Autonomy

Autonomy Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Autonomy SVP & General Manager Robert Youngjohns

Robert Youngjohns

Pros
  • Free breakfast Wednesday, free lunch Friday(in 33 reviews)

• Nice office space and free lunch on Fridays but thats about it-(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has a HUGE disconnect between their employees(in 19 reviews)

• Hiring staff was difficult as senior management would only approve a new hire if they came from a university that was acceptable to them(in 18 reviews)

The company is growing but still pay scale etc, need to be as per market standard

Technical Solutions Cons (Current Employee) Bangalore

Pros- less work pressure
    - work-life balance
    - cab facility, food for rotational shift

Cons- compensation less compared to market
    - quality of work
    - queue management
    - less fun activites

About the Compnay

Prosif you are looking for some sort of easy, something similar to govt. desk job, then this is the place for you

Consnot much opportunities. Fresher, avoid it as much as possible

Not so great. need to improve a lot

Intern Development Engineer (Former Employee) Bangalore

Prosaccountability
    pay
    less number of people and hence you get to know every one and easy to reach
    cafeteria is good and cheap
    some teams are doing great job

Consno proper work culture.
    bangalore office is dummy. Every single order has to come from head office.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore

Pros1. Technology company.
    2. Get to work with some brainy people, get more exposure to innovation.
    3. Good reward system for the talented people.

Cons1. Facilitate training programs.
    2.No Proper appraisal system

They will try to never give you what you deserve

The Worst Policies You Will Ever See In Any Company - Bar None (Current Employee) Bangalore

ProsFriday lunches, coffee, good friends, bus pass, local managers are OK

ConsWhere do I begin: No support for personal progress - I have seen my friends ask for training and get rejected every time. You will never get a rupee spent for training or professional development. There is no training budger for India is all they were told. Bonus policies: they are the worst. You spend an year working way above what was expected and you get a paltry bonus. Then you are expected to stay for 8 months in the company after getting the bonus in order to retain the bonus! yes, you heard me right. There is a month lock in period after you get your bonus for working the next year and then 2 months of notice period to leave. HR/Finance policies are the same: You work from Jan-dec of 2011 and you get your promised bonus (part of your CTC) in the first week or april 2012. Then you need to stay for 8 months to retain the bonus.. so you stay for an year more working with no bonus! How is that for a kicker? I am told that it is even worse for managers and directors. Give it months, this place is a sinking ship and people are jumping ship like rats! This year, there are no raises (just like the last several years). So, enjoy your perpetually decreasing quality of life. I am getting out on April 1.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive flexibility to the local leadership to take decisions. Reward engineering based on what they deserve for their hard work.

A software company where employees will be treated as slaves

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Bangalore

ProsThe one and only advantage in working with this company in India, is you get work from home option with laptop. I'm not sure how long this will exists?

ConsMiddle level managers in India are taught to say "YES" for everything that senior managers from head offices wants to push. These people don't have enough guts to talk back with their opinions and finally had to play dual game with team members and managers,

Even if the head of local operations is sacked out from company, there won't be any dis-appointment with the employees, since he does nothing other than just coming to office daily

No annual or performance appraisal. It would be better to mention No appraisal at all in offer letter.

Though there were days, employees used to feel very good in being such a company, but after acquisition people felt very bad why did we join this company. Management don't spend even a single minute in the growth of local operations.

Beware before you join this company as it might lead you to a slave position

Advice to Senior ManagementNot worth mentioning it here, since top management considers Indian managers as slaves

Indian managers will not stop behaving like slaves.

HR policies are messed up

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore

ProsEasy work life.. (old iron mountain type) , no work pressure, like a government job. Nice building, good surroundings. Friday lunches, coffee.!

ConsIron mountain India is now called Autonomy India (merger), I am an IRM employee who came over to Autonomy.
    When you want to leave Autonomy to go to a different company, be prepared to lose heavily. Remember the IC/RC bonus you were supposed to get? You will not get it any more: if you are in your 2 months notice period. And your bonus for Jan-Dec will be paid next mar/april. So if you want to leave before June 1st, forget the last year's bonus. The 2 months notice period is not something mentioned in the handbook of the company: where it is at will. It is just a HR thing!
    Goodbye suckers, and thanks for all the fish. I am out of here in a week!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease fix HR and finance policies. Make work interesting. Reward top performers more often. reduce red tape and other overhead. Faster releases. Take peer and manager reviews more often.

Good

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bangalore

ProsGreat work life balance
    Cutting-edge technology

ConsLimited professional growth
    Absence of formal appraisal process

Advice to Senior Management..

Not working.

ProsThere are many great people working here, but not enough. They are all holding on. There are good places to burrow in. There is no real pressure to perform, so you can have security, almost like a government job.

ConsThe technology is rotten. Management is a slumlord. There is no appetite to rearchitect, refactor, rewrite, so the product line is struggling to keep scale with existing client data/demands. Look at the timeline of the companies Autonomy comprises. All of that stuff is still around, like a museum of technology in the 1990s. Smell opportunity? Please! It will take you so long to achieve anything it will make you look bad interviewing for your next job. Money is only available in the wake of a crisis, so you'll be muddling-through. Good ideas are scary. Basic stuff you need to manage crises are broken too: the network, for example, is pathologically broken due to integration problems since the merger. There's more, but trust me, you don't really want to know.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease! ... as if they care. You'll never pay for the acquisition deal losses, so kick back and enjoy the ride, right? It will take another decade for clients to abandon Autonomy, so the gravy train will keep flowing and the decline will match expenses recouped through employee attrition. Maybe you can replace experienced staff with gullible recent grads? A cakewalk! 100% play-acting! HP had better buy some more (new) companies with products to replace 90% of the Autonomy stuff if they want to keep those lucrative clients locked in.

Good Overall Experience

Project Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsCasual workplace, approachable management, earnest desire to improve.

ConsConvoluted technological tools, rigid workflow, slow to respond to change and/or off the mark with industry standards.

Worked for Autonomy? Contribute to the Community!