AutoNation

Updated 25 January 2015
3.7

AutoNation Chairman and CEO Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson

Pros
  • Also, the opportunities for advancement and promotability (in 8 reviews)

• Autonation Toyota provides a great work environment (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • We do work long hours; however that is to be expected in the Automotive Industry (in 19 reviews)

• Change the pay plan to screw the salespeople (even more (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Former employee

I worked at AutoNation

Pros

Best things about AutoNation is your coworkers. A nice facility and quite large all up and down Sprague.

Cons

Not a lot of training or support.

Good company to work for in I.T.

I have been working at AutoNation

Pros

They treat us well at corporate, free coffee (good coffee), various snacks and so forth. The atmosphere is much more congenial than I've experience with other companies and although there are politics it doesn't seem to be the only way of moving ahead. The work is interesting and management is very open to exploring new technologies for use here.

Cons

Compensation is fairly average to slightly below average, same with the benefits. However, I would rather be at a company I like making a little less than a company I hate. Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. There are so many people that love it here, they never leave so opportunities to move up are limited.

If anything, make sure your compensation levels are up to industry averages. Other than than, its a really great place to work.

good company to work for, plenty of room to move up.

Current Employee - Porter in Torrance, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Porter in Torrance, CA (US)

I have been working at AutoNation part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

opportunists to move up, pays well, people are great to work with.

Cons

hours are not built for social life.

Just a huge disappointment to work here... really not worth wasting time of your life you'll never get back

Former Employee - Service Management
    Former Employee - Service Management

I worked at AutoNation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A company that doesn't appreciate your hard work and efforts. Bust your back for them and people are laid-off because a new regional V.P. decides he is the savior of a temporary dip in profit. Can be better if the General Manager really cared about his hard working employees and the benefits they bring to the table.

Cons

Most of the employees are great people. There is a rotation of bad apples that would be better off working elsewhere.

Dedicated employees don't come around often, would be a huge benefit if they were appreciated more and not discarded like yesterdays newspapers.

The walmart of car sales.

I worked at AutoNation

Pros

Good work environment. Benefits and HR department are excellent. Job itself is easy but long hours and inflexible schedule can be difficult.

Cons

Long hours. Poor training. Manager will often send closers over unnecessarily who then steal your commission.

Great income potential, but too much down time

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at AutoNation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great earning potential if you are good at following up with customers and don't mind being pushy.

Cons

Way too much downtime, and the schedule is awful. Expect to work every single weekend, and most holidays. Some stores require sales associates to work "bells" twice per week, which means you open the store and stay until closing (typically 11 hours). If you do not sell, you do not get paid. Any draw that you receive is promptly taken out of your next commission check. Beware female sales associates: this field is dominated by males and there is strong potential that you will not be treated fairly. Thick skin is a must. Foul language at meetings seems to be acceptable to upper management.

Treat all associates fairly. If employee "A" is reprimanded for performance or poor customer survey, then hold employee "B" accountable for the same issues. Period.

Easy job

Former Employee - Car Porter/Lot Attendant in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Car Porter/Lot Attendant in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at AutoNation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you're into cars, as a car porter you can drive any you wish that's on the lot. Not too strenuous and easy to learn the ins and outs of the job.

Cons

Evening/night shift can drag on if there's no one there buying a vehicle.

Hours kill you, depending on the store it may not be worth it. Great training though

Current Employee - Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I work as a sales consultant for autonation Nissan. I have to admit , autonation has the most extensive training I have ever seen. They teach you how to make money on car deals, but still make it fair for the customer. It's great for someone that is new to the business . They are also a bit more open about time off than other dealerships(vantuyl, etc)

Cons

Depending in who is running the store, a lot of times things aren't explained for you. The training is good for the actual sale process, but as far as ins and outs... This are things that need to be learned specific for the dealership. When I started, all the desk managers expected you to know how to do everything. When you didn't, you would get yelled at in front of everyone(including the customer. One time I had a desk manager get up and leave when I was trying to get a price menu because I didn't know the dealer ads on the car. This would have been fine, except another manager said that everything is already loaded in the computer.

So much inconsistency.
    Again this is only specific to my store.

Also autonation only pays 1-5% on the back end. Van Tuyl pays 15%

Control your temper. Don't act like every question is such an inconvenience.

The Company is only concerned about results, not the people who have given their life to career there.

Former Employee - MB of Pembroke Pines in Pembroke Pines, FL (US)
    Former Employee - MB of Pembroke Pines in Pembroke Pines, FL (US)

I worked at AutoNation

Pros

Fortune 500 company with tremendous rescourses

Cons

More concerned about the results than the people who have dedicated their life career for the company.
    Past results do not matter, only what you did for them now

Pay attention to your most important asset, your people!!

AutoNation Photos