Autonomy

Autonomy Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Autonomy SVP & General Manager Robert Youngjohns

Robert Youngjohns

Pros
  • Free breakfast Wednesday, free lunch Friday(in 33 reviews)

• Nice office space and free lunch on Fridays but thats about it-(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has a HUGE disconnect between their employees(in 19 reviews)

• Hiring staff was difficult as senior management would only approve a new hire if they came from a university that was acceptable to them(in 18 reviews)

Not the old Autonomy

Business Development (Current Employee)

ProsHP culture is leaking in...good stuff, products are being reinvigorated, new product coming out, the analysts now like what we are doing and the world seems bright again

ConsLarge company, with the associated processes, but at least there are processes...not like before--everything was single-threaded through one man, the former founder, who wasn't very good at it and really could not get out of his own way, to be quite frank.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue on the journey of transformation, keep communicating and leading by example

Better since the HP Acquisition

Technical Consultant III (Current Employee)

ProsManagement seems to take more of an interest in taking care of customers since the HP acquisition
    Great coworkers
    Relaxed atmosphere
    Flexible scheduling

ConsMassive cuts to bonuses since the HP acquisition
    Software still has many core issues/bugs
    Software is often oversold leading to customer complaints
    HP is such an enormous company its hard to feel connected to anything but your home office
    Engineering is still very much a closed off world, seemingly disconnected from the reality of how the software actually works
    More of a focus on metrics as opposed to quality of work since the HP acquisition
    No pride in the work from anyone in the company
    Everyone I've spoken to internally detests our software, sales practices, and has no faith what-so-ever in the company (this includes having no faith in the HP parent organization).

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on getting the core software solid and bug free - its currently an embarrassment. This isn't a start-up company but the software quality is that of a beta from a start-up. Only within the last few months were sprints started for engineering - before that the release schedule would be over a year between updates. This is a step in the right direction, but without continued pressure its going to be far too little far too late. The only reason the company hasn't gone under is because of overly aggressive sales (the sales guys could probably sand to a guy dying of thirst) and our competitors not having much better offering. Basing your strategy on being just a little better than mediocre competitors is not a good way to inspire employee loyalty.

Not Bad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat culture in the office. Meg Whitman is a fantastic and visionary CEO.

ConsPoor compensation in terms of salary. Little opportunities for career growth.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

disorganized operation!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAble to work independently. Learning experience. Newly created position with many challenges.

ConsNo raises or bonuses in two years!! High turnover. When HP took over my position in finance became extremely frustrating with the micro management mentality! My position was newly created & an uphill challenge to say the least! Myself & two colleagues without little supervision made remarkable strides. The manager @ HP had zero experience & would constantly send emails reminding up what to do! So happy my position was relocated!!

Advice to Senior ManagementTo retain good talent you must pay well & don't continue to have the arrogant attitude "if you don't like it leave"! In my two year tenure I've seen top talent abandon ship!

Starting job here

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Cambridge, South West England, England (UK)

ProsIt is good place for student just graduate from university. It is starting job.

ConsNo salary increase , benefit is getting worse. Many people leave after it sold to HP.

No intent to work hard for this company

Principal Software Engineer (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA (US)

ProsKnew that working on litigation software was the right business direction

ConsDidn't treat employees respectfully. Slave driving parent company that didn't value the competency of company that it purchased. Employees felt they were treated as second class citizens, only be told what to do, instead of integrating with main company

Terrible

Sales Engineer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsPeople from companies acquired by Autonomy are descent people.

ConsHorrible management philosophy. Treat employees like crap.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo HP management...clean house!

Autonomy after HP aquisition

Account Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsSalary and Business card good medical plan

ConsUnrealistic sales goals. Lack of Corporate direction and message.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop focusing on the number of meetings. Focus on getting better quality meetings.

Nice Technology Company

ProsFull of smart people. Young Company. Good benefits

ConsNot very transparent. Long working hours. Management not responsive

The blind leading the blind

Sales Director (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsI met very smart and very loyal fellow workers who were honest and hard working.

ConsI met ruthless and unpleasant management who were dishonest and incompetent at their jobs. Some of whom should be in prison for the robbery that was the sale to HP.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are not the smartest people in the room. Listen to your employees. Respect work life balance. Manage collaboratively and not through intimidation.

Worked for Autonomy? Contribute to the Community!