Avery Dennison

Avery Dennison Reviews

Updated Apr 05, 2014

Avery Dennison Chairman, President, & CEO Dean A. Scarborough

Dean A. Scarborough

Pros:
  • "good careers oportunity ; good work/life balance specially in the European HQ"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Company strives for supportive work environment"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Used to have work-life balance, now it's just talk"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Upper management do engage at the production level to relate to all employee group"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It was good except some minor things

Gold Associate (Current Employee)
Bangalore

I have been working at Avery Dennison

ProsThe profile that Avery offers me is great for the carrier development and best learning opportunities.
It gives me the good opportunities to implement my ideas and views. The environment and culture of AD is good.

ConsNot getting the same platform as compare to US and UK employee. The global appearance of Indian employee in AD India is very less as compare to the Other which carries the same potential.

Great Profile - Cool Environment

Gold Associate (Current Employee)
Bangalore

I have been working at Avery Dennison

ProsIn this profile, you are treated with quite some respect and there are a lot of expectations
The exposure is quite good as compared to other management trainee profiles
Very open to new ideas

ConsThe profile deserves a bit more compensation than they offer in India. I guess the profile has good packages in Avery elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementStandardize the pay package for a profile irrespective of location.
Levy more responsibility on Asian nations.
Can utilize the GOLD profile more and in a better way.

Good experience overall

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
Mentor, OH (US)

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood training ground. Standardized processes followed. Fun work environment with a good work life balance. Some truly brilliant people work there. Can't say enough about the quality of my former co-workers.

ConsCan get trapped in certain groups. Not a lot of room for advancement in my department. Blocked from seeking other opportunities within the company multiple times. Had to move out to move up unfortunately. Smallish marketing budgets.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your people grow and they will stay.

supply chain coordinator

Supply Chain Coordinator (Former Employee)
Wuppertal (Germany)

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat work life balance. good compesation

Consi have nothing to say here

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up to date

Global dynamic interactive culture and Clear vision

Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I have been working at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 3 years

Prosthe company has gone through a period of evolution but feels like it has come out on the right side - vision is much clearer and there is buy in, staff are challenged to strive towards innovative thinking, challenging the status quo and effective execution.
A great company culture and place to work - it attracts the sort of people that genuinely want to do right and get along with others.

ConsStill a company that is reliant on relationships and institutional knowledge to get things done versus systems and process.
Can occasionally be too lenient when it comes to managing poor performance/people issues.

Avery

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time

Prosgreat hours for mothers and great pay

ConsCompany in Holliston MA is closing

Sets up employees and contractors for failure

Communiications (Current Employee)
Glendale, CA (US)

I have been working at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 5 years

ProsShiny, brand-new campus with a modern, open and airy ambiance.

Cons1. The company does not provide its employees with workstations or supplies ... yes, you read that correctly. No one has a regular desk to work from, they use whatever's available on any particular day. And, other than a laptop computer, they don't provide the basics to do your job: no pens, no notepads, no paper clips, nothing. That means employees need to buy those items themselves and bill the cost to the company or to their agencies. And, there is no place to store those items when you leave the office, so you have to lug them around with you. The company cuts its overhead costs on the backs of its employees - and we are painfully aware of that.

2. The company is implementing GoogleApps, and it's a big mess. Like the supplies issue, it's an attempt to cut technology costs by working in The Cloud. It has not been very well received, and when you're dealing with a mission-critical technology like your email system and business software, that is NOT a good thing.

3. Communication from management to the employee population is almost non-existent, mainly because of the GoogleApps issue (the company currently does not have an effective email system) and because the company leaders do not know how to engage with their employees.

4. Performance management is practically non-existent. The company has no formal methodology for disciplining or course-correcting employees or contractors. They just fire them or let them get to the point at which the problem is too far-gone to correct. Very loosey-goosey policies.

5. No cafeteria, and no eateries within walking distance. And, they strictly enforce the 60-minute lunch rule. That means employees tend to bring their lunches with them and eat at their (temporary) desks while they're working. It's a pretty sweet deal for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou really, really need to engage more closely with your employees - not at the VP level, but with managers and specialists. Dean, you need to circulate among the rank and file more. Managers need to be more accessible to their people and REALLY MANAGE, not just hire and fire. They need to be there EVERY DAY. Give us regular desks to work from - it will help establish greater consistency in our work products and build teamwork.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Avery Dennison

ProsFamily atmosphere, supportive colleagues, opportunities to grow and develop

Consnothing bad to say

Great Company to work for

I have been working at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompany built on innovation, with focus on sustainability.

ConsLarge, which makes speed and pricing less competitive.

A distasteful experience so far

Analyst (Current Employee)
Glendale, CA (US)

I have been working at Avery Dennison as a contractor for less than a year

ProsI legitimately can't think of any. I wish I could say I was exaggerating or being biased, but this is simply not a positive place to work. The only pro is that its a job. And in this tough job market you take what you can get. But even then I'd advise you to hold out a little longer and find a place you won't hate having to drive in to every morning.

ConsManagement is terrible here. For a new employee there is usually some type of process where you at least attempt to integrate the person into the culture and the workplace environment. There was zero effort to do this whatsoever, especially on the workplace process side of things. I shouldn't have to beg my manager to know what a standard report should look like. And managers who can barely communicate what they want should not be managers in the first place, because they will inevitably take out their lack of ability on the team and lower morale.

The new work space is nice because its open and bright, but overall its not enough to redeem the company. Its a bit far from good places to eat too, which makes even enjoying your lunch time difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because a person was good at their job and managed to not be fired for whatever extended period of time Avery kept them at that level, does not mean that person has the leadership capabilities to be a manager. Avery doesn't seem to get this, and for this reason has a terrible set of managers in place. One VP in particular doesn't even speak to his team directly unless through one person whom he has decided is his favorite. My manager has a severe inability to communicate what she wants, but is insistent on everything being the specific way she wants it. I've heard of other managers completely ignoring their team and then overworking them when senior management starts to ask questions. Its disgusting, really. Classic case of an old school company allowing the old school mentality to run it to the ground.

Worked for Avery Dennison? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Avery Dennison reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Avery Dennison CEO Dean A. Scarborough. All 187 reviews are posted anonymously by Avery Dennison employees.