Associated Estates Realty

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jeffrey I. Friedman

Shady Company! Doesn't Care About It's Employees!

Leasing Consultant (Former Employee)
Westlake, OH (US)

I worked at Associated Estates Realty full-time for less than a year

ProsThere are none! They could care less about you as a person! They also will do absolutely nothing to solve any work conflicts you may have with another co worker!

ConsTERRIBLE Management! Management dictates to you what needs to be done, criticize your work, and will even make you do things that are not in your job description! Such as: if you're a Leasing Consultant, you will be made to go outside for AN ENTIRE DAY, picking up trash and dog feces on property, without using a bag....they will hand you gloves and expect you to pick it up with your hands! Which anyone in leasing knows that makes you miss out on sales and money in your pocket

If you bring these issues to upper management's attention, guess what? You WILL be fired!!!!!!

So unless you want to be miserable and have to live with working with an uneducated, unprofessional person, DO NOT work here!!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a better management that doesn't think they are still working for a Section 8 Property and someone with professionalism.

Also, listen to the feedback from your employees and notice that you have lost two (now three) employees in the past 6 months because of the poor management skills at this location!

Doesn't care about their employees

I worked at Associated Estates Realty

Pros-None as far as I'm concerned other than it pays the bills

Cons-Doesn't listen to it's employee's suggestions about how to help make the office run more efficiently
-None of the programs ever function properly, making your job frustrating
-They need to update their programs and catch up with the times..in my opinion cant handle the new market they are trying to get into
-Can't train their employee's, yet act shocked when you get a negative score on your video/phone shop, threatening to write you up and then posting it in a monthly email along with everyone else's score for the month for all to see
-CHEAP
-They want two person properties but only want a manager and leasing (leaving the leasing to basically: manage new prospects/tours, follow up, answer phone and emails, handle all new leases and required paperwork, filing, marketing, blogging, posting to craigslist three times a day, market surveys, account billing, renewals, managing current residents and maintenance requests, planning resident functions and the list goes on and on all for $12 an hour....can you say UNDERPAID!!! Oh and lets go ahead and give you only $50 for every renewal and new lease and split it with everyone in the office but we will give outside relators $500 for just bringing someone in.
-The list goes on and on

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to treat your employee's and maybe you wouldn't have so much turn over.

Very Discouraging company to work for.

Property Manager (Former Employee)
Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at Associated Estates Realty full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt is always better to have a job then none, no wants to sleep on a park bench or eat out of a trash can. However, don't be fooled, if you get hired, keep looking, you don't want to make this your perminate employment

ConsEverything will be going well as long as you are making money, I don't care if you have been making money for 2 years straight, the second you stop performing they are all over you, threatening your job. I am not saying it isn't important to make money, because it is, but there are natural ups and downs in the apartment business. I feel if the year ends showing a profit it is good, not here. Be prepared to make money regardless of whom you need to screw, employees, residents, whoever, you MUST make money. If it means you paint your own homes, clean them or shampoo them, that is what you do. When you sit in a customer service training class and hear the trainer say that "Good customer service starts with a budget" I knew it wasn't for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt doesn't matter what advice you give them, they will ignore it, but just incase, in the 15 years I worked in the business before I was hired by you I was taught that good customer service starts with the manager/employees....

Amazing Company

Property Manager (Current Employee)
Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Associated Estates Realty full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI love the quality, professionalism and standards this company stands for. The entire corporate staff is always available when needed. I love working for AEC.

ConsI wish they had more career opportunities in Orlando

sad to see it lose its way - hope it finds the way back

Cleveland, OH (US)

I worked at Associated Estates Realty full-time for more than 8 years

Prosoverall employees are hard working and loyal and made each other feel part of a common goal
individual employees at lower and mid level still value ethics and will do what's right even if its not popular

Consfor the last 4 years changes and additions in top executives and their individual goals has led to a very dissatisfactory path for shareholders and stakeholders
diversity is minimal especially at the top - mainly middle aged, Caucasian, Midwestern males
if you don't fit into the mold it will be an uphill battle - company has lost valuable resources by not being open to divergent people and ideas
a few of the higher level employees that set the tone or are held in high esteem are arrogant and disrespectful to those under them in hierarchy and its ignored and tolerated

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to the street - get back to running stable properties in markets that the company does well in historically
promote from within - pare down the top and empower the bottom layers
stop scape-goating and deal with the real issues

CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP

Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Associated Estates Realty full-time for less than a year

ProsOffice co-workers are nice, there is a lot of talent on the office level (but WAY underpaid!)

ConsEVERYTHING-where do I begin? Lack of business sense at the top, ok with losing valuable talent, no idea of how to budget, the list goes on and on

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees and PAY THEM! You underpay such amazing talent! You are losing big time! Get some business advice from an outsider!

Decent for a short term job, not a career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Richmond Heights, Cuyahoga, OH (US)

I worked at Associated Estates Realty full-time for less than a year

ProsNot too much. Every once in a while they will give you free food

ConsThe management likes to micromanage there, you will never be able to lead your own projects or talk about your ideas. They need to know what your doing every second of the day. No room for advancement, growth or training.

Advice to Senior ManagementDefinitely need to restructure, reorganize and start caring about all employees

Fantastic!

Career Development Instructor (Current Employee)
Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at Associated Estates Realty full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent opportunity for advancement in any given field. If you work hard, this company will reward you for your efforts.

ConsSometimes the home life balance can be a little difficult, but that comes with the particular field. The job requires many of us in the field to work weekends and that can be tough on a family.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Great Company to work for

Property Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Associated Estates Realty full-time

ProsGreat pay relative to other Property Management companies
Great company culture
Wonderful people - love my co-workers
Upper management knows what they are doing - the company is very successful and headed in a great direction

ConsSmaller company - not as much room for advancement
Can be "clique-y" - If you don't fit in, you are often overlooked
Benefits (insurance, etc.) aren't the best

Just fair

Leasing Consultant (Current Employee)
Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at Associated Estates Realty

ProsGood bonus structure compared to other property management companies, if you can reach

ConsProperty Managers are replaced frequently. Renewal prices raise so much that residents constantly move out because they have no other option. Hard to even get a new lease with prices so high compared to other near by communities, almost unrealistic. Property managers look out only for themselves and make you deal with resident issues when it's not your duty.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't raise renewal rent so much it's unrealistic in this economy for anyone being able to pay

Worked for Associated Estates Realty? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Associated Estates Realty reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Associated Estates Realty CEO Jeffrey I. Friedman. All 12 reviews are posted anonymously by Associated Estates Realty employees.