than a year

Pros

The team environment here is great. You see these people literally 24/7 and some even become your best friends.

Cons

Don't kid yourself this job is numbers driven it is all about producing students. They'll try to sell you that you're "changing lives" but all you're doing is roping people in to spend tens of thousands on an online education that most of them can't even pass the most basic class. This " university" does not care about its student or employees. It care about making a profit. There is a huge turnover rate. If you don't make your sales quota you are fired.

What management? More like babysitters who are paid to watch you and make sure you are always dialing and never off the phone. My advice: be more understanding when your employees need a break or are requesting time off and remember you once were in their position.

Once growing

I worked at Ashford University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

University is pretty well established as a newer for-profit school. Rapid growth led to over hiring early on and great place to establish a career for working in post-education.

Cons

Rapid growth led to over-hiring which then led to many people being let go voluntarily and involuntarily. Business plan implementation was fairly weak which led to bad communication and overall lower employee morale due to frustration.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best for-profit school I've worked for- I've been treated well.

Current Employee - Associate Faculty (Online)  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Faculty (Online) in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Ashford University as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay is good. Support is available for online instructors. Class sizes are reasonable. University is trying to secure proper accreditation to stay viable.

Cons

For-profit colleges/universities are under scrutiny for high federal aid given/low repay rates. Legislation in the works that might put my job in jeopardy.

Continue keeping class sizes manageable and meet requirements to keep federal aid coming to students (without which school will go under).

Good place to start career

I worked at Ashford University

Pros

Great schedule, excellent coworkers, good benefits, excellent opportunity to grow with leadership skills.

Cons

Company grew too fast and had to make severe organizational changes with personnel. Some of upper management have lost touch with putting the student first, rather than operational goals. I feel that by putting the student first the operational goals will follow.

It's just a job.

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Ashford University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits; secure building with gym and cafeteria on-site; can take months to get fired if you stop producing

Cons

The training focused on sales tactics and not on the programs offered. Pretty intense office politics. Parking can be bad. As an employee, everything you say and do is permanently on record and could haunt you. Pay inequality: many advisers make $100k but produce less than qualified vets who make 40k

You probably bagged groceries at your last job and still think 'library' is pronounced 'li-berry.'

University Advisor

Current Employee - University Advisor  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - University Advisor in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Ashford University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The only good thing about this place is the paycheck. Period.

Cons

This is the most mismanaged organization I have ever been a part of. They constantly change procedures on just about every aspect of the enrollment/advisement process which creates a continuous state of confusion among different departments, they have a history of lay-offs and lawsuits and they have one of the worst morale problems I've ever seen. Bottom line- YOU don't matter... Only your enrollment numbers do.

Get some people in leadership who actually know what they are doing. Send out an anonymous climate survey to your employees... You will be surprised how dissatisfied your employees are. There's a reason a high percentage of admissions has taken a stress leave of absence.

Was a great experience

Current Employee - Student Services Coordinator  in  Clinton, IA (US)
    Current Employee - Student Services Coordinator in Clinton, IA (US)

I have been working at Ashford University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Culture and drive of student services to help students

Cons

communication between staff and leadership, while evolving, needs more improvement

Admissions Counselor

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Ashford University full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Nice location.
    -Meet great people.
    -Decent benefits

Cons

-Don't let them fool you, this is a high pressure telemarketing job.
    -Highly unethical company. CEO voted one of the greediest in America. High student fees with a very low percentage of that money actually going towards education.
    -In spite of what you are told, there are quotas you are expected to meet. The catch is they are not allowed to tell you what the quota is, so you have to guess and hope you meet it.
    -No incentives
    -I was encouraged to lie to prospective students on multiple occasions to try to get them to enroll.
    -I once got called into a meeting with two managers and a director to discuss my posture and they way I sat at my desk. They wanted me to "look" more engaged as I talked on the phone.
    -I had 10 bosses. All telling me to do things differently, all getting upset if I didn't do it their way, all looking over my shoulder constantly to monitor every minute of my day.

Give your employees some space and trust they know how to do their job. Treating adults like children creates poor moral and decreases productivity and employee satisfaction.

Place employees in positions that match their skill set. It makes no sense to force employees to prove themselves in a position that is a poor match for their skills in order to get into a position that does match their skills. It's poor utilization of the skills of your employees and leads to a higher turnover rate than is necessary.

Worst Job Ever

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor

I worked at Ashford University full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of overtime (whether you want it or not).

Cons

The overall atmosphere, very high pressured sales but they get mad if you refer to your position as such

Treat your employees like people

Worked for Ashford University? Contribute to the Community!