BB&T

www.bbt.com
Profile Unclaimed

Growing company

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great training, if you ever have a question about something you can call branch info for help.

Cons

Not open about what is going on. You never get to interact with top managers so they don't get to know you, but these are the managers that control your career. They move employees around too much which makes the clients nervous. They have started moving away from their great mission statement and no longer are putting communities and employees first, it is all about the shareholders. If you make a big mistake you could be let go.

Promote people who have a college degree, who work hard, and show up everyday. Upper management needs to do a better job of going out there and knowing their employees. Upper managersneed to start working towards moving the company back to the Mission Statement and Core Values. If they did this would be the best bank to work for again but until then I hope they don't don't lose all of their great employees because they are stressing them out too much about hitting numbers every month instead of doing what needs to be done for the clients.

Work

I worked at BB&T

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Not enough time spent on quality training for the task. Training should be uninterrupted.

Know where to draw the line when it comes to friendship and hard workers.

Great benefits, marginal pay, hard to move up

Current Employee - Analyst in Winston-Salem, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Winston-Salem, NC (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company has great benefits and is mainly loyal to their employees. Usually work with competent team members who are willing to learn. Training program is excellent.

Cons

It is hard to move up within the company, especially to break into management. Company likes to promote from outside the bank which makes it hard to stay loyal because of the risk of getting stuck. Raises are once a year and are usually very minimal.

Pay and promote the employees like you want to keep them. It does not seem that the company is willing to put the time or effort into its current staff, causing many to be picked up by other companies with better pay.

Earn your seat at the Micromanagement Table

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Retirement Match, Insurance, Banking hours

Cons

Micromanagement, Dated methods of thinking, Telemarketing

Need fresh ideas, don't stretch current employees too thin, value your current relationships with employees and clients, stop buying more banks and start making the ones you have quality

No room for growth

Former Employee - Market Leader
    Former Employee - Market Leader

I worked at BB&T

Pros

Benefits were not bad, they still offer pension.

Cons

no opportunity for growth. short staffed, moving towards 100% sales. vacation is 10 days for 5 years after 5th year you get another week for the next 5 years. there is definitely a buddy buddy system, you are either in the man club or your not, if you are in you will grow and have a lot of opportunity if not good luck! and managers, upper managers do not know how how to do any of the work they are asking the employees to do.

Stop looking at a piece of paper to determine if someone is performing well or not, there are a lot of employees who work SLOW and look good on paper when in reality the rest of the team have to pick up the extra load making them work harder resulting in more errors or less time to sale. don't give empty promises to hard working employees. Value your employees because with out them you would not have a running company.

Sneaky but productive

Former Employee - Teller Part Time in Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Teller Part Time in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at BB&T part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Productive environment.
    Good entry level skills training.
    Pay is better than most.

Cons

Management will crush you if you disagree.
    Old school thought process.
    Sales leads often already worked.

Clean up retail level and alleviate power tripping micro-management.

Mixed review as employee but a great place to be a client.

Current Employee - Client Facing Administrative to Wealth
    Current Employee - Client Facing Administrative to Wealth

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working at BB&T Wealth in re: my internal partners from Trust Ops., Commercial Lending, Financial Planning, Portfolio Managers, etc.

If you're looking for great Benefits, look no further.

Cons

Don't expect advancement or a promotion at age 45+ if you are a female... it's quite difficult. You might find the atmosphere turns unpleasant. Sort of a 'how dare you' attitude. Most of the client facing key players in BB&T Wealth are in their 30's (mostly male and a few female); except management, most of whom are mid 40's - 60's and almost all male.

They're salary offer will be a bit lower than you may expect... my suggestion ask for an extra week of vacation:)

to: Upper Management

I sought advancement so that I could have a more mentally stimulating and content challenging career. Also so I could make more money to provide a better lifestyle for myself and my family, save for retirement, rent a beach house for a week in the summer, enjoy my hobby, etc.

You are not giving women over 45 years of age opportunities for advancement in BB&T Wealth.

I'd suggest you add oversight so that your mostly male (mostly middle aged) managers do not overlook women in the 45+ age group. And you need to create a Liaison role where that person can coordinate with HR and hiring managers when they have an internal qualified candidate in my age group. You need to set clear guidelines and expectations for that person. Managers need to have support from upper management and the resources available just like they do when they bring on the younger person.

*I don't think you should rely on your recruiting team to assist my age group. I found them to be disinterested, indifferent or rude (not returning phone calls). I think they receive mixed messages from management as to what their role is. I don't think they know how to help my age group navigate within the system. I think they don't champion my age group well with internal managers looking to fill a position. I think they receive no incentive to be helpful. I think they have no oversight themselves. I think many internal managers pushed to meet goals are less likely to hire someone in my group. I think because this is happening management is responsible for making a change.

Don't lose sight of the fact that we add value. I found that female customers confided in me, trusted my opinion and counted on me to follow through with everything I promised. The majority of these female customers: 1) make the financial decisions for their family (as I do in mine), and 2) will outlive their husbands and inherit the assets. Get my drift? It would be very safe to say the male customers found me just as competent!

30-Hr Relationship Banker II (Save the World Worker I)

Former Employee - Relationship Banker II
    Former Employee - Relationship Banker II

I worked at BB&T part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Part Time benefits (insurance/401k)
    Decent Pay
    Paid Vacation
    Great co-workers

Cons

Sales pushy
    Lack of schedule flexibility
    Time off (weird system of vacation selection)
    Bosses throwing you under the bus
    Having to keep a straight face when you'd really like to tell the person in front of you "YOU overdrew. This is completely YOUR fault!)
    Horribly scripted save the world speech to new "clients"

Not everyone is able to be universal employee. Being a teller requires a certain set of skills that not everyone is equipped with. The idea that no means not right now is completely false; it means no unless I tell you otherwise. REspect your clients and be more clear with your policies. So many "clients" were taken advantage of because of sneek fees and it was usually senior citizens on fixed budgets.

Teller

I worked at BB&T

Pros

Co-workers & paid federal holidays

Cons

Working Saturdays wasn't fun; Paranoia of frequent branch audits from corporate.

The job was great. I'd recommend BB&T for anyone that wants a career in banking. Management really cares about its employees.

I had a good experience as a contractor.

Current Contractor - Operations in Durham, NC (US)
    Current Contractor - Operations in Durham, NC (US)

I have been working at BB&T as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The department I worked in had flexibility with hours and working remotely if needed.

Cons

It was only a contract job.