Autonomy Reviews

Updated 16 April 2015
342 reviews filtered by

1. I arrived at the party late

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Plano, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Plano, TX (US)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hp has good brand recogntion

Cons

Compared to other software firms

No Strong direction or ethos
    Variable pay and reward structure seems fairly negligible
    Very bureaucratic and process heavy for everything
    Little day to day perks, subsidized food, coffee cups and etc

Advice to Management

Actions matter, talking about investing in the business is more then stock buy backs and layoffs. The software is lacking true identity and vision, it is just figuring out new buzz words to try to sell yesterdays news

2. High stress fast paced sales environment

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Autonomy

Pros

High earning potential and now part of HP

Cons

Disorganized management structure with high targets

3. Present Company bears no resemblance to its Garage Roots

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Autonomy

Pros

Great Benefits; status of HP

Cons

Disconnected Management; daily changes in strategy. No New Business DNA in the software business.

Advice to Management

Pick a strategy and stick with it for more than 30 days

5. If you want a paycheck, this is for you.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time

Pros

It is a paycheck.

You can work from home writing bandaid code to work around stupid bugs or talking to India or Chicago.

2000-era software.

Discounted HP products.

Cons

You can ask for a raise and they will give someone else a raise even after working 70 hour weeks. The HP name is why they are still in business.

Culture is divided by roles and perception. High school mentality with roles of geeks, jocks, PTA moms, and coaches. Entertaining if you stay out of it. It affects professional relationships when senior members take part in it and actively suppress others.

If you are a girl, you will have guys all over you.

Advice to Management

There is a lot of dead weight here (management, too). The team is not going to succeed at anything more than maintaining the product. The team does not care. The ones who would have cared are gone. Hire innovative people and eliminate the culture of fear and passive aggression.

Run, don't walk, away from Sales Executive opportunity

Former Employee - Promote Account Executive
    Former Employee - Promote Account Executive

I worked at Autonomy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Office locations are great.

Really nice catalog to leave behind during site visits.

Cons

Where to start... From end-to-end, this company has some serious issues. The hiring process was flawed though and through. HR touted hiring the "best of the best" from pedigree schools, which was found to be completely false when actually meeting sales team. HR promoted their home-grown CRM as being superior to Salesforce, which was horribly misleading... it was garbage (I would hope they have fixed that by now). Commission structure was grossly against your favor, where it was tiered by quarter and dependent on you making your quarterly quota to move up from first tier (which was lousy)... fail to achieve your number in a quarter, you fall back to tier one which is very low and you start all over again. Training consisted of 5 days, of which only one day applied to product group I was responsible for selling (Promote)... in other words, I had to train up and be evaluated on 4 days of products that I would never sell or talk to a customer about. Territory was geographical, but what you are not told until after you are on board is that the 'old guard' (the reps that have been around for while mostly consisting of folks from Interwoven, Iron Mountain, etc. acquisitions) get to cherry pick the better accounts with opportunities or any promise of a sale, and you are left to make quota with scraps.... mostly consisting of former disgruntled customers who have been burned by Autonomy and will never talk to you or accounts well entrenched with a competitive product. The "old guard" have it really good as they all look out for each other and ensure to keep success within the inner circle. If you are new, everything is stacked against you.
    Customer Service is horrible... The product rarely delivers on its promise, and the only way of getting support for a customer is to convince them to spend more money... If you can't get them to do so, then that customer remains at the bottom of the priority list for support. So many things were just so... shady... at the company, and it started at the highest levels and trickled down to adversely affect the entire organization. Problems with customers were left for you to deal with on your own, support from management was non-existent. When the news hit national television regarding the HP acquisition " "accounting improprieties, misrepresentations and disclosure failures", management's response was to continue business as usual and fiercely discouraged any discussion on the matter. It was swept under the rug and it was as if we were forced to pretend nothing was happening, even though it was national news... and this is representative of the culture and environment that stemmed through all levels and departments of Autonomy. Morale was super low, a common metric HR failed to mention during hiring process was that attrition rate was roughly 70-80%, but was common talk once you came on board and got the real scoop from the other folks who felt duped into joining the company.
    I summarize this by saying that I wish I had known of glassdoor.com prior to joining, as the warning signals of this and more are clearly articulated within other employee reviews. I didn't know any better and simply drank the kool-aide of what those trying to hire me evangelized. You will be painted a picture of a fantastic company with fantastic product and huge customer base consisting of top household name companies... you will be promised the opportunity of a lifetime with a potential to make excellent money. When you actually come on board and get to see behind the curtain at the reality of it all, it is as misleading, misrepresenting and as shady as the sale to HP itself was alleged to be.

Advice to Management

Company values and culture, as well as the approach to customer service need a complete makeover. This company needs a serious education session on integrity and honesty on how to do business, and this applies from the top down.

7. Calgary office is much better now that 3/4 of the dead weight has been laid off

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Outsourcing and getting rid of jobs in the Calgary office has really improved things. Only the losers lost their jobs and they had to train their replacements which I think is well-deserved karma on their part. As well, I like the fact that they canceled the waste of time that was the season NHL hockey tickets. And cutting the 24/7 support pay in half was also pretty awesome.

Cons

None that I can think of except maybe that there are still a bit too many employees in the Calgary office--hopefully they'll get laid off soon.

Advice to Management

Please lay off more employees. They are an ungrateful lot.

8. Horrible management, cool products

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I worked at Autonomy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary with a good comp plan

Cons

Targets where way above what was possible, no tech support for sellers. Customer service was non-existing

Advice to Management

Resign, but I guess you already did and laughed all the way to the bank

9. Autonomy... Waste years .. Never hit your Quota.. Products are outdated

I have been working at Autonomy (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, Nice People, Good Expense AMEX Card..

Cons

Waste years of sales growth.. Sell products that you don't believe in...

10. Autonomy went through multiple acquisitions and a lot of employee has been laid off ... not sure if it finished ...

Current Employee - Software Support Consultant in Plano, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Software Support Consultant in Plano, TX (US)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting products. With right / smart management can be progress in the future - with out appropriate management way to nowhere.

Cons

You will utilize wide range of knowledge and learn well balancing proportion of IT and Telecom.

Advice to Management

Management level very from one to another person. People (employee and managers) playing a lot of "job security" tricks ..

11. Great people, bad top management

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Autonomy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Technology was tops. Product training was excellent. Had a well organized inside sales team. Most employees below C level tops but about 1/2 the VP staff was among the worst I have experienced.

Cons

Divisions not integrated at the technology or sales level and this resulted in severe competitive selling between account reps and confusion among the prospect and customer base. Sales leads passed out on a favoritism based approach (to more experienced account reps). Very deceptive sales practices, with a lot of misleading in terms of what the products were actually capable of delivering. Pricing was also 'value based' meaning the more urgent the customer problem, the higher the price. That might be ok in many situations but what it meant from an account manager perspective is that if another rep was trying to do a deal in some part of the company, you could be blocked from doing your deal, no matter how much work you had put into it. Finally, I have never used this work before when describing the management of a company but the top/C-level management is truly evil. It took me 9 months to come to grips with that but one new member of my team worked that out on the very first pipeline review call his 2nd week on the job and quit instantly.

Advice to Management

Wow, where to start. Actually, they are beyond advice so I'll save myself some time here and not even bother.