BB&T

Updated 31 January 2015
3.1

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King
Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance (in 31 reviews)

• Decent balance of work/life and good benefits with the company (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • In my specific role, there was not room for advancement (in 13 reviews)

• Micro-managing, unrealistic sales goals and high pressure from management (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

30-Hr Relationship Banker II (Save the World Worker I)

Former Employee - Relationship Banker II
    Former Employee - Relationship Banker II

I worked at BB&T part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Part Time benefits (insurance/401k)
    Decent Pay
    Paid Vacation
    Great co-workers

Cons

Sales pushy
    Lack of schedule flexibility
    Time off (weird system of vacation selection)
    Bosses throwing you under the bus
    Having to keep a straight face when you'd really like to tell the person in front of you "YOU overdrew. This is completely YOUR fault!)
    Horribly scripted save the world speech to new "clients"

Not everyone is able to be universal employee. Being a teller requires a certain set of skills that not everyone is equipped with. The idea that no means not right now is completely false; it means no unless I tell you otherwise. REspect your clients and be more clear with your policies. So many "clients" were taken advantage of because of sneek fees and it was usually senior citizens on fixed budgets.

Teller

I worked at BB&T

Pros

Co-workers & paid federal holidays

Cons

Working Saturdays wasn't fun; Paranoia of frequent branch audits from corporate.

The job was great. I'd recommend BB&T for anyone that wants a career in banking. Management really cares about its employees.

I had a good experience as a contractor.

Current Employee - Operations in Durham, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Operations in Durham, NC (US)

I have been working at BB&T as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The department I worked in had flexibility with hours and working remotely if needed.

Cons

It was only a contract job.

Great people and atmosphere. Unattainable goals.

Current Employee - Relationship Banker in Lauderhill, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker in Lauderhill, FL (US)

I have been working at BB&T part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy working in this company. Mainly because while they are a bank and the point of being a banker is sales, they really do try to focus on providing the clients with the best possible form of customer service.
    401k, 2 weeks vacation, paid holidays

Cons

Not all clients will have an account to best fulfill their needs... leading to conflicts.
    Branches are understaffed.

While I do understand that the bank spends money on training and guaranteeing customer service, they should stop charging such steep fees. this leads to bad word of mouth and conflicts in branches.

The BB&T Workplace

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

There is a healthy amount of work-life balance. There are times when the work load can be demanding, but for the most part if you can manage your own schedule it's easy enough. They have great benefits and culture.

Cons

Salaries are lower across the board compared to competitors or cross-industry positions.

Sneaky but productive

Former Employee - Teller Part Time in Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Teller Part Time in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at BB&T part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Productive environment.
    Good entry level skills training.
    Pay is better than most.

Cons

Management will crush you if you disagree.
    Old school thought process.
    Sales leads often already worked.

Clean up retail level and alleviate power tripping micro-management.

Mixed review as employee but a great place to be a client.

Current Employee - Client Facing Administrative to Wealth
    Current Employee - Client Facing Administrative to Wealth

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working at BB&T Wealth in re: my internal partners from Trust Ops., Commercial Lending, Financial Planning, Portfolio Managers, etc.

If you're looking for great Benefits, look no further.

Cons

Don't expect advancement or a promotion at age 45+ if you are a female... it's quite difficult. You might find the atmosphere turns unpleasant. Sort of a 'how dare you' attitude. Most of the client facing key players in BB&T Wealth are in their 30's (mostly male and a few female); except management, most of whom are mid 40's - 60's and almost all male.

They're salary offer will be a bit lower than you may expect... my suggestion ask for an extra week of vacation:)

to: Upper Management

I sought advancement so that I could have a more mentally stimulating and content challenging career. Also so I could make more money to provide a better lifestyle for myself and my family, save for retirement, rent a beach house for a week in the summer, enjoy my hobby, etc.

You are not giving women over 45 years of age opportunities for advancement in BB&T Wealth.

I'd suggest you add oversight so that your mostly male (mostly middle aged) managers do not overlook women in the 45+ age group. And you need to create a Liaison role where that person can coordinate with HR and hiring managers when they have an internal qualified candidate in my age group. You need to set clear guidelines and expectations for that person. Managers need to have support from upper management and the resources available just like they do when they bring on the younger person.

*I don't think you should rely on your recruiting team to assist my age group. I found them to be disinterested, indifferent or rude (not returning phone calls). I think they receive mixed messages from management as to what their role is. I don't think they know how to help my age group navigate within the system. I think they don't champion my age group well with internal managers looking to fill a position. I think they receive no incentive to be helpful. I think they have no oversight themselves. I think many internal managers pushed to meet goals are less likely to hire someone in my group. I think because this is happening management is responsible for making a change.

Don't lose sight of the fact that we add value. I found that female customers confided in me, trusted my opinion and counted on me to follow through with everything I promised. The majority of these female customers: 1) make the financial decisions for their family (as I do in mine), and 2) will outlive their husbands and inherit the assets. Get my drift? It would be very safe to say the male customers found me just as competent!

Cost cutting and micromanaging

Current Employee - Branch Banker in West Palm Beach, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Branch Banker in West Palm Beach, FL (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than a year)

Pros

entry level banking experience, good 401k and health care.

Cons

constant micro-managing, barrage of pointless emails all day, pension is awful, 10 days vacation for first 5 years, no career advancement into anything on retail side, no raises, low-ball starting salary, they can take away incentive you've earned, must follow chain of command to talk to anyone above you, never praised or awarded for hard work, always short staffed and required to do everyone else's job, high pressure sales everyday, call nights to generate sales, upper management comes off as arrogant and pretentious.

reward hard workers, let people advance, there is a reason why everyone is leaving, especially the producers. Hold upper management accountable.

Going down the tubes

Current Employee - Branch Banker III in Charlottesville, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Branch Banker III in Charlottesville, VA (US)

I have been working at BB&T part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people work in the branches, full benefits at 20 hrs/week, most clients are sweethearts

Cons

Management has lost touch with reality in regards to expectations for sales goals. The pressure is insane, and no one has the gumption to stand up and say "No, that's not realistic."

Get back in the branches and rediscover what happens there. You're far too out of touch with your lower-level associates, and they'll be leaving in droves if you keep up this behavior.