BB&T Reviews

Updated 29 August 2014

3.3

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King
Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• They have very good benefits and opportunities for advancement (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • In my specific role, there was not room for advancement (in 12 reviews)

• no room for advancement, sales goals that are met are never appreciated (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Credit Analyst
    Current Employee - Credit Analyst

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than a year

Pros

Solid career advancement, promotions are done mostly internally, very mutually supportive atmosphere, low employee turnover, and fantastic training programs.

Cons

Typically lower salaries than other competitive banks.

Good place to work

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Schedule was flexible and manager was family friendly

Cons

I was a contractor so lack of benefits was the only con.

My experience with BB&T was both good and bad and very challenging..

Former Employee - Financial Center Manager  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Center Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

BB&T places high emphasis on continuing education and always has opportunities for growth. The company has excellent benefits.

Cons

For those in branch management positions, the job requires an inordinate amount of time.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to work!

Current Employee - Teller Part Time  in  Boone, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Teller Part Time in Boone, NC (US)

I have been working at BB&T part-time for more than a year

Pros

The team of people whom I worked with were wonderful!
    Get lots of long weekends due to bank holidays.
    You learn a lot about banking

Cons

lunch hours are never consistent

Have a program where all upper management have to have experience from the bottom up, that way the know what to expect and understand what is obtainable by lower end management.

Relationship

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

benefits, salary, personal growth, leadership, opportunity.

Cons

short staff, constant shifting, everyone needs to be cross trained, Saturday hours, branch info is horrible.

BB&T teller interview

Current Employee - Part Time Teller  in  Emporia, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Part Time Teller in Emporia, VA (US)

I have been working at BB&T part-time for less than a year

Pros

good company with great benefits! and off for your birthday. There a lot of branches on the east coast, so you will be able to transfer to different areas. Also have a lot of different career oppurtunities

Cons

Company has had a lot of cut backs lately. Employees that have been there 20+ years have been cut back to part time hours.

Be considerate

Started off good but went down hill

Current Employee - Part Time Teller  in  Wilmington, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Part Time Teller in Wilmington, NC (US)

I have been working at BB&T part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with and for, not major sales pressure, great benefits, good work/life balance, good perks, federal holidays and accumulated vacations days off, decent pay in comparison to other banks.

Cons

Been here for a year and have seen a major change in company culture, especially in the past six months. Changes at both branch and corporate levels, making it a bit more stressful, to a point of worry about job security. Past six months have lead to a few layoffs, short staffing which leads to longer wait times and more frustrated clients and no end on sight especially with hiring freeze. Other than that, usual cons especially being part time like having to float to other branches, a few monotonous moments, software and hardware seems a bit dated, but this comes with the territory and job title, if you couldn't handle those simple problems, I'm not sure you could do the job.

The upper management really needs to get its act together and start hiring again. Being short at the teller level adds to stresses of everyone at the branch level. The management inconsistent views have turned from really caring about the client and the employee, to us employees just feeling like a B or C number and clients just being another deposit account or another loan and can and will have to deal with waiting an hour just to get into their safety deposit box or waiting 20 minutes to deposit one check. This hiring freeze and moving people around and short staffing in branches and making us employees feel like crud is really going to drive those good employees that deserve more into roles with other companies and leave you left with those employees that aren't worth a damn and don't care about the job and clients that have gone elsewhere because they may me treated better at another institution.

It all starts at the teller level, start treating us good again and drop the dead weight at the branch and corporate levels and the sky is the limit.

Grew up as a community bank - can't be a real commercial bank

Current Employee - Business Service Officer
    Current Employee - Business Service Officer

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Balance is decent, and most people are generally really easy to get along with. Executive management is very personable, and they do come to the regions at least once a year. Benefits are above industry standard and generally speaking there is a lot of people who work really hard.

Cons

Good-ole boy bank, it's who you know if you want to move-up. They are taking a retail approach to commercial business (i.e. scorecards, tick marks, referrals, and micro-managing). Segmentation is very messed up for the sales goals on the commercial side, which is tough to hit your goals unless you hit some wins. Bank is fundamentally controlled by credit - so is pricing. Sometimes conservative in spite of itself, and can't grasp the market competition in the general C&I space. Only place the bank is doing well is in small business lending, specialized credit, and CRE... tough if you are a seasoned C&I banker.

Salary is okay, bonus compensation is crummy at best. If you're new to the bank, negotiate for a high salary because expecting a bonus that is sizable is going to be painful despite hitting goals.

Redefine the commercial segments, let bankers fundamentally do their job and get deals done. Credit folks need to realize we can take some risk with a $190B balance sheet on smaller deals, and on top of that we shouldn't be afraid or syndicate deals and going after $50-100mm credits in large markets. It's time to step up to the plate and stop playing little-league.

Middle-management needs to get over themselves and their titles - but hey, that's banking.

RIF's are getting to be the NORM

Current Employee - Market Leader
    Current Employee - Market Leader

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Full benefits for PT employees.
    Holidays, vacation, and birthday's off

Cons

Lots of micro-managing--conference calls, meetings, call nights, reports to complete when management can pull the results themselves.
    Stressful work environment--the impression of never doing enough.
    Sales goals that are unattainable.

After working for BB&T for 25 years, I was notified that my position was being eliminated. I should be angry about this....but strangely enough, my reaction was mostly one of relief. For the past two years, I have not been happy in the role and with the changes that have came along. BB&T has always prided itself on being a values driven company and as an employee, I believed that and felt that from upper management. That has drastically changed within the past two years and is still changing today. There is no recognition for any contributions made, only what else can you do for me? Stressful, horrible place to work! Most people that I know who have left the company have said that they are so much happier now.

Cutbacks are going to kill them in the end

Current Employee - Relationship Banker I
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker I

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a great company to work for. They have wonderful benefits. Getting my birthday off each year is great.

Cons

This is a "good boy society". If you do not fit into that mold it is difficult to find yourself advancing. The new branch positioning is not going to be a good move for their clients or the personnel that is left in the branches.

Instead of laying people off use your best resources to better this company. The money that is spent on marketing is excessive and a lot of the brochures and posters get thrown away each week because they are constantly changing or we are getting brochures that are already expired. Start using the multicultural branches to actually reach out to the Hispanic community instead of just sticking a label on there.

Worked for BB&T? Contribute to the Community!