Autonomy

Autonomy Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Autonomy SVP & General Manager Robert Youngjohns

Robert Youngjohns

Pros:
  • "Free breakfast Wednesday, free lunch Friday"
    in 33 reviews
  • "Nice office space and free lunch on Fridays but thats about it-"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Hiring staff was difficult as senior management would only approve a new hire if they came from a university that was acceptable to them"
    in 18 reviews
  • "upper management but they've all left since HP acquisition"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not so great. need to improve a lot

Intern Development Engineer (Former Employee)
Bangalore

I worked at Autonomy as an intern for less than a year

Prosaccountability
pay
less number of people and hence you get to know every one and easy to reach
cafeteria is good and cheap
some teams are doing great job

Consno proper work culture.
bangalore office is dummy. Every single order has to come from head office.

Good place to work

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros1. Technology company.
2. Get to work with some brainy people, get more exposure to innovation.
3. Good reward system for the talented people.

Cons1. Facilitate training programs.
2.No Proper appraisal system

They will try to never give you what you deserve

The Worst Policies You Will Ever See In Any Company - Bar None (Current Employee)

I have been working at Autonomy

ProsFriday lunches, coffee, good friends, bus pass, local managers are OK

ConsWhere do I begin: No support for personal progress - I have seen my friends ask for training and get rejected every time. You will never get a rupee spent for training or professional development. There is no training budger for India is all they were told. Bonus policies: they are the worst. You spend an year working way above what was expected and you get a paltry bonus. Then you are expected to stay for 8 months in the company after getting the bonus in order to retain the bonus! yes, you heard me right. There is a month lock in period after you get your bonus for working the next year and then 2 months of notice period to leave. HR/Finance policies are the same: You work from Jan-dec of 2011 and you get your promised bonus (part of your CTC) in the first week or april 2012. Then you need to stay for 8 months to retain the bonus.. so you stay for an year more working with no bonus! How is that for a kicker? I am told that it is even worse for managers and directors. Give it months, this place is a sinking ship and people are jumping ship like rats! This year, there are no raises (just like the last several years). So, enjoy your perpetually decreasing quality of life. I am getting out on April 1.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive flexibility to the local leadership to take decisions. Reward engineering based on what they deserve for their hard work.

A software company where employees will be treated as slaves

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Autonomy

ProsThe one and only advantage in working with this company in India, is you get work from home option with laptop. I'm not sure how long this will exists?

ConsMiddle level managers in India are taught to say "YES" for everything that senior managers from head offices wants to push. These people don't have enough guts to talk back with their opinions and finally had to play dual game with team members and managers,

Even if the head of local operations is sacked out from company, there won't be any dis-appointment with the employees, since he does nothing other than just coming to office daily

No annual or performance appraisal. It would be better to mention No appraisal at all in offer letter.

Though there were days, employees used to feel very good in being such a company, but after acquisition people felt very bad why did we join this company. Management don't spend even a single minute in the growth of local operations.

Beware before you join this company as it might lead you to a slave position

Advice to Senior ManagementNot worth mentioning it here, since top management considers Indian managers as slaves

Indian managers will not stop behaving like slaves.

HR policies are messed up

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Autonomy

ProsEasy work life.. (old iron mountain type) , no work pressure, like a government job. Nice building, good surroundings. Friday lunches, coffee.!

ConsIron mountain India is now called Autonomy India (merger), I am an IRM employee who came over to Autonomy.
When you want to leave Autonomy to go to a different company, be prepared to lose heavily. Remember the IC/RC bonus you were supposed to get? You will not get it any more: if you are in your 2 months notice period. And your bonus for Jan-Dec will be paid next mar/april. So if you want to leave before June 1st, forget the last year's bonus. The 2 months notice period is not something mentioned in the handbook of the company: where it is at will. It is just a HR thing!
Goodbye suckers, and thanks for all the fish. I am out of here in a week!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease fix HR and finance policies. Make work interesting. Reward top performers more often. reduce red tape and other overhead. Faster releases. Take peer and manager reviews more often.

Good

ProsGreat work life balance
Cutting-edge technology

ConsLimited professional growth
Absence of formal appraisal process

Advice to Senior Management..

Not the old Autonomy

Business Development (Current Employee)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHP culture is leaking in...good stuff, products are being reinvigorated, new product coming out, the analysts now like what we are doing and the world seems bright again

ConsLarge company, with the associated processes, but at least there are processes...not like before--everything was single-threaded through one man, the former founder, who wasn't very good at it and really could not get out of his own way, to be quite frank.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue on the journey of transformation, keep communicating and leading by example

Better since the HP Acquisition

Technical Consultant III (Current Employee)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time

ProsManagement seems to take more of an interest in taking care of customers since the HP acquisition
Great coworkers
Relaxed atmosphere
Flexible scheduling

ConsMassive cuts to bonuses since the HP acquisition
Software still has many core issues/bugs
Software is often oversold leading to customer complaints
HP is such an enormous company its hard to feel connected to anything but your home office
Engineering is still very much a closed off world, seemingly disconnected from the reality of how the software actually works
More of a focus on metrics as opposed to quality of work since the HP acquisition
No pride in the work from anyone in the company
Everyone I've spoken to internally detests our software, sales practices, and has no faith what-so-ever in the company (this includes having no faith in the HP parent organization).

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on getting the core software solid and bug free - its currently an embarrassment. This isn't a start-up company but the software quality is that of a beta from a start-up. Only within the last few months were sprints started for engineering - before that the release schedule would be over a year between updates. This is a step in the right direction, but without continued pressure its going to be far too little far too late. The only reason the company hasn't gone under is because of overly aggressive sales (the sales guys could probably sand to a guy dying of thirst) and our competitors not having much better offering. Basing your strategy on being just a little better than mediocre competitors is not a good way to inspire employee loyalty.

Not Bad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Autonomy

ProsGreat culture in the office. Meg Whitman is a fantastic and visionary CEO.

ConsPoor compensation in terms of salary. Little opportunities for career growth.

disorganized operation!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Autonomy full-time for more than a year

ProsAble to work independently. Learning experience. Newly created position with many challenges.

ConsNo raises or bonuses in two years!! High turnover. When HP took over my position in finance became extremely frustrating with the micro management mentality! My position was newly created & an uphill challenge to say the least! Myself & two colleagues without little supervision made remarkable strides. The manager @ HP had zero experience & would constantly send emails reminding up what to do! So happy my position was relocated!!

Advice to Senior ManagementTo retain good talent you must pay well & don't continue to have the arrogant attitude "if you don't like it leave"! In my two year tenure I've seen top talent abandon ship!

Worked for Autonomy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Autonomy reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Autonomy CEO Robert Youngjohns. All 302 reviews are posted anonymously by Autonomy employees.