BB&T Reviews

Updated 17 September 2014
3.3

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King
Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• They have very good benefits and opportunities for advancement (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • In my specific role, there was not room for advancement (in 12 reviews)

• no room for advancement, sales goals that are met are never appreciated (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Changing Company

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Very employee oriented. Great benefits

Cons

Changing environment in leadership. It appears that compliance and account run the bank, but I am sure this is part of the banking environment we are in.

Great Company and Values

Current Employee - Accountant  in  Winston-Salem, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Accountant in Winston-Salem, NC (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

BB&T has exceptional benefits, treats their employees well and genuinely cares about giving back to the community.

Cons

You typically do a job for 2-ish years before you are appropriately compensated for it.

This is a great company to work for.

Former Employee - Business Service Assistant  in  Reno, NV (US)
    Former Employee - Business Service Assistant in Reno, NV (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

BB&T gives employees excellent training and the company provides great benefits There is always someone to contact to assist employees and customers when needed. I enjoyed my time with the company and would love an opportunity to return.

Cons

The company is based on the east coast and opted not to maintain offices in Nevada.

I believe the company could grow and proper in the Nevada market.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

I worked at BB&T

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Communication was lacking at times.

My co-workers were like family.

Former Employee - Certified Senior Teller  in  Fayetteville, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Certified Senior Teller in Fayetteville, NC (US)

I worked at BB&T part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My hours were pretty set, and my supervisor was awesome at scheduling. I really enjoyed the clients as well.

Cons

Huge emphasis on selling products, and large turnover.

Have a better system for float or fill in tellers.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Credit Analyst
    Current Employee - Credit Analyst

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than a year

Pros

Solid career advancement, promotions are done mostly internally, very mutually supportive atmosphere, low employee turnover, and fantastic training programs.

Cons

Typically lower salaries than other competitive banks.

Good place to work

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Schedule was flexible and manager was family friendly

Cons

I was a contractor so lack of benefits was the only con.

Too many politics

Former Employee - Semi-technical In Nature
    Former Employee - Semi-technical In Nature

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Better than average benefits. Solid overall company that is not going bankrupt any time soon.

Cons

Difficult to move to other departments. Too many games played, once it's determined that you're not happy in your current department. The fraternity boy types are rewarded with managerial jobs, because they all golf and hang out together, or they've found their way into a manager's heart higher up the food chain. If you tell the truth, and it is determined that management is culpable, it will be ignored or you will be ostracized. Great place to be a manager, as long as you're good at the social game, brown-nosing, and politicking (as long as you're aligned with the people that win that game, otherwise you'll eventually be shown the door or be pigeon-holed into a dead-end career). Technology is a bit limited, and they've taken all of their training dollars away, except for "important" resources like developers making their highest visibility tool.

Listen to your employees when they complain, and make real changes. Provide training, or your employees' skill sets will become stagnant. Realize that you have a real problem in some of your departments as it pertains to management. If employees in a given division are complaining about their management, they can't ALL be wrong, can they?

Great Company, Bad Management

Current Employee - Teller
    Current Employee - Teller

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wonderful benefits, Great Peak health program that helps pay for insurance. Training programs

Cons

Working on Saturdays, Management is less than Good. No two branches are the same. Its not easy to advance if you are a woman, Cutbacks and hiring freezes are constantly hurting the teller line which hurts the clients. I work at a very small branch that is used to the same people, but since i have been here we are on our 3rd RB (now BB) lost multiple bodies here that are not replaced. Many branches have been severely hurt by the latest "cut backs". We do not feel important as a team. We used to have Teller appreciation week every year but that has stopped and we are not even recognized anymore. If we are the "FACE" of BB$T then we should be shown that we are cared about. We feel undervalued and overlooked. Morale is down to almost 0%!!

Take a Good look at your Market leaders. They are not doing the job you think they are. They are cutting out early on days they shouldn't, and not going on "sales calls". Instead they are using that time to do personal things.Look at the smaller branches that you are hurting with these cutbacks. The more you cut back the less people are walking in the door. They have lost their trust in us as a company. And bring the goals down to a more realistic number. Smaller branches can not do the same as these larger branches do.

Rollercoaster ride

Current Employee - Branch Banker
    Current Employee - Branch Banker

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits, attainable goals, work/life balance

Cons

Short staffed constantly, productive employees are not recognized for meeting or exceeding goals. Software is outdated and slow. Too much upper management, who are never seen visiting the branches to observe what cutting jobs is doing to the moral of the employees and trust of the customers,

Get out and visit the branches, branches that are meeting and exceeding there goals should not be the ones to take the biggest hits in staffing, you are setting them up to fail. Follow up on the scheduled business calls ML are setting, because they are NOT going on calls. If every ML were doing what they were suppose to we would not be cutting employees because they would be generating revenue! Wake up Management! We aren't having PK, PCE or weekly sales meetings. I know ML's who do absolutely nothing to generate business or loans, their branch bankers do all the work, or they get what walks through the door. Also did you know you have ML's who cant cover for a BB long enough for them to take a lunch? Aren't all employees entitled to get a lunch during a 9 hr day?

Worked for BB&T? Contribute to the Community!