Ashford University

Updated 8 September 2014
2.5

Ashford University President Richard L. Pattenaude
Richard L. Pattenaude

Pros
  • The company offers relatively good benefits (in 26 reviews)

• Pay and benefits-good enough to sustain you while you actively seek different employment (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • It is a sales job regardless of how they spin verbiage (in 15 reviews)

• Of those, more than 100 were Admissions Counselors (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

You never feel secure-never a day where layoffs are not discussed in some capacity

Former Employee - University Advisor  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - University Advisor in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Ashford University full-time for more than a year

Pros

2 great things-Great money as a University Advisor, and so many amazing and fun people. I made a lot of great friends through working there. I had a fantastic manager who was 1 in a million there, but still couldn't protect you from execs from above in regards to making you feel comfortable about keeping your job.

Cons

Constant talk about them eliminating positions, massive layoffs etc. You could never really relax knowing that you did a good enough job (to keep it) at the end of every day.

Stop with the mass hirings, and then the mass layoffs! It is so predictable to everyone and not a good work environment because of it.

University Advisor

Current Employee - University Advisor  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - University Advisor in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Ashford University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great stepping stone for first time job out of college. Good pay with opportunity to advance.

Cons

Lack of understanding from top management. Micro management at it's best! If you like to fear your position on a monthly basis then this is the place for you!

Only good if you're desperate for cash/benefits while you actively look for other jobs

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Ashford University full-time for more than a year

Pros

The team environment here is great. You see these people literally 24/7 and some even become your best friends.

Cons

Don't kid yourself this job is numbers driven it is all about producing students. They'll try to sell you that you're "changing lives" but all you're doing is roping people in to spend tens of thousands on an online education that most of them can't even pass the most basic class. This " university" does not care about its student or employees. It care about making a profit. There is a huge turnover rate. If you don't make your sales quota you are fired.

What management? More like babysitters who are paid to watch you and make sure you are always dialing and never off the phone. My advice: be more understanding when your employees need a break or are requesting time off and remember you once were in their position.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Once growing

I worked at Ashford University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

University is pretty well established as a newer for-profit school. Rapid growth led to over hiring early on and great place to establish a career for working in post-education.

Cons

Rapid growth led to over-hiring which then led to many people being let go voluntarily and involuntarily. Business plan implementation was fairly weak which led to bad communication and overall lower employee morale due to frustration.

whats else can I say

I worked at Ashford University

Pros

it was ok...goog while it lasted. Not for profit schools days are numbered now that tradtional colleges are going online as well. Why go to Ashford when you can go to OU, FSU, Rutgers just to name a few.
    i wish i wish they would only hear...im sure they wont...not could care less

Cons

its based on perfomance. other schools are not like that

get a real school

University Advisor

Current Employee - University Advisor  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - University Advisor in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Ashford University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The only good thing about this place is the paycheck. Period.

Cons

This is the most mismanaged organization I have ever been a part of. They constantly change procedures on just about every aspect of the enrollment/advisement process which creates a continuous state of confusion among different departments, they have a history of lay-offs and lawsuits and they have one of the worst morale problems I've ever seen. Bottom line- YOU don't matter... Only your enrollment numbers do.

Get some people in leadership who actually know what they are doing. Send out an anonymous climate survey to your employees... You will be surprised how dissatisfied your employees are. There's a reason a high percentage of admissions has taken a stress leave of absence.

Admissions Counselor

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Ashford University full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Nice location.
    -Meet great people.
    -Decent benefits

Cons

-Don't let them fool you, this is a high pressure telemarketing job.
    -Highly unethical company. CEO voted one of the greediest in America. High student fees with a very low percentage of that money actually going towards education.
    -In spite of what you are told, there are quotas you are expected to meet. The catch is they are not allowed to tell you what the quota is, so you have to guess and hope you meet it.
    -No incentives
    -I was encouraged to lie to prospective students on multiple occasions to try to get them to enroll.
    -I once got called into a meeting with two managers and a director to discuss my posture and they way I sat at my desk. They wanted me to "look" more engaged as I talked on the phone.
    -I had 10 bosses. All telling me to do things differently, all getting upset if I didn't do it their way, all looking over my shoulder constantly to monitor every minute of my day.

Give your employees some space and trust they know how to do their job. Treating adults like children creates poor moral and decreases productivity and employee satisfaction.

Place employees in positions that match their skill set. It makes no sense to force employees to prove themselves in a position that is a poor match for their skills in order to get into a position that does match their skills. It's poor utilization of the skills of your employees and leads to a higher turnover rate than is necessary.

Ashford University

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Ashford University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay was decent, okay benefits, co-workers were friendly, most holidays off

Cons

Frequent lay-offs, hard to move up

HR needs to have accountability and really find out why there is low morale

Degree Mill

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Ashford University full-time for more than a year

Pros

they do have a gym at the kearny mesa location and they have a decent kitchen. starting pay is higher than many other enerty level sales jobs

Cons

terrible leads, high sales pressure, they drink the cool-aid over there er'day. changing lives!...more like scamming people out of government aid!

Do it only for the money

I have been working at Ashford University

Pros

Good benefits, free Master's degree, steady paycheck. Co-workers were pretty awesome as well.

Cons

Where shall I begin? With all the accreditation issues, cliquey work environment and mediocre managers at best,it was tough to stomach coming to work some days. What kept me going were the few great students, a steady paycheck, as well as a free advanced degree.

Get some qualified people,not just your buddies that may not know the day of the week.

Ashford University Photos

Cubicle life

+ Add Photo

Worked for Ashford University? Contribute to the Community!