Autonomy Reviews

Updated 29 August 2014

2.3

Autonomy SVP & General Manager Robert Youngjohns
Robert Youngjohns

Pros
  • Free breakfast Wednesday, free lunch Friday (in 33 reviews)

• Nice office space and free lunch on Fridays but thats about it- (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has a HUGE disconnect between their employees (in 19 reviews)

• HP executives unresponsive while all the talented Autonomy senior management is gone (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Overall Experience

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Casual workplace, approachable management, earnest desire to improve.

Cons

Convoluted technological tools, rigid workflow, slow to respond to change and/or off the mark with industry standards.

I enjoyed the pay, but was never trained properly & held to unreasonable production standards.

Former Employee - Business Development Executive  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Business Development Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Autonomy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay & benefits! Organized sports after work against other company reams here in SF & good morale amongst coworkers. Free catered lunches weekly!

Cons

Upper management has a HUGE disconnect between their employees. The sales/BDA goals are extremely unrealistic. I have led my sales team in all my prior positions, but at this company I never hit my weekly quota, nor did 90% of my peers in my department.

Get to know your employees. Spend a day doing what they/we do & see exactly what we are up against & then set production goals based on that. REALISTIC, Attainable Goals.

It was the most fear-driven, vampirish work environment I've ever experienced with inept management to boot.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I worked at Autonomy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Big name company lets you rest comfortably that you'll be paid. Bagel day. woohoo

Cons

Everything. No career path. Poor pay. Abusive management.

Get some experience in dealing with people and developing a more collaborative environment and lose the 'us vs them' mentality.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not working.

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are many great people working here, but not enough. They are all holding on. There are good places to burrow in. There is no real pressure to perform, so you can have security, almost like a government job.

Cons

The technology is rotten. Management is a slumlord. There is no appetite to rearchitect, refactor, rewrite, so the product line is struggling to keep scale with existing client data/demands. Look at the timeline of the companies Autonomy comprises. All of that stuff is still around, like a museum of technology in the 1990s. Smell opportunity? Please! It will take you so long to achieve anything it will make you look bad interviewing for your next job. Money is only available in the wake of a crisis, so you'll be muddling-through. Good ideas are scary. Basic stuff you need to manage crises are broken too: the network, for example, is pathologically broken due to integration problems since the merger. There's more, but trust me, you don't really want to know.

Please! ... as if they care. You'll never pay for the acquisition deal losses, so kick back and enjoy the ride, right? It will take another decade for clients to abandon Autonomy, so the gravy train will keep flowing and the decline will match expenses recouped through employee attrition. Maybe you can replace experienced staff with gullible recent grads? A cakewalk! 100% play-acting! HP had better buy some more (new) companies with products to replace 90% of the Autonomy stuff if they want to keep those lucrative clients locked in.

Autonomy, Great Company, Top of the line engineers.

Former Employee - Solutions Support Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Solutions Support Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I worked at Autonomy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great products, Great employees, Lots of opportunity to grow. Great benefits for Employees.

Cons

Needs to improve to catch up with competitors.

Suffocating Culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Autonomy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Worked on a great sub-team with great people, which was the only reason I stayed as long as I did. Free Friday lunch.

Cons

Terrible culture. Micro-managing leadership. Lack of product vision in areas with limited experience. Inconsistent messaging to employees. Ridiculous hiring guidelines that could be overturned at any point by the CTO at the time.

Was a mess during HP Merger

I worked at Autonomy

Pros

if you had the right opportunities, pay was good

Cons

toxic company culture, very public leadership issues during merger killed sales cycles.

Genuinely Exciting Proposition

Current Employee - Marketing  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company with a group of employees that are very energising to work among. I joined prior to the acquisition, and have seen so much change throughout the whole organisation, almost entirely for the better. A solid product set with a genuinely exciting story to tell. It's given me opportunities that I would never have had anywhere else.

Cons

HP is a very big company, and that inevitably leads to some frustrations. These are probably less problematic for someone joining the company fresh, but it represented quite a shift for existing employees. It can be a lot to get your head round at first, but is something that you can figure out with time.

Keep betting on your people, and keep telling the big story.

HP Autonomy culture a 180. Great place to work now.

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A great mix: still very entrepreneurial and agile with the support and backing of the broader HP.
    Compensation and benefits are fair and competitive. You'll see more equity upside at a startup, but the compensation at HP Autonomy is as good or better than competitors. The previous leadership prior to the acquisition by HP was confrontational and rough on employees but great energy has been spent to turn away from that legacy. The new culture is that of collaboration, rational decisions and empowerment. I'm very comfortable here and expect to make this a long-term fit.

Cons

Can be a challenge to get the attention of HP Corp. Processes and rules that apply to the legacy HP business don't always work for a fast moving software group/company. And HP Corp hasn't yet figured out all the nuances between hardware and software. Can make processes challenging. Also, as is the case in all aggressive software groups, the pace is extreme. Can create late nights at time... But the staff feeds off this energy... Really a pro for many of us.

Make big bets. Take more risks in markets. Invest even more in R&D. Let's turn this into a rocket ship!

Software Engineer

I have been working at Autonomy

Pros

office culture, city workingmn environment

Cons

bad management and lack of communication

Worked for Autonomy? Contribute to the Community!