Autonomy

Autonomy Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Autonomy SVP & General Manager Robert Youngjohns

Robert Youngjohns

Pros
  • Free breakfast Wednesday, free lunch Friday(in 33 reviews)

• Nice office space and free lunch on Fridays but thats about it-(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has a HUGE disconnect between their employees(in 19 reviews)

• Hiring staff was difficult as senior management would only approve a new hire if they came from a university that was acceptable to them(in 18 reviews)

Very unprofessional motivating workplace

Project Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsYou can pretty much do whatever you want because your managers are rarely around and there are no repercussions for not doing your work. It took one woman approximately 6 months of not ever showing up to the office to get fired.

ConsThere is no reward for trying. They lie to you about bonuses. Only the people at the top get promotions or bonuses. Nobody is very happy. Your boss will never be around. Communication is terrible. There is absolutely no training. You either figure it out or you don't.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome to the office most days of the week (at least.). Learn the word "thank you". Don't lie to your employees about bonuses. Have a minutia of transparency.

Amazing culture change since previous management left - bright future ahead!

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Pros- Really smart & friendly co-workers
    - Great line managers
    - Great potential for growth
    - HP Software believe in treating employees like human beings - such a contrast to the old Autonomy way
    - Casual dress code
    - Exciting products to work on
    - Approachable senior management - any bottom-rung developer can go and chat to the CTO
    - Free lunch
    - Great opportunities to work with new technology

A year ago Autonomy was an awful place to work. It started changing on the day that Mike Lynch was fired. Let me have a little rant about him.... He had no idea how to run a technology company. He was a salesman, through and through - he even used to say "we're not a software company, we're a company that sells software". He had no idea how to manage people, either. He created a culture of fear, where whoever shouted the loudest (always senior management) got their way.

Shortly after he left, HP moved in. Since then they've forced Autonomy to do things properly. Product plans, roadmaps, not selling things that don't exist, only selling things that we can definitely deliver. Treating employees well. No arbitrary firings, shouting or forced overtime/weekend work. Heck, they're even about to introduce pay bands! Under the old regime pay was completely arbitrary and rarely increased. Under HP pay is linked to your job role, level and performance, with a review at the end of every year.

So, if I hated the old Autonomy so much, why did I stay for so long? I can think of three reasons:
    1) The forced overtime cost me my social life. My only friends were my co-workers. That made leaving a really scary prospect.
    - Forced overtime doesn't happen anymore, horray!
    2) My skills hadn't improved. Autonomy never did anything properly, so I felt that I wouldn't be able to get a job elsewhere as I was becoming a cowboy coder.
    - Under the new Autonomy, doing things properly has become a priority. My CV is a lot more robust now.
    3) It was my first job out of uni. I wasn't alone in that, either - Lynch's hiring policy was "fresh grads only, don't hire anyone with relevant experience". How was I to know that real software companies were better than Autonomy?

Cons- Some managers haven't adjusted to the HP way yet
    - Previous management left the company in a horrible state
    - We're doing things now that we should have done five years ago... if only Mike Lynch & co had had a vision beyond "sell software make money" :(

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't try to short change us when you adjust salaries to match pay bands. It might cost a lot of money, but you'll buy a lot of loyalty by paying us what we're worth. A company is the sum of it's employees - you can't afford to lose the ones who are holding it all together.

Apart from that, keep driving us hard. We're really loving actually having a vision and strategy for once!

Just get the deal signed - screw the customer after the sale.

Professional Services (Former Employee) Southborough, MA (US)

ProsGreat vacation allowance. Free lunch Fridays.
    Maybe HP can fix some of the mess?

