Autonomy

Autonomy Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Autonomy SVP & General Manager Robert Youngjohns

Robert Youngjohns

Pros:
  • "Free breakfast Wednesday, free lunch Friday"
    in 33 reviews
  • "Nice office space and free lunch on Fridays but thats about it-"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Hiring staff was difficult as senior management would only approve a new hire if they came from a university that was acceptable to them"
    in 18 reviews
  • "upper management but they've all left since HP acquisition"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Work was challenging and rewarding. However, management is eccentric.

IT Project Manager (Former Employee)
Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Autonomy full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company has a large data center presence and steady growth.
As a PM, you get the chance to apply your project management skills to real-world IT projects.

ConsManagement is eccentric and acts in a secretive manner.
One day, your job is going well, and the next day, you're out the door without any explanation.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't withhold information from your employees.

Unbelievable Products, marginal management

Inside Sales (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Autonomy full-time for less than a year

Prosmost powerful black box technology for squeezing maximum value out of corporate knowledge and experience resources.

ConsVery little flexibility in opportunity management

Advice to Senior Managementwhy not build a search engine based on IDOL?

Great company, needs better execution after multiple management transitions

I have been working at Autonomy full-time

ProsVery knowledgeable and talented group of people

ConsManagement lacked long term vision.

Company being rebuilt

San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for less than a year

Prosmost of crazy behavior is gone, the people who are left are actually very nice to work with. HP is putting in place new management who care more about people and communication

Consstill a long way to go, some processes still not streamlined

The reign of terror is over!

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for more than 10 years

ProsNone. They bought our company and destroyed it. They didn't care about customers and cared less about employees.

The only "pro" is that HP have purchased us and everything is better. It was almost an immediate turn around in terms of message. Focus is back on customer satisfaction and it's very clear that employees are considered valuable again.

Everything

ConsI was always proud of how much my company cared about our customers and employees and then Autonomy bought us. They clearly didn't care about our customers at all. Everything was about "new license revenue". So sorry if you were already a customer.

They treated employees like a commodity that could be replaced on a whim. It was truly a terrible few years until HP purchased us and saved us from the horrible policies and behaviour of Autonomy.

Very unprofessional motivating workplace

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for more than a year

ProsYou can pretty much do whatever you want because your managers are rarely around and there are no repercussions for not doing your work. It took one woman approximately 6 months of not ever showing up to the office to get fired.

ConsThere is no reward for trying. They lie to you about bonuses. Only the people at the top get promotions or bonuses. Nobody is very happy. Your boss will never be around. Communication is terrible. There is absolutely no training. You either figure it out or you don't.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome to the office most days of the week (at least.). Learn the word "thank you". Don't lie to your employees about bonuses. Have a minutia of transparency.

Just get the deal signed - screw the customer after the sale.

Professional Services (Former Employee)
Southborough, MA (US)

I worked at Autonomy full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat vacation allowance. Free lunch Fridays.
Maybe HP can fix some of the mess?

ConsEverything else.
No review/raise process. Impossible to get promoted.
Unethical sales tactics like I've never seen anywhere else.
Support and services left holding the bag with a poor quality product that is next to impossible to implement and support.
Secret engineering team that nobody is allowed to actually talk to. You NEVER receive feedback on any bugs submitted unless you are working with the latest hot customer (the one with the most new business riding on the success of your project). Although I can't imagine they actually get any repeat customers. I think Lynch and Co. knew they were running out of suckers and that they had no good reference customers left and that's why they sold.
Everything is a fire drill - even planned implementations with a long sales cycle are staffed at the last minute. PS Consultants are shipped from one project to another in a big circle as each new customer becomes frustrated with the lack of knowledge and poor quality products.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep purging all of the Autonomy middle management and horrible anti-customer anti-support, anti-employee policies.

Amazing culture change since previous management left - bright future ahead!

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee)
Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Really smart & friendly co-workers
- Great line managers
- Great potential for growth
- HP Software believe in treating employees like human beings - such a contrast to the old Autonomy way
- Casual dress code
- Exciting products to work on
- Approachable senior management - any bottom-rung developer can go and chat to the CTO
- Free lunch
- Great opportunities to work with new technology

A year ago Autonomy was an awful place to work. It started changing on the day that Mike Lynch was fired. Let me have a little rant about him.... He had no idea how to run a technology company. He was a salesman, through and through - he even used to say "we're not a software company, we're a company that sells software". He had no idea how to manage people, either. He created a culture of fear, where whoever shouted the loudest (always senior management) got their way.

Shortly after he left, HP moved in. Since then they've forced Autonomy to do things properly. Product plans, roadmaps, not selling things that don't exist, only selling things that we can definitely deliver. Treating employees well. No arbitrary firings, shouting or forced overtime/weekend work. Heck, they're even about to introduce pay bands! Under the old regime pay was completely arbitrary and rarely increased. Under HP pay is linked to your job role, level and performance, with a review at the end of every year.

So, if I hated the old Autonomy so much, why did I stay for so long? I can think of three reasons:
1) The forced overtime cost me my social life. My only friends were my co-workers. That made leaving a really scary prospect.
- Forced overtime doesn't happen anymore, horray!
2) My skills hadn't improved. Autonomy never did anything properly, so I felt that I wouldn't be able to get a job elsewhere as I was becoming a cowboy coder.
- Under the new Autonomy, doing things properly has become a priority. My CV is a lot more robust now.
3) It was my first job out of uni. I wasn't alone in that, either - Lynch's hiring policy was "fresh grads only, don't hire anyone with relevant experience". How was I to know that real software companies were better than Autonomy?

Cons- Some managers haven't adjusted to the HP way yet
- Previous management left the company in a horrible state
- We're doing things now that we should have done five years ago... if only Mike Lynch & co had had a vision beyond "sell software make money" :(

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't try to short change us when you adjust salaries to match pay bands. It might cost a lot of money, but you'll buy a lot of loyalty by paying us what we're worth. A company is the sum of it's employees - you can't afford to lose the ones who are holding it all together.

Apart from that, keep driving us hard. We're really loving actually having a vision and strategy for once!

Sales Engineer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Autonomy full-time for less than a year

ProsCompetitive salary, benefits, high tech.

ConsPoor company culture, poor management, lack opportunities, lack training, high attrition.

Employee unfriendly

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for less than a year

ProsThis company was doing well on the business front

ConsThe culture is screwed up

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your people better

Worked for Autonomy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Autonomy reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Autonomy CEO Robert Youngjohns. All 301 reviews are posted anonymously by Autonomy employees.