Auxilium Pharmaceuticals

Updated 15 September 2014

Auxilium Pharmaceuticals President & CEO Adrian Adams
Adrian Adams

Unorganized

I have been working at Auxilium Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers are hardworking and pleasant

Cons

Not enough vacation time compared to other Pharma companies.
    HR is not effective

Some of the low level managers have no idea what they are doing.

Former Employee - Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative

I worked at Auxilium Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Great pay and benefits as well as some great products.

Cons

The company hired sales managers from outside without giving opportunities to good tenured reps. This is one particular scenario where the managers need to have first hand experience with one of the products as a rep in the field before they can effectively manage their reps. There are a few good ones, but there are also a few of the worst managers I have ever seen in my career.

Promote from within for sales managers.

Just to Pay the Bills

I have been working at Auxilium Pharmaceuticals

Pros

They've made a great effort in acquiring products to sell in the past 2 years. Auxilium has a stronger Urology portfolio.

Cons

Connections, friendships and internal favors have more weight than ethics, experience and doing right. Want to play against big pharma with a small pharma mentality.

Invest in people, look to learn more about their capabilities and what they can offer to the organization. Identify leadership at different levels that don't contribute and affect morale and performance of the employees. Train those managers or replace them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

upper management

I have been working at Auxilium Pharmaceuticals

Pros

The company has its pros. Good job. Safe work environment. People that work there are nice. The cubical area is a close family like environment.

Cons

Not too sure of the plans of upper management. Management in general makes questionable decisions on important matters releasing products.

Worked in a technical position at Auxilium Pharmaceuticals, at the Horsham manufacturing site.

I worked at Auxilium Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than a year

Pros

Small company atmosphere, with great benefits. Most managers are very understanding of the need to maintain a work-life balance, making this a great place to work if you have a family. The time off policy is very generous; 15 vacation days, 3 personal days, sick time and paid holidays.

Cons

Limited opportunities for advancement. Employees are expected to perform at the job levels above them for several years before receiving the associated title and salary. Salaries are slightly lower than comparable positions at other companies.

"Pay for Performance" corporate objective should be applied to all positions throughout the company, and across sites. While the Values at Work awards and gift cards are nice, an actual raise for outstanding performance would be much more motivating and increase retention of talent.

Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Medical Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Medical Sales Consultant

I worked at Auxilium Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent opportunities to move up. Pay was pretty good and I felt the bonuses were attainable. Management seemed to be pretty responsive to feedback from the field.

Cons

The main way to succeed is being in a territory with good managed care but that's pharma I guess. It seemed a big managed care win means that the team involved would definitely hit presidents club and areas with poor coverage were just dismissed as being bad reps.

Generally very positive though because of the structure it was hard to move upwards to new opportunities.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Horsham, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horsham, PA (US)

I worked at Auxilium Pharmaceuticals

Pros

Good benefits, co-workers were great, lunch was provided, and the pay was reasonable.

Cons

Poor communication between certain groups led to problems in how issues were prioritized, some of the equipment was antiquated, and promotion opportunities were limited.

Focus on better upper-level communication so that different areas of the company can work with greater synergy. Often it seemed that each section of the company was acting independently and didn't understand what was going on outside a specific area.

Not a culture of meritocracy

I have been working at Auxilium Pharmaceuticals

Pros

Experience in small biotech environment

Cons

People not held accountable for their actions

Develop a culture of meritocracy and stop nepotism

Wrong People, Wrong Emphasis for Success in the Pharmaceutical Development Business"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Malvern, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA (US)

I have been working at Auxilium Pharmaceuticals

Pros

For the moment, Auxilium Pharmaceuticals is still a small company in terms of interaction with managment, level of personal responsibility , empowerment and challenge in the job and (to a more limited extent), flexibility in working practices. The level of kindness and respectful behavior is unprecedentedly high in my work experience. Daily free lunch and company-sponsored fitness center membership (occasionally at odds with each other :o)!) are nice perquisites.

Cons

The emphasis on getting things done not just quickly, but in a ridiculously expedited fashion leads to mistakes, frequently serious, and an overall lack of quality in the end products. This has resulted in part from too much investment in Project Management and Sales (at the expense of investment in projects to manage and sell!), in part from "holdover nepotism" on the part of the company's founder, which placed inexperienced and/or unqualified people in key management roles, and in part from woeful ignorance on the part of past and present management regarding the whole process of drug development.

Success in this business these days requires a vision beyond the present development candidate. Adding indications, regardless of market size, will not support growth; patents DO expire eventually! Slow down and do things right from the beginning.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Medical Sales Consultant  in  Malvern, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Medical Sales Consultant in Malvern, PA (US)

I have been working at Auxilium Pharmaceuticals

Pros

The management is great. They say you don't quit your job, you quit your boss. My manager is an excellent person who I not only consider my boss, but he's also my mentor and my friend. I have an excellent opportunity for career growth and the company really encourages you to constantly educate yourself. The salary and incentive compensation can not only be considered fair, but they are very competitive. The benefits are great. Great insurance, company car, and corporate expense account. It is a very competitive work environment. You are rewarded and compensated for your hard work! Great place to work.

Cons

The 401k plan is not very good. They don't match much of what you decide to invest. The entire work day is spent traveling in a car (which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you are tired of office life). This can get lonely sometimes. It seems like lately I have been been listening to a lot of talk radio during the day to keep me occupied in the car. Since this is a "sales" position, there can be constant rejection from the doctors that you are speaking with. Also, this industry is volatile because it is based not simply on the success of the company, but also the political landscape and the insurance industry.

Communication is key. Since you don't live near your manager, and you don't work in an office, effecient communication is only done via electronic means. But other than that, my senior manager is one of the best managers that I have ever had. Honestly. The management in this company (from my experience) are competent, and genuine people. Take that comment with a grain of salt because I have only met roughly 10 members of management.

Worked for Auxilium Pharmaceuticals? Contribute to the Community!