ConsEverything else.
    No review/raise process. Impossible to get promoted.
    Unethical sales tactics like I've never seen anywhere else.
    Support and services left holding the bag with a poor quality product that is next to impossible to implement and support.
    Secret engineering team that nobody is allowed to actually talk to. You NEVER receive feedback on any bugs submitted unless you are working with the latest hot customer (the one with the most new business riding on the success of your project). Although I can't imagine they actually get any repeat customers. I think Lynch and Co. knew they were running out of suckers and that they had no good reference customers left and that's why they sold.
    Everything is a fire drill - even planned implementations with a long sales cycle are staffed at the last minute. PS Consultants are shipped from one project to another in a big circle as each new customer becomes frustrated with the lack of knowledge and poor quality products.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep purging all of the Autonomy middle management and horrible anti-customer anti-support, anti-employee policies.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Engineer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompetitive salary, benefits, high tech.

ConsPoor company culture, poor management, lack opportunities, lack training, high attrition.

Employee unfriendly

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA (US)

ProsThis company was doing well on the business front

ConsThe culture is screwed up

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your people better

Fantastic software, dishonest management, lack of training

Business Development Executive (Former Employee) Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

ProsYou could promote quickly if you were good at "networking"

ConsPre HP acquisition: Lack of structured training, Dodgy sales commision scheme (paid late and alwayas trying to avoid it). Management of HQ absolutley tyrannical, unable to motivate employees other than with shouting and menacing

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire

Horrible employer, but with hidden pockets of sanity.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsJob security. Plenty of lateral job mobility for competent employees. Offices in many parts of the world.

ConsWidespread incompetence. Predatory management. Dysfunctional business processes. Starved for resources, because nobody is willing to spend money to make money.

Advice to Senior ManagementMutual trust and repsect is better than fear and bullying. You will retain more quality employees that way, and gain their loyalty. Loyal, competent employees accomplish great things in less time and fewer resources, and you are judged by higher management by the accomplishments of your underlings.

Very hands off

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

ProsA lot of freedom with your work. No pressure whatsoever. Nice Christmas party.

ConsMost of the codebase was pure spaghetti code and new grads are just thrown in there without any training or support. Most of the developers seem to be Cambridge geeks with no social skills. I can't think of a single time anyone in my team has greeted me with a 'Hello' in the morning. Very strange...

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to change the company culture and support your new grads with training!

Pretty from the outside. Nightmare on the inside.

Business Development (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Prosgood free lunch on Fridays.
    The product is well marketed and when it works can be a game changer.
    Great people at the worker level.
    great location in san francisco.

Cons*High attrition. The ones who saw the disaster coming left and the others who chose to stay are struggling to transition with little to no support through internal channels.
    *Low morale due to management ruling through fear and intimidation. HP executives unresponsive while all the talented Autonomy senior management is gone. One can only dread who is left to run the ship.
    *Resources and tools are either scattered and/or broken. Company does not eat it's own dog food. There is no loss of ironic laughter when hearing your co-workers complain about the need for "a better search solution".
    *CRM system is broken and it will make your work a nightmare if you're on the sales side of the company.
    *No structured training offered. Meetings that were labeled as training turned out to be just marketing updates with little to no practical use for those in attendance.
    *no standardized organizational charting. You'll either have to keep asking everyone you see or roll the dice with the employee address book which provides no insight towards roles and responsibilities.
    *The company will seek every possible reason to either delay or deny paying commissions to it's sales people no matter how much they meet or exceed beyond their quotas. I have personally seen and experienced the agonizing frustration of dealing with management when the subject of overdue commissions are brought up.
    *work is not merit based. The amount of political savvy you will need to be successful here would qualify you for a seat in congress.
    The list goes on........

Advice to Senior ManagementPerform a role/performance audit on the legacy Autonomy executives which have seen their departmental staff leave in droves. The ship is being abandoned and it's not because of HP.
    Pay your sales people when they bring in business.
    Engage the message boards and address employee issues positively or see more people leave. How can having such a high turnover of staff be good for any business?

Started out ok but no upward movement

Prosgreat people. good environment. decent management

ConsIf you work hard you'd expect at least a raise at a normal company. not here

Worked for Autonomy? Contribute to the Community!