BB&T Reviews

Updated 28 August 2014

3.3

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King
Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• They have very good benefits and opportunities for advancement (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • In my specific role, there was not room for advancement (in 12 reviews)

• no room for advancement, sales goals that are met are never appreciated (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

The company has been good to me in the time I worked there.

Current Employee - Senior Teller
    Current Employee - Senior Teller

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

BB&T is a good company to work for, there is opportunity to grow and make a career.

Cons

The part that is not working for me is the schedule. It changes every week and I don't feel I have the freedom to work with my time.

Good to start with and grow

Current Employee - Certified Relationship Banker II  in  Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Certified Relationship Banker II in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great training, positive people, very supportive

Cons

Regional managers have no understanding at branch level of what it takes to be Successful.

Needs to be more involved in branches

My department was better than the overall corporation

Former Employee - Digital  in  Raleigh, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Digital in Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are awesome. Work-life balance was great (good vacation) and the company is very ethical and promotes family values. I had an awesome supervisor. He/She was "one of us" before getting promoted, so really understood the work.

Cons

In my specific role, there was not room for advancement. Once my boss got promoted, that's it -- they would have to leave before another opp for advancement came open. (We were a pretty specialized team.) So, it was out-to-go-up for me. I think Senior Management (outside of our building), and some of the product managers as well, had no idea what we did on a day-to-day, or how specialized/difficult it was. So, I think we were under-appreciated outside of our team.

Also, even though we were a non-client-facing team, we had to dress the part ("because everyone else has to.")

Pay folks what they are worth. Don't use outdated comps to justify low salaries. Let those who don't see clients -- ever -- enjoy a relaxed dress code.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

BB&T Once Was a Great Company to Work For

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent benefits and office hours are nice

Cons

What has happened to this bank? Thank God I left July 2014! I became part of BB&T in a merger and was immediately pleased and loved the company I worked for. All associates and managers were nice and super supportive. The past year - year and a half... morale is TERRIBLE! This is probably due to enormous layoffs in 2013 and 2014. Unfortunately now if you are an employee or client of BB&T, you are only a number. No appreciation shown for consistently being a top performer. I don't know what went wrong other than maybe John Allison retiring. BB&T is banking BIG BUCKS- why jeopardize your reputation of "PCE" to your clients? I have never seen a bank with so little employees inside. Clients do not like it and frankly- it's NOT SAFE.

What is going on? I was with BB&T for 7 years and was considered a top performer consistently. Morale is HORRIBLE. I know everyone in top management is angry at declining service scores. I am going to be really honest with you... get used to it. By eliminating people in the branch, clients have to wait long periods of time and they don't like it... no matter how you spin it. I feel you have made too drastic and detrimental decisions lately. The Small Town USA's of BB&T are not going to like this change. Unfortunately, you are losing very valuable employees because they are getting better jobs where they are treated better (that is including me- yes I was CONSISTENTLY a top performer). Treat your employees like they are number and they will start doing the same to your clients. Have more realistic views of how a branch ACTUALLY operates than looking on paper and thinking you know how one does. I am very very sad to leave my clients and my associates...what a shame. Think about people and not numbers... this includes clients and associates. Follow your own values.

Good place to work

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Pay is OK. Not the best in the industry but not the worst. You are also able to have a good work life balance. When projects are due you will be expected to work until your part is completed, but normally the pace is reasonable.

Cons

Advancing in your career can be a challenge. Some people stay in their same role forever. You must make your own path as management doesn't seem to promote from within based on job performance alone. It can be done but networking is key.

Watch for employees who perform beyond their job grade and promote from within. This will make employees feel worthwhile so they continue to perform at a high level.

Don't think this is a small, community bank anymore!

Former Employee - Market Leader II  in  Marietta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Market Leader II in Marietta, GA (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

time off, employees you work with.

Cons

Not good management training, conference calls on Mondays and Fridays where you get yelled out for not making your numbers. Events, working more than 1 saturday a month, no comp time for saturday. short staffed, when they loose someone, they don't replace them. Management makes you think that you have it good but you really don't. Treat their manager's like crap! The whole culture has changed with John Allison retiring. Employees are miserable, management gets blamed for everything. You are always pulled in 100 different directions. Sales, sales, sales even if the client doesn't need it!

Don't ridicule the managers when they don't make their numbers or if they do, don't just brush it off! Treat people like professionals.

At least they have a pension plan

Current Employee - Branch Banker III
    Current Employee - Branch Banker III

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Clients are amazing. Having holidays off is nice. Birthday off is nice. What would be awesome would being able to go on vacation when you have it scheduled. What good is it to have 4 weeks of vacation if you can't use it:(

Cons

Salary
    Hours
    Resources
    Empathy
    Motivation from management default response "be thankful you even have a job"

I think BBT has dug itself in a hole and I really don't see them being able to get out of it. Hopefully they will get bought out by someone who knows what they are doing.

Branch banker IV

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Pay is better than competitors,

Cons

Under staff, 6 day week schedule,

I think if the employees changed their attitudes from negative to positive that would solve 95% of the issues

Current Employee - Senior Teller  in  Columbia, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Teller in Columbia, SC (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

you have the privilege of having your birthday off, 6% 401k match, you receive vacation within your first year of employment, longevity, team mates are flexible and helping, lots of training, classes, and quarterly test to keep you informed and up to par with your job description, there is an incentive in place called "peak health" where you can receive your medical health care benefits at a discounted price

Cons

the management tends to play favorites, the employees that have tenure and have been there for years all have problems and issues streaming from all of the disappointments they have had to endure over all the years they have been employed with the company. They become BITTER instead of BETTER. That can be a problem for new hires because they come in over joyed to be employed by BB&T and after 3-6 months of dealing with bitter employees they are on other websites clicking on "careers", poor morale, they don't understand that HAPPY employees play a HUGE part in "THE PERFECT CLIENT EXPERIENCE"
    There is an employee merit program called
    Peak Health is hard to maintain and get the discount if you aren't already living a healthy life style
    Little to NO room for advancement
    Some members of management do not act professional or display their leadership skills well for example they talk about other employees among other team members. Which in part is the reason for the resentment and bitterness towards the company.

instead of paying to have envelopes mailed to each employee with hardly nothing but a piece of paper in them announcing new promotions (we are already informed about the upcoming promotions whether through the company personal email or in Monday and Thursday team meetings), it would be wise to use that same money and put towards improving the MORALE of the company. Kelly King, the president of BB&T, does a luncheon with some employees annually. I, honestly, do not know how it is determined which employees get to attend but I don't think its fair nor justifiable that only "certain" ones get to attend. It should be as to where anyone who wants to attend should be able to. It should be done AFTER work hours to ensure that anyone that wants to attend can do so.

Good company, limited room for growth

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent balance of work/life and good benefits with the company.

Cons

It's hard to move up in the center that I am in, women seem to be promoted more than men, who are more qualified for the position.

Worked for BB&T? Contribute to the Community!