Autonomy

Autonomy Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Autonomy SVP & General Manager Robert Youngjohns

Robert Youngjohns

Pros
  • Free breakfast Wednesday, free lunch Friday(in 33 reviews)

• Nice office space and free lunch on Fridays but thats about it-(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has a HUGE disconnect between their employees(in 19 reviews)

• Hiring staff was difficult as senior management would only approve a new hire if they came from a university that was acceptable to them(in 18 reviews)

I enjoyed the pay, but was never trained properly & held to unreasonable production standards.

Business Development Executive (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGreat pay & benefits! Organized sports after work against other company reams here in SF & good morale amongst coworkers. Free catered lunches weekly!

ConsUpper management has a HUGE disconnect between their employees. The sales/BDA goals are extremely unrealistic. I have led my sales team in all my prior positions, but at this company I never hit my weekly quota, nor did 90% of my peers in my department.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your employees. Spend a day doing what they/we do & see exactly what we are up against & then set production goals based on that. REALISTIC, Attainable Goals.

Suffocating Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsWorked on a great sub-team with great people, which was the only reason I stayed as long as I did. Free Friday lunch.

ConsTerrible culture. Micro-managing leadership. Lack of product vision in areas with limited experience. Inconsistent messaging to employees. Ridiculous hiring guidelines that could be overturned at any point by the CTO at the time.

Autonomy, Great Company, Top of the line engineers.

Solutions Support Engineer (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA (US)

ProsGreat products, Great employees, Lots of opportunity to grow. Great benefits for Employees.

ConsNeeds to improve to catch up with competitors.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was a mess during HP Merger

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosif you had the right opportunities, pay was good

Constoxic company culture, very public leadership issues during merger killed sales cycles.

Genuinely Exciting Proposition

Marketing (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat company with a group of employees that are very energising to work among. I joined prior to the acquisition, and have seen so much change throughout the whole organisation, almost entirely for the better. A solid product set with a genuinely exciting story to tell. It's given me opportunities that I would never have had anywhere else.

ConsHP is a very big company, and that inevitably leads to some frustrations. These are probably less problematic for someone joining the company fresh, but it represented quite a shift for existing employees. It can be a lot to get your head round at first, but is something that you can figure out with time.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep betting on your people, and keep telling the big story.

HP Autonomy culture a 180. Great place to work now.

Marketing (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsA great mix: still very entrepreneurial and agile with the support and backing of the broader HP.
    Compensation and benefits are fair and competitive. You'll see more equity upside at a startup, but the compensation at HP Autonomy is as good or better than competitors. The previous leadership prior to the acquisition by HP was confrontational and rough on employees but great energy has been spent to turn away from that legacy. The new culture is that of collaboration, rational decisions and empowerment. I'm very comfortable here and expect to make this a long-term fit.

ConsCan be a challenge to get the attention of HP Corp. Processes and rules that apply to the legacy HP business don't always work for a fast moving software group/company. And HP Corp hasn't yet figured out all the nuances between hardware and software. Can make processes challenging. Also, as is the case in all aggressive software groups, the pace is extreme. Can create late nights at time... But the staff feeds off this energy... Really a pro for many of us.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake big bets. Take more risks in markets. Invest even more in R&D. Let's turn this into a rocket ship!

Software Engineer

Prosoffice culture, city workingmn environment

Consbad management and lack of communication

Don't work here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork from home (when not traveling). Free Friday lunch and bagels on Wednesday mornings. Many exceptional people work here.

ConsMany unhappy customers. Bad management. Unethical sales teams. Products not as good as advertised and lagging behind the competition. No true integrated solutions, just components that should work together but don't. Unpredictable travel requirements. No career development opportunity.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of all of the legacy Autonomy managers, they have no idea how to run a company. Reduce the number of products being developed and renew the focus on quality. Try actually using your company's own products.

HP can't fix Autonomy fast enough

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInteresting technology but for the most part, totally oversold. The existing customer base has not been served well and it is impossible to sell again to existing customers due to their poor experience.

ConsManagement has been slow to remove the old Autonomy guard. The culture is very much at odds with traditional HP. In short the many of the core solutions do not work or are so heavyweight that it takes an army of consultants to make it work.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntegrate Autonomy into HP SW - align the sales teams so there is not so much duplication.

A sad dream for HP

Sales Executive (Current Employee) Paris (France)

ProsA good technology. A real potential in France, bigger than the original market called the search engine.
    Great HP network.

ConsAcquisition by HP which doesn't know what information management is. HP doesn't know the Autonomy market. Will become a bad acquisition like Palm or EDS.
    Old products (WCM, DAM, records management, ...) compared to competitors and customer requests. Lack of R&D.
    Bad image at many French customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire relevant managers with IM background, not only excel managers. This way, they'll be able to set the right strategy for Autonomy

Worked for Autonomy? Contribute to the Community!