Avery Dennison

Avery Dennison Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Avery Dennison Chairman, President, & CEO Dean A. Scarborough

Dean A. Scarborough

Pros
  • good careers oportunity ; good work/life balance specially in the European HQ(in 14 reviews)

• Fun work environment with a good work life balance(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Used to have work-life balance, now it's just talk(in 7 reviews)

• Upper management do engage at the production level to relate to all employee group(in 12 reviews)

Avery Dennison is a diverse corporation with many different divisions.

Director of Marketing (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGreat benefits. Excellent training modules that you must take advantage of

ConsNavigation and logistics of the company. Great if you can work your way through the layers

Advice to Senior ManagementJust keep the flow of information to the teams.

Great i lived the pople

Prospeople were great plant was very clean

ConsThe hours were long and early mornings

Advice to Senior Managementcommunicate better

A good company with very good benefits.

Software Developer (Former Employee)

ProsAvery has a good benefits package and compensates employees well. With locations worldwide, it offers employees a wide range of locations to work in.

ConsMany US operations are being scaled back or closed all together in favor of moving production to overseas. Management trends over the last 10 years were to commit to projects (large and small), invest time and money only to see the project dropped or never implemented.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time understanding the requirements of projects, the benefit (good and bad) to the company and the life cycle of the project, its ability to meet future needs.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

not sure where this corporation is headed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosbetter than average benefits provided. reasonable amount of flexibility, so managing work/life balance is better than most places. compensation is above average in terms of salary.

Consdon't count on getting your bonus. in the many years I was employed, I believe the bonus payout at 100% happened just a couple of times, not to mention the many times there was no bonus! CEO seems a bit out of touch with how to drive growth for the corporation. not a coincidence that during his tenure the stock price has steadily declined.

Boring place to work, nice people

Project Manager (Former Employee) Brea, CA (US)

ProsThe people were friendly, and the environment was fairly pleasant. I got to go home on time every day. There were many people who had been there for years or even decades.

ConsWork was boring, processes were disorganized, and office culture was totally unexciting. I felt myself wasting away there every day. It was so hard to have any energy for the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to create a culture shift that attracts young, bright, innovative people.

Good experience overall

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Mentor, OH (US)

ProsGood training ground. Standardized processes followed. Fun work environment with a good work life balance. Some truly brilliant people work there. Can't say enough about the quality of my former co-workers.

ConsCan get trapped in certain groups. Not a lot of room for advancement in my department. Blocked from seeking other opportunities within the company multiple times. Had to move out to move up unfortunately. Smallish marketing budgets.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your people grow and they will stay.

supply chain coordinator

Supply Chain Coordinator (Former Employee) Wuppertal (Germany)

Prosgreat work life balance. good compesation

Consi have nothing to say here

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up to date

Global dynamic interactive culture and Clear vision

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Prosthe company has gone through a period of evolution but feels like it has come out on the right side - vision is much clearer and there is buy in, staff are challenged to strive towards innovative thinking, challenging the status quo and effective execution.
    A great company culture and place to work - it attracts the sort of people that genuinely want to do right and get along with others.

ConsStill a company that is reliant on relationships and institutional knowledge to get things done versus systems and process.
    Can occasionally be too lenient when it comes to managing poor performance/people issues.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFamily atmosphere, supportive colleagues, opportunities to grow and develop

Consnothing bad to say

A distasteful experience so far

Analyst (Current Employee) Glendale, CA (US)

ProsI legitimately can't think of any. I wish I could say I was exaggerating or being biased, but this is simply not a positive place to work. The only pro is that its a job. And in this tough job market you take what you can get. But even then I'd advise you to hold out a little longer and find a place you won't hate having to drive in to every morning.

ConsManagement is terrible here. For a new employee there is usually some type of process where you at least attempt to integrate the person into the culture and the workplace environment. There was zero effort to do this whatsoever, especially on the workplace process side of things. I shouldn't have to beg my manager to know what a standard report should look like. And managers who can barely communicate what they want should not be managers in the first place, because they will inevitably take out their lack of ability on the team and lower morale.

The new work space is nice because its open and bright, but overall its not enough to redeem the company. Its a bit far from good places to eat too, which makes even enjoying your lunch time difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because a person was good at their job and managed to not be fired for whatever extended period of time Avery kept them at that level, does not mean that person has the leadership capabilities to be a manager. Avery doesn't seem to get this, and for this reason has a terrible set of managers in place. One VP in particular doesn't even speak to his team directly unless through one person whom he has decided is his favorite. My manager has a severe inability to communicate what she wants, but is insistent on everything being the specific way she wants it. I've heard of other managers completely ignoring their team and then overworking them when senior management starts to ask questions. Its disgusting, really. Classic case of an old school company allowing the old school mentality to run it to the ground.

Worked for Avery Dennison? Contribute to the Community!