BB&T

BB&T Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King

Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance(in 25 reviews)

• They have very good benefits and opportunities for advancement(in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Little room for advancement but it is there(in 12 reviews)

• no room for advancement, sales goals that are met are never appreciated(in 17 reviews)

Great Employees

Relationship Teller (Current Employee) Clearwater, FL (US)

ProsGreat training, good banking experience, great atmosphere

ConsWork to hard for minimum pay, short staff, no overtime. Too demanding on sales, not good commission.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to hire more staff for branches. Need to care more about peoples need instead of caring about sales.

A once great company and is imploding from within

@ Work Officer (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people but they are leaving as fast as they can

ConsNo room for advancement
    Focus is not on job well done but numbers/ revenue only

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to John Allison's way of thinking .....the current way is obviously not working

Stressful, a lot of change, no work life balance

ProsFlexible time, good leaders who communicate well.

ConsSales Officers don't adhere to rules

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee retention should be a top priority.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good and profit driven bank.

ProsGreat benefits; excellent pay. Excellent training program.

ConsCulture has changed. Much less focus on valuing people -- customers and employees.

RUN!

Teller Supervisor (Current Employee) Wilmington, NC (US)

ProsBenefits, Co-workers, Vacation time, birthday's off

ConsManagement, personal growth, pay, always short staffed

Advice to Senior ManagementPromoting from with-in the company, better pay, better management starting with the CEO and working down. John Allison was a much better CEO and cared about the clients and the associates.

teller supervisor

Teller Supervisor (Current Employee) Ashburn, VA (US)

Prosgood pay, good benefits, pay is ok

Conscant move up , doesn't give you a chance to prove yourself

Advice to Senior Managementyou should allow your employees to prove them self and not assume they cant do something and
    be quick to judge them.

Relationship banker II

Relationship Banker II (Current Employee) Wytheville, VA (US)

ProsBeing able to help people achieve economic success and financial security

ConsCan sometimes seem overwhelming with the work load

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. It's worked since 1872!

Great place to be and great benefits

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Winston-Salem, NC (US)

ProsThis is a company that is very profitable but has unfortunate suffered at the hands of government regulations. Regardless, it is very well managed and continues to thrive in even a down economy. The people are very nice, great work atmosphere, great opportunities to advance, pay is good, and the training is excellent.

ConsFor those on the lower end of the corporate ladder, advancement is difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within and provide necessary training, rather than hiring experienced outside people. I understand why you do it that way, but foster a culture where employees truly grow within BB&T.

Rewarding hard work.

Relationship Teller (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL (US)

ProsGood pay. Good hours. Paid holidays off. Good benefits.

ConsShort staffing makes it difficult to make personal plans. A bit outdated systems.

Advice to Senior ManagementLove working for the bank. Dislike the computer system.

Growing and enjoying it

Portfolio Risk Officer (Current Employee)

ProsMonthly coaching sessions, available middle management, ability to provide process improvement ideas.
    BB&T provides below average pay when looking at salary relative to the position that you have. However, the company compensates for this by readily offering leadership opportunities, training, promotions and challenging work opportunities if the employee is engaged. The company readily promotes talent from within. To me, this is far more valuable long term than an extra $10K a year. Besides the career potential, the leadership opportunities provide ways to grow and be challenged. In my 5 years at the bank, I've been promoted once and have had numerous leadership opportunities.

Leadership training for managers makes it more likely that your manager/team leader will have a basic understanding of personality dynamics and basic level of empathy. Employees have agency and autonomy--the ability, skills and authority to make decisions about their work. In most situations, management and coworkers treat each other as adults and with respect. Taking sick time or going to a doctor appointment have never been an issue. Neither is asking for help when workloads are obscene (help might not be available, but there is no stigma around asking). The work week of 40-50 hrs creates good work/life balance. After 2 years, vacation days were 15+your birthday off + 10 bank holidays.The company is transparent in its values and policies. Generally, co-workers are nice and competent. Most people are engaged in their work and many are loyalty. The bank has never performed mass layoffs when the stock is under-performing. It has laid off chunks of employees if their jobs become obsolete and they don't have the skills to move into another role. All of this together creates an almost work-family like feel.

6% 401k match with really low Vanguard expense fund options. BB&T tiers employee's health insurance costs by health level and the health insurance is generous for coverage.

HR department: competent from my limited experience.

ConsThere are major process inefficiencies, which many find frustrating. Way below market pay--pay for tenure vs. top performance. The company is really cheap when it comes to little things that make the work day pleasant and would show care, like providing coffee or water.

The co-workers that are not competent (below average, always having a bit of trouble, not able to complete tasks on time and by others standards) are not fired. One would have to seriously underperform or be downright disruptive to be fired.

Over the past 2 years, the bank has attempted to flatten the management system, consolidating senior executive positions and regions. There is less room to grow in seniority later in one's career, making the proverbial corner office not likely to be attained.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a little more willing to let people go that are a bad fit for the company, either because of their life outlook, motivation or skill set. This is particularly an issue with tenured employees.

Worked for BB&T? Contribute to the Community